• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Best of luck Sir Alex! -- Juve (official website)

This part is true :(
There have been many memorable clashes between Juventus and Manchester United over the years and it will be extremely strange not to see him on the touchline directing his troops when the two sides next meet. Thank you for the fond memories Sir Alex, it’s been an honour to share the pitch with you.

All associated with Juventus Football Club wish Sir Alex Ferguson the best of luck in the future.

-

He was no Alberto Zaccheroni, that's for sure.

I still can't believe I survived that era.

bsi_fbm27.gif

Holy shit, that is awesome. Might need to get me one of those...

People often forget that Fergie broke the Old Firm duopoly in Scotland and beat Barcelona to a European trophy with Aberdeen. Before he set foot in Old Trafford, he was an excellent man-manager, with an eye for talent, winning experience on the top stage, and an unerring ruthless streak. Sure, Moyes has punched above his weight with Everton, but you could have said the same about Sven-Goran Eriksson back in 2003. It's possible he could step up well, however I will have concerns if he's appointed.

Clegg

United's financial position isn't that bad anymore.

We have three new sponsorships coming in that will generate an additional £100m in revenue every year.

Wes

venison crêpe
@jonbirchall
William Hill taken 12 bets on Rafa (100/1), 2 on Steve Kean (100/1), 1 on Mancini (100/1) & 1 on Dalglish (250/1)

Wes

venison crêpe
Doesn't Moyes play quite a rigid 4-4-1-1?

I can't remember him consistently picking a team that didn't consist of two banks of four.

I was just looking through Man United's latest financial filing. Makes for grim reading.

The company made an operating profit of £15m in the latest quarter, then paid out £18m in interest. Over the past 9 months the club has paid £40m in interest.

The worst part is that only £3m worth of the loan capital was paid down over the past three months.

The Glazers need to sell more shares, around £200m worth and use the whole lot to reduce the loan capital or the club will be in big trouble soon. Without Fergie there to attract the top talent and win titles and bring in the big sponsorship bucks the whole train could derail quite fast. The Glazers are dependent on Fergie, and right now would be a good time for the company to issue more shares and bring in more money to pay their loans down a bit.

Spending £18m per quarter on interest payments is absolutely insane and any other club would go bankrupt, and without Fergie, United are just another club, albeit a big one with a good reputation.
that interest bill will be refinanced very soon and the 3rd quarter is a low point. 4th quarter will see big profits.

And as Clegg said £100m+ in new revenue coming soon

United's financial position isn't that bad anymore.

We have three new sponsorships coming in that will generate an additional £100m in revenue every year.

All of that money is being spent on interest. At the moment, the club is not profitable. The only reason they were able to show a net profit this quarter was a tax credit. Otherwise it would have been a £3m loss for the quarter.

The finances are not looking good for a post Fergie club because their on pitch performance might not warrant renewals of big sponsorship deals and commercial revenue could drain away pretty fast, not just that but TV money could also drain away if Moyes doesn't get the club into the Champions League knock out stages every season, and that would have a knock on effect on matchday revenue since they would play fewer home games per season.

The easiest fix would be for the company to sell some shares and pay down the loan capital to reduce the interest outgoings, because that is what will kill the club.

Feorax

I'm struggling a bit. I can't envision a world where United aren't at least top 4 every season, but I also can't see a world where Moyes is in the CL every year.

This shit will break the matrix.

D_prOdigy

Fairly happy to see Moyes have a crack. I hope he gets time. I'm worried that sections of United fans may embarrass themselves over him if he doesn't produce instant success.

Everton were also chasing Strootman a few weeks ago though, weren't they? Get in.

All of that money is being spent on interest. At the moment, the club is not profitable. The only reason they were able to show a net profit this quarter was a tax credit. Otherwise it would have been a £3m loss for the quarter.

The finances are not looking good for a post Fergie club because their on pitch performance might not warrant renewals of big sponsorship deals and commercial revenue could drain away pretty fast, not just that but TV money could also drain away if Moyes doesn't get the club into the Champions League knock out stages every season, and that would have a knock on effect on matchday revenue since they would play fewer home games per season.

The easiest fix would be for the company to sell some shares and pay down the loan capital to reduce the interest outgoings, because that is what will kill the club.
eh.

I know from reading elsewhere on here you know a lot about finance but this is wrong. Check out Swissrambles latest post.

Theres ready £100m new revenue which is guaranteed. As in, deals are signed

Meier

http://i.imgur.com/t2aJcDt.png[IMG]

just placed this bet for moyes. fuck me if he's not the next man utd boss[/QUOTE]

Risking $1,000 to win $136 is a crazy proposition to me.

[quote="Nyx, post: 57152218"]Hehe saw it last week, shame about the FM logo in the neck, otherwise I definitely would wear it.[/QUOTE]

I need this! Where is it from?

GQman2121

Banned
The shadow of SAF will loom over the club and whomever takes on the job for years to come. This is certainly going to change things for the club, fans and players immediate future.

If it is Moyes, he will do well there, I have no doubt about that. But it will obviously take time.

What are the bookmakers saying about Rooney? Are he and Moyes on good terms?

Chelsea had a good record against United even pre-Abramovich. In particular, we once beat them 5-0 at Stamford Bridge just months after they won the treble.

Thats quite the achievement. They should put that in a trophy cabinet.

City should do the same. Make a golden Dzeko statue holding six fingers up.

Meier

Was it for England only?

Nope, just checked wiki. No one has ever scored more than a hat trick in the European Championship. Looks like it was from 1976 actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_European_Championship_records#Individual_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship#Hat-tricks

1 Dieter Müller Euro 1976
2 Klaus Allofs Euro 1980
3 Michel Platini Euro 1984
4 Michel Platini Euro 1984
5 Marco van Basten Euro 1988
6 Sérgio Conceição Euro 2000
7 Patrick Kluivert Euro 2000
8 David Villa Euro 2008

Here are the 8 total. Quite surprising.

eh.

I know from reading elsewhere on here you know a lot about finance but this is wrong. Check out Swissrambles latest post.

Theres ready £100m new revenue which is guaranteed. As in, deals are signed

Yeah, it's clear that the board have been preparing for the departure of Fergie for a while because they just inked a bunch of high yield sponsorship deals. However, without Fergie renewing those deals will be tough if the on pitch performance doesn't warrant that kind of yield.

That's all I'm saying, maintaining the high revenue levels that the club have now will be tough if Moyes can't achieve the same level off success as Fergie and with such a large debt interest bill the wheels could fall off fairly easily. Floating £200m worth of shares in London or Hong Kong in a secondary listing and reducing that loan capital would make a lot of sense. It would also loosen the grip of the Glazers on the club, which is probably a good thing.

qindarka

Banned
For goodness sake, I didn't bring that match up to insult United or anything. Just thought it was worth pointing out that Chelsea were a pretty decent side in the years before Abramovich. Sometimes people make it sound like they were relegation candidates or something before the takeover.

For goodness sake, I didn't bring that match up to insult United or anything. Just thought it was worth pointing out that Chelsea were a pretty decent side in the years before Abramovich. Sometimes people make it sound like they were relegation candidates or something before the takeover.

I was just kidding, Chelsea always were tough for ManU, with or without Mourinho/Roman.

Only was serious about the City part.

Fergie

Banned
I'm joking bro.
Sheeeeeeit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom