• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

It comes from reading Sal's posts history <3

image.php

You could always start writing a blog and start from it. I am currently writing a blog about Indie Music and I have to say, I have improved dramatcally in the past few years or so. The thing with blogging is that it improves your organisational skills when it comes to putting your thoughts into words. I can see that you do write a lot, and with a little writing here and there, I think you should be just fine!

Thanks farid, I don't know about blogging because I don't believe i'll attract an audience in this day and age where everyone is too busy. I may practice writing articles for my own sake though! Thanks buddy.

Wilbur

Banned
Fair point. He managed to compete against quite a lot of those teams though and still they didn't qualify.

Oh I agree with you that he isn't perfect and he's certainly duffed up once or twice this season, but its not a criticism that he's going to finish sixth behind the clubs I mentioned. It's a great achievement really.

WILBURY

I am seriously considering a career in writing football articles (alongside commentary, punditry, studio analyses, etc) - is there such a career for a person who is NOT a former football legend?

Also, I am really into writing but I'm not sure how to improve! Whenever I read articles out there I am astounded by the amazing use of vocabulary that makes the article far more fun to read but I am not sure how to get better at it myself.

Does it come from simply practicing and learning new words along the way?

FADY

Salazar and Arnie are certainly more well spoken than I so hopefully they can chip in (and an awful lot of posters in FootyGAF really), but yeah the majority of sports writers have no career in football to speak of besides Sunday League bollocks. Punditry is a bit harder because people on the telly want to see old players talking just like people will want to go see a Tom Cruise movie over a foreign one or whatever, but there's some fantastic journalists in papers like the Times, the Guardian et al that were never players. Barney Ronay from the Guardian especially is a brilliant writer with a relatively unique writing style; if you can find his Thomas Muller article from recently, it was fantastic.

I'm assuming you have a better vocabulary in your first language than English (but your English is also great going by here), so if there is a pathway into sports writing/commentating etc., I'd say go for it. Just reading, watching, exploring the news sites have all led to me learning new words and new things I didn't know before, and not just about football.

Wilbur

Banned
You could always start writing a blog and start from it. I am currently writing a blog about Indie Music and I have to say, I have improved dramatcally in the past few years or so. The thing with blogging is that it improves your organisational skills when it comes to putting your thoughts into words. I can see that you do write a lot, and with a little writing here and there, I think you should be just fine!

I'm thinking of starting a blog about football this summer; probably won't be well read but I'll at least get to write. Maybe could ask some of you cunts interested in different leagues and subjects to write for me and make it a bit more unique than "Man United fan cries over Fergie".

Was also going to email the local non-league club (Sutton United, Blue Square South) and maybe see if - assuming I pay for the games and travel and whatnot myself - I could grab a few interviews with players and managers over the course of the season, but I'm not too sure how to go about that as of yet.

That is a nice fucking problem to have, you dork.

Just push yourself and you will be alright.

You keep calling me a dork :( and yeah I know. Gotta try harder 4 shore

faridmon

image.php

Thanks farid, I don't know about blogging because I don't believe i'll attract an audience in this day and age where everyone is too busy. I may practice writing articles for my own sake though! Thanks buddy.

No one reads my blog
:(
but I keep writing it for the sake of it. To get my English proficiency just right and to have this mental skill of putting my thoughts down as they are with a bit of flair and organisation.

and one day you will keep getting audience if what you are writing is intresting.... That is what I keep telling myself.

Fady K

The Italian hand sign for "WHAT THE FUCK?"

LOL Sleepless I just noticed my avatar is a part of yours!

FADY

Salazar and Arnie are certainly more well spoken than I so hopefully they can chip in (and an awful lot of posters in FootyGAF really), but yeah the majority of sports writers have no career in football to speak of besides Sunday League bollocks. Punditry is a bit harder because people on the telly want to see old players talking just like people will want to go see a Tom Cruise movie over a foreign one or whatever, but there's some fantastic journalists in papers like the Times, the Guardian et al that were never players. Barney Ronay from the Guardian especially is a brilliant writer with a relatively unique writing style; if you can find his Thomas Muller article from recently, it was fantastic.

I'm assuming you have a better vocabulary in your first language than English (but your English is also great going by here), so if there is a pathway into sports writing/commentating etc., I'd say go for it. Just reading, watching, exploring the news sites have all led to me learning new words and new things I didn't know before, and not just about football.

Thanks a lot Wil. I bookmarked that article about Mueller. Will give it a good read! My first language is English btw, and I don't even feel like I'm that good at it when I read such amazing articles! Thanks for the words of encouragement though bro, much appreciated!

Fady K

No reads my blog
:(
) but I keep writing it for the sake of it. To get my English proficiency just right and to have this mental skill of putting my thoughts down as they are with a bit of flair and organisation.

and one day you will keep getting audience if what you are writing is intresting.... That is what I keep telling myself.

That's a great thing farid, keep it up bro. Writing for the sake of writing should definitely strengthen your ability; why don't you pass it around to family and friends and get their opinion?

Is this for real:D?????!!! (Can't open youtube at work) - so is this like a one episode special or a new era of special 1 tv awesomeness?

faridmon

Thanks Willbury.

If anyone is intrested, here is my blog faridmon.blogspot.com
It may come as cheesy and emo during its start, as I tried to get my thoughts down, but hopefully I appear more mature as the entries keep being added to it

faridmon

But yeah, I would be intrested in writing a collaborated effort on a blog, but I don't know anything about Football. so be warned!

Wilbur

Banned
Nah, fucking YOLO.

Treat the idea that your kidney can develop stones as a fascinating byproduct of nature, not as a painfully debilitating curse.

Wow man that's deep. I've began to look upon severe genital warts in much the same way. How incredible is it that your penis can indeed look like a cauliflower?

Wilbur

Banned
But yeah, I would be intrested in writing a collaborated effort on a blog, but I don't know anything about Football. so be warned!

Think we tried it before on Meus' blog and it flopped, but it was very much a spur of the moment, no thought has gone into this. I would primarily use it as a platform for my own writing even if no one else was interested. And like I say, I'll email fucking Sutton United (PL Champions 2019/20 on FM 11)

faridmon

Think we tried it before on Meus' blog and it flopped, but it was very much a spur of the moment, no thought has gone into this. I would primarily use it as a platform for my own writing even if no one else was interested. And like I say, I'll email fucking Sutton United (PL Champions 2019/20 on FM 11)

Yeah, I remember that. I thought it was a vanilla effort by him, he should two-triangled that, and wrote constantly so everyone else would be motivated enough to put something there.

Also, you guys are more than welcome to introduce any band we may not about in my blog.

Wilbur

Banned
Two triangled that :lol

The longest-serving manager in Serie A currently is Napoli's Walter Mazzarri. He has held his post since October 2009.

In the 27 years since Ferguson took charge at Old Trafford, the Sicilian club have changed managers 44 times. More than half of those appointments have taken place since July 2002, when Maurizio Zamparini completed his takeover of the club.

sohois

Hey Fady,

If you really want to write about Football, you better get ready for a lot of hardship. Journalism in general is dying which makes a tough position to get into even harder. What is more, football in particular is going to be a crowded area. As others have said, you should just get writing straight away to have a chance at making something of it.

I mention this since my Uncle actually works for the Racing Post - not as a journalist - which is a Horse racing/betting paper in the UK. He actually gets asked to contribute articles every so often but despite being there for years he has not managed to parlay it into anything more than the occasional article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom