• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

GorillaJu

Yeah, just no to this idea. I mean obviously Reina's comments can be interpreted that way, but Suarez has let down the team twice with incidents on the pitch. I understand that he's a good teammate, a nice guy, whatever niceties can be said about him, and while I agree with Reina's premise in his comments, such as these:

"I consider myself a friend of Luis. People in England are treating him different because he is Uruguayan; because he has had a previous episode like this. He knows perfectly well that what he did was wrong but a 10-game ban seems to me absurd, out of proportion and unfair. It seems that the people making the decisions have got it in for Luis a little bit.

"I know Luis and I know that he is the complete opposite [off the pitch]: he is a magnificent person and great team-mate. But because of the way he plays, he is aggressive and very competitive, he plays like a street player and sometimes the way he is gets him into trouble.

"There is a lot of hypocrisy. Some players are treated differently to others. In the racism cases: the one with proof [against him, John Terry] got a four-game ban and Luis got eight matches."

Asked if that showed that English football is racist, he responded: "No, but there is hypocrisy – a different measure is used."

The goalkeeper claimed to recall biting incidents in which the offender has got no more than a booking. "There have been other times and it seems there is a rule that if the referee has seen it then nothing further can be done. He was an English player I think and the treatment was different," he said.

I do not think that Liverpool should be allowing Suarez to go. It may suck for him and his family, and he may be getting singled out for harsh treatment (some disagree here, that's fair but I do not), but he's made his bed here. He wouldn't be feeling "persecuted" if he hadn't been so naive in the Evra incident, thinking using a word like "negrito" is OK in England, and biting someone... smh.

The club has stuck up for him through thick and thin and he's put them in another precarious position, where not only do we not get his contribution on the pitch, but he's diminishing the name of the club.

He needs to make up for this. We can't let him ditch out, especially if it means a lowered transfer fee. If he goes, we need to get what a player of his quality, on a 4-year contract is worth.

Hopefully, he can just clean up his act. I think if we had the proper support and a good attacking set-up, we would be able to rest Luis and he'd not get into these situations as much. You look at where they happen and it's always in the second half of the year, at the winter break or soon after. He plays 90 minutes of every game, gives 110% in every minute and he's fucking knackered. Then he starts looking frustrated, flipping off fans, eating Serbians, etc. Being tired is no excuse, as hundreds of other PL footballers keep their chompers to themselves despite also playing themselves into the ground, but it may help him cool off to just get a bit more rest.

He's probably never going to lose his "street player" style and he'll always make defenders hate him passionately for his niggly pushes, pulls, and such inside the box on set pieces, but if he could just stop doing idiotic things that keep him off the pitch for 8-10 games at a time... I'd be mildly impressed. :lol

Still got some great players but losing your two real stars in one go is a bit shit. Will that money be put back into the team?.

What else are we going to do with that kind of money lol?

We're a football club, of course the money will be invested somehow. Probably not all of it in players but we can improve the infrastructure, etc. with the money.

And we won't pay crazy prices (30m+) for single players. The way I see it, we'll buy talents for rather cheap. A RB/LB, a CB, maybe a true DM like Bender to replace Kehl next year, an AM, a LW/RW and 1 or 2 FW. That won't win us the Bundesliga but honestly, I couldn't care less about Bayern next season. If destroying the rivals makes them happy, let them do it. We'll field a great team that's up there for the CL places and that's good enough for me.

Yeah, just no to this idea. I mean obviously Reina's comments can be interpreted that way, but Suarez has let down the team twice with incidents on the pitch. I understand that he's a good teammate, a nice guy, whatever niceties can be said about him, and while I agree with Reina's premise in his comments, such as these:

I do not think that Liverpool should be allowing Suarez to go. It may suck for him and his family, and he may be getting singled out for harsh treatment (some disagree here, that's fair but I do not), but he's made his bed here. He wouldn't be feeling "persecuted" if he hadn't been so naive in the Evra incident, thinking using a word like "negrito" is OK in England, and biting someone... smh.

The club has stuck up for him through thick and thin and he's put them in another precarious position, where not only do we not get his contribution on the pitch, but he's diminishing the name of the club.

He needs to make up for this. We can't let him ditch out, especially if it means a lowered transfer fee. If he goes, we need to get what a player of his quality, on a 4-year contract is worth.

Hopefully, he can just clean up his act. I think if we had the proper support and a good attacking set-up, we would be able to rest Luis and he'd not get into these situations as much. You look at where they happen and it's always in the second half of the year, at the winter break or soon after. He plays 90 minutes of every game, gives 110% in every minute and he's fucking knackered. Then he starts looking frustrated, flipping off fans, eating Serbians, etc. Being tired is no excuse, as hundreds of other PL footballers keep their chompers to themselves despite also playing themselves into the ground, but it may help him cool off to just get a bit more rest.

He's probably never going to lose his "street player" style and he'll always make defenders hate him passionately for his niggly pushes, pulls, and such inside the box on set pieces, but if he could just stop doing idiotic things that keep him off the pitch for 8-10 games at a time... I'd be mildly impressed. :lol
I don't think he will leave, just enjoying the call out I guess.

Although, I suppose - if Bayern or Barca DID come for him that would be hard to turn down whether all this had happened or not.

---

Sharing PM's is silly. Leave it out.

Kenka

LVKoIBe.png

:D

GorillaJu

I was tempted to report odd morsel for his abusive private messages but he's had enough of a mare as it:

I don't know where this came from lol

If you want to abuse me Odd do it in front of everyone not hiding behind pm's

Why would I "do it in front of everyone" and make a spectacle of something personal? I sent it in a PM, not because I'm afraid of peoples' reactions, but because I didn't want to make this thread a personal battleground after you essentially called me a troll.

The fact that you posted this here, ugh.

I mean I don't care, I'm not "ashamed" of my comments or people seeing them, but you're such a baby, dude. Honestly. You insult me in public, and I took it to a private channel.

Posting PMs to shame people is the lowest of the low, dude.

Sloane

Banned
And we won't pay crazy prices (30m+) for single players. The way I see it, we'll buy talents for rather cheap. A RB/LB, a CB, maybe a true DM like Bender to replace Kehl next year, an AM, a LW/RW and 1 or 2 FW. That won't win us the Bundesliga but honestly, I couldn't care less about Bayern next season. If destroying the rivals makes them happy, let them do it. We'll field a great team that's up there for the CL places and that's good enough for me.
Yup, buying someone like Reus should be the exception, not the rule. A decent backup for Schmelle and Piszczek is necessary (although Kevin is doing a great job there), so is a good FW but that's about it. Don't think we need to do much about our midfield.

GorillaJu

I don't think he will leave, just enjoying the call out I guess.

Although, I suppose - if Bayern or Barca DID come for him that would be hard to turn down whether all this had happened or not..

Yeah I know most people would think letting him go in this situation isn't the right move, but the press is portraying him in a really awful light and I'm just kind of ranting at no one after the articles that popped up today about him supposedly wanting to leave England because he apparently feels persecuted. I don't know how much he really feels the victim here, but it would be silly for anyone to feel like a victim for being punished as the aggressor. Twice.

I'd like to think that if he is loyal to the club and likes Liverpool that much, that he'd see his mistakes as something he owes penance on, not an opportunity to force their hand into letting him go cheaply to Bayern or Juve, who probably aren't desperate to pay the amount we'd ask under normal circumstances.

FootballFan

Yup, buying someone like Reus should be the exception, not the rule. A decent backup for Schmelle and Piszczek is necessary (although Kevin is doing a great job there), so is a good FW but that's about it. Don't think we need to do much about our midfield.

But what about when Gundogod leaves to ManU, Hummels to Barca and Lewa to Bayern? :(

madmackem

Exactly he wouldnt have left himself open for this so called harsh punishment if he didnt do these things. He owes it to the club and every single liverpool fan to come back and try again to repair his reputation, he had started to turn a corner before he had bitten someone. I think alot more people were starting to warm to him he blew that.

Why would I "do it in front of everyone" and make a spectacle of something personal? I sent it in a PM, not because I'm afraid of peoples' reactions, but because I didn't want to make this thread a personal battleground after you essentially called me a troll.

The fact that you posted this here, ugh.

I mean I don't care, I'm not "ashamed" of my comments or people seeing them, but you're such a baby, dude. Honestly. You insult me in public, and I took it to a private channel.

Posting PMs to shame people is the lowest of the low, dude.

I just thought the world should know I'm a passive aggressive little prick because its not something I've ever considered myself and saying you are blinkered when it comes to Liverpool hardly counts as such

madmackem

What else are we going to do with that kind of money lol?

We're a football club, of course the money will be invested somehow. Probably not all of it in players but we can improve the infrastructure, etc. with the money.

Well youd be surprised in england people moan when a player is sold as not always that money goes back into the squad building.

I disagree with the midfield part. Leitner doesn't seem ready to step up as starting AM yet (or maybe he does?) and we need someone there. Leo doesn't seem ready yet, either. I'd even pay some 20m for that, might be a lot but we need that, it's more important than a high class striker. We've been playing just fine with Barrios or also Schieber.

A winger might also be necessary, depending on a few factors. Großkreutz being planned as LB/RB backup and how ready Klopp thinks Bittencourt and Hofmann are.

But what about when Gundogod leaves to ManU, Hummels to Barca and Lewa to Bayern? :(

Gündogan just said he's open for a new BVB offer. And would Barca really pay 35-40m for Hummels? No? Yeah, case closed.

Kenka

I think Amini, Gündogan and Sahin can balance out Götze's departure. Plus, Günter (or whatever his name is) is pushing too.

GorillaJu

I just thought the world should know I'm a passive aggressive little prick because its not something I've ever considered myself and saying you are blinkered when it comes to Liverpool hardly counts as such

The world doesn't need to know everything anyone has ever called you. The world doesn't care. That's why I took this to PMs. I'd like to be done discussing this in the thread.

Wilbur

Banned
Two things unrelated to footy:

1) Willkiller get out of that bed full of men
2) while sharing PMs isn't the best thing unless its lunchbox and I trying to work out who put the rubber fist up my arse, I don't think calling Morsel blinkered is too much of a crime. The thing you said yesterday sweet Morse, was ludicrous - saying Chelsea fans can't be too incensed because Suarez gifted them a pen anyway was just nonsense considering what happened after that.

Not a bad thing though, we're all blinkered in a way.

Related to football, I'm almost home and I can't wait to watch last night's match.

Sloane

Banned
I disagree with the midfield part. Leitner doesn't seem ready to step up as starting AM yet (or maybe he does?) and we need someone there. Leo doesn't seem ready yet, either. I'd even pay some 20m for that, might be a lot but we need that, it's more important than a high class striker. We've been playing just fine with Barrios or also Schieber.

A winger might also be necessary, depending on a few factors. Großkreutz being planned as LB/RB backup and how ready Klopp thinks Bittencourt and Hofmann are.
Well, our CM / DM consists of Gündogan, Sahin, Bender, Kehl, and Leitner, don't see any problems there, even if Leitner is loaned to another club. We might want a replacement for Kehl eventually but I don't think it a priority.

As for our offensive midfielders, true, we'll probably buy someone there although I'm not sure if I like it -- Bittencourt and Hofmann should get more playing time next season but with Reus, Kuba, Kevin, a new guy, and maybe Gündogan / Leitner, who can play the 10, too, I don't really see it.

I don't know. I guess it makes sense to get a replacement for Götze but on the other hand I'm not sure how talented guys like Bittencourt and Hofmann (or even Leitner) are supposed to develop if they hardly ever play in the first team.

I think Amini, Gündogan and Sahin can balance out Götze's departure. Plus, Günter (or whatever his name is) is pushing too.
Yeah, Günter was looking good every time I saw him with BVB II.

WJD

Two things unrelated to footy:

1) Willkiller get out of that bed full of men
2) while sharing PMs isn't the best thing unless its lunchbox and I trying to work out who put the rubber fist up my arse, I don't think calling Morsel blinkered is too much of a crime. The thing you said yesterday sweet Morse, was ludicrous - saying Chelsea fans can't be too incensed because Suarez gifted them a pen anyway was just nonsense considering what happened after that.

Not a bad thing though, we're all blinkered in a way.

Related to football, I'm almost home and I can't wait to watch last night's match.

did you like my bottom burp

Kicker says we'll be trying to get Draxler. Come on, Freiburg, kick Schlake off 4th place.

I want it to happen for the laughs. Götze and Lewy to Bayern, Draxler to Dortmund, Podolski to Düsseldorf. Would go down as the crazy betrayal summer lol

Fady K

So guys lewandowski is going too? MUFC or Bayern?The agent said "another club", he did not specify which one it is. Probably MUFC.

gunter is the most german name i heard since mertersacker

dp29DmO.jpg

As for our offensive midfielders, true, we'll probably buy someone there although I'm not sure if I like it -- Bittencourt and Hofmann should get more playing time next season but with Reus, Kuba, Kevin, a new guy, and maybe Gündogan / Leitner, who can play the 10, too, I don't really see it.

I don't know. I guess it makes sense to get a replacement for Götze but on the other hand I'm not sure how talented guys like Bittencourt and Hofmann (or even Leitner) are supposed to develop if they hardly ever play in the first team.

Well, to be fair, Hofmann looks talented in the few times I've seen him but his only match so far was against Augsburg after all. Hard to really rate him. As for Bittencourt/Leitner, best thing would be a loan for one of them and keep the other if they aren't ready yet. That's for Klopp to decide, though.

Also speaking of our youth CBs. Sarr was amazing in the Köln friendly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well youd be surprised in england people moan when a player is sold as not always that money goes back into the squad building.
Dortmund almost went bankrupt around 2005 and is known for wasting a lot of money in the years after their 1997 CL win, they completely changed how they invest now. They will not spend crazy amounts of money on a known player. They will get a few talents, widen their squad (their biggest weakness right now) and that'll probably be it.

gunter is the most german name i heard since mertersacker
Even better that he's of turkish descent.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Preview of what's to come:

GiuseppeMarotta.jpg

First target (0%):
ijIyZZsapk5g1.png
or
ibqokmtG7Tdf4k.png

2nd target (35%): Jovetic, Gomez, Higauin or Benzema

3rd target (85%):
iihWQLLqnH60r.png

In the end we'll settle for: Lisandro Lopez

bjaelke

10 reasons Barca lost
Five years after Barcelona first dazzled the world with its free-flowing football, MARCA analyses the motives behind the team's total collapse against Bayern Munich.

1. The squad has not been well rotated
Energy levels are low as Barça has approached the season's final straight and rotations have not been effective.

2. Tito Vilanova does not have faith in his reserves
Only one substitution was made against Bayern - in the 83rd minute when the team was losing 4-0.

3. Poor reaction from the coaching staff
When things have gone badly the coaching team has not reacted effectively to resolve the situation.

4. Poor signings made and winter transfer window opportunity not used
Alex Song was signed, but he has struggled to make an impact.

5. No Plan B after Messi
Many believe the team is totally dependent on Messi.

6. No action taken to fix last season's weak areas
The board of directors and coaching staff decided to stick with the same players. Guardiola identified problems that needed to be fixed - Dani Alves was one of them.

7. Injuries and illnesses
There have been long-term injuries - including those sustained by Javier Mascherano and Carles Puyol. Adriano, Alexis Sánchez and Cesc Fàbregas have all spent part of the campaign sidelined due to illness. Then there's Eric Abidal and Vilanova.

8. Lack of fitness and effectiveness on the pitch
The team's weakness in defence in the league has been a bigger problem in Europe against stronger teams.

9. Change in the team's attitude
One of the team's identifying aspects was the suffocating pressure to close down the opposition. Now the team is more passive.

10. The future of Víctor Valdés
Víctor Valdés publically announced that he will not be staying on at the club after 2014. The announcement has unsettled the squad.
Marca really outdone themselves with this one.

Top Bottom