• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Sounds like a call for crazy early predictions! Emphasis on the crazy.

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Tottenham Hotspur
4. Arsenal - FA Cup
5. Manchester United
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. Southampton - League Cup
9. Everton
10. West Brom
11. Newcastle
12. Aston Villa
13. West Ham
14. Sunderland
15. Cardiff
16. Stoke
17. Norwich
18. Fulham
19. Leicester
20. Hull

Not bad except for that bit about Arsenal winning the FA cup. You aren't sneaking that in there and getting away with it.

Meier

The DM's Photoshop of Rooney in a Chelsea shirt may be the worst yet.

ibew1q8JfQcYh4.jpg

So bad..

Well he's earned it. I've been pestering people about Moyes coming for awhile but I piggybacked off Arnie's cocksure confidence that it would actually happen.

Absolutely. He took a lot of shit from the Man U fans for a long time.

Mourinho to Chelsea isn't confirmed. Also, they will still probably fuck up the race for a CL slot and then Mourinho and top players won't want to join. Even if they manage to finish 4th, they will probably fuck up the playoffs.

Chelsea ain't winning shit next year. Book it.

depends if Mou goes there or not.

here's the thing though: Benitez is out, and no CL, no Mou. who picks up this fuckin team? they need a manager that knows the ins and outs of the club. gentleman, the man Chelsea needs in the bench to command the troops, the one and only:

John-Terry-to-Manchester-City.jpg

GorillaJu

Well I don't think any of the clubs who are changing managers will win the title, but I do genuinely think United have a shot at it. If City expand their squad in a meaningful way this year, they can win it for sure (even with Mancini).

I don't see Chelsea finishing in the top 2 with Mourinho unless they get an absolutely top class center midfielder and a world class striker as well.

Wes

venison crêpe
Chelsea have the best attack in the league and they're only going to get stronger with Jose signings. He should sort them out defensively too.

GorillaJu

Chelsea have the best attack in the league and they're only going to get stronger with Jose signings. He should sort them out defensively too.

I think Jose is kind of on tilt right now. I don't think a manager takes the team that he has at Real Madrid and then has the kind of fall-out and point gap at the end of the year and gets excused for it. He's still one of the best managers, sure, but I don't see him taking the title in his first year back at Chelsea.

Rad-

I think Moyes will do a good job in the league. League success is basically what has landed him the job. It's Europe that I'm concerned about. He hasn't proven anything there.

Wes

venison crêpe
Gary Caldwell has seen to that, the shit cunt.

A scenario for you:

Both Wigan and Newcastle lose this weekend. Wigan play Aston Villa, Newcastle play Arsenal final game of the season.

If Wigan beat Villa and Arsenal win, Newcastle go down - and Villa will have directly had a hand in their relegation again.

Carbonox

A scenario for you:

Both Wigan and Newcastle lose this weekend. Wigan play Aston Villa, Newcastle play Arsenal final game of the season.

If Wigan beat Villa and Arsenal win, Newcastle go down - and Villa will have directly had a hand in their relegation again.

This is how it will happen btw.

jtb

Banned
Mourinho should've lobbied harder for the Utd job. Returning to Chelsea... a lot more potential for things to go wrong I think. at least at United, the league basically wins itself so it just comes down to bringing in dat European experience.

Ingeniero

A scenario for you:

I agree with this scenario.
newcastle 0 - 3 Arsenal in the final day

Mourinho should've lobbied harder for the Utd job. Returning to Chelsea... a lot more potential for things to go wrong I think. at least at United, the league basically wins itself so it just comes down to bringing in dat European experience.

Maybe United made it clear they weren't interested or maybe Mountain didn't want to go there.

qindarka

Banned
Educational post:

Some of you may be of the impression that Chelsea have virtually sealed a top 4 place. The purpose of this post is to inform you that you are wrong.

Let's have a look at their rivals' next fixtures:

Arsenal
Wigan (H)- Wigan are virtually relegated after that loss to Swansea and suck anyway. Easy win.
Newcastle (A) - Newcastle are a shambles at the moment. Their last two home games saw them concede 9 without reply. Another easy win.

Spurs
Sunderland (H) - Sunderland's form outside Tyneside, even under Di Canio, is shit, crushing loss to Villa a prime example. Easy win.
Stoke (A) - Britannia used to be a fortress. Not anymore, Stoke are awful this year. Plus Spurs have Bale. Can only go one way.

So it seems pretty clear that both these teams will win out pretty easily. Chelsea do only need one win to qualify. Pretty straightforward, right?

WRONG

Let's take a closer look at the facts
Remaining fixtures:
Villa (A) - Chelsea have a terrible record at Villa Park, only recording two wins there in the last 15 years or something. Plus Villa are on great form, having won their last two fixtures, including a 6-1 win over a resurgent Sunderland. A point seems the most optimistic outcome.
Everton (H) - Chelsea have a poor record against Everton, especially on the last day of the season. Chelsea may have beaten Everton at the Bridge last season, but that was an anomaly, with the previous 5 such fixtures ending in draws. Again, a draw seems most likely.

Also, Chelsea have this match sandwiching the Europa League final. The defeat there would both distract their attentions from the Villa match, as well as tire and demoralise them for the final match.

Thus, this comprehensive analysis has indicated that Chelsea will in all likelihood, miss out on a Top 4 spot. Sure, they could maybe sneak a win or hope for a slip up but don't put money on it.

Carbonox

Can you really see Newcastle losing to QPR?

Yes.

Realistically, I'd like to think the return of Coloccini will whip everyone in to shape but his leadership skills aren't enough to turn around this sinking ship when the manager is dog shit.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
A scenario for you:

I'm hoping after two straight defeats WBA might have some incentive to actually play well at Norwich and Wigan stay up on goal difference after beating Villa. I can see the Newcastle and QPR game being a really, really dull draw.

Rad-

Even harder? He has basically sucked up to Fergie and United fans the past 4 years. I think he did try his hardest. But he's too much of a journeyman so he got rejected I reckon.

Kyoufu

You're up against the lowerst club in the league and you're fighting for relegation. I can't imagine a coach going for the point in that scenario. Please stay up Newcastle, for the sake of Anita.

Anita is gone this summer even if we stay up. Pardew doesn't want him anymore. :(

speaking of winning the league, Benfica just lost it.

Pedro Proença was the ref on the last year's Euro Cup and CL finals and he's gonna ref the Porto vs Benfica match.

problem is, this motherfucker was headbutted by a benfica supporter some time ago (not me) and holds a fuckin grudge.

Andrefpvs, DyonPT, rvy, ThaneKrios, MrKaepora... maybe next year.

Linius

Dutch cup finale is up in an hour. Too bad it's without us, De Boer really fucked that up. I want that double :(

Anita is gone this summer even if we stay up. Pardew doesn't want him anymore. :(

Wait what? I thought he got him self a spot in the starting XI right? Or am I confusing things?

jtb

Banned
just six years?

Even harder? He has basically sucked up to Fergie and United fans the past 4 years. I think he did try his hardest. But he's too much of a journeyman so he got rejected I reckon.

true. but he could've always resigned from the Madrid job. I would not be surprised if Mourinho's huge salary demands + compensation to Madrid/Mendes scared United off, just as much as his short-termism. Moyes came for free, and he'll be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom