• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Salazar

Stop flirting, morsel

J League swag

RQo5lU0.gif

In a weekend with a full 10 fixtures, why exactly have Sky/ESPN decided not to show any of the games on Saturday?

3 hours' sleep. I'm sure that won't fuck me up later on in the day ¬¬

I'm dying here
Yeah, this was great. Also:

“I have dealt with many Coaches in my career, but Conte is the one who surprised me the most. He needed just one speech, with many simple words, to conquer both me and Juventus. We arrived together on the Planet Juventus.

“He presented himself to us on the first day of pre-season training in the gym at Bardonecchia. He already had fire running through his veins and moved like a viper. ‘This squad, dear lads, is coming off two consecutive seventh-place finishes. It’s crazy. Shocking. I am not here for this, so it’s time to stop being crap.’

“If Arrigo Sacchi was a genius, then what is he? I expected him to be great, but not that great. I thought of a Coach with a lot of grit and charisma, but instead I discovered he has much to teach his colleagues in terms of tactics and technique.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
More quotes from Pirlo's book

Andrea Pirlo has written an autobiography, which covers his Milan leaving gift, how he nearly returned to Inter and dodging bottles thrown by ‘viper’ Antonio Conte.

The midfielder is set to publish his book, titled ‘I think, therefore I play,’ and La Gazzetta dello Sport published some extracts today.

Pirlo reveals he was less than impressed with his parting gift from Milan – a Cartier pen with the club symbol on it.

“A lovely pen, but still a pen. Filled with banal blue ink. Adriano Galliani told me ‘Make sure you don’t use that to sign a new contract with Juventus.’ At least he got the joke right.

“As a goodbye gift I expected something more than that perfect comic timing. My 10 years of Milan, gone like that. I smiled anyway.

“It was a mutual decision to leave, as I did not want to risk suffering from boredom. That is why I was disappointed at the end of that final meeting, but only to the right degree. So was Galliani.”

Pirlo also wrote about the fact Massimiliano Allegri wanted to move him to the left side of midfield rather than in front of the defence.

“I still thought I could give my best there. A fish breathes when it is in deep water. It makes do when near the surface, but it’s not the same thing.

“We never discussed money that afternoon in the spring of 2011. Never. In those 30 minutes, we didn’t broach the subject of economics with Galliani. I just wanted to be considered important, at the centre of a project and not a player heading for the scrap yard.”

He had joined Inter as an Under-21 international, but reveals then-Coach Leonardo tried to bring him back there when his contract expired with Milan in 2011.

“He told me great things about Inter, how happy and fired up he was. It could’ve been a great challenge to go back where I had already been, to cross the city after 10 consecutive years at Milan, nine of which had been extraordinary.

“Leonardo could’ve helped me with that, if he hadn’t gone to Paris Saint-Germain a few weeks later. I couldn’t do it, though. It would’ve been really too much and the Milan fans did not deserve an affront like that.”

Pirlo also considered an offer from Roma, but was “suspicious” when the new American owners wouldn’t go into detail about the kind of team they were building.

“I have dealt with many Coaches in my career, but Conte is the one who surprised me the most. He needed just one speech, with many simple words, to conquer both me and Juventus. We arrived together on the Planet Juventus.

“He presented himself to us on the first day of pre-season training in the gym at Bardonecchia. He already had fire running through his veins and moved like a viper. ‘This squad, dear lads, is coming off two consecutive seventh-place finishes. It’s crazy. Shocking. I am not here for this, so it’s time to stop being crap.’

“If Arrigo Sacchi was a genius, then what is he? I expected him to be great, but not that great. I thought of a Coach with a lot of grit and charisma, but instead I discovered he has much to teach his colleagues in terms of tactics and technique.

“Going back, there is one thing I wouldn’t do again – choose the locker right next to Gigi Buffon at the Juventus Stadium, the one in front of the door,” wrote Pirlo.

“It is the most dangerous spot in Turin, especially at half-time. Conte storms in and – even when we are winning – throws anything he can get his hands on towards the wall, which is my spot. He’ll throw anything he can find, almost always plastic bottles full of water. Very fizzy water.

“He becomes a beast and is never happy, as there is always some detail that isn’t perfect and he can see in advance what could happen over the next 45 minutes.

“One time we were losing to Milan and he couldn’t get over it. ‘Against them! I can’t understand how we can’t be beating them! They even play badly.’”

It remains to be seen what Conte will be saying at half-time on Sunday evening when Juventus welcome Milan to Turin

So, tomorrow we'll probably play like this:
---------------Abbiati

--Abate-Mexes-Zapata-De Sciglio

---Ambrosini-Montolivo-Muntari

---Boateng-Pazzini-El Shaarawy

I'm ready to see us losing for the first time in 2013, I'm fucking ready. I even said that I won't play 5-a-side tomorrow, I want to enjoy Allegri's daidaidai tactics from the first minute.
De Sciglio: "As a child I was a Juventus supporter, like my father."

Milan's future Maldini.

It's over, TheLucifer, it's over.
SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP

Antonini said something like that too. Do you guys want him? We'll pay you. Think about it, he even let you win the scudetto last year, the 1-1 goal during Milan-Juve was all thanks to him.

Seriously speaking, though, I think that every player grown in our youth sector is going to be pretty difficult to buy, mostly because of that rule in the CL lists. Abate-De Sciglio-Antonini are pretty much sealed with us right now. If there's a chance to buy an important player like El Shaarawy while selling a player that has grown up with us then the board will probably think about it, but it has to be a really amazing talent.
More quotes from Pirlo's book
So, the economic stuff wasn't actually true. It all came down to being able to play in his favourite position. I can't say I disagree with him, when Ancelotti invented that role for him he made us win everything, every single trophy. Then again, after ten years, it's time to change something, mostly because your opponents know quite well how you move and who's helping you on the sides, so it became pretty easy to stop us.
Allegri changed our midifield in a single year, Van Bommel was pretty important in the second half of that season and he doesn't even remotely play like Pirlo. So yeah, it was time to move on, even if one year later he won the Scudetto with Juventus. Also, and this is something people tend to forget: his last year with us was filled with injuries. He played some games in the first half, then he disappeared. And we won the Scudetto with a completely different midfield compared to the one that Ancelotti had. It was time to move on, for both Pirlo and Milan, simple as that.

Slizz

Semi-legitimate fear that fans will watch the games on TV rather than going to the matches if they're all on TV

Thats a large-legitimate fear for the NFL. Attendance figures are dropping all over because you can order a DirecTV package, see every game and every single scoring play from the convenience of your couch.

They are already taking (terrible)precautionary measures to combat it. This year they are introducing *stadium exclusive* locker room cameras for pre and post game.... :lol

So, tomorrow we'll probably play like this:
---------------Abbiati

--Abate-Mexes-Zapata-De Sciglio

---Ambrosini-Montolivo-Muntari

---Boateng-Pazzini-El Shaarawy

I'm ready to see us losing for the first time in 2013, I'm fucking ready. I even said that I won't play 5-a-side tomorrow, I want to enjoy Allegri's daidaidai tactics from the first minute.

yeah i am not happy about that lineup. it is going to be a real ugly game from us. i would much rather see prince in midfield and niang on the wing, and ambro on the bench. if we start like that our midfield will be unable to keep any possession, and we will resort to ugly long ball play like we've been doing. hopefully pazzini's diving works (because his hold-up play never will), unlike last game when the ref was having none of it.

i'm working tomorrow but i think i'll be able to catch the second half.

Allegri: "I still have to decide whether Boateng will play in the midfield or in the attack tomorrow vs. Juve."

allegri says this EVERY week, but always plays him at RW. c'mon son.

Peco

yeah i am not happy about that lineup. it is going to be a real ugly game from us. i would much rather see prince in midfield and niang on the wing, and ambro on the bench. if we start like that our midfield will be unable to keep any possession, and we will resort to ugly long ball play like we've been doing. hopefully pazzini's diving works (because his hold-up play never will), unlike last game when the ref was having none of it.

look at the bright side: robinho ain't gonna start the game.

acciuga's such a mediocre coach, i'd change him for inzaghi
or seedorf
at any moment.

i'm working tomorrow but i think i'll be able to catch the second half.

allegri says this EVERY week, but always plays him at RW. c'mon son.
I agree on Prince, not sure about Niang, he didn't seem the M'Baye we were used to see a couple of months ago.
look at the bright side: robinho ain't gonna start the game.

acciuga's such a mediocre coach, i'd change him for inzaghi
or seedorf
at any moment.
Montella pls.
Tassotti too.

Fady K

Hoping everyone here is having a great and peaceful day :) Playing through Broken Sword II - I missed this series nearly 2 decades ago, the first two games are beautiful :)

Not an immediate priority but I guess he will be a decent signing. Can fill multiple areas and adds depth to the squad so we don't have to use Benayoun any more.

Still need a central midfielder, a striker and possibly a centre-back. Hope we can spend less than 50 million this summer, though I doubt that.

I wonder how he'll do. He plays as an actual winger as well right? Would be happy with one of those. Good thing that he's young too. A central midfielder is an absolute must though!

I don't expect us to spend that much because we already brought a lot of young starters.

It's pretty much done, would be very surprising if something went wrong. Schürrle already agreed on a contract.

Schürrle agreed already? I have only read that his representatives at B.L. are discussing it. What is your opinion of the player?

Would be a really good signing for Chelsea, although I would hope that would be it for attacking players this summer. There are more urgent areas of that team that need strengthening.

If Schurrle signs, do you reckon that's it for Torres?

Exactly what I feel Chelsea need as well. Once an opponent tries to run through the defensive midfield they usually have an easy time. Plus, Lampard is 35 already.

I still think Torres will get another season at Chelsea at the very least. I also think he will be getting a decent amount of starts in all competitions, even if they got a player like Schurrle. Plus I expect CFC to use Shurrle as a winger more than a striker.

Fady K

Missed the below posts:

Stuff like school fees would be expensive if you had to pay them. I know housing is pretty expensive, so it's good they're taking care of that. My parents rent their house there out for a pretty stupid amount. I can't remember about food and that, but like most places I don't think it's too bad unless you're eating out a lot.

You probably best sending Fady a PM or making a thread in OT.

As Wes said I think the most important thing is making sure that lifestyle is for you.

Do you still ever visit Gareth?

Yea I was thinking abt making a thread but will decide on making it once I get ALL the minute details before that. Will be gng there next week. Hope it turns out to be a positive trip.

AD and Dubai are not as expensive as they were a couple of years ago. The economy has improved and the rent has gone down in Abu Dhabi at least. At Dubai they were down a couple of years ago and have begun to rise again recently. Let me know if you need any help bro!

spidye

Neuer - Rafinha, van Buyten, Dante, Alaba - Tymo, Gustavo - Müller, Pizarro, Ribéry - Gomez

tymo and gustavo midfield :|
would rather see can and gustavo.

dante van buyten defense means we're going to see boateng against barca

wait where's shaqiri? rested for barcelona????

Huddersfield winning 3-0 now. It's amazing how many clubs could still go down if results don't go their way.

Do you still ever visit Gareth?

Not often enough! I was hoping I might be stopping off there on my way on holiday this summer, but it's Qatar instead.

Lightning

Banned
Not a bad squad selection this time. Fulham are going down and welcomed Rosicky and Monreal back into the starting line up.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Salazar

Not a bad squad selection this time. Fulham are going down and welcomed Rosicky and Monreal back into the starting line up.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Arsenal have not beaten Fulham in the last 4 meetings, I think.

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn

pappe

AD and Dubai are not as expensive as they were a couple of years ago. The economy has improved and the rent has gone down in Abu Dhabi at least. At Dubai they were down a couple of years ago and have begun to rise again recently. Let me know if you need any help bro!

Yea I am aware of the economy being on the up in Dubai. Will be visiting Dubai next week and get complete details and yes i will definitely PM you and bug you. :p hope u dont mind.

Top Bottom