• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Who is this exactly? Me? If so, my first move would be to bring back Andrei Arshavin, as top earner again, of course.

Is Shava going to Zenit after being not even benched by Wenger all season?

damn, Shava's wife is so fine
30_img9364crop.jpg

Arnie

Who is this exactly? Me? If so, my first move would be to bring back Andrei Arshavin, as top earner again, of course.

Thought there was some Russian guy managing in Japan that Arsenal were really interested in. Apparently he's young, and his career thus far isn't too dissimilar to Wenger's path pre-Arsenal. He might be Croatian, or something. Russian was a punt.

I'm kind of at a loss to see why PSG would be desperate to hire Wenger, though, despite his nationality. What's he done for the last seven years apart from build repeatedly tired, spineless squads?

Txixi lol
Villa YES
Sunderland lol
Pellegrini hmm

Iron Man 3 was really fun. Entertaining as fuck for two hours.
Yeah I saw it today and thought the same. I expected it to be really crap but I quite enjoyed it.

I still find Tony Stark to be an infuriatingly annoying ass, though.

Koko

Banned

damn, Shava's wife is so fine
http://www.dennisdavydov.com/files/gimgs/30_img9364crop.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not bad, but she has nothing compare to him

[QUOTE][IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ks35Yp754Ao/Tyind9uZDAI/AAAAAAAABqE/gaHvo54qiSI/s1600/arshavin+2.jpg

No. We might have gotten him last summer but he ruined any chance of that happening with his post Euro comments. Now? Zero chance. If he's not good enough to make the bench at Arsenal then he's also not good enough for Zenit. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the little fucker retire in the summer. RIP Shava. Surely the most talented Russian footballer of the 2000s.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah I saw it today and thought the same. I expected it to be really crap but I quite enjoyed it.

I still find Tony Stark to be an infuriatingly annoying ass, though.

He's a dick, but it's funny. And RDJ is perfect for it. Honestly don't see how they could ever recast him, it's not like Bond or even Batman where I could imagine someone topping it or some shit, especially considering Bonds and Batmans aren't contained in this universe Marvel have made for themselves. Should kill off Tony in Avengers 2 so there's an actual fucking threat level instead of the shitty aliens in the first one.

Ben Kingsley was amazing.

jtb

Banned
Thought there was some Russian guy managing in Japan that Arsenal were really interested in. Apparently he's young, and his career thus far isn't too dissimilar to Wenger's path pre-Arsenal. He might be Croatian, or something. Russian was a punt.

I'm kind of at a loss to see why PSG would be desperate to hire Wenger, though, despite his nationality. What's he done for the last seven years apart from build repeatedly tired, spineless squads?

well he's built those squads at basically zero cost. so the logic probably is that if he can built trophy-challenging (if not winning) squads for nothing, then who knows what he can do with oil money.

I don't know if Wenger's the problem or if the board is, but it's pretty obvious that his heart isn't in the Arsenal project anymore so I wouldn't mind him leaving. Maybe he'll go out on a high note at PSG, maybe not. Can't see him renewing his contract either way.

That line about Newcastle's French contingent in the Telegraph is hilarious.

And why is Sheikh Mansour bidding for the New York City FC franchise? One club not enough for him?

Wilbur

Banned
Wasn't RDJ struggling with alcoholism at one point before he got the part as Sherlock Holmes'?

Before Iron Man and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang actually, 90s. Did time in jail and rehab I think on drugs and booze, and then came back big time.

I was thinking about Tropic Thunder the other day and as much as that film is fucking turd, RDJ was so good in it. Great in Zodiac as well.

rodvik

Wigan have a game in hand and we're playing the worst football between the teams in the zone. If Boyce hadn't scored that OG in the 90th minute Wigan would be two behind with a game in hand...

We probably will be fine, but there are too many Newcastle fans pretending there isn't a problem. It's killing me.

You guys have a game with "free 3pts" QPR coming up dont you?

Should be fine,

rodvik

So its

Wenger to PSG
Ancelotti to Madrid
Mourinho to Chelsea
Fat Spanish Bastard to ???
Pellegrini to City
Mancini to ???
Pep to Bayern
Henyckes to ???

About right?

My guesses

Wenger to PSG
Ancelotti to Madrid
Mourinho to Manchester United
Rafa to Barcelona? Nah, Inter?
Pellegrini to City
Mancini to Chelsea
Pep to Bayern
Henyckes to German National team
Lowe to Arsenal

Timurid

Well the only other prime candidates are Jupp and Pellegrini, but PSG wants someone who speaks french... The french media keeps criticizing the team because we don't have a lot of french players in the squad. If Wenger joined that will certainly change.

Plus we have a good youth system and have a few top prospects such as Rabiot, Verratti, Bahebeck, etc etc. I think Wenger will be a right fit for the job.

Well the only other prime candidates are Jupp and Pellegrini, but PSG wants someone who speaks french... The french media keeps criticizing the team because we don't have a lot of french players in the squad. If Wenger joined that will certainly change.

Plus we have a good youth system and have a few top prospects such as Rabiot, Verratti, Bahebeck, etc etc. I think Wenger will be a right fit for the job.

Ancelotti would take Verratti and Zlatan (lol) to Real Madrid if he leaves, according to the rumors.

doicare

Muppet Watch:
United have been linked with both Ronaldo and Bale tonight in cash+player deals.

So Real get Nani and Tottenham get Young, hahaha i look forward to this summer.

Muppet Watch:
United have been linked with both Ronaldo and Bale tonight in cash+player deals.

So Real get Nani and Tottenham get Young, hahaha i look forward to this summer.

United would have to put up a lot of cash in those deals then since those players only add negative value :p

Koko

Banned

I think you are talking about Dragan Stojkovic and he is Serbian.

