• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Lightning

Banned
Same. Ending up like Liverpool is definitely the fear... and a very real fear. Once you drop out of the top 4, it is ridiculously tough (especially with City and Chelsea spending huge amounts of money every summer) to get back in.

Hopefully we could attract a quality managerial replacement if Wenger does go. That's the key, I think... not if he goes (because I think he will), but who will take his place. Hopefully not another yes man for the board.
Any idea who you would want? I really don't think David Moyes is the answer to anything.

Realistic targets that is. Don't say Klopp.

jtb

Banned
Any idea who you would want? I really don't think David Moyes is the answer to anything.

Realistic targets that is. Don't say Klopp.

I don't want Moyes. He'd just be Wenger all over again (which probably makes him the most likely appointment: safe, cheap, decidedly unambitious)

I think Van Gaal is the best possible option. Or maybe taking a punt on someone like De Boer (and drag Bergkamp with him). Klopp is obviously the dream but like you say, that's not going to happen. I'm curious about Low, but I don't know how well someone's national team experience would translate to club football or even if he'd want to come.

I guess Heynckes wouldn't be bad either if he's not retiring at the end of the season but he didn't really built the team. He comes across as more of a coach than a manager though... and this squad needs a complete overhaul, imo. Plus, would he come? I dunno.

Same. Ending up like Liverpool is definitely the fear... and a very real fear. Once you drop out of the top 4, it is ridiculously tough (especially with City and Chelsea spending huge amounts of money every summer) to get back in.

Hopefully we could attract a quality managerial replacement if Wenger does go. That's the key, I think... not if he goes (because I think he will), but who will take his place. Hopefully not another yes man for the board.

Why do you think Wenger will leave?

jtb

Banned
Why do you think Wenger will leave?

It just feels like it's been coming for a while. Fabregas leaving seems like it completely tore his heart out, and it seemed like last season was him starting from scratch all over again, only for it to happen again with RVP :lol. And on top of that, when you think about how angry he was over the reports that he was signing a new contract before the Munich game; it just doesn't feel like he's going to renew. He doesn't even bother with his usual shielding of the team with the usual Wengerisms anymore. It all just feels very lifeless. So imo, it's just a question of whether he has some kind of arranged dignified exit this season or if he sees out his contract to the end of next season.

It just feels like it's been coming for a while. Fabregas leaving seems like it completely tore his heart out, and it seemed like last season was him starting from scratch all over again, only for it to happen again with RVP :lol. And on top of that, when you think about how angry he was over the reports that he was signing a new contract before the Munich game; it just doesn't feel like he's going to renew. He doesn't even bother with his usual shielding of the team with the usual Wengerisms anymore. It all just feels very lifeless. So imo, it's just a question of whether he has some kind of arranged dignified exit this season or if he sees out his contract to the end of next season.
Hmm yeah I see your points, you make some good ones here. The fans will miss him terribly, and understandably so; but its time for a new start, a new era, a new manager. I think he will stay till the end of his current contract, maybe he will move upstairs?

All my Arsenal friends actually want him gone too, but not in a mean way, more like finally switching off the life support machine of a relative after a 7 year coma. A sort of melancholy acknowledgement that, despite the pain, it's for the best.

Scum

Holtby only ever gets brought on for the last 25 minutes or so, and I think he does really well in his role - but at that point in the game, you want a Lennon like figure who's going to change the game, which isn't what Holtby is. Gylfie could have been better but he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time for us, which is valuable! Behind Bale, though, I think the two other key players for us this year have been defender-cum-striker Vertonghen and Lloris, neither of whom were at the club before this season, so I think "the team" is moving in the right direction.

In fairness, I think Adebayor is a special case, given he's a massive wanker. I don't even know why he bothered playing so well when he was on loan - to get the contract, I guess, but it's not like City could have just sacked him. God knows. Defore is a bit of a Scott Parker figure - does surprisingly well given he's clearly not up to the task. I don't think we necessarily need a Suarez or a RVP - though obviously they'd be very welcome, sans arm biting - we just need a solid, dependable striker who can put away the easy balls. We have good enough midfielders that we don't need a Rooney (of old)/Messi character who can create goals out of no where.

Benteke for £50m.

Lunchbox

Banned
Resigning Ronaldo might be a disappointment. What if he fails?
ronaldo isnt some one trick growth hormone poney like messi who cant perform outside of a specific system built for him and the sucks dick when his team mates cant feed him balls.

Ronnie has carried clank clank teams and has shown how to adapt his game to portugal, england, spain and the international level with mediocre teammates behind him. He is one of those once a generation players.

Timurid

@barcastuff 3m

Busquets (sports hernia) will be doubtful until the last minute for Wednesday's game against Bayern. Song option to replace him. [sport]

Adios Barca! :D

FootballFan

^@LB - Messi shits on Ronaldo. (Ronaldo is not upset by this, he feels blessed to even get touched by Messi's poop)

@barcastuff 3m

Busquets (sports hernia) will be doubtful until the last minute for Wednesday's game against Bayern. Song option to replace him. [sport]

Adios Barca! :D

:(

Remuntada

Dibbz

All this Wenger talk. His contract goes until next season doesn't it? He has always said he would see out his contract. I'm sure he did say once before though that he would leave if he felt it was best for the club if he could no longer push us. Would pain me to see him leave though, even though we have fallen a bit, he is Arsenals last prized asset.

valeo

All this Wenger talk. His contract goes until next season doesn't it? He has always said he would see out his contract. I'm sure he did say once before though that he would leave if he felt it was best for the club if he could no longer push us. Would pain me to see him leave though, even though we have fallen a bit, he is Arsenals last prized asset.

Hopefully we win something next year and see him off properly.

Suen

HALA MADRIIIIIIIIIID!!

Today it happens, Remuntada of the century!!!!

#LaLigaRemuntada

real.gif

A 27 year old Argentinian defender who plays his football in Mexico?

I suppose he might be there to fill in as emergency cover since Kolo Toure will no longer have that role.

Novaretti is good, a bit clumsy with the ball but is a good defender.

Defenders in Mexico, Mier, Hugo Ayala the 2 best in the championship

FootballFan

Why did Barca sign Song btw? He never starts and barely plays.

Keita left.

Funny, Keita played the most games for Barca in 2011(I think), compared to Song who doesn't get a game lol.

Instead of signing a CB the board signed a defensive mid hoping he can play CB like Yaya, Marquez, Busquets, Mascherano have for us.

Unfortunately Song doesn't know how to tackle, which turns out is pretty important for a CB.

jtb

Banned
lol Song. shit attitude, shit defensive midfielder, shit player. sucks that he's been so useless for you, but... thanks for the 15m!

valeo

lol Song. shit attitude, shit defensive midfielder, shit player. sucks that he's been so useless for you, but... thanks for the 15m!

I wonder if Barca have learnt not to buy from us yet? Prob not - they'll get Vermaelen next year, no doubt.

Suen

:lol :lol :lol

Should sell them some more of our players, Gervi, Giroud and Sagna to start with.

edit: of course Vermin too, thanks valeo

Dibbz

Keita left.

Funny, Keita played the most games for Barca in 2011(I think), compared to Song who doesn't get a game lol.

Instead of signing a CB the board signed a defensive mid hoping he can play CB like Yaya, Marquez, Busquets, Mascherano have for us.

Unfortunately Song doesn't know how to tackle, which turns out is pretty important for a CB.

They probably saw one or two clips of him playing lofted balls from the middle and thats it because if they actually watched a full game he always let players through. One of the reasons our defense got pounded year after year was because he was the "cover".

GorillaJu

The Football Weekly pundits creaming their pants over Coutinho gave me a bit of joy. Been awhile since they spoke about Liverpool players unreservedly in a positive fashion.

There was a lot of positivity in how we played vs Newcastle and I attribute this in no small part to Suarez's absence. Hopefully he comes back a better player and a nicer person on the pitch, but I'm not sure one can change to the degree he'd need to, to turn his image around.

A French friend of mine mentioned that he hates Suarez for his actions but he can empathize because when he plays, he gets that same competitive fervor where he does and says things he'd normally never do in order to win. We even played in the street with a couple Japanese kids, no older than 7 or 8, and he went all out, kept score, never let them get goals, etc. What a doucherocket. When I see people like that, I wonder if its possible to change.

The Football Weekly pundits creaming their pants over Coutinho gave me a bit of joy. Been awhile since they spoke about Liverpool players unreservedly in a positive fashion.

There was a lot of positivity in how we played vs Newcastle and I attribute this in no small part to Suarez's absence. Hopefully he comes back a better player and a nicer person on the pitch, but I'm not sure one can change to the degree he'd need to, to turn his image around.
#PrayForSuarez

suarez-luis-130422-8col.jpg

Meier

The Mirror are saying Spurs are trying to tie up Ince before Liverpool. Apparently want him as cover for Aaron Lennon and will offer £6.5m.

GorillaJu

Eh, it's just more conjecture from the Mirror – it makes logical sense so now it's a story. I personally do not think that we really need Ince. We have Cou who is 20 (Ince's age) and Sterling who is 17, both capable on the left wing.

Downing has been really quite good since his resurgence in form, so I don't see the point in getting a player with potential for a position we're already well-stocked in. If we got a player who is a big step above Downing he'd likely cost us quite a sum. If we plan to play Sterling on the right and have Ince on the left then it makes more sense.

But above all, why would Ince move clubs (to either place) to sit on the bench when he left Liverpool in the first place with the aim of getting more playing time?

Top Bottom