• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
What do United fans want out of next season with Moyes in charge?

Would top 4 just be enough? Top 4 and a trophy? Or will you demand League and European success even with Moyes at the helm.

Tc91

Would top 4 just be enough? Top 4 and a trophy? Or will you demand League and European success even with Moyes at the helm.

Got to be the league and maybe the FA cup we haven't won that in a while.

Meier

Cheers, sending this to my fiancee to buy me as a belated birthday present. Has anyone bought a shirt from there? Do they run small?

Doesn't 1.36 mean he'll get 360$? Still crazy and almost everytime someone posts an insane bet like this it doesn't end well.

Ahh, good call. Either way, still a crazy bet even if it seems pretty clearly to be a winning one!

I think United will be fine. They have the infrastructure for continued success in place. Loads of top players, shitloads of money (made sure to sign all those big sponsorship deals during the season -- surprised they didn't finalize the next kit deal though), a history of success. Moyes is a good coach.. he has made plenty of shrewd buys with his limited funds. I doubt they'll win the title again next season but I wouldn't have expected that with Fergie back either. They'll continue to be a top, top team though.

D_prOdigy

His first season? Wouldn't be demanding any trophies. Just so long as we stay in the top four and not be obviously distant from the top spot.

Meteorain

Best they can hope for:

carling-cup.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

I would very much like to contend for the title, and I think with the current team + potential strengthening we should probably expect no less than that. Above group stage in champions league would also be an expectation. Whoever it is they are coming in early and have a good few months to get acclimatised to the club and the squad, its not as if he is being trotted a week before the new season.

Clegg

Top 3 would be acceptable so long as we build on that.

Being a level below the top sides for a prolonged period (4-5 years) won't be tolerated at United.

That probably sounds unfair but that's the reality imo.

Feorax

So who we think Moyes will look to get rid of?

Nani?
Valencia?
Shinji?
Evra?
Andreson?
Buttner?
Rppney?
Chicha?
Welberg?

Speaking of crazy bets, I remember a few years ago there was a guy who bet on that game in the African Cup of Nations, where one team was winning 4 - 1 with 10 mins to go. He bet his entire student loan that the team winning 4 - 1 would win the match. It ended 4 - 4 :lol

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Nani?
Valencia?
Shinji?
Evra?
Andreson?
Buttner?
Rppney?
Chicha?
Welberg?

I cant honestly see a new Manager making wholesale changes, they need the crowd on their side and getting rid of alot of players and changing heavily a title winning squad makes little to no sense to me. I think they have every right to strengthen and would be shocked if there werent 2-3 signings with at least one being a regular contender and 2 squad players.

Linius

How can you not expect trophies? A manager change isn't the end of the world. You still have quality players and loads of money to strenghten the squad. When you're Man. United you're always a title contender and as fan you should expect them to compete for the title till the last bit.

Brinbe

Ideally, there will be no real drop-off, since the squad's actually pretty good as is. Considering that our youngsters will be a year older, with more experience. Kagawa/RVP will have fully blended into the squad by then as well and others that struggled, like Valencia/Young, could see an improvement in form and it's not hard to imagine. Introduce Zaha/Powell (maybe Henriquez?) and whoever else we sign into the mix and there's room for optimism, even if it is Moyes.

As long as Moyes actually sorts out the midfield (has to happen now, right!?) I'd expect us to challenge for the title as always. Anything other than that in the CL or FAC would be gravy, tbh. Settling for a battle for 3rd/4th (or lower) would be a disappoint, because we would expect better if it was SAF or even Mou.

Noirulus

Holy mother of sharts, just caught the Sir Alex retirement news! What a historic day, football won't be the same without fergie :(

Empty

Nani?
Valencia?
Shinji?
Evra?
Andreson?
Buttner?
Rppney?
Chicha?
Welberg?

the main reason for appointing moyes is that he's unlikely to want to make major changes

anderson's work-rate doesn't fit at all though. nani is probably off too with zaha coming in.

Wes

venison crêpe

Nani?
Valencia?
Shinji?
Evra?
Andreson?
Buttner?
Rppney?
Chicha?
Welberg?

I think Nani and Rooney are gone. He'll need to put his own stamp on the side immediately. The natural positions for that would be left back and central midfielder. Baines and Fellaini just makes too much sense. Baines has 24 months left on contract and is 28. He has one big move left in him. I'd keep Valencia and Young just because Moyes has done well with wingers in the past.

