• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Suarez ban is perfectly fair.

In other news, BAE made his 200th Spurs appearance against City:

"Six years ago I didn’t think I would play 200 games for this club, now the next target is to make it to 300 games!" said Benoit.

"I don’t think there are many players who make 200 games (for the same team).

"In football, there are not many players who play six years at the same club. I’m very proud of that."

Please, AVB, let this happen. If you sell BAE I will hate you for the rest of my life. BAE should be our Zanetti.

arkon

I can't complain, given it was a completely avoidable and stupid thing to do, puts Suarez in no position to argue. As usual, the FA look like assholes, this time for placing an ultimately harmless bite as being more severe than racial abuse, just a week later after Aguero jumped feet first into a grounded David Luiz.

Sigh. Oh well, you guys got what you wanted.

Yeah. That in particular was really stupid.

Ah, so 33 games of next season? Doesn't sound bad at all.
You can't really look at it like that.

What's your logic, this season is already wrapped up for them so let's not count the 4 games left?

Next season is a void for Liverpool too.

Makes no difference.

WJD

Be funny if he goes on to win the PFA award now though.

I was of the impression the FA had to treat each indescretion as an isolated incident, unless of course they occurred in the same match ir were specifically related.

Not a clue how the FA does their business (not even they know) but it makes logical sense to me that repeat offenders of the same offence are more harshly treated.

GorillaJu

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 1分
biting: weird, idiotic, disgusting, childish. but no actual physical harm done in this instance. can't see why it's ten games

Chris Wallis ‏@DM2501 1分
Ben Thatcher put Pedro Mendes in the hospital and got 8 games. Suarez bit someone's arm, apologised and the victim was unharmed. Just..what?

Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart 4分
Ten-game ban for Suarez is too much. Wouldn't have any argument with 5-7 matches.

Tony Evans ‏@TonyEvansTimes 8分
Think it's harsh myself

Michael Cox ‏@Zonal_Marking 9分
Ten?!

Agree with these fine folks.

arkon

Surely a re-offence is worthy of a higher ban though?

That doesn't happen with other offences does it? I mean if somebody has been sent off a number of times, their bans don't get longer with each successive incident do they?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Be funny if he goes on to win the PFA award now though.

It would be hilarious but surely it won't happen? It's between RVP and Bale now. Maybe Carrick will win it, Marisa Tomei style.

Anyone have the link to our pre-season table predictions? Go through thousands of posts so I don't have to? Thanks, love ya.
Somebody put them in the OP for the first or second OT of the season.

I think I had QPR finishing 10th lol.

That doesn't happen with other offences does it? I mean if somebody has been sent off a number of times, their bans don't get longer with each successive incident do they?
They do.

Splatt

10 is too many IMO, relative to other bans.

But yeah he isn't in a position where he can complain much. Just has to take it.

This.

He should use that time to learn how not to be an asshole on the pitch. I understand that he's passionate about winning, but, no matter what league he plays in, he'll always get in trouble if he keeps on doing dumb shit like biting players or elbowing them in the face.

Salazar

Never mind Suarez should leave this country, we should leave this country, the whole club should just fuck off and up sticks to Spain and play in their league.

Should pull out of the FA cup and prevent our players from going on international duty.

Have Gerrard refuse to do England press conferences and media appearances. See what happens then

loooooooooooooooooooooool

The world would surely grind to a halt without Stevie G interviews.

LOL.

"Bayern Munich stunned Spanish titans Barcelona with a 4-0 win in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal. The Bavarians also announced the signing of Borussia Dortmund star midfielder Mario Gotze.

Though the Germans say they're done making moves for the moment, expect them to make a move for Polish striker Robert Lewandowski, before picking up Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen, before sweeping into Paris to take center back Thiago Silva. Then the Germans will make move after move in an attempt to simultaneously acquire Wayne Rooney from Manchester United and Alan Dzagoev from CSKA Moscow in pursuit of a perpetual footballing dynasty capable of ruling UEFA for a millennium.

