• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Arnie

But if you accept this view then you're basically saying he belongs in a mental institution until he sorts himself out.

I can't agree with your assessment anyway, because he clearly has friends at the club and everything seems to indicate he's a nice person off the pitch. "He can't help it" is a poor excuse for his behaviour in my opinion.

I don't think things are as cut and dry as:

a) You're a mentalist, you can't play football, get back in your cell.

and

b) You're mentally sound, you nibbling little cunt.

I'm not an expert on sociopathy, I'm sure someone here knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do, but I just think once he crosses the white line and enters into a competitive environment there's part of his brain that just doesn't quite function correctly.

Again, this isn't excusing his actions today. He should be fined, given a heavy suspension, and receive unanimous stick from anyone associated with the sport. I do feel slightly sorry for him, though.

Glad to see the club not defending it, too. Although I think that was a given.

Not any reference to you in particular, i just can't fathom how anyone would want this moron on their team. Surely the public opinion must be turning against him now?

And to your point about him being mentally unstable, well if that is the case then he has no place on the football field. It is only a matter of time before he does some real damage if that is the case.

He wins us games and points. Simple as that. Its easy to support a team without a character like that and think they'd rather not have him, but I can assure you that most people who think that would soon change their tune if it happened. If Shearer constantly acted like a cunt, I doubt you'd have wanted him sold.

He hates United too.

NR7zZtu.jpg
HHusxAF.jpg

ib2prFi25kEdBe.png

was for april 1... But... HE WORE IT

arkon

He wins us games and points. Simple as that. Its easy to support a team without a character like that and think they'd rather not have him, but I can assure you that most people who think that would soon change their tune if it happened. If Shearer constantly acted like a cunt, I doubt you'd have wanted him sold.

Think of the Man Utd fans

I don't think things are as cut and dry as:

a) You're a mentalist, you can't play football, get back in your cell.

and

b) You're mentally sound, you nibbling little cunt.

I'm not an expert on sociopathy, I'm sure someone here knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do, but I just think once he crosses the white line and enters into a competitive environment there's part of his brain that just doesn't quite function correctly.

Again, this isn't excusing his actions today. He should be fined, given a heavy suspension, and receive unanimous stick from anyone associated with the sport. I do feel slightly sorry for him, though.

Glad to see the club not defending it, too. Although I think that was a given.
Hmm, I do see the point you're making.

I can understand feeling sorry for him but I wouldn't go as far as saying I was sympathetic to him.

At the end of the day you can't behave the way he does and really he just has to take the full force of whatever comes his way (within reason obv.)

Feorax

This is true. His actions today were inexcuseable, but even at his worst he's consistently in the top 3 players on the pitch for us at any given time.

Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to make a moral decision that affects us in a footballing sense. Especially not one that involves us selling our best player.

choodi

Banned

Joey Barton used to win us games, Craig Bellamy used to win us games. Both complete cunts and the newcastle fans got sick and tired of defending the two of them.

No one lamented when either got sold. The more he gets away with it the worse he is going to become. How long until this behaviour transfers over to the training ground or the dressing room?

Arnie

Hmm, I do see the point you're making.

I can understand feeling sorry for him but I wouldn't go as far as saying I was sympathetic to him.

At the end of the day you can't behave the way he does and really he just has to take the full force of whatever comes his way (within reason obv.)

I agree.

To Choodi's point, I think it's a genuinely good question. What if he broke the skin today, what if there was a photograph showing some of Ivanovic's blood at the corner of his mouth? We'd be taking this discussion much more seriously, as we would about action taken. The lad needs fucking help as well as a lengthy ban.

Regarding your first point, Choodi, it's easy to love a player when he's scoring and working for the team as well as Suarez does. I've become disillusioned with him on various occasions, as I am now, but after each incident it's almost virtually impossible to remain irritated with him when he comes back into the team and causes so much joy.

I promise you, whatever you might think about him as an onlooker, if he was playing for Newcastle you'd spend 90% of the time adoring him.
Joey Barton used to win us games, Craig Bellamy used to win us games. Both complete cunts and the newcastle fans got sick and tired of defending the two of them.

No one lamented when either got sold. The more he gets away with it the worse he is going to become. How long until this behaviour transfers over to the training ground or the dressing room?

You can't compare them two players to Suarez.

Different level entirely.

This is true. His actions today were inexcuseable, but even at his worst he's consistently in the top 3 players on the pitch for us at any given time.

Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to make a moral decision that affects us in a footballing sense. Especially not one that involves us selling our best player.

Exactly. If he played for Man Utd, they'd sell him and be able to attract players who are sufficiently able to replace him. Us though? No chance. And that goes for everyone outside of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and possibly Spurs.

Tbh I don't see the argument that he needs to be sold. Not for biting someone.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a total wanker but I think you have to do worse than bite someone to basically not befit the club you play for, considering the kind of stuff players generally get up to, on and off the pitch.

Those players weren't the difference between 0 points and 3 every other weekend though. Their influence is not comparable imo.

Linius

I just lol at the people saying he should be banned for life doing stuff like biting people. Like giving someone a nasty elbow is any less than this. Or possibly career ending challenges. Suarez is just a nutjob, but the things he does aren't worse than other horrible fouls we've seen over the years.

pulga

Banned
I just lol at the people saying he should be banned for life doing stuff like biting people. Like giving someone a nasty elbow is any less than this. Or possibly career ending challenges. Suarez is just a nutjob, but the things he does aren't worse than other horrible fouls we've seen over the years.

But tackles are understandable, its part of the game. What does lunging at a player, teeth out have to do with anything?

SMD

Surely not even the Liverpool fans can defend Suarez now...surely?

Who's defending him? It's just seeing so many brainless morons talking about how he's disgraced football and needs to leave the country RIGHT NOW. He's gonna get a ban and he'll get fined and that should be the end of it.

Linius

But tackles are understandable, its part of the game. What does lunging at a player, teeth out have to do with anything?

Planting your elbow in someones face (intentionally) isn't part of the game iirc. Or two legs forwards tackling someone from behind (not aiming for the ball) for that matter.

Some horrible challeges just happen in the heath of the game and you can see the player had the intention to get the ball and then it's easy to forgive. But just as often that's just not the case.

SMD

About as much as Shearer booting Lennon in the face, the countless elbows and punches over the years not to mention players who actually go to jail yet carry on playing football once they're out.

Top Bottom