• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ibxDt8egmq7Z5z.gif

YES! Thanks!
3AQmK.gif

qindarka

Banned
AVB had a lot of his squad against him.

I suppose you can say Rafa did well for that not to happen.

But his squad is much better than Arsenal and Tottenhams so he should have clinched CL football more easily IMO.

He did well in the Europa, but again his squad is the best there. Alright in the FA Cup. CC was poor. Won't count that nonsense in Japan.

Extremely well would be for him to achieve above and beyond. Not sure he's done that.

Best sum up of the situation. Benitez made a big hash of CL qualification considering how many times Chelsea could have pulled away from the chasing pack. Draw against Reading springs to mind. Europa performance hasn't been great either, all the teams we faced were easily inferior, I will give him credit if he beats Benfica though.

I would complain more that Chelsea play like shit but to be fair, Chelsea have played like shit for 3 seasons now.

Wilbur

Banned
Just don't understand how someone of Ferguson's ability and experience, having been bested by Barcelona in two finals, beaten by Madrid when Modric came on, and seen Bayern and Dortmund advance to the final, can't see how important a midfield is at the top level. It's fine against the rest of the league but against Chelsea and City we've been absolutely overrun. We need to switch to a more modern style of play, utilise the quick transitional skill of Kagawa, use wingers that can both stretch a defence and take it inside, and someone combative in the centre.

No use having a player like RVP when you give him shit service and no creative outlet behind him.

It's so cliched and far too much is made of formations in modern football, but it's all about team selection. And when Fergie selects a team like the one he did today, it just doesn't cut it. We need to fit players into roles of a 4-2-3-1, like Chelsea or Bayern or Dortmund. No reason why Carrick should be doing the defensive work alone when you could have someone like Strootman beside him. No reason why when we play a loan front man Kagawa isn't automatic first choice, especially when our game plan is to counter. No reason why we can't take a cheeky punt for Bale when he'd bring an entirely new dimension to our wing play.

Valencia is resting entirely on his laurels at the moment and it's a disgusting attitude.

Clegg

Wilbz the sad thing about Valencia is that he isn't resting on his laurels.

He's still trying hard but he's been absolute rubbish anyway.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbz the sad thing about Valencia is that he isn't resting on his laurels.

He's still trying hard but he's been absolute rubbish anyway.

Trying hard for me would be putting all his effort into one fantastic cross knowing full well that up to then they've all been shit.

He isn't trying hard enough. If he was he'd be showing his quality.

Clegg

Can't wait for Fabio to come back next season so Evra can either start playing better or sit on the bench.
I don't think that'll happen tbh.

Valencia has been rubbish all season yet he's still starting. Fergie seems to have players who he'll pick no matter what kind of form they're in. And he'll then drop players when are in good form for no good reason.

GorillaJu

AVB had a lot of his squad against him.

I suppose you can say Rafa did well for that not to happen.

But his squad is much better than Arsenal and Tottenhams so he should have clinched CL football more easily IMO.

He did well in the Europa, but again his squad is the best there. Alright in the FA Cup. CC was poor. Won't count that nonsense in Japan.

Extremely well would be for him to achieve above and beyond. Not sure he's done that.

One can only play with the hand he's dealt, and while Chelsea's squad is better than Arsenal's, it's not much better than Tottenham's.

Strikers - a wash, this one. Ade is useless but Defoe has scored some really important goals, Torres a few more than he's given credit for and Ba hasn't had a really large impact - certainly not the type you'd hope for with a new striker brought in mid-season.

Midfield - Again, not sure you can call it either way. Bale is brilliant, which gives a huge advantage to Spurs, while Dempsey, Sigs and Holtby haven't lit the world on fire, they've been decent. The same could be said of Ramires, Lampard and Moses. Marin has been non-existent. Having both Mata and Hazard would naturally make Chelsea the leaders here, but, Bale. Lennon's also been really important for Tottenham, and Dembele and Huddlestone as well have been used to good effect.

Defense and goalkeepers - Chelsea has a very respectable defense without any earth-shattering talent. John Terry used to be that, but he's now just "very good." Both teams have a large contribution of goals from their defenders. However I'm calling advantage Chelsea here because of Cech, who is in my opinion the best goalkeeper in the PL for several years running, and an overall leg-up in talent with Ivanovic and Ashley Cole.

Anyway, the point is that Chelsea don't really have a team that should be waltzing into CL qualification.

They're definitely, absolutely a better squad than Arsenal, but then you have Wenger, which changes things completely.

Lunchbox

Banned
not fussed about the loss

sad the fat bastard will get the champions league spot instead of spurs......or maybe that's a good thing as bale will listen to the child inside him and come here for champions league football

Wilbur

Banned
We just can't go into next season with the same outdated style of play, because we'll fail in Europe again and we'll be underwhelming against our main opposition again.

Pass it out wide to wingers and hope for a good cross just doesn't work against the best. Putting out a completely second string midfield apart from the undroppable cunt Valencia doesn't either.

And it fucking hurts my brain that we're all capable of seeing where we need to buy, how we should be playing, who needs to be dropped and Fergie can't. And we all say 'he knows best' and far be it from me to be angry with him considering what he's done for us. I'm just confused as to why he can't see it.

One can only play with the hand he's dealt, and while Chelsea's squad is better than Arsenal's, it's not much better than Tottenham's.

Strikers - a wash, this one. Ade is useless but Defoe has scored some really important goals, Torres a few more than he's given credit for and Ba hasn't had a really large impact - certainly not the type you'd hope for with a new striker brought in mid-season.

Midfield - Again, not sure you can call it either way. Bale is brilliant, which gives a huge advantage to Spurs, while Dempsey, Sigs and Holtby haven't lit the world on fire, they've been decent. The same could be said of Ramires, Lampard and Moses. Marin has been non-existent. Having both Mata and Hazard would naturally make Chelsea the leaders here, but, Bale. Lennon's also been really important for Tottenham, and Dembele and Huddlestone as well have been used to good effect.

Defense and goalkeepers - Chelsea has a very respectable defense without any earth-shattering talent. John Terry used to be that, but he's now just "very good." Both teams have a large contribution of goals from their defenders. However I'm calling advantage Chelsea here because of Cech, who is in my opinion the best goalkeeper in the PL for several years running, and an overall leg-up in talent with Ivanovic and Ashley Cole.

Anyway, the point is that Chelsea don't really have a team that should be waltzing into CL qualification.

They're definitely, absolutely a better squad than Arsenal, but then you have Wenger, which changes things completely.
I think their squad is clearly better than Tottenhams, especially in terms of depth.

Different opinions and all that but I feel Chelsea have a lot more quality in defence and attack. Midfield is probably even enough, Spurs arguably edge it but they lost Sandro, unfortunately for them.

GorillaJu

I think their squad is clearly better than Tottenhams, especially in terms of depth.

Different opinions and all that but I feel Chelsea have a lot more quality in defence and attack. Midfield is probably even enough, Spurs arguably edge it but they lost Sandro, unfortunately for them.

I just don't see it the same way. I think the difference in quality between their squad and Tottenham's is a good reflection of their positions in the table. Chelsea's squad is slightly better, but not overwhelmingly so.

On paper, they have a brilliant squad. Mata, Cech and Hazard are the only ones who've performed particularly well in the league though this season imo

Wilbur

Banned
On the subject of Benitez, I think he's done a good job. The squad easily could have gone against him considering what's happened with AVB and with things Rafa has said in the past, the fans certainly were against him, and he's got them to third place and a European final.

He hasn't done amazing, and he's probably done what was expected of him. But he hasn't done any less than that, so he's done a good job.

qindarka

Banned
On paper, they have a brilliant squad. Mata, Cech and Hazard are the only ones who've performed particularly well in the league though this season imo

Won't say we have a brilliant squad. We have brilliant players with a potentially brilliant squad if we shore up some key areas, mainly being up front and in the centre of midfield.

We just can't go into next season with the same outdated style of play, because we'll fail in Europe again and we'll be underwhelming against our main opposition again.

Pass it out wide to wingers and hope for a good cross just doesn't work against the best. Putting out a completely second string midfield apart from the undroppable cunt Valencia doesn't either.

And it fucking hurts my brain that we're all capable of seeing where we need to buy, how we should be playing, who needs to be dropped and Fergie can't. And we all say 'he knows best' and far be it from me to be angry with him considering what he's done for us. I'm just confused as to why he can't see it.
how did you get so angry when you didn't even watch the game

Calm down

Write down a list or something

TrueBlue

I think Azpilicueta has had a good debut season, all things considered.