Spurs desperately need a striker. It would be a bit barmy to sell Bale unless he really wants to go - we're not bottom of the league scrapers. The only place for us to go (in terms of progress) is continuous top four, CL contention, and you can't get there by selling your best players. Selling Bale would say a lot about our ambition. I think last summer was a turning point wrt Bale - when Modric went, Bale couldn't. There's no way we could lose both. Right now, we're doing very well for quality midfielders - Bale, Dembele, Holtby, Gylfie etc. But Adebayor and Defore just can't cut it.

Lightning

Banned
well he's built those squads at basically zero cost. so the logic probably is that if he can built trophy-challenging (if not winning) squads for nothing, then who knows what he can do with oil money.

I don't know if Wenger's the problem or if the board is, but it's pretty obvious that his heart isn't in the Arsenal project anymore so I wouldn't mind him leaving. Maybe he'll go out on a high note at PSG, maybe not. Can't see him renewing his contract either way.
I'm so half hearted about Wenger going its not even funny. On one hand we need a change but on the other hand if we get the wrong manager in we will spend a lot of money and be a worse team for it. Even if the board gave 100million if you have an idiot doing the buying then we will end up worse off then Liverpool. Just look at Liverpool, they gave Dalglish all that money, he spent it on rubbish now Rodgers has a task and a half cleaning up the mess with shitty resources.

Timurid

I could see it happening, as well as Benzema joining PSG.

Benzema will awesome at PSG, but i'm quite sure Verratti is staying this summer.

The Italian media are starting all these rumors. They linked at least 5-7 players all to the Milans, Juve, and Madrid. They're so mad that we gutted a few clubs over there in our summer raids. hahaha

Hopefully we can get Cavani in the summer. It will be huge. :D

Fintan

So it seems like the race for Top 4 balances in huge part on the result of the Chelsea vs Spurs game. I've been thinking about it and I'm sort of worried. Home results have been consistently good lately, and we had a great result against them earlier in the season but I feel like Bale and co will pull out a good performance. Predictions?

Hopefully United aren't bothered at all on Sunday.

GorillaJu

Spurs desperately need a striker. It would be a bit barmy to sell Bale unless he really wants to go - we're not bottom of the league scrapers. The only place for us to go (in terms of progress) is continuous top four, CL contention, and you can't get there by selling your best players. Selling Bale would say a lot about our ambition. I think last summer was a turning point wrt Bale - when Modric went, Bale couldn't. There's no way we could lose both. Right now, we're doing very well for quality midfielders - Bale, Dembele, Holtby, Gylfie etc. But Adebayor and Defore just can't cut it.

Holtby and Sigs have been a bit underwhelming don't you think? Sigs has had three maybe four good performances and Holtby initially looked promising but petered out quickly.

Agree you really need a striker though. It's easy to forget that severe lack when you have Bale able to contribute so well with goals. Of course Adebayor was supposed to solve all your problems (our Spurs fans here seemed to think so) and that didnt work out. Could it be that Spurs are shaping up like Everton in that strikers go there and then stop scoring goals while the midfielders flourish?

jtb

Banned
I'm so half hearted about Wenger going its not even funny. On one hand we need a change but on the other hand if we get the wrong manager in we will spend a lot of money and be a worse team for it. Even if the board gave 100million if you have an idiot doing the buying then we will end up worse off then Liverpool. Just look at Liverpool, they gave Dalglish all that money, he spent it on rubbish now Rodgers has a task and a half cleaning up the mess with shitty resources.

Same. Ending up like Liverpool is definitely the fear... and a very real fear. Once you drop out of the top 4, it is ridiculously tough (especially with City and Chelsea spending huge amounts of money every summer) to get back in.

Hopefully we could attract a quality managerial replacement if Wenger does go. That's the key, I think... not if he goes (because I think he will), but who will take his place. Hopefully not another yes man for the board.

Holtby and Sigs have been a bit underwhelming don't you think? Sigs has had three maybe four good performances and Holtby initially looked promising but petered out quickly.

Agree you really need a striker though. It's easy to forget that severe lack when you have Bale able to contribute so well with goals. Of course Adebayor was supposed to solve all your problems (our Spurs fans here seemed to think so) and that didnt work out. Could it be that Spurs are shaping up like Everton in that strikers go there and then stop scoring goals while the midfielders flourish?

Adebayor is fucking terrible. That's the real problem and Levy is an idiot for buying him.

Holtby only ever gets brought on for the last 25 minutes or so, and I think he does really well in his role - but at that point in the game, you want a Lennon like figure who's going to change the game, which isn't what Holtby is. Gylfie could have been better but he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time for us, which is valuable! Behind Bale, though, I think the two other key players for us this year have been defender-cum-striker Vertonghen and Lloris, neither of whom were at the club before this season, so I think "the team" is moving in the right direction.

In fairness, I think Adebayor is a special case, given he's a massive wanker. I don't even know why he bothered playing so well when he was on loan - to get the contract, I guess, but it's not like City could have just sacked him. God knows. Defore is a bit of a Scott Parker figure - does surprisingly well given he's clearly not up to the task. I don't think we necessarily need a Suarez or a RVP - though obviously they'd be very welcome, sans arm biting - we just need a solid, dependable striker who can put away the easy balls. We have good enough midfielders that we don't need a Rooney (of old)/Messi character who can create goals out of no where.

GorillaJu

Real have absolutely no incentive to sell Ronaldo for anything less than stupid dollar amounts. Will United spend the 60-80m for him?

Will they fuck

/salazar

We have good enough midfielders that we don't need a Rooney (of old)/Messi character who can create goals out of no where.

Indeed, you've got Bale already for this. Really hope y'all don't sell him this season. If you do, dear god not Utd

Top Bottom