• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

although I think he "deserves" it more than messi this year it would be nice if someon else got it.
ronaldo and messi got it for 5 years straight.
If Bayern do the treble then somebody like Schweinsteiger could be a worthy candidate.

But I would be surprised if they looked beyond those 2.

Stupid award.

GorillaJu

Messi is injured for a few weeks and suddenly he's not the best player in Europe? Don't think that's quite how it works, friends. He's had one single bad game, and Cristiano hasn't exactly done anything that would hoist him up to Messi's level, aside from being the de facto choice if Messi were to be passed over, for one reason or another.

Messi is injured for a few weeks and suddenly he's not the best player in Europe? Don't think that's quite how it works, friends. He's had one single bad game, and Cristiano hasn't exactly done anything that would hoist him up to Messi's level, aside from being the de facto choice if Messi were to be passed over, for one reason or another.
Ronaldo has a chance, as in, if he helps Madrid win the CL then he would be have the most realistic shot he's had in a long time.

He's probably been as good as Messi in 2013 anyway.

spidye

If Bayern do the treble then somebody like Schweinsteiger could be a worthy candidate.

But I would be surprised if they looked beyond those 2.

Stupid award.

even if bayern do the treble I don't think anyone would even consider a bundesliga player for that award.
manuel neuer was the only player from bundesliga that got nominated for that award and he came in 19th out of 23

ronaldo did more in cl than messi this year. and it's certainly not only this game. messi has been incredible this season again but ronaldo is at least on the same level this year

Wilbur

Banned
martinez, shaqiri, kroos, gustavo, schweinsteiger, gotze. let's say the tymoshchuk leaves. how will guardiola make all of this work?

will he turn it into more of a 4-3-3 with just one defensive midfielder will gotze play as a fake #9?

i just don't see guardiola going with limited footballers like gomez and mandzukic in the central forward position.

bayern has better wingers than he had barcelona, so i don't think it'd be wise to replace them with midfielders.

I'm assuming they'll buy a new centre back because Boateng isn't that good lol and play 4-3-3. Kroos/Schweini/Martinez, Ribery/Götze/Muller.

It just dawned me that Cristiano finally has a realistic chance to win the Ballon d'Or.

I think Ronaldo's been as good as Messi this season, as I've said a few times.

Kenka

I think Schweinsteiger has a realistic chance to win the Ballon d'Or this year if Bayern crushes the competition in the CL final. No disrespect to Cronaldo, Messi, Van Persie and Lewandowski.

spidye

I think Schweinsteiger has a realistic chance to win the Ballon d'Or this year if Bayern crushes the competition in the CL final. No disrespect to Cronaldo, Messi, Van Persie and Lewandowski.

lolololol your avatar

fry pls make a new emoticon

Kenka

If Bayern kill Real/Dortmund in the final (say, 3-0) then this would be my top 10 for the Ballon d'Or rankings this year:
  1. Schweinsteiger
  2. Messi
  3. Ronaldo
  4. Van Persie
  5. Müller
  6. Iniesta
  7. Lewandowski
  8. Xavi
  9. Buffon
  10. Ibra

fuenf

I doubt a Bayern players would win the Ballon d'Or. It's too hard to single out a single player at Bayern... Ribery would probably deserve it just as much as Schweinsteiger.

Nyx

If Bayern kill Real/Dortmund in the final (say, 3-0) then this would be my top 10 for the Ballon d'Or rankings this year:
  1. Schweinsteiger
  2. Messi
  3. Ronaldo
  4. Van Persie
  5. Müller
  6. Iniesta
  7. Lewandowski
  8. Xavi
  9. Buffon
  10. Ibra

Buffon?

Doesn't he perform worse than ever this season?

spidye

I doubt a Bayern players won win the Ballon d'Or. It's too hard to single out a single player at Bayern... Ribery would probably deserve it just as much as Schweinsteiger.

even lahm would deserve one. he's been really great this season.
but again. no one from bundesliga will win this trophy. that's for sure

1. Schweinsteiger
  2. Messi
  3. Ronaldo
  4. Van Persie
  5. Müller
  6. Iniesta
  7. Lewandowski
  8. Xavi
  9. Buffon
  10. Ibra
If RVP hadn't bottled it so badly against Madrid he could have been a more realistic contender :(

GorillaJu

I hate how the Ballon D'or is practically a golden boot award. Muller and Schweinsteiger were fantastic vs Barca, but Javi Martinez took the cake for me. He was genius.

fuenf

even lahm would deserve one. he's been really great this season.
but again. no one from bundesliga will win this trophy. that's for sure

yep it's a lost cause for 2013, but in 2014 Schweini, Götze, Reus,Özil could be major players (provided Germany wins the WC)

I hate how the Ballon D'or is practically a golden boot award. Muller and Schweinsteiger were fantastic vs Barca, but Javi Martinez took the cake for me. He was genius.

I'd go farther and say that Javi is solely responsible for Schweini's renaissance

Zabojnik

Buffon?

Doesn't he perform worse than ever this season?

mirko_zps3be49f1e.gif

He's had one bad game. Bayern - Juve. It's been smooth sailing for him otherwise. Not that I'd consider him as a top 10 canditate anyway, just sayin'.

Wilbur

Banned

Yep. Was the ultimate personification of this Bayern team. Tough, relentless, skilful, worth 40m

fuenf

F'd up against Bayern but was the best keeper of the competition prior to the 1/4. Still the best Serie A player.

GK rankings are fucked up in general. I mean how would you rate Neuer's CL performance this year? He was extremely important, coordinated the defense, saved some important but you can't really rate him because the sample size is far too small.

Yep. Was the ultimate personification of this Bayern team. Tough, relentless, skilful, worth 40m

I fear that Barca will try to get him booked in the 2nd leg.

Blablurn

GK rankings are fucked up in general. I mean how would you rate Neuer's CL performance this year? He was extremely important, coordinated the defense, saved some important but you can't really rate him because the sample size is far too small.

I fear that Barca will try to get him booked in the 2nd leg.

I really wonder how much effort Barca will show in the 2nd leg.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Fady

Imagine:

A 'friendly' clasico
Juve and Inter exchanging shirts.
Hixx changing his hateful PSN name
United signing YNWA in Anfield.
Wooden supporting Brøndby because they're a historic side and they don't deserve to be relegated
Rafa/odd saying 'Sir' Alex Ferguson
Viva acknowledging Kenny's 'King' status
doicare giving credit to City
A world with no Lunchbox

No one is going to tune in or even post here. Hate is good for football. :p

It can also be a powerful motivational tool for the players. ;)

He joined Mino's agency a few weeks ago.

Iaquinta: "I'll leave Juve at the end of the season."

I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

Fucking leech.

@Fady

Imagine:

A 'friendly' clasico
United singing YNWA in Anfield.
Wooden supporting Brøndby because they're a historic side and they don't deserve to be relegated
Odd saying 'Sir' Alex Ferguson
A world with no Lunchbox

Fucking leech.

Hell would sooner freeze over

Hixx

@Fady

Imagine:

A 'friendly' clasico
A world with no Lunchbox

Fucking leech.

How is Jonno73 hateful Yurt

why do you hate me

Wilbur

Banned
So far this season, I'd probably go:

1 Ronaldo
2 Messi
3 Lahm
4 Pirlo
5 Schweinsteiger
6 Van Persie
7 Suarez
8 Martinez
9 Vidal
10 Mata

Bale, Carrick, Muller, Barzagli, and Falcao probably next personally. Plus some stand out players in other teams; Hernanes and Valero in particular have been great.

spidye

@Fady

Imagine:

A 'friendly' clasico
A world with no Lunchbox

tumblr_ltbtgjU70B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

boooooh

What happened to Messi. He looked okay against PSG. Obv not fully fit but when he came on he was having an impact of some sort.

Yesterday he looked like he'd been out for months not just 2 weeks.

Maybe he stopped taking drugs.

Kenka

Please interrupt me if you don't agree but I think Neuer has simply started too low this season. His performances against BATE and Lille in the CL were not first-class to put it mildly, and during the rest of the campaign, he was too seldomly threatened in a serious way for anyone to notice his improvement.

Now I do think he is a fantastic keeper but Buffon has a much deeper impact on his teammates due to the fact that Juve rely more heavily on his prowesses to keep them in the game. In my book, being more regularly decisive is being better.

SMD

Bro I just read your message! Wow it has been years akhi! I will respond to your PM today inshAllah. I'm not Syrian btw :p Greek-Palestinian :D

Haha that sure does bring back memories! I still sort out my games in a meticulous manner as I have too many of them and I need to keep it all organized :p That was an odd way of sorting out my titles back then I must say - these days I simply sort them by release date :)

The story of how I became a football fan was when I was trying to spend some more time with my younger brother, he would watch Chelsea very much. Eventually I found myself enjoying (and hating at times) watching club football very much and ever since I started following Chelsea's crazy times as a football club. I was always a Messi fan when it came to national football so I watched him in Barca as well.

How about you bro? You say you were a Liverpool fan back then?

I know you are, it was someone else who was draped in that flag :p There were quite a few to be fair, I just thought it was weird.

Fair play, your younger brother has terrible taste in football though ;)

I've always been a Liverpool fan, I started watching football proper during the Evans years - back then European football was a mixture of Eurosport on dodgy satellite, Ceefax and Radio 5 Live. You had to have an imagination to 'watch' football on the radio. Now it's all streams and instant uploads of goals. No more mystery.

Blablurn

Man, even with a 4:0 in the first game I don't know what to expect from the second game : ( If we survive the first 20-25 minutes we should be through.

Fry

Schweine love is rewarding. Suddenly I love footy-gaf again. :p

spidye, I'll make it as soon as I can. Probably would be better if fuenf did it!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Best players this season:

1-Vidal
2-Pogba
3-Sterling

I don't know about the rest.

All I know is that Iniesta isn't one of them.

spidye

oh and before I forget. lighting said bayern should thank arsenal for the loss.
I totally agree. right after that game we started to play like you could see yesterday.
so thanks arsene and lighting

Wilbur

Banned
Y'all are some dellusional inebriated fools in this thread.

Iniesta's a wonderful player who hasn't had that great of a season. Was far better at the Euros because Spain are a team based around getting results, whereas Barcelona are increasingly a team based around giving the ball to Messi to get results.

bud

Man, even with a 4:0 in the first game I don't know what to expect from the second game : ( If we survive the first 20-25 minutes we should be through.

oh, come on, haha. bayern are guaranteed to score at least one goal. there is no way in hell barca are going through.

Top Bottom