As for Rafa, don't have that much against him. I think it'll just be best for him and everyone involved if he moves on at season's end. If he gets us CL qualification and the EL in the process, fair play to him.

On the subject of Benitez, I think he's done a good job. The squad easily could have gone against him considering what's happened with AVB and with things Rafa has said in the past, the fans certainly were against him, and he's got them to third place and a European final.

He hasn't done amazing, and he's probably done what was expected of him. But he hasn't done any less than that, so he's done a good job.

Pretty much correct imo.

If he'd done less than an acceptable job, he'd have been thrown out in a wave of negativity and hilarious outbursts from staff and fans alike. Its Chelsea under Abramovich, if he hadn't been good enough I doubt he'd have lasted even this long.

One thing he's done brilliantly is just calming everything down.

Wilbur

Banned
how did you get so angry when you didn't even watch the game

Calm down

Write down a list or something

Watched the second half. Making a list now of ways I can kill Tony without the police copping on.

1) tell them that physical form is equivalent to presence on a field = assumption that he has indeed expired as an entity

GorillaJu

With all due respect, I think this is an odd thing to say. I guarantee you that he sees it, his team of coaches see it, and the players see it as well. The lack of understanding is purely on the fans' side of the table.

It's Kagawa's first season with United. You can't build a team around one player who is new to the league (and whose name isn't Messi) and expect to win a title, which United expect to do every year.

United is changing their play to be more like Borussia Dortmund. You can see this from the players they've been buying (also the fact that they're all coming from Borussia Dortmund :lol) and gradually you'll see the increased tempo, the higher pressing, the packed midfield, but the expectation for the team to win right now is huge. United doesn't have "transitional seasons." They're in the title challenge year-in, year-out.

FootballFan

No surprise that Uefalona fans would be more ok with shady stuff getting a pass.

Yeah because there was nothing shady about how Madrid signed Di Stefano, the man that won them 5 CLs in the black and white days. Don't see you complaining.

But we'll let that pass. :p

Gonna play Football manager and buy Bale and Gundogan/Strootman. The shitty anger has to be washed away.
My current file is so dreamy.

Made Yurt's dream come true and sent RVP to Juve and signed RUMBOOOOOO. He's freaking NUTS scores everything.

With all due respect, I think this is an odd thing to say. I guarantee you that he sees it, his team of coaches see it, and the players see it as well. The lack of understanding is purely on the fans' side of the table.

It's Kagawa's first season with United. You can't build a team around one player who is new to the league (and whose name isn't Messi) and expect to win a title, which United expect to do every year.

United is changing their play to be more like Borussia Dortmund. You can see this from the players they've been buying (also the fact that they're all coming from Borussia Dortmund :lol) and gradually you'll see the increased tempo, the higher pressing, the packed midfield, but the expectation for the team to win right now is huge. United doesn't have "transitional seasons." They're in the title challenge year-in, year-out.
Yep.

United fans demand way too much. The reason Fergie probably isn't too worried is cos he just won the title by about 15 points.

Obv. Fergie has his faults and makes mistakes, but everything at the club is done with the long term in mind. It was silly of us to expect Kagawa to be given priority right away - you have to be incredibly good and consistent to get that at United, like RVP.

It will be interesting to see what we do this summer. All the young players should be better next season too.

Wilbur

Banned

It's not even necessarily to do with Kagawa starting all the time (plus we've only signed one player from Borussia Dortmund, and if we signed another striker it wouldn't necessarily change things in that aspect anyway; RVP and Lewa are pretty similar). If he can see it, then I don't understand why he comes out with bollocks about not necessarily strengthening midfield, why Evra and Valencia get free passes to do fuck all every single week.

He needs to sign a good strong midfielder to play alongside Carrick. Maybe Zaha will be the winger that provides something different, but it seems risky going into the season with two extremely limited wingers in Young and Valencia, one incredibly unreliable one in Nani, and an untested one in Zaha. If he can see it, then I don't understand why our game has no element of surprise to it, why I can't see even the first signs of team pressing and even a fucking two man midfield as opposed to the non-existent one that's turned up at times this season.

It's absolutely disgustingly ungrateful for me to question Fergie but when we play like we did today, I just wonder why we're putting on performances like that outside of the excuse that we're mentally switched off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom