• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goal.com -

Sir Alex Ferguson broke down in tears during an emotional goodbye to Manchester United staff this morning following the announcement of his decision to retire.

The Scot will step down as United manager at the end of the season following 26 years at Old Trafford during which he won 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League titles.

Ferguson arrived at the club’s Carrington training base at 6.50am this morning and made a series of phonecalls amid intense speculation that he was set to quit.

Once the entire first-team squad had arrived for training, Ferguson held an eight-minute meeting with the players and senior staff during which he informed them of his decision.

Sources say the players were "quiet and shocked" as they left the meeting, with some clearly emotional. Ferguson was the last man out of the room and was seen supportively patting assistant manager Mike Phelan on the back.

At 9.20am, around the same time that United made an official announcement on their website, Ferguson went to the main dining hall at Carrington to address the entire staff, from the tea ladies to the coaches.

The atmosphere was described as "pensive" and "sombre". By then, everyone knew what was going on.

Goal understands that, during a speech that lasted between eight and 10 minutes, Ferguson choked up and became tearful as he thanked them for their efforts over the years and spoke of the wonderful support within the "United family".

Ferguson became particularly emotional as he revealed that some people present - particularly technical staff - may lose their jobs as a consequence of his retirement.

After he finished talking, Ferguson received a standing ovation as he shuffled out of the room, still clearly emotional as he brings an end to an extraordinary career at United since he took over from Ron Atkinson in November 1986.

He was scheduled to hold a one-on-one sit-down interview with the club’s in-house television station, MUTV, at 10.30am and it was unclear whether he still intends to join the United players at Chester races later today.
Beautiful :'(

GorillaJu

In more important news of the day, I went and took a shit in our parlament buildings today, went out and our Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Economic and Interior Affairs walked in right after me, I smiled politely to her, she had no idea what horrors she was about to experience, a real assault on her nose

Oh come now, there are less obvious ways to beg for an avatar quote.

PowderedToast

I reckon Martinez, and he'd be a great appointment too.

The issue will be keeping hold of Baines and Fellaini. Everton have done extremely well this season, the last thing you want is to do what Newcastle have done and end up in the bottom half of the table, needing to start all over again.

yep, first name that came to mind for me. plus if wigan get relegated then surely he has to move on no matter what.

Antti

Yes, because quoting odds has always been an indestructible form of prophecy in this thread.

That's a rather arrogant thing to say. The difference between me and whoever else (most) has been doing it is that I understand them and the business behind them.

Moyes is the insurmountable favorite, and it would take cold feet from him to not get the spot.

tumblr_m64pudJunv1r0p60j.gif

Goodnight sweet prince

faridmon

I reckon Martinez, and he'd be a great appointment too.

The issue will be keeping hold of Baines and Fellaini. Everton have done extremely well this season, the last thing you want is to do what Newcastle have done and end up in the bottom half of the table, needing to start all over again.

Whoever overtakes Everton, we will have few seasons of mediocrity. I know many players will leave, but to be fair, I want a change. I am not content being an almost club with no backbones to beat top 7 at hiome.

Its a Catch 22.

He's never won a title because he's never been at a club capable of doing so. So do you give good managers a chance to make that jump or use it as a stick to beat them with.

"0 brilliance about the guy". "2 bit manager". Unbelievable. This thread is really weeding out the FootyGAF chaff at the minute.

10 years.

You don't think in 10 years he could've won a cup? Or moved to a much bigger club?

Don't tell me, he was waiting for the Man Utd spot, the lil Everton manager.

Gawge

Maybe Man Utd will appoint Moyes, and Chelsea fans will breathe a sigh of relief... only for Man City to snap Mourinho up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
New Manager cant win in the short term, if he comes and wins the title its Alex team/legacy, if he does badly he comes under more scrutiny than any manager has ever come under. Also listening to this financial expert on Sky im actually leaning to the idea an announcement could be made today given Uniteds responsibilities as a listed company.

PowderedToast

Anyone else think Benitez to City?

At least he'd get out of the group stages...

could be.

if the rumours about rodgers were true then it indicates that city aren't interested in being sugar daddy for too long. they want to build, and benitez can handle both youth and europe

madmackem

10 years.

You don't think in 10 years he could've won a cup? Or moved to a much bigger club?

Don't tell me, he was waiting for the Man Utd spot, the lil Everton manager.

Erm arsenal aint won shit for nearly as long, why move to a bigger club when hes been getting in the top 8 for ages?. Not many top jobs have come up in that time.

I wonder if Moyes gets the same 4 years it took Fergie to win anything? The game has changed a lot since those days.

United were a mid-table team when Fergie took over, so it was natural that he would get time to make the changes. The manager who takes over will be coming into a complete setup of a winning side with an amazing coaching setup, scouting network and top level squad. If the manager that comes in doesn't at least challenge for the title next season there will be lots of talk by around March.

Wes

venison crêpe
@MiguelDelaney 2m
Story should be up soon but several sources - from few sides - saying no change in Mourinho's plans to take over at Chelsea this summer.

@pkelso 4m
Borussia Dortmund say Jurgen Klopp will not be succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at #MUFC. "He has always said he will stay until 2016" #bvb

Antti

:lol please explain how these mystical odds appear out of the sky.

I'm not here to breed or endorse hate, so I'll just rather point out that looking at odds is a significantly more educated guess than pure speculation about this and that (for example Mou sticking his tongue up Man Utd's butt after the UCL games). I'm sorry if I offended anybody. :)

Tc91

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
David Moyes has left Finch Farm after taking Everton training. Unusually early for him.

Ste ‏@stespeed 28s
“@TonyBarretTimes: David Moyes has left Finch Farm after taking Everton training. Unusually early for him.” Might just have the shits????

:lolol

Tc91

SHATNER YOU CAN'T DO THAT.

--

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy 36s
#MUFC hope to appoint David Moyes by the end of the week. No Friday press conference with Fergie this week

Sam Wallace going with Moyes.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 52s
Big, big news RT @TimesSport: #Moyes to be named as new United manager in nxt 24hrs, from @DuckerTheTimes

Welp, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom