• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

qindarka

Banned
wut

Fucking hell is there a more stupid set of fans than the modern Chelsea ones? Some of them are good apples of course - sweet Fady, lovely Kyle, measured qindarka, cunt Quiche - but what the fuck are they doing, after the Anton/Rio business?

Do they just cheer against their own team now?

Thank you for generalizing. Do you seriously think that this sort of thing is unique to clubs, that one set of fans will be morally superior to another. We are talking millions here, it all balances out, its the circumstances that cause fans to behave one way or another.

Not condoning the booing. Benayoun's had a rough time. First time I ever watched Chelsea live was in Bukit Jalil where he was widwly subjected to boos motivated by anti-Semism.

Someone on fb saw a tv segment on ZDF (sort of like BBC) in which the reporter said he has sources confirming that this was leaked by Bayern officials in light of the Hoeneß scandal. He called it a foul to the German football.

fuck bayern death to bayern

I'm searching for ideas about what to do with a horrible BVB shirt from last year, got some shitty number, like 11 or something, some shit player. Open for everything.

Clegg

Gotze didn't even inform BVB of his intentions? That's an prickish thing to do.

If that's the case then he'll fit in well at Bayern.

Let's be clear on this, Bayern didn't want to reveal this deal to Dortmund before their match against Madrid according to their official press release.

Someone leaked it, and I doubt it was Gotze's party. There is no advantage to it coming from Gotze's side.

Also, Bayern have surely tapped Gotze up unless Dortmund are lying about not knowing about the deal?

Let's be clear on this, Bayern didn't want to reveal this deal to Dortmund before their match against Madrid according to their official press release.
They would say that.

Think about the parties involved. There is no reason at all for Dortmund or Gotze to want this to go public now. None at all. Only leaves Bayern..

Wilbur

Banned
In terms of competitiveness, it'll be worse. As awful as La Liga and SPL are/were for all the advantages belonging to two teams, that's at least better than having one team spending decades essentially using their financial muscle and reputation to poach players from teams who look like they could compete with them. Frankly, its a lazy and league-damaging transfer policy.

I remember a couple of months ago there was a bit of a Bayern wankathon on here with most people saying that all the Fuck Bayern stuff was a joke, but for me they genuinely deserve the moniker. I don't quite understand why Madrid get criticised constantly for the old Galacticos policy while Bayern are not for the way they conduct their business.

Gotze can absolutely fuck off. If he had a shred of integrity, he'd have told Bayern to leave it until the end of the season at least. As it is, he's ruled himself out of Dortmund's most important games for a long time, and ensured that the entire team will be under a cloud. He's basically jeapordised his team's chance of success for absolutely no reason.

In the space of 3 days we've seen two players completely letting their team's down, one through being a dangerous cunt on the pitch, one through being a selfish one off of it.

Good post.

GLORY, GLORY, MAN UNITED.

Congrats, my fellow Devils.

Oh, and frak off Gotze.

Thanks baby <3 here's hoping La Decima is on the way

Thank you for generalizing. Do you seriously think that this sort of thing is unique to clubs, that one set of fans will be morally superior to another. We are talking millions here, it all balances out, its the circumstances that cause fans to behave one way or another.

Not condoning the booing. Benayoun's had a rough time. First time I ever watched Chelsea live was in Bukit Jalil where he was widwly subjected to boos motivated by anti-Semism.

It seems to be unique to clubs that Chelsea in te last year have booed someone for being related to a player suspected of having received racist a use, have booed their manager time and time again and are now accused of being discriminatory towards their own player.

Special set of cunts. Not all of them, but the few that are doing it are letting the entire fan base down.

Arnie

Bolded the most important part of your post.

Who's benefitting, and who's suffering from today's news? Work backwards. I think it's highly logical that crushing your greatest rival's spirit the day before the biggest game in their history is by design. No matter how many official PR documents suggest otherwise.

Absolutely. I think the last thing Bayern wants right now is even more attention and chaos.

Dunno, but if this drops like a bomb in BVB lockers I think it can benefit Bayern.

They're scared that Dortmund can go pass to the final and actually win it. If this generates an internal fight in Dortmund they can take advantage of it.

Gambit

So happy with the Götze news, even though I didn't expect Bayern to go for him for another year or two. In fact, I also couldn't have imagined Götze wanting to leave his bro Reus so quickly.

In any case, I am happy with the transfer but the timing is awful. They should have waited till the season is over.

Maybe Dortmund's experiment with Gündogan as No. 10 will become the standard now. Good thing they got Sahin back. (and now have loads of cash)

Wilbur

Banned
Dortmund buys Reus and all is great.
Bayern buys Götze and it's the end of the world.

There's a difference between the two, to be fair. One wasnt gutting their main rivals. One wasnt done shadily in the dark. One wasnt leaked a day before a Champions League semifinal, nor in the midst of bad publicity for the team.

On one hand it's admirable in its ruthlessness and business manner. On the other, it's rather unsavoury.

scently

Happy Birthday Arnie, LLNP.

I get the hate for Bayern et al, but why did Dortmund include such a release clause in the contract? By including it in there it means they are willing to part with the player for a certain amount and surely Bayern would always be a potential buyer. Mind you, I don't like Bayern as a club mostly because of the manner of our quarter-final exit a few season ago but I really don't see anything wrong in what they did here. There were other club potentially lining up a bid for Gotze so they had to act fast. If anything, the fault should lie on Gotze himself and that's solely for the timing of the transfer and not the move itself.

derExperte

Absolutely. I think the last thing Bayern wants right now is even more attention and chaos. This is on every news channel, on every newspaper, it's the top news of today (in Germany). This is pretty distracting for us.

Right on. Bayern doesn't profit from this reveal one bit.

Also I hope all the talk about Lewandowski was only a diversion. Don't want him, let's keep Gomez.

Fady K

I'm pissed at Bayern for a number of reasons. Tactical or not - their timing is absolutely horrible. Disrespectful in every sense of the word. Disrespectful even by Gotze to allow this announcement to come out early. If there is any disharmony in the Dortmund camp that disrupts their Champions League campaign he will only look worse. I also disrespect Bayern greatly after this because they have only acquired some of the best talents in all of Europe (a lot of which have arrived only this season! Dante, Shaqiri, Mandzukic, etc) + the coup of Pep Guardiola, and yet they take away one of Dortmund's key players. This reminds me of Electronic Arts when they took away the NFL license from 2k Games in the early 2000s when 2k was heating up the competition. And if Lewandowski goes to Bayern as well, then they deserve to be hated more.

For once, United actually look more respectful to me, and that is saying a lot coming from me.

Man, shock of my life scrolling through and seeing your picture - it's been years. Didn't you support an Italian team at university though? :p

Whoa! We met bro? PM me and identify yourself :D I supported the Italian national team at the World Cup due to my fondness for Cannavaro, Del Piero, Pirlo and Buffon especially.

Oh shit, real life Fady friend?

Has he always been this... nice and cuddly?

I'm surprised myself - I never imagined bumping into someone I met - on GAF.

I have not bro. I have started becoming nicer a few years ago ;D

You met Fady? You're my idol.

He'd be my idol if he met you bro :D

My man, the more you are here the better. We need to have a kind soul among all the dark ones (FF, pulga, Andres, Wilbury). Btw you have the same name as my cousin.........unless you're him!?

Thank you kindly Suen. You are so kind! Good luck to Arsenal in their top four bid and to Real Madrid in the CLs. Where is your cousin from :0?

Nah, I went to AUS though.

Fady was one of the first people I ever met at uni, I'd never seen anyone with that many games before. But we ended up moving in two completely different circles (I was in engineering, he did media I think) plus he was in dorms and I lived in Sharjah so paths didn't cross much.

I honestly don't remember because he didn't seem too into football then. I remember confusing the fuck out of everyone because I was a huge Liverpool fan in an environment where practically no one watched English football.

Of course, my first year at uni was 2004/2005 so pretty much everyone knew who we were by the end of it.

Man, that was such a boss season.

PM me :D I am very curious now :) Haha - you remembered my videogame collection :D Still as big a fan as ever! You are right about it all btw - I was in media and I wasn't into football much at *all* back then. My huge love for football was born in January 2011!

I need to meet Fady!

I need to meet you too dan! One of the nicest and kindest posters here.

Your avatar confused me and I thought this was fady with his Fergie avatar while reading the post. It made me scared.

Haha! I'll probably not stick up an avatar of the Sir until he retires.

Fady's a notorious potty mouth nowadays.

Surely you jest :p

Please tell me it was Inter.
KuGsj.gif

I have bad news for you Yurt :p It was not a club but it was the Italian national team overall as I was fond of many of their players (as i mentioned above - Cannavaro, Del Piero, Pirlo and Buffon especially)

I'm 21 today.

Happy bday Arnie! Have a wonderful day bro :)

The announcement is such a dick move. Right before a massive semi-final. Fuck Bayern.

It is a horrible move indeed!

Who wants Mikel? anyone?

I actually like Mikel Shatner! He can hold the ball pretty well unlike many of our players. What don't you guys like about him?

wut

Fucking hell is there a more stupid set of fans than the modern Chelsea ones? Some of them are good apples of course - sweet Fady, lovely Kyle, measured qindarka, cunt Quiche - but what the fuck are they doing, after the Anton/Rio business?

Do they just cheer against their own team now?

Thanks for the kind words Wilbury but I think it is just a small group of fans involved and they were rightly booing the sub decision by Rafa - they were proven right. Benayoun's intro added nothing to the game, made it feel like CFC were playing with one man less.

Wes

venison crêpe
Fuck Bayern lol.

So Dortmund have Gotze and also Lewandowski leaving in the summer.

Dortmund forever going to be that plucky team who everyone takes players from but continually churn out their own youngsters and are entertaining to watch.

So like a successful version of Arsenal.

Gambit

Unsurprisingly, the old tale of Bayern just poaching players is getting played again.

Götze is a phenomenal player. Bayern didn't buy him first and foremost to weaken BVB as everyone is saying. They bought him because he's fantastic, German and only 20. Who knows if they'd even get the chance in two years time? Barca, Real, ManUnited could be willing to drop the money and Bayern would lose out. Look at Özil, who is gone for good.

The fact that Dortmund is losing Götze is secondary to that.

Also I hope all the talk about Lewandowski was only a diversion. Don't want him, let's keep Gomez.

agreed.

qindarka

Banned
It seems to be unique to clubs that Chelsea in te last year have booed someone for being related to a player suspected of having received racist a use, have booed their manager time and time again and are now accused of being discriminatory towards their own player.

Special set of cunts. Not all of them, but the few that are doing it are letting the entire fan base down.

Regarding the Rio affair, while I am sure that some are booing him solely because of his relation to Anton, he had not done himself any favors either. Many Chelsea fans have disliked him before the affair and especially after he conducted himself so badly during it, what with his shenanigans on Twitter. It's unfair to accuse all those booing him to be motivated purely by his relation to Anton. Fans boo players they don't like, it's nothing new.

I'm glad you are referring to those morons as a minority now. Your previous phrasing made it seem as if they were the majority and us posters in this thread were the minority.

And yes, booing is manager isn't very cool. I don't hate Benitez but he has done an appalling job and was replacing a fan-favorite who was harshly sacked, it's really not hard to understand their feelings. Certainly doesn't rank that highly at all on a scale of despicable acts.

Again, I'm not exactly condoning this behaviour. It's just that I have always been noticing a trend to make football into a 'moral' issue, whereby fans like to pretend their teams are morally superior, whether in terms of their players and fans. And I believe a lot of this is fake, fans are primarily motivated by club loyalty and seem to want to clutch onto 'higher ideals' in order to justify their superiority. Also think that when so many people are involved, it's impossible for it to be an individual matter. It's not that the genes of Chelsea fans are predisposing them to bad behaviour or anything, humans really don't behave that differently among each other. Similar situations would breed similar reactions in most other clubs, I feel.

I may have been a little harsh on Suarez recently, what with asking for his punishment to take place next year and all. Really though, I am just pissed about the 2 dropped points, i really couldn't give a shit about Suarez any more. Just to show how I'm guilty of such behaviour which I denounced as well.

Happy Birthday Arnie, LLNP.

I get the hate for Bayern et al, but why did Dortmund include such a release clause in the contract? By including it in there it means they are willing to part with the player for a certain amount and surely Bayern would always be a potential buyer. Mind you, I don't like Bayern as a club mostly because of the manner of our quarter-final exit a few season ago but I really don't see anything wrong in what they did here. There were other club potentially lining up a bid for Gotze so they had to act fast. If anything, the fault should lie on Gotze himself and that's solely for the timing of the transfer and not the move itself.
Yep but I assume Gotze demanded it in his contract.

£31m is below what he would have been worth otherwise IMO

Kyoufu

Dortmund forever going to be that plucky team who everyone takes players from but continually churn out their own youngsters and are entertaining to watch.

They won't be successful much. Can't beat Guardiola with just your youth system unless your name is Barcelona.

Salazar

James Ducker &#8207;@DuckerTheTimes 57s
For all title talk, you see Gotze soon to join Bayern midfield boasting Schweinsteiger/Martinez/Kroos and it underlines #MUFC weakness there

OXzr2hj.gif

Glazer bros and Woodward-chan have some meetings to schedule.

Lightning

Banned

In the PL it's different. Selling your best players gets you Aston Villa's situation where you go from top 6 to relegation fodder on Wigan's level. Two can play that smartass game.

Hmm. Nah, still not worth buying it until I have time to play it. Must have wasted hundreds of pounds these last 5 years buying games at release, and them being far cheaper when I get around to playing them.

I can watch replays of Man Utd celebrating titles, but everytime it happens in the moment, I honestly feel physically sick and feel like planting my size 10 through the TV screen.

Wes

venison crêpe
They won't be successful much. Can't beat Guardiola with just your youth system unless your name is Barcelona.

But the rest of the bundesliga aren't much to shout about right now. They'll make the Champions League each year as long as Klopp is there.

Fady K

In terms of competitiveness, it'll be worse. As awful as La Liga and SPL are/were for all the advantages belonging to two teams, that's at least better than having one team spending decades essentially using their financial muscle and reputation to poach players from teams who look like they could compete with them. Frankly, its a lazy and league-damaging transfer policy.

I remember a couple of months ago there was a bit of a Bayern wankathon on here with most people saying that all the Fuck Bayern stuff was a joke, but for me they genuinely deserve the moniker. I don't quite understand why Madrid get criticised constantly for the old Galacticos policy while Bayern are not for the way they conduct their business.

Gotze can absolutely fuck off. If he had a shred of integrity, he'd have told Bayern to leave it until the end of the season at least. As it is, he's ruled himself out of Dortmund's most important games for a long time, and ensured that the entire team will be under a cloud. He's basically jeapordised his team's chance of success for absolutely no reason.

In the space of 3 days we've seen two players completely letting their team's down, one through being a dangerous cunt on the pitch, one through being a selfish one off of it.

EXCELLENT POST.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-jpBA.gif

Man City's reign as Premierleague champions is the shortest ever.

This is what it feels like to be City.

Still an excellent achievement when their manager is Roberto Mancini (a big negative IMO). Just because they have the funds doesn't mean they know how to play like a team - and you have to have noticed that this season for the most part. The fact that they won the PL under such circumstances is awesome.

Kyoufu

Hmm. Nah, still not worth buying it until I have time to play it. Must have wasted hundreds of pounds these last 5 years buying games at release, and them being far cheaper when I get around to playing them.

It's 13 quid.

That's less than the number of titles Man Utd have won.

But the rest of the bundesliga aren't much to shout about right now. They'll make the Champions League each year as long as Klopp is there.

Of course, but qualifying for CL every year in a poor league isn't exactly "success" for Dortmund at this point.

Hell, would you say City have been successful this season by being default #2?

Clegg

If we sign a CM this summer then it won't be a big name one. All of those seem settled at their current clubs bar Modric.

But he'll probs stay at Madrid anyway.

EXCELLENT POST.

http://img.pandawhale.com/36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-jpBA.gif[/IMG

Still an excellent achievement when their manager is Roberto Mancini (a big negative IMO). Just because they have the funds doesn't mean they know how to play like a team - and you have to have noticed that this season for the most part. The fact that they won the PL under such circumstances is awesome.[/QUOTE]They spent £500m.

Good for them, but I'm not that impressed.

He was commenting how he was building a home in Dortmund just several months ago after signing a new contract with them last year. Clubs were interested him before he did this, so its a surprise he would jump ship so quickly especially after Dortmund's CL run.

What has Dortmund-GAF said about this

Contracts have no meaning anymore.

It's 13 quid.

That's less than the number of titles Man Utd have won.

Add it up bro.

Far Cry 3
Prince of Persia
Bioshock 2
PSASBR
Dead Space 2

All of them bought for full price on release, none of them have been put into my PS3. With the PS4 coming out, I'm tightening the purse-strings a bit, as well as putting my PC plans on ice :(

Still impulse buying books though :p

I'm 21 today.

I send out my newly found wisdom to Dortmund fans:

Players come and go. They leave for money, they leave for notoriety, and they always want to return. I'd rather have a manager like Klopp, and a stadium like the Westfalenstadion, than any player in the world.

Arnie <3

I'm not saying that Bayern aren't dicks, I just have no sympathy for Dortmund in this situation. What did they think would happen when they gave Gotze a release clause? Did they expect Bayern not to be interested in acquiring what is likely Germany's most promising young talent? If they wanted to give him a release clause so badly then they could have at least put a point in the contract where only teams outside of Germany could activate the release clause.
You make it sound as simple and such a stupid thing without knowing the background. Bitch's old contract was until 2014, so he'd have left this year or next year, anyway. With only one year left on the contract, who knows how much me would have gotten, certainly not much more than those €37m. And who knows if we had gotten anything at all. Not unlikely at all that Bayern would have just waited for his contract to run out.

So, hard to blame BVB. It was either give him a new contract with a sure 37m buyout or risk letting him go for free.

Top Bottom