• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Clegg

I'm not saying that players would prefer to join City over Bayern, but I'd like to think after 1 FA Cup, 1 Premier League and another FA Cup final in the space of 3 seasons, players may look at us as a genuine club to join to win stuff.

Inb4 shitty CL. Because I'm aware of that.

If you keep winning stuff for another four or five years then maybe you'll start to see a change in the mindset of players towards City. Right now you're still small fish when compared to the major European clubs.

And I'd imagine City's poor CL record plays a big part in some players turning you down.

Meier

MLS + ManCity NYC FC = One big middle finger to the NY Cosmos

Cosmos organization must be devastated; their stadium would have been a mile down the road from me too :(

I've not really read into the details yet but I read the New York City team would join in 2016.

The New York Cosmos were hoping to be that 2016 team.

They re-formed as an organization a couple years ago. Since then they've gotten their administration in order, coaches in order, and most recently have been signing up players and are currently training and preparing to play in the NASL which is 3rd division North American soccer.

They secured financing for a new state-of-the-art stadium on Long Island, roughly 15 miles east of Manhattan. MLS wants the stadium on NYC premises not Long Island and they have butted heads over this.

The Cosmos have essentially been trying to build up the organization from nothing and were fighting uphill and then this happens out of nowhere, they must be crushed.

Just as an FYI, this isn't out of the blue and definitely didn't happen out of nowhere. It's been reported since December of last year that City were one of the four main parties who were looking at working with the MLS to start another MLS club IN New York City. I posted about it at the time (natch) but said I couldn't imagine anyone would pay the $100m expansion fee for NYC. Obviously the MLS stood strong on that price tag and with that being a drop in the bucket for Mansour, they weren't put off by it.

Who knows, maybe the Red Bulls will be re-branded or sold or something since they're in NJ and a decent trek away from Manhattan. The Cosmos could always join the MLS in the future if things change with the NYRB.

Salazar

Willa Holland, certified hottie.

uoyfpqN.gif

Suen

If you keep winning stuff for another four or five years then maybe you'll start to see a change in the mindset of players towards City. Right now you're still small fish when compared to the major European clubs.

And I'd imagine City's poor CL record plays a big part in some players turning you down.
With the amount of investment and cash they put on players I honestly expected them to do better at CL but even Ajax, with far less money as I understand, did better. That's on top of an average-to-shitty Madrid during the group stages.

Meier

You're honestly telling me that maybe the biggest talent in (German) football would make less money at City than Yaya Toure? I can't imagine City would approach a player like Götze with such a laughable offer.

Yes, absolutely I'm telling you that. Yaya Toure is easily one of, if not the, best CMs in the world. Gotze is still very young and has only had 1 particularly accomplished season (this year) and that involved scoring "only" 16 goals across all competitions. He is incredibly talented, but you don't make him the best paid player in the Premier League until he gets a few more years under his belt. The fact he's going to get that much as is says Bayern were desperate for his signature. Weakening Dortmund means strengthening them so they were going to pay whatever it took to make that statement.

The reality of the situation is that figure was completely laughable and only people with jaded, misguided notions would even do anything but laugh at it. That's a fact.

Kenka

Ahem, FadyK. Just for the sake of honesty, I think I liked Resident Evil 4 more than ICO last decade. But that's the only exception.

Resident Evil 4 was a condensed pack of fun and awesome.

Lightning

Banned
I'm not saying that players would prefer to join City over Bayern, but I'd like to think after 1 FA Cup, 1 Premier League and another FA Cup final in the space of 3 seasons, players may look at us as a genuine club to join to win stuff.

Inb4 shitty CL. Because I'm aware of that.
Getting German players to leave Germany when Bayern are interested in them is always hard for everyone. Sami Khedira would have ditched Madrid to go to Bayern if Van Gaal hadn't stopped it.

I wouldn't read anything into Gotze honestly. You can't really believe any numbers that are mentioned in relation to the matter as it will all be for Bayern's ego as City offered < insert random amount> and he still choose us so money had no barring on the move to Bayern. It's a means for Bayern to save face for the stupid amount they are paying.

Clegg

I have issues with calling Yaya one of the best central midfielders in the world. He can be brilliant when he's in the mood but for large parts of the season he's looked lazy and disinterested.

Slizz

I have issues with calling Yaya one of the best central midfielders in the world. He can be brilliant when he's in the mood but for large parts of the season he's looked lazy and disinterested.

Well he plays for City...

Who else would be in the running this year?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2013%2f4%2fSttacking-Stats.jpg

Serie A is a defensive league.

Great anecdote in Pirlo's biography about stealing Gattuso's phone

Gattuso was negotiating a new contract at the time. Pirlo sent a series of texts from his phone to Milan director Ariedo Braida such as "Dear Ariedo, if you give me what you want, I'll give you my sister."

KuGsj.gif

Salazar

It will be fucking priceless if Pardew gets booted for a French replacement.

Holy shit at Banned Paper "scouting report" on Januzaj

CURRENT RATING: 2/5

POTENTIAL RATING: 4/5

And the div on twitter

Josh Davies &#8207;@JoshDavies__ 22m
@adamcrafton_ So how many times have you seen him play live then?

Adam Crafton &#8207;@AdamCrafton_ 18m
@JoshDavies__ how dare you

We met with his agent in March and nothing came of it. I'm sure they have City a chance to counter but Götze isn't Messi or Ronaldo. You don't completely decimate your wage structure for him especially when the team has been making attempts to LOWER the overall wage budget.

&#8364;12m = £10.1m or around £208k per week. City probably offered around £150-175k at most. Aguero was more accomplished and cost more upfront but his salary was in that range to start when we were spending more.

You decimated your wage structure multiple times already. You had to in order to sign players like Tevez, Yaya Toure, etc... I don't agree with the idea that you wouldn't have to or be willing to do that in order to convince Gotze to leave Dortmund and choose City over Europe's top clubs. Especially when you want to become one of those top clubs, but don't have that level history or prestige. It's so easily forgotten that City were willing to pay £100 million for Kaka. What do you think that would have done to the wage structure?

Which leads onto this:

Yes, absolutely I'm telling you that. Yaya Toure is easily one of, if not the, best CMs in the world. Gotze is still very young and has only had 1 particularly accomplished season (this year) and that involved scoring "only" 16 goals across all competitions. He is incredibly talented, but you don't make him the best paid player in the Premier League until he gets a few more years under his belt. The fact he's going to get that much as is says Bayern were desperate for his signature. Weakening Dortmund means strengthening them so they were going to pay whatever it took to make that statement.

The reality of the situation is that figure was completely laughable and only people with jaded, misguided notions would even do anything but laugh at it. That's a fact.

If City want to compete with these clubs, then they can't just sit back and let them sign the best players in Europe. I think Robin Van Persie is the clearest example. And the management at City must know this. When you look at someone like Gotze, and the level he might be at in 2-3 years time, do you think they will be looking back and saying, "well we couldn't decimate our wage structure for him". I seriously doubt they are not doing everything they can financially to stop players like Gotze, or Cavani, or Neymar from choosing these other clubs over City. Because I seriously doubt these players are thinking about Manchester City unless you are offering more than these other clubs are.

dc89

Ever since I got bored with my Xbox I'm actually finishing games! Bioshock - done! Tomb Raider - done!

Next up: Ni No Kunti.

Slizz

I'm actually going to start Tomb Raider this weekend, solely on Footy-GAFs praise.

It could get interesting if Barca or Madrid manage to get a 2-0/3-0 lead before half time.

Of course, I just don't see it happening. Dortmund Real will probably be the best of the 2.

Linius

I'm actually going to start Tomb Raider this weekend, solely on Footy-GAFs praise.

Of course, I just don't see it happening. Dortmund Real will probably be the best of the 2.

Tomb Raider is awesome, enjoy it!

And as a Barca fan I can only hope miracles will happen. For the Dortmund game I just hope Dortmund slays them again :p

Clegg

If they announce a version for hardware that isn't 7 years old they got my interest. But with GTA4 in mind, meh.

I assume it will come out for next gen consoles too.

They'd be letting a lot of sales money get away if they didn't at least port the game over.

Meier

Because I seriously doubt these players are thinking about Manchester City unless you are offering more than these other clubs are.

Well, as you've noticed.. some of the top players aren't choosing us and that's probably because the team isn't willing to go much higher than the £200k we've essentially set as the ceiling. The Cavani thing seems feasible (roughly £250k) but I'd still bet it'd be a lower base that was heavily incentivized. Either way though, £250k and £350k are worlds apart. There is 0% chance we offered Gotze £350k a week.

The Kaka thing was years ago and isn't at all relevant to this conversation or really any going forward. It's easy to forget it because it didn't happen (thankfully). At the time, FFP wasn't a thing and City were building. Now it's been built and they're trying to improve rather than start over.

Wilbur

Banned
You decimated your wage structure multiple times already. You had to in order to sign players like Tevez, Yaya Toure, etc... I don't agree with the idea that you wouldn't have to or be willing to do that in order to convince Gotze to leave Dortmund and choose City over Europe's top clubs. Especially when you want to become one of those top clubs, but don't have that level history or prestige. It's so easily forgotten that City were willing to pay £100 million for Kaka. What do you think that would have done to the wage structure?

Which leads onto this:

If City want to compete with these clubs, then they can't just sit back and let them sign the best players in Europe. I think Robin Van Persie is the clearest example. And the management at City must know this. When you look at someone like Gotze, and the level he might be at in 2-3 years time, do you think they will be looking back and saying, "well we couldn't decimate our wage structure for him". I seriously doubt they are not doing everything they can financially to stop players like Gotze, or Cavani, or Neymar from choosing these other clubs over City. Because I seriously doubt these players are thinking about Manchester City unless you are offering more than these other clubs are.

Great post.

Top Bottom