• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

defel

Hehe, I may do that. In truth, I'm just fed up of football in general and everything associated with the game. In England anyway. I'm not even passionate anymore... don't even care when we win or lose. Maybe I'll get it back.

Do what I just do: Support no-one and laugh at everyone elses' misfortunes.

Feorax

Coutinho isn't enough? Or Hendo?

Coutinho has been fantastic on the left, so I wouldn't want to take him from there

As good as Hendo's been, I'd prefer him playing a bit deeper to take advantage of his energy, ability to retain posession and pick out a pass. If Gerrard is out for a while recovering from his shoulder op then it's a given really.

Fry

310719_652842824732412_1975970320_n.jpg

Wes

venison crêpe
1. Man City
2. Man United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
--------------------
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Tottenham
8. Newcastle
9. Sunderland
10. Fulham
11. Aston Villa
12. QPR
13. West Ham
14. West Brom
15. Stoke
16. Swansea
17. Wigan
--------------------
18. Southampton
19. Norwich
20. Reading

FA Cup: Tottenham

Capital One Cup: Everton

Champions League: Barcelona

My predictions were poor.

Is that the last we'll see of Suarez in a Liverpool shirt then?

Going to get a lot of hate for this, but I hope so. I'm getting really bored with this circus of controversy that follows him around. You really don't want to see such a high level of player leave the Premier League, but I don't think he will change or that he even wants to change. They could get at least £35 million for him, which would allow them to sign a good replacement and strengthen their defence as long as they don't do something stupid like spend £15 million on Ashley Williams. Maybe they could bring back Xabi Alonso as well.

Meier

Barça is not a "most hated" team. Man Utd, Liverpool are the undisputed kings in that category, no question.

You're a favorite poster of mine and I mean no offense, but I don't think anyone but Man United and Everton fans care about Liverpool at all in 2013. They are certainly not near the top of the most hated pile.

Alba sold that shit.

Big time. I think Bayern were lucky to not get a foul called, but Alba is constantly diving and flopping and sometimes that means you don't get a call you might otherwise.

Just saw the pilot of House of Cards, it was amazing. Kevin Spacey right up his game, Fincher done a great job and the music suits perfectly :D
Loved every minute of it. You're in for a treat.

http://i.imgur.com/hXk8uM8.gif[img][/QUOTE]
Brilliant.

[quote="dc89, post: 55216992"][url]https://twitter.com/TheRealFbloke/status/327041129369436160[/url][/QUOTE]

We got nailed on this shirt color crap last season. :(

elseanio

Going to get a lot of hate for this, but I hope so. I'm getting really bored with this circus of controversy that follows him around. You really don't want to see such a high level of player leave the Premier League, but I don't think he will change or that he even wants to change. They could get at least £35 million for him, which would allow them to sign a good replacement and strengthen their defence as long as they don't do something stupid like spend £15 million on Ashley Williams. Maybe they could bring back Xabi Alonso as well.

What striker are we going to get to replace him?

If he wants to stay, there is no way we will be selling him

Ingeniero

10 match ban for cunt Suarez?
That includes Uruguay national team matches?

I think is not enough but at least we are closer to get a permanent ban, one more bite or punch, kick or handball and I am sure FIFA will use the banhammer drastically.
His kind taints football, he has to leave, the rat.

Other topic:

HALA MADRID !!!!!

Shadders

10 games?

I don't think this works in the context of other bans the FA have handed out, worse than racial abuse or career ending tackles?

Lets not beat around the bush, if Suarez had wanted to - with those teeth - he could have torn a chunk of flesh out of Ivanovic's arm. So he obviously didn't bite him that hard.

Obviously it's still a totally mental thing to do, but he could have hurt Ivanovic far more with a kick, punch or headbutt that he'd presumably have only gotten a 3 game ban for.

GorillaJu

You're a favorite poster of mine and I mean no offense, but I don't think anyone but Man United and Everton fans care about Liverpool at all in 2013. They are certainly not near the top of the most hated pile.

Big time. I think Bayern were lucky to not get a foul called, but Alba is constantly diving and flopping and sometimes that means you don't get a call you might otherwise.

Loved every minute of it. You're in for a treat.

Brilliant.

We got nailed on this shirt color crap last season. :(

You don't need to justify your disagreeing. I mainly included Liverpool because everyone here knows I'm a LFC fan so it would be too obvious if I just put my only hated team as who I thought the most hated in the world is. My justification is that the PL has the most followers of any league. Where as fans of Barça or Real might be admirers of the club, La Liga, as a competition, doesn't really have the significance of the PL, where there are 4+ clubs with huge worldwide fan bases. United is the biggest club and while that obviously means they'll have a lot of fans, when there are so many fans of the league, they'll also have a lot of haters.

confuziz

Banned
10 match ban for cunt Suarez?
That includes Uruguay national team matches?

I think is not enough but at least we are closer to get a permanent ban, one more bite or punch, kick or handball and I am sure FIFA will use the banhammer drastically.
His kind taints football, he has to leave, the rat.

Other topic:

HALA MADRID !!!!!

What? Ofcourse not.

I hate how the Ballon D'or is practically a golden boot award. Muller and Schweinsteiger were fantastic vs Barca, but Javi Martinez took the cake for me. He was genius.

Same as most player awards except clubs internal ones. Anyone based in their own half of the pitch tends to get mistakes highlighted. Transfer market is no different, despite a lack of top class talent being available in the defensive midfield position for example.

Meier

I think they are taking historical context into account. Punches, kicks, headbutts, elbows, etc. are all something that happens at times in sports (often times in retaliation). They're all reprehensible but they're not uncommon. Biting someone takes a really special kind of fucked up and he's now done it twice. 10 games is probably harsh but he has no one to blame but himself.

GorillaJu

As I said immediately after it happens, I'll be sad when he's gone but ultimately relieved that he's someone else's problem. No team that has any measurable ambition can expect to improve when their best player is routinely absent for large stretches of the year, every season.

That said while I'm sure the management's patience is running thin, I don't think it'd be wise to sell him. I'd like it if Liverpool's talisman were characters like Barnes, Rush and Macca once again, but you've got to play with the hand you're dealt. Right now we've got one of the most dastardly players in European football but also one of the best.

Meier

You don't need to justify your disagreeing. I mainly included Liverpool because everyone here knows I'm a LFC fan so it would be too obvious if I just put my only hated team as who I thought the most hated in the world is. My justification is that the PL has the most followers of any league. Where as fans of Barça or Real might be admirers of the club, La Liga, as a competition, doesn't really have the significance of the PL, where there are 4+ clubs with huge worldwide fan bases. United is the biggest club and while that obviously means they'll have a lot of fans, when there are so many fans of the league, they'll also have a lot of haters.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I hate any team but my own who is frequently successful. If they're a historical rival, obviously the hatred is even worse.

I hate Barca, I hate Madrid, I hate Bayern, I hate United, I hate Chelsea. I don't really care about Juventus or teams in other leagues because I just don't really care about them at all. I think if soccer was the only sport I followed then I'd hate more great teams but I have a lot of hate to go around being an American sports fan. Fuck the Lakers, Celtics, Red Sox, Yankees, Patriots, Giants (especially fuck them), the Gators, the Hurricanes, etc.

Curufinwe

10 games?

I don't think this works in the context of other bans the FA have handed out, worse than racial abuse or career ending tackles?

Lets not beat around the bush, if Suarez had wanted to - with those teeth - he could have torn a chunk of flesh out of Ivanovic's arm. So he obviously didn't bite him that hard.

Obviously it's still a totally mental thing to do, but he could have hurt Ivanovic far more with a kick, punch or headbutt that he'd presumably have only gotten a 3 game ban for.

There are very obvious reasons why biting is considered such a serious offense, in other sports and in criminal law. Bites can transmit diseases to another person.

Feorax

Maybe someone like Bony from Vitesse. Everyone keeps saying he's good.

I was just listening to talksport (i know...) and i had to laugh at the fact that one of them said we would have no choice but to buy another striker, otherwise we'd only have Carroll and Borini.

To be fair, I can see us giving Carroll until Jan like we did with Joe Cole, and seeing how he does. If nothing else, he might help with our calamitous defending from set pieces.

Meier

Liverpool could take a punt on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang if they sold Suarez and no one else had snapped him up. He has the pace of a guy like Suarez (faster probably) and has been one of the better players in France the past two seasons. He doesn't seem like a Gervinho or Giroud who wouldn't necessarily be as prolific elsewhere as well.

elseanio

Maybe someone like Bony from Vitesse. Everyone keeps saying he's good.

I think he's a signing that will add to the squad, not someone who will replace our best player.

We have an impossible task as it is to get 4th next season, selling Suarez will cripple us. I just can't see it happening unless he actually wants to leave

GorillaJu

I was just listening to talksport (i know...) and i had to laugh at the fact that one of them said we would have no choice but to buy another striker, otherwise we'd only have Carroll and Borini.

To be fair, I can see us giving Carroll until Jan like we did with Joe Cole, and seeing how he does. If nothing else, he might help with our calamitous defending from set pieces.

I think if Rodgers were going to give Carroll a six month chance, he'd have done it this year instead of sending him to West Ham on loan – a deal that doesn't benefit us at all except not worrying about training him.

I'd rather buy someone like Son or Tom Ince who can score goals from out wide and provide a creative outlet. Sturridge as Borini aren't a world class pairing but we've had a fairly decent contribution of goals from defense and midfield.

Feorax

I think if Rodgers were going to give Carroll a six month chance, he'd have done it this year instead of sending him to West Ham on loan – a deal that doesn't benefit us at all except not worrying about training him.

I'd rather buy someone like Son or Tom Ince who can score goals from out wide and provide a creative outlet. Sturridge as Borini aren't a world class pairing but we've had a fairly decent contribution of goals from defense and midfield.

True. Anyway, would be nice if we could get a few deals done to improve our squad pretty soon, so at least we don't have to faff about when the window opens.

That would make me feel better.

I think he's a signing that will add to the squad, not someone who will replace our best player.

We have an impossible task as it is to get 4th next season, selling Suarez will cripple us. I just can't see it happening unless he actually wants to leave

Well I don't think it will happen either, but I also don't think it's the worst idea in the world.

LegoArmo

Don't sell him because of this, but if you get a decent offer, let's say £15m more than what you paid, take it. You can improve the squad as a whole... Though that bit of magic is a difficult find.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You know it's your year when your one trick pony Robben cuts to the right for the first time in his career.

Meier

Bony apparently played at Sparta Prague before Vitesse. They have a pretty good record of churning out solid players. I hope my favorite FM wonderkid of recent memory, Vaclav Kadlec, pans out.

10 matches for Suarez. Appealing that would be stupid, but very Liverpool :lol. They're better off just telling him what a fucking idiot he is.

Labadal

Just saw it now that Suarez got a 10 match ban. Can't argue against that, My only question is if that will be his last game for us or not. I hope not. He might be an insane asshole, but we have no one of his quality and I doubt we could get anyone of his quality right now.

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't think Liverpool should be too upset if they can sell Suarez for £30m-£40m.

They may not have initially spent well under Rodgers, and are still hamstrung a tad by the Dalgleish debacle, but they seem to be doing a lot better lately. Coutinho is settling in nicely and will likely be my first name on the teamsheet in my fantasy team next year. Sturridge is turning out great. You could get Remy for £8m. You could spend the rest of just that money on filling out the rest of the squad. A top tier centre back and central midfielder. You could still have close to £20m to splash on another winger/striker if you wanted.

Top Bottom