• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

rvy

Banned
Come on, Barca!

aakzxh7.gif

Kenka

Mine is similar enough:

Neuer
Lahm-Martinez-Dante-Alaba
Schweini
Kroos-Götze
Müller-Mandzukic-Ribery

Configuration I:
Neuer
Lahm-Kirchhoff-Dante-Alaba
Schweini
Kroos-Götze
Müller-Mandzukic-Ribery

Config II:
Neuer
Lahm-Badstuber-Dante-Alaba
Gustavo-Schweini
Martinez-Kroos
Müller-Götze

Config III:
Neuer
Lahm-Badstuber-Dante-Alaba
Can-Martinez-Hojbjerg
Schweini
Shaq-Müller

Config IV:
Neuer
Lahm-Martinez-Dante-Alaba
Shaq-Can-Schweini-Hojbjerg
Ribéry
Müller

So Chelsea it is, then. We're got Llorente incoming, no need for Gomez. Isn't he on some ridiculous salary as well? Like 10M€ or something?

I keep seeing this rumour about Gomez, and it makes me want to cry every time. Im not saying hes not a good player but I just don't want him. Falcao plz or Cavani.

spidye

I keep seeing this rumour about Gomez, and it makes me want to cry every time. Im not saying hes not a good player but I just don't want him. Falcao plz or Cavani.
he just scored a hat-trick in 6 minutes.
six goals in just one week and 10 goals in 15 games he played this season

So no matter where Pep ended up he wanted Gotze.

Can't really hate, it's just unfortunate Pep ended up at Bundesliga team. I'm sure lots of players want to play for Pep regardless of allegiances.

Do they expect to play like Messi/Iniesta/Xavi under Pep or something? Christ, do people not realise he was coaching arguably the best club side ever in 2011? What next, Vilanova to Man Utd?

Slizz

Do they expect to play like Messi/Iniesta/Xavi under Pep or something? Christ, do people not realise he was coaching arguably the best club side ever in 2011? What next, Vilanova to Man Utd?

Most CL winning teams are comprised of very good players....

While it might not be exactly equivalent there is a ton of talent at Bayern.

I hope he plays more next season.

Me too, I dunno if he will though, Evra, Jones, Smalling, Rafa, Fabio, Buttner

Blackhead

Redarse
Bayern Munich v Barcelona: Pep past v Pep future in a Pep-less present

Jonathan Wilson said:
Tuesday's tie – the meeting of two great sides of the age – could mark the transition from one generation to the next

Football too often denies us the truly epic tie, the meeting of the two great sides of the age, and it's perhaps that more than anything else that makes Tuesday night's Champions League semi-final between Bayern Munich and Barcelona so enticing.

This has the sense of an era-defining encounter:

As Miguel Delaney has pointed out, games in which a power just past its peak meets a new power on the rise have been remarkably infrequent – in part because Barça are the first side to command their era since the Juventus of the mid-90s (although the changing format and increased competition meant neither side reeled off hat-tricks of titles like the great sides of the past and their domination was reflected as much in their reputation and influence as in trophies)...

It's important, though, not to be drawn into the cliche of physical Germans against technical Spaniards, even if Bayern do have a slight physical edge. What will be fascinating is seeing not only the two best possession teams in Europe facing off, but also the two best pressing sides. Barcelona's players will never have been placed under such co-ordinated pressure on the ball as they are likely to be on Tuesday – and vice-versa. It's in the pressing as much as in his goals that Mario Mandzukic, suspended for the first leg, will be missed...

But these are the details. They may determine how the tie plays out but what will be remembered is the outcome, whether the age of Barça has yet become the age of Bayern.

Miguel Delaney said:
The second question, though, is whether the Germans will decide to stay true to their own approach and confront Barca on their terms. Bayern defender Dante is abrasively insistent that they will.

"Barcelona have a great team, the greatest show on earth," he told the Guardian. "But we are at our best at this moment in time, and we certainly won’t change our game for them. We don’t change for anyone."

Given how many sides have tried that approach against Barca over the past five years and failed, it is perhaps the facet of the tie with the greatest resonance as regards any continental shift. The reality of Champions League history, however, is that compromise, adjustment and evolution have all been necessary to give rise to the next era...

When Toni Kroos went off injured against Juventus, it was rightly viewed as a real blow and there is little doubt he would have started this game if fit. If his absence leads to the introduction of Arjen Robben, though, it may well condition Bayern to bypass midfield a little more and play a more direct, counterattacking game that is actually more conducive to defeating Barca...

And, on the eve of the game, Xavi returned to a familiar theme. Barca, the midfield architect said, are coming to Munich "at the right time." In so many senses, it certainly feels like it. It may well be another game for the ages.

C'mon BAAAAYEEEERN
It's your time. Let's see you do this
55% possession or bust

Scum

Mathematically, we could have Reading or QPR relegated by Sunday evening if either one lose and A. Villa get 3pts, right? 10pts behind and they play each other.

SMD

Whoa! We met bro? PM me and identify yourself :D I supported the Italian national team at the World Cup due to my fondness for Cannavaro, Del Piero, Pirlo and Buffon especially.

Everyone was bumming Italy in 2006, I never thought I'd see a Syrian draped in an Italian flag in my life.

PM me :D I am very curious now :) Haha - you remembered my videogame collection :D Still as big a fan as ever! You are right about it all btw - I was in media and I wasn't into football much at *all* back then. My huge love for football was born in January 2011!

PMed. And yeah I still remember your insane method of sorting games, apparently it made sense to you but if you're not sorting it by format, alphabet or genre then I dunno.

What the hell happened in January 2011? Nothing I can think of.

Clegg

Bayern are really setting themselves up now. They're building a team that could dominate Germany and compete at the highest level in Europe for the next 10 years. It's up to the rest of the big European teams to make sure that doesn't happen.

Gotze
Muller
Kroos
Alaba
Martinez
Shaqiri

Zabojnik

Zeman: "Nobody would say no to the nerazzurri."

Zeman to Inter. If this were to actually happen ... I don't know what I would do, frankly. It's like the ultimate dream of every Juve fan.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Usually I like to think of myself pretty neutral, or at least indifferent, but it would be so delicious to see Bayern destroyed at home, so go Barca.

Bayern are really setting themselves up now. They're building a team that could dominate Germany and compete at the highest level in Europe for the next 10 years. It's up to the rest of the big European teams to make sure that doesn't happen.

Gotze
Muller
Kroos
Alaba
Martinez
Shaqiri
Neuer too.

Glazers need to respond.

Promote Adnan.

Top Bottom