Splitting their energy will deplete their resources, as will their persistence in acquiring Russian targets during a frosty negotiating period. Eventually, the Bavarians will be forced to capitulate, with their supporters losing control of the club to an American owner who will impart valuable business lessons to the team while robbing the soul of the club in the process."

Blablurn

some pictures from todays training

1627540689-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-1u09.jpg

#swag

1989915832-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-H09.jpg

1137818337-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-a09.jpg

55337952-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-2a09.jpg

1999174512-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-W09.jpg

2043986784-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-2j09.jpg

964395882-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-1B09.jpg

382713246-bayern-training-beachvolleyball-3a09.jpg

WJD

I thought they did? I remember either Kompany or Balotelli receiving a second violent conduct red and getting a four game ban instead of three. Could be wrong, but I remember something like that happening either this season or last.

Biting, batshit as it is, should not carry a harsher penalty than career-ending tackles or racial abuse.

Football regulation is so all over the place.

GorillaJu

Surely a re-offence is worthy of a higher ban though?

Well, if nothing else, the fact that the original offense happened in the Eredivisie should mean make it fairly irrelevant, I'd think.

God, I just hate the English FA. They overreact to absolutely everything and act as if they're the moral compass of the world. Actually pretty good representation of England on the whole :lol I guess in a way it's fitting.

I thought they did? I remember either Kompany or Balotelli receiving a second violent conduct red and getting a four game ban instead of three. Could be wrong, but I remember something like that happening either this season or last.
They do.

Sidwell will have a 5 game ban now I think because he just got sent off for that bad tackle and then did the same thing again.

bjaelke

Suarez should get the POTY award as a consolidation prize...
3 game usual ban
+
Previous record of naughtiness (lets say 2 games)
Acting like a fucking sewer rat (3 games)
Playing for Liverpool of course (2 games)

fair to me

That's basically the same, no?

I think the length is fair but I'm still awaiting FA's explanation (tomorrow?).

qindarka

Banned
So biting causing no damage is worse than racial abuse or bone breaking tackles. Thanks for the moral clarification FA.

The reason why biting is dealt with more harshly than bad tackles is that in the latter case, it can at least be explained as being part of the game and that the player just went too far. Biting has absolutely nothing to do with football and should be considered to be assault.

I am not sure how bringing racial abuse in helps Suarez's case,

arkon

Somebody put them in the OP for the first or second OT of the season.

I think I had QPR finishing 10th lol.

They do.

They do.

Sidwell will have a 5 game ban now I think because he just got sent off for that bad tackle and then did the same thing again.

I stand corrected.

WJD

The reason why biting is dealt with more harshly than bad tackles is that in the latter case, it can at least be explained as being part of the game and that the player just went too far. Biting has absolutely nothing to do with football and should be considere to be assault.

More like battery, but I agree.

sohois

No doubt Liverpool are going to appeal that.

Indeed the FA probably expected they would. They may well have been fine with a 5 or 6 game ban or something, but by setting such a large ban they can show off for the media, earn some goodwill. Then if the ban gets reduced, so what?

Indeed the FA probably expected they would. They may well have been fine with a 5 or 6 game ban or something, but by setting such a large ban they can show off for the media, earn some goodwill. Then if the ban gets reduced, so what?

Wasn't the length of the ban decided by independent regulatory commission and not the FA?

arkon

Suarez should get the POTY award as a consolidation prize...

That's basically the same, no?

I think the length is fair but I'm still awaiting FA's explanation (tomorrow?).

As they mentioned on Football Weekly, he should bite it like some people do with gold medals just to check.

Liverpool would be nuts to appeal it.

But yeah it seems like something they'd do :lol

GorillaJu

The reason why biting is dealt with more harshly than bad tackles is that in the latter case, it can at least be explained as being part of the game and that the player just went too far. Biting has absolutely nothing to do with football and should be considered to be assault.

I am not sure how bringing racial abuse in helps Suarez's case,

If it were a 50/50 and one player went in too hard, yes, you'd have a point. But a kick, a lashing out, a sly elbow, or whatever maneuver happens off the ball and purely out of aggression, it's in the same category and can't be explained as "part of the game" unless you're talking about ice hockey.

Top Bottom