Linius

:lol

I just can bring myself to start a new game :/

I'm gonna start a new FIFA 13 manager mode with some low level club now. They need just enough budget so I can buy some players like Fischer and Denswil from Ajax. Will be fun to climb up to Europe's top class of football.

Meier

2027? Damn. Well good to know for the Arselol fans they will be competing for CL cups again in 2027.

Haha. My Porto team has won 8 Champions Leagues in a row, awww yeah. Just had to sell my star player Vitezslav Svoboda though since he was getting down to the final year of his deal and wanted $180k per week. I refuse to spend more than $110k or so and only have about 3 guys anywhere near that as is.

City and United have offered $72m and 10% of his next transfer. He's only 25 and worth $68m. I tested the waters when he had more time left on his deal but clubs just physically won't spend much more than that in the game.

I'm still annoyed that SI has not instituted some sort of sliding scale where TV rights for the Champions League increase year over year (and/or prize money). I win the UCL and get like $24m and have to give $12m to my players.. salaries keep increasing but they don't do a very good job at increasing your revenue to match this. To stay profitable, I almost never can keep my top players. Have a transfer budget of around $290m and I'm usually about $600k per week under my budgeted salary.

Really want this.

I'll offer them £9.99 over 48 months

Pfft, it's $23.99 USD. What the hell kind of conversion rate is that?! Or are you offering less than the listed price like you might try in the game? ;)

Clegg

Fellaini isn't a midfielder anymore imo. He's an attacking midfielder who you lump the ball to. We'd be better off with a proper midfielder. I'd be happy with Baines though.

And if we're playing 4-4-1-1 I'd much rather Shinji play behind the striker.

Bo-Locks

Didn't he get a nosebleed and nearly pass out last year during pre-season? I think that beating City, seeing Gill go, achieving everything he possibly could and the replacement hip operation in the summer just mounted up and so he decided now was as good a time as any. Everybody knew he was going to go eventually. The statue, the naming of the stand and the very un-Ferguson-like RVP transfer let everyone know the end was nigh.

Everything he has ever done has been due to the stability of the club. Nobody is bigger than the club and this goes for Ferguson himself, too. We have a young team and an improving financial situation so I'm not worried, regardless of who takes over. Ferguson will probably have already made the decision about his successor, anyway. I would prefer Mourinho, but I wouldn't mind Moyes, either.

Regardless of who takes over, I would expect United to remain competitive in the league (by competitive I mean either winning it or be close to winning the PL, none of this top 4 garbage. Let Arsenal worry about that. I would also expect a round of 16 CL run in the CL as a minimum, and perhaps going further than that. In short, not much change from the present.

Things aren't just going to fall apart because Fergie left. The new manager will also get a lot more time than at any other big club, since United fans and the board are more acutely aware of the virtue of patience.

Fellaini isn't a midfielder anymore imo. He's an attacking midfielder who you lump the ball to. We'd be better off with a proper midfielder. I'd be happy with Baines though.

And if we're playing 4-4-1-1 I'd much rather Shinji play behind the striker.

It still amazes me that it was Moyes and not Pulis that created this role.

defel

The old rule of thumb is that the best predictor about the state of nature next year is simply the state of nature this year. In other words, I dont expect much to change at United. They will still be fighting for the title, still be competing in the Champions league, will still be making money, will still be attracting the best players in the world. Fergie built United from the ground up. Its like a ship, you cant just turn it around and go in the other direction. I bet you could make Elmo manager and United would still probably get out of the UCL group stages.

faridmon

:lol

Yeah, it's not for me to complain really. I'm lazy. The reason I picked English is because I'm good at writing, I didn't really think of anything past that. So when it came to the module choices and whatnot, I was acting on instinct and laziness rather than any informed decision making. Will just have to apologise profusely, be willing to resit the year, etc. But through a combination of my own choices and the course, I'm just not happy doing it. Gonna try and sort it out.

I kow you don't read my post, but I hope everything goes well for you
in the Uni that is, not in Football because you won't win anything in teh next 10 years

Clegg

David Johnson ‏@KingJonno12 3m

Just spoke to one of the lads it is moyes for Fucks sake

This guy is probably a genuine itk.

He's gotten a lot of United rumours correct and seems to know one or two of the players.

pulga

Banned
BJr_l4ACcAAP1fC.jpg:large

The best part about this is that they're in the pose that most reminds me of Bayern.

Standing in a line on the half way line watching Drogba score the winning penalty in the Champions League in their own stadium.

This post needs to be framed somewhere.

Goddamn, Wes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom