• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I feel fucking empty. I got a text telling me he's gone. Woke up, can't get back to sleep. Exam in four hours, can't think straight.

This is the fucking effect this stupid fucking sport has on me.

I genuinely feel sick. Can't believe it. My hero... god I love him so much.

Arnie

Broke up old firm and had won in Europe.

Different time and all that, though.
To be fair Moyes has broken up the power balance in Merseyside with the might of Anichebe's pecks.

Different times call for desperate measures.

If my prophecy does go bust then at least I get to revel in Chelsea fan's disappointment at their little reunion getting kaiboshed.

Tc91

Steve Bates ‏@sbates_people 9m
David Gill recently sd in briefing at #SGP "main criteria for next #mufc manager must be #UCL experience" - where does that leave Moyes?

I just can't see it being Moyes who takes over, it has to be Jose.

Peace out, Ferguson. I will always remember the epic United-Juve duels fondly. Except for that one night in 1999 that was the worst of my footballing life. You cunt.

One love.

Brinbe

Gotta think the Mourinho "being available" bit played a part in this, right? Especially to block a move to Chelsea. Everything just lines up in that regard. Maybe Fergie figured Mou would last a bit longer at Madrid and made the move now to help expedite that along.

I just don't think Moyes is the move to inspire confidence in replacing a manager of Ferguson's stature.

Otherwise, yeah, Klopp would be the other ideal option.

Fady K

“It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long term future of the club remains a bright one.

“Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

“I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

“As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

“In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

“Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

“To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.”

T_T T_T T_T_T

pappe

I can't imagine what this must feel like to true United fans who have been supporting the club for over a decade now.

I'm not used to having a manager over a season, can't imagine losing one after over a quarter of a century. My goodness.

I feel lost, tense and absolutely distraught. I mean He was United!!

Guess having Mou would lighten the dark mood, but if someone like Phelan or Moyes is signed. OMG! I might end up hurting myself.

Wes

venison crêpe
SSN have a new bigger and thicker breaking news ticker for this.

Lol

The graphics department have been waiting for this moment for years. They probably had a dusty button that had never been pressed. Had to turn two keys simultaneously to unleash it.

Fady K

I feel lost, tense and absolutely distraught. I mean He was United!!

Guess having Mou would lighten the dark mood, but if someone like Phelan or Moyes is signed. OMG! I might end up hurting myself.

Sorry for your loss bro, genuinely. The good news is he'll continue to be a part of MUFC's board and directors.

Mourinho is the most likely IMO.

Now I wonder who on Earth will Chelsea tie the knot with?

Wilbur

Banned
Actual tears... What a legend.

Just me?

Nope. A few have been shed. Not loud animalistic sobbing but they've silently rolled down my face. I just feel gutted. My heart's sunk more than it did when Aguero scored, or the Barca losses. I just feel awful.

We're losing the greatest manager of all time. Where the fuck do we go from here?

DBT85

Wait wait wait

Rooney supposedly told his team mates he wants to go to bayern?
Is this true???

How would we know if it is true? The press will do anything to sell papers and get views.

If it is Moyes coming in then maybe he will go, it depends if they sorted their differences out. If its Mourinho then I doubt he go.

xintin

I remember the day Madrid went out of the CL there were reports that Mourinho wanted his future sorted out "within the next 10 days"

:(

Peace out, Ferguson. I will always remember the epic United-Juve duels fondly. Except for that one night in 1999 that was the worst of my footballing life. You cunt.

One love.

Man U vs Juve. One of the best matches I've seen for Man U in Europe, 1999 and 2003 when Gary chipped Buffon. Thank you Fergie.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'll be really shocked if it's not Jose, he's played a perfect Jose game, telling everyone he's available and that he's loved in England, making everyone think he's going to Chelsea (probably including Roman) then wh000p off to Man U.

Also unlike most managers who would be scared of the Ferguson legacy you can imagine him totally relishing it.

Fady K

The only thing I'd be honored about is SAF's final Old Trafford game is a defeat in the hands of Chelsea. Other than that this is quite sad :[

Nope. A few have been shed. Not loud animalistic sobbing but they've silently rolled down my face. I just feel gutted. My heart's sunk more than it did when Aguero scored, or the Barca losses. I just feel awful.

We're losing the greatest manager of all time. Where the fuck do we go from here?

Mourinho, when on good terms with his club, can be the next best thing. With Pep out of the equation, and Moyes not having CL football experience, where else will MUFC go? Maybe Klopp. He would be incredible.

Arnie

I have it on good authority (Turok_TTZ) that The Script's 'the man who can't be moved' was written about Fergie, which now makes that whole song defunct.

Fuck, this is a sad day.

That's the other thing, of all the managers out there, Mou is probably the only one that could deal with the pressure of the job and following such an enormous legacy.

This is just surreal. Fergie has been manager of United for longer than I've been alive.

It's ridiculous to say, but it feels so sudden. I know he's been on the edge of retirement, and always talks about putting together a balanced, future-proofed young squad (which he's done, arguably, with the likes of De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Shinji, et al.), but I didn't see it happening quite yet. Was it winning the league from City? The hip surgery? The new CEO? Lining up Mourinho given his imminent departure from Madrid? All of the above? Whatever the case, it's the end of an era. United will never be the same.

GorillaJu

A legend steps down. I despise him as a rival manager, but he's a great man and one of the most important figures in football history. He will be missed.

FootballFan

It's time for Rodgers to take Liverpool to the next level now. Sign Messi and Cr7, do it #Based(liverpool owners who I don't know the name of)

Mourinho, when on good terms with his club, can be the next best thing. With Pep out of the equation, and Moyes not having CL football experience, where else will MUFC go? Maybe Klopp. He would be incredible.

Mou can bring, relatively, short term success while we prepare for a long term manager. But you don't prepare for that. I'd personally take Mou (If it's only between him and Moyes) but Europe has many great top managers that can handle the pressure but I don't know about them wanting to take it on just much as Mou.

Arnie

That's the other thing, of all the managers out there, Mou is probably the only one that could deal with the pressure of the job and following such an enormous legacy.
He's also the only one who could burn the club to the ground in three years.

Hodgson would too if he could light a fucking match.

Jburton

Banned
I can't imagine what this must feel like to true United fans who have been supporting the club for over a decade now.

I'm not used to having a manager over a season, can't imagine losing one after over a quarter of a century. My goodness.

I started really having an interest in football when I turned around 6 or 7 and my dad has been a United supporter since around the same age, he loved Georgie Best (a local boy) and United.

So I am now 33 and Sir Alex has been the United manager for as long as I have followed football and supported United, it's the end of an era for Man U and and the end of an era for me as well.

Wes

venison crêpe
Mourinho to Manchester United
Pellegrini to Manchester City
Moyes to Chelsea
Benitez to PSG
Ancelotti to Real Madrid
Blanc to Everton
Mancini to Monaco

Wilbur

Banned
This is just the fucking worst. Don't even feel like going in for this cunting exam, and then work all fucking night making burgers for fucking twats who really should fucking stop eating out. Have dinner at home you fucking cunts

Fuck this is the worst I've ever felt with regards to football.

Empty

you can piece together the evidence looking back and the timing makes perfect sense. he'd overtaken liverpool's league and beaten off city, he'd left a good young team as legacy, and while there were those reports that chelsea's win made him think he could win a third champions league, i imagine the real madrid match was a stark reminder of the unpredictability of cup competitions.

yet i still thought at the core he'd go on for another decade. i haven't even been considering it. it's devastating.

it's a cliche in football that whenever a manager does something they don't like they'll say 'fergie would never have done/tolerated this', yet that marks him out as this stuck in the mud figure when i think his greatest strength is his adaptability. he's constantly been willing to evolve to deal with new challenges over the last 26 years as the shape of football and the rivals changed considerably and make the most pragmatic decisions, as well as maintain that core determination to win as others gain and lose it in the middle of his career. he's been managing here for 26 years yet he's won 5 of the last 7 titles (two points away from seven on the trot) and his best team was just five years ago.

he's the only manager i've ever known. literally my entire life there's been one manager. it's been such a privilege, last 20+ years never worrying about him getting sacked (i wasn't alive during his initial struggles), never dealing with the instability of a manager struggling, never dealing with how to treat a new manager you don't know to love yet, never with how to deal when it doesn't work out, never having to feel supportive of a new one but nostalgic for a predecessor. just knowing that he's there and has it under control.

anyway thank you sir alex and best wishes in your new stage of life. people will argue whether you're the best ever now but it doesn't really matter, what you've given the football club and its fans is unforgettable and incredible.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well Dembele won't be playing tonight, he's Instagrammed a picture of himself in Amsterdam recovering.

Tc91

This is just the fucking worst. Don't even feel like going in for this cunting exam, and then work all fucking night making burgers for fucking twats who really should fucking stop eating out. Have dinner at home you fucking cunts

:LOL

It was announced on the end of Lorraine Kelly's TV show. That's just how monumental it is, that not just football is at a standstill.

:LOL

Fucking Lorraine Kelly. fuck sake Fergie :(

Arnie

I had an exam on the day Torres left and Carroll arrived.

Arguably that's worse.

Arguably I'm being facetious.

It almost seems as if you expected him to manage the team forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom