• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many fucking players do you need? Sell us Di Maria, you cunt.

No. NO. Enough of players like that. We need top talent, which my paisan Ilicic isn't.

iqtakUTZ4rdVY.gif

Suen

Miccoli crying on the pitch. :'[

Ilicic, Hernandez, and Baretto too. :(

Fuck.
Oh shit :( Sorry man, wish Torino would get relegated instead of you guys, hope you guys make it back for 2014-15 :(

Chelsea will win their last two games. I think the Arsenal games could go either way, I really do; I have as much faith in them winning them both as I do Wigan nicking a draw. And Spurs will win unless they do a Spurs and bottle it.

Would love to see Spurs instead of Arsenal.
Would love to see Moyes instead of Fergie
<3

Dibbz

Arsenal's games to Wigan and Newcastle will be very demanding. I'm certainly not expecting wins in either game

Wigan will be scary because they play good stuff but have really been unlucky to not get more points in the last few games. Last year we were shocking against them but they were on a good run where they had just beaten Utd before us. Hopefully we can grind another 3 points out like we've been doing so far.

Wilbur

Banned
PS CUNTS FIFA

Wilbur you knob.

The expectation next year is that we retain the title. If we don't Moyes isn't a failure or anything, but that's the expectation for the club.

Get ready for any minor set back to be dressed up as the end of MUFC though. In fact it'll probably be our fans who will be the worst for it.

Vivur you knob.

I don't think the expectation will be that we retain the title. I think it'll be that we certainly challenge for the title but if we don't win it, it isn't the end of the world. Expecting to win the title would imply we've failed if we haven't... so yeah, I kind of agree with you but in different words.

I'm willing to give Moyes a fucking huge amount of time. Huge. He's done a great job over at Goodison:

The Everton manager offers loyalty, continuity, an eye for a player and a playing style more attractive than he is given credit for at Goodison, where it depends on the resources he has available.

That is a net spend of roughly £800,000 per season over the past five years. Ferguson the former shop steward will have appreciated many other traits in Moyes's long journey through the ranks aside from an interest in golf and horses.

A fierce work ethic is one. The then 38-year-old was driving from Preston to Bristol to scout the Rovers striker Nathan Ellington on Wednesday, 13 March, 2002 when he took a call from Everton's chairman, Bill Kenwright, asking if he was interested in replacing Walter Smith.

Moyes continued to the game, drove from Bristol to London, convinced Kenwright he was the man in talks lasting until 5am, then headed back to take training with Preston North End on Thursday morning. That Thursday night he breezed into Goodison Park, christened Everton the people's club on Merseyside &#8211; to the immediate irritation of Liverpool &#8211; and began the process of restoring pride to a forlorn institution.

His industry has not diminished over 11 years. Goodison looks no different, which shows the board has failed to match their manager's drive. But Moyes has rebuilt Everton from within, lowering the average age of the squad, replenishing it on modest means and helping to establish a youth system that flourishes despite Liverpool, United and Manchester City spending millions to entice players away. On Wednesday he finished training at Finch Farm, Everton's £8m training complex with the youth academy on-site, a Moyes instruction, before being driven by his brother and agent, Kenny, to London to watch Chelsea versus Tottenham, Chelsea being Everton's opponents on the final day of the season and not another job opportunity.

An emphasis on youth development and playing youngsters &#8211; though there is often no other choice at Everton &#8211; will add to the appeal for United. So too Moyes's prudent, considered transfer acumen. At his first board meeting as Everton's manager, Moyes told directors they had erred with an aged transfer policy and needed to start again.

He inherited a squad including David Ginola and Paul Gascoigne, who was gone within the week, although Moyes delayed the transfer to Burnley until after his old club Preston had played them. Fortunately, Everton had Wayne Rooney exploding through. His sale to United sickened Everton yet stabilised its finances and though Moyes went to court over allegations in Rooney's autobiography, since retracted, the pair made their peace several years ago.

Everton's standing in the Premier League is light years away from what Moyes inherited 11 years ago. In the 10 seasons before Moyes's first full campaign, in charge Everton finished 13th, 17th, 15th, sixth, 15th, 17th, 14th, 13th, 16th and 15th. In the 10 years since they have finished seventh, 17th, fourth, 11th, sixth, fifth, fifth, eighth, seventh and sixth, providing Everton remain where they are &#8211; above Liverpool for the second successive season &#8211; over the final two matches of the campaign.

Moyes insisted after Sunday's Merseyside derby that the parochial spat with Liverpool counted for nothing and that only European football mattered. His body language suggested otherwise. To remain above the wealthier neighbours, who have spent almost £50m under Brendan Rodgers alone, does constitute achievement for Everton. Moyes has detractors at Goodison, no doubt, and the FA Cup quarter-final humbling by Wigan appeared a breaking point for many after a trophy-less reign and 45 visits to United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea without a win.

The following week, in typical Everton style, champions Manchester City were beaten with 10 men. Moyes punched the air towards the Gwladys Street stand on the final whistle. It may not have been entirely celebratory given the Wigan fallout.

The Everton manager is progressive and analytical. The football his team played in the first half of this season was arguably the finest witnessed at Goodison since the 1980s, before his pre-season warning over a lack of depth proved prescient. He is also one of the last "old-school" managers, who values the traditions of a club, keeps a protective arm over old players in trouble and is far from the gruff Scot he can often appear in television interviews.

"I'm quite embarrassed," Moyes told a few journalists he took out for a 10-year anniversary dinner last year. "I'm not coming in here with a couple of trophies to show people but I hope people have seen a good level of progression and improvement. It is very hard to be a manager of Arsenal or Manchester United for 10 years but they have chances of trophies which keep that going. To be at a club like Everton for 10 years is quite a tough thing to do. I don't feel under-rated. I just feel that, in life, if you do your job well people will say 'come on'. You get what you deserve."

He deserves the opportunity, and the resources, to answer doubts about his trophy-winning potential. It is to Everton's detriment it will not be with them.

Suen

Modriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic!! Amazing! This guy has been fucking superb second half of this season.
I guess ten men against Madrid was going to be too much for a team like Malaga as well. Totally crushed. Di Maria in!

MPW

MODRIC GOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Di Maria is fucking immense. He regressed a bit this year due to injuries but when he's in form he can do everything on the pitch.

either buy bale, sell cr7 (refuses to sign an extension) or buy bale, sell di maria (cr7 signs an extension)

Not exactly. If we had lost then Arsenal could afford to drop 2 points, i.e. draw against Wigan or Newcastle. I had a feeling we'd be looking at that game and needing Newcastle to do us a favour. The positive from this result is that they've got a slightly better chance of getting a point than winning.

That's very true, actually.

TrueBlue

Will take a draw, disappointed we didn't get the win though. Adebayor was fantastic, and I thought Torres had a good game. Felt we were the better side, but there you go. Just gotta get a win from our next two games and we're there.

PS CUNTS FIFA

Vivur you knob.

I don't think the expectation will be that we retain the title. I think it'll be that we certainly challenge for the title but if we don't win it, it isn't the end of the world. Expecting to win the title would imply we've failed if we haven't... so yeah, I kind of agree with you but in different words.

I'm willing to give Moyes a fucking huge amount of time. Huge. He's done a great job over at Goodison:
There was a piece by the @GiggsBoson fella a while back detailing why Moyes would be a good choice.

I think I posted it here, I'm sure you can find it if you just go to his blog. It's very good.

Moyes will do well, I'm confident :)

But he won't do as well as Fergie...

Btw - read your finding Uni a chore at the mo, hope it works out, keep at it!

Suen

A Parma fan? Is this real life? Or the 1990s?
Your team would be in Serie C if it wasn't for Buffon, get bent.

With Spurs losing the CL spot and ManU losing Fergie, it's pretty much guaranteed. Cavani and Bale. Holy shit.
Yes yes yes!!! This must happen!! Holy shit!!

Di Maria needs to stay, as back up for Bale. Sell Kaka and Callejon can fuck off for all I care.
We should absolutely not get reid of Di Maria. He's good despite the (valid) shit talk he gets at him sometimes. Kaka....he cost us so much...I want him to prove his worth back but it's never happening is it? :( Callejon can fuck off, sell him to Juve.

Wilbur

Banned
There was a piece by the @GiggsBoson fella a while back detailing why Moyes would be a good choice.

I think I posted it here, I'm sure you can find it if you just go to his blog. It's very good.

Moyes will do well, I'm confident :)

But he won't do as well as Fergie...

Btw - read your finding Uni a chore at the mo, hope it works out, keep at it!

I'll have a look for it, cheers! No one will do well as Fergie. Ever. We're lucky to have been alive for the glory years. Wish I could have been around since the start.

And thanks man. Sent them an email later, hopefully I get a positive response.

Turok_TTZ

how interesting. it seems benz and mou are on good terms atm. looks like someone will be added to my blacklist shortly.

score higuain score.

Whoever finishes fourth will get knocked out in the qualifier if its against a team from Italy, Germany or Spain

#SureAsArnie
Zenit would knock them out too. It will be opposite of our games against Liverpool. This time we'd be the ones in midseason form.

BBC are saying:

Moyes >>> United
Martinez >>> Everton
Coyle >>> Wigan

Everton are generally known for their slow starts and strong finishes right? Martinez would be perfect then.

Suen

I am so fucking scared man.

We have actually been pretty poor going forward recently but our defence has allowed us to win games only scoring 1 or 2 goals. If our defenders crack under the pressure, which they have been known to do once or twice(!), we may be in trouble. I will watch both matches in a state of absolute fear.
The late winners we tend to have doesn't exactly strike you with confidence either. To be fair our defense has been doing much better this late in the season but I can't trust them completely and I can def. not trust our GKs, makes me feel so uncomfortable. It will be uncomfortable games to watch for sure but I believe we can do it, have to give it everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom