• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

I love Wenger, other Arsenal fans are crazy! :p

Honestly, I get what you are saying; too tight (lol) with money, won't rotate often, overplays players, buys shit/average players...

But who could ever replace him? Not many managers out there as good as Wenger...

Blablurn

But who could ever replace him? Not many managers out there as good as Wenger...

i1eWlxKvfpTLo_zps08cdeaab.gif

Lightning

Banned

Honestly, I get what you are saying; too tight (lol) with money, won't rotate often, overplays players, buys shit/average players...

That line of thinking is exactly why it's only a matter of time before we are 7th or 8th with Liverpool because if we keep our current path that is where we are headed. Wenger has done a fantastic job at Arsenal but if we are to progress forward there must be change. It won't be this season but if lessons aren't learned next season will be more of the same with a scrap for 4th, playing shit football, no trophies, 20+ points off the leader board, best players wanting to leave etc...

You think Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain etc.. are going to waste their careers away to this shit? They won't. At the moment Spurs or Chelsea are the better place to be because they are trying to progress, we're not, we're trying to make as much profit as possible to show what a great run club we are. Except we're not that well run and it's just another smokescreen.

dc89

If you ask nicely you might be able to have Mancini one day.

lol, I should start this again.

That line of thinking is exactly why it's only a matter of time before we are 7th or 8th with Liverpool because if we keep our current path that is where we are headed. Wenger has done a fantastic job at Arsenal but if we are to progress forward there must be change. It won't be this season but if lessons aren't learned next season will be more of the same with a scrap for 4th, playing shit football, no trophies, 20+ points off the leader board, best players wanting to leave etc...

You think Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain etc.. are going to waste their careers away to this shit? They won't. At the moment Spurs or Chelsea are the better place to be because they are trying to progress, we're not, we're trying to make as much profit as possible to show what a great run club we are. Except we're not that well run and it's just another smokescreen.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, believe me, I would love it if Wenger moved 'upstairs' and another manager came in. Would support that 100%, but it's not just Wenger who has to take all the blame, it's the board too! Remember when we were *this* close to getting Mata, but the board refused to stump up the extra money? :(

If you ask nicely you might be able to have Mancini one day.
No thanks. Don't want a manager who buys overrated English players (LOL IRONIC :p)

Wilbur

Banned
Predictions for today:

Man City 3 - 0 West Ham
Everton 2 - 1 Fulham
Southampton 1 - 1 West Brom
Stoke 2 - 0 Norwich
Wigan 1 - 0 Tottenham
Newcastle 2 - 2 Liverpool

Bayern 4 - 0 Freiburg
Dusseldorf 1 - 3 Dortmund
Leverkusen 2 - 1 Bremen
Bilbao 1 - 2 Barcelona
Atletico 2 - 3 Real

Linius

Predictions for today:

Man City 3 - 0 West Ham
Everton 2 - 1 Fulham
Stoke 2 - 0 Norwich
Wigan 1 - 0 Tottenham

Bayern 4 - 0 Freiburg
Leverkusen 2 - 1 Bremen
Bilbao 1 - 2 Barcelona
Atletico 2 - 3 Real

No prediction for Ajax? Pfft.

Wilbur

Banned
Klopp will not flee from this new challenge (posed by the cancerous thieves).

I can only see him leaving to train the national team if we fail at WC 14 (again).

Has he expressed a desire to do that? Or has he said anything about wanting to move abroad or anything?

I read the other day that AVB said he wants to use football management as an excuse to travel, to go work in places like Brazil, and that he doesn't want to do it for long.

Lightning

Banned
Yeah, I get what you are saying, believe me, I would love it if Wenger moved 'upstairs' and another manager came in. Would support that 100%, but it's not just Wenger who has to take all the blame, it's the board too! Remember when we were *this* close to getting Mata, but the board refused to stump up the extra money? :(
Our board are worse than Wenger but Wenger has still got to go in order for us to progress. Wenger no longer has the motivation, his age is against him, and his plan and tactics have seen us safely through a tough transition from Highbury to the Emirates and managing the debt and getting it down while maintaining CL football we all enjoy but we're past that now and not only are we losing ground on Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea but we're becoming in danger of bring over taken by Spurs and likely Everton and Liverpool as well.

It's an embarrassment that Everton got that close to us and Newcastle last season. Shit like that should not be happening. We should be competitive with the best clubs and currently we're not, we're currently pushing above our weight with an inferior squad of Wenger's choosing.

For example selling Song and going with Diaby as our only midfielder with muscle. Selling RVP and Giroud being our only striker. These weren't the boards errors, these were Wenger's.

A few changes in the board room would be welcome too!

Predictions for today:

Man City 3 - 0 West Ham
Everton 2 - 1 Fulham
Stoke 2 - 0 Norwich
Wigan 1 - 0 Tottenham

Bayern 4 - 0 Freiburg
Leverkusen 2 - 1 Bremen
Bilbao 1 - 2 Barcelona
Atletico 2 - 3 Real
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Salazar

lol at Terry

Fucking has-been filth clogging up the England squad

Hodgson will do it, too. That horrid racist slow-on-the-turn prick will go to Brazil.

rvy

Banned
Literally what happened: We had 100 million to spend in the summer. Got Hulk for 60(lol) and then were like hey! is there any other trash we can pick up while we're still in Portugal? Witsel has a release clause for 40 million? SOLD!!

I haven't been keeping up with Zenit, Witsel has potential up the ass, is he playing like shit?

Has he expressed a desire to do that? Or has he said anything about wanting to move abroad or anything?

I read the other day that AVB said he wants to use football management as an excuse to travel, to go work in places like Brazil, and that he doesn't want to do it for long.

Quite the contrary: My dream to manage in England is over, admits Borussia Dortmund boss Klopp

If we continue to develop like we do he'll be able to more or less set his own wage too and he's kind of got a public persona here (complete with ads and all) which he'd be at risk of losing if left Germany. But I definitely see a scenario in which he'd be seen as a savior of the national team after WC '14..

//
Serious question. How do Dortmund get on with Bayer Leverkusen?
Fine, though the fans and management will sometimes question/hate on so called "Werksclubs" (clubs that basically belong to a corporation: BAYER, VW, SAP (Hoffenheim, edit: though it's just the ex-founder who's pumping his money into them) - but Leverkusen definitely has the best reputation among those.

He'll be racking up the air-miles as our assistant manager while we're battering the European Super League

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Predictions for today:
Wigan 1 - 0 Tottenham

I can see us doing something dumb but we aren't going to lose 1-0. We only lose 1-0 at home. Away from home we always go down swinging if we lose, second highest away goalscorers in the league. I can't see Wigan keeping a clean sheet.

According to Belgian media, Kevin, Tintin, de Bruyne signed a 5y contract at Dortmund. The transfer fee is 15m.
That'd be awesome (and fairly cheap). Next up Lukaku, pls.

UmioELp.jpg

/now complete with a dreamy tumblr pic, lol

Lightning

Banned
According to Belgian media, Kevin, Tintin, de Bruyne signed a 5y contract at Dortmund. The transfer fee is 15m.
Hard to see Chelsea selling Lukaku but Chelsea will probably be open to a loan deal if Dortmund are interested in that.

Dortmund should also go for Eriksen. He would be alright at Dortmund and continue to progress. He has talent.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
After United lost last night Spurs have now won the U21 PL Elite Group. Our young players have scored 77 goals in 25 matches this season so far. Pretty, pretty good.

Linius

Seeing a lot of pics from Samsung with people standing in line for the S4. Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of sad to wait in line for a mobile phone? You can order the damn phone so they deliver it at your door on the same day as those guys waiting out there in the cold morning :p

Ugh dumb transfer, for Chelsea I mean. He seemed like he got some real talent. :/

Pretty sure you can forget about Lukaku though.

Seeing a lot of pics from Samsung with people standing in line for the S4. Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of sad to wait in line for a mobile phone? You can order the damn phone so they deliver it at your door on the same day as those guys waiting out there in the cold morning :p
Yes, it's very sad, especially for iPhones and most Apple products :p

Whatever they want to use their time on, I've stood in line for dumber things lol

Fuck Dortmund ;)

Jajaja, we will take all your talent!
The other Hazard, Lukaku, Piazon, Courtois, Ake :p

Hard to see Chelsea selling Lukaku but Chelsea will probably be open to a loan deal if Dortmund are interested in that.

Dortmund should also go for Eriksen. He would be alright at Dortmund and continue to progress. He has talent.

Nah, we probably won't want a loan. But my rationale is that Lukaku may just force a transfer if Chelsea kept all their strikers and piled Falcao on top of them.
Eriksen would be nice and I think we'll get someone else for the OM besides de Bruyne (if it turns out to be true anyways), but Klopp might as well want to push Gündogan into OM more regularly too. I'd definitely still want someone like Isco, Eriksen or KPB.

Sloosha

^ Can we at least have Lewa pls.

Ugh dumb transfer, for Chelsea I mean. He seemed like he got some real talent. :/

Pretty sure you can forget about Lukaku though.

Yeah, not too happy with us selling De Bruyne tbh.

Has there been any new news regarding Schurrle?

Lightning

Banned
I remember standing in line for hours in the rain for a PS2 on launch day. Never again!

GorillaJu

What? So you only know Bayern and Schlake fans or what? Klopp isn't hated.

I don't know any Bayern fans, actually. One of them is a Schalke fan, but literally all of the German guys I know hate Klopp. When I said I thought he was great and has a good personality, I was scoffed at.

Lightning

Banned
Nah, we probably won't want a loan. But my rationale is that Lukaku may just force a transfer if Chelsea kept all their strikers and piled Falcao on top of them.
Eriksen would be nice and I think we'll get someone else for the OM besides de Bruyne (if it turns out to be true anyways), but Klopp might as well want to push Gündogan into OM more regularly too. I'd definitely still want someone like Isco, Eriksen or KPB.
Isco would be great but he'd cost Dortmund 35mil. Do you want to spend that on Isco? Lukaku will leave Chelsea eventually unless he gets game time there. He won't want to keep getting loaned out everywhere, it will get to the point he won't extend his contract at some point. I mean Chelsea sent Lukaku out on loan, kept Torres as their main striker and then purchased Ba in January. Now they want Falcao? I don't get Chelsea.

De Bruyne has amassed 9 assists and 6 goals so far at a team that plays against relegation (Bremen).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoG5s49jTI

Especially his work rate/tenacity must have impressed Klopp.

Isco would be great but he'd cost Dortmund 35mil. Do you want to spend that on Isco? Lukaku will leave Chelsea eventually unless he gets game time there. He won't want to keep getting loaned out everywhere, it will get to the point he won't extend his contract at some point. I mean Chelsea sent Lukaku out on loan, kept Torres as their main striker and then purchased Ba in January. Now they want Falcao? I don't get Chelsea.
I don't know man, we posted a 35m profit last season, now our CL revenue is 25-30 more than last season + 37m for Götze. We just simply have to invest to stay competitive, raise our profile, send positive signals to the rest of the squad.
Yeah, Chelsea have been really stupid with Lukaku imho. Maybe Mou will change that..

fuenf

I think this summer will say a lot abot Dortmund / Klopp. It's the first time they really have to strengthen the team through the transfer market.

I don't know man, we posted a 35m profit last season, now our CL revenue is 25-30 more than last season + 37m for Götze. We just simply have to invest to stay competitive, raise our profile, send positive signals to the rest of the squad.

Yeah you'll have to invest just to keep the tax bill down. ;)

Blablurn

Leverkusen never invested their Champions League + transfer money either back in the days. But yeah, that was stupid.

lol, remember when berti vogts coached leverkusen? crazy times.

fuenf

Leverkusen never invested their Champions League + transfer money either back in the days. But yeah, that was stupid.

Well the difference is that Dortmund doesnt really need to make huge a profit as long as they dont lose money they are fine, with Leverkusen being part of Bayer things might be different over there...

Isco would be great but he'd cost Dortmund 35mil. Do you want to spend that on Isco?

You know, I've thought about that. Would Isco really cost 35m?

I know it's his (rumored?) release clause. But let's be honest, I doubt he wants to stay at Malaga without CL and Europa League. So, who would actually pay 35m for him? Madrid, Barca, Chelsea don't really need him now. United and Arsenal won't pay 35m for Isco. There's always City and PSG but I'm not so sure if they want him.

I think it's possible that he moves at a price cheaper than his release clause.

Top Bottom