• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

An Arsenal fan in a nutshell, ladies and gentelmen.
Guilty :(

Kyoufu's brain has disappeared through years of salt filtering through his veins. Avaya is an illusion created by the deepest recesses of Lightning's id.

Lightning disappeared lately. : (

Educational post:

Some of you may be of the impression that Chelsea have virtually sealed a top 4 place. The purpose of this post is to inform you that you are wrong.

Let's have a look at their rivals' next fixtures:

Arsenal
Wigan (H)- Wigan are virtually relegated after that loss to Swansea and suck anyway. Easy win.
Newcastle (A) - Newcastle are a shambles at the moment. Their last two home games saw them concede 9 without reply. Another easy win.

Spurs
Sunderland (H) - Sunderland's form outside Tyneside, even under Di Canio, is shit, crushing loss to Villa a prime example. Easy win.
Stoke (A) - Britannia used to be a fortress. Not anymore, Stoke are awful this year. Plus Spurs have Bale. Can only go one way.

So it seems pretty clear that both these teams will win out pretty easily. Chelsea do only need one win to qualify. Pretty straightforward, right?

WRONG

Let's take a closer look at the facts
Remaining fixtures:
Villa (A) - Chelsea have a terrible record at Villa Park, only recording two wins there in the last 15 years or something. Plus Villa are on great form, having won their last two fixtures, including a 6-1 win over a resurgent Sunderland. A point seems the most optimistic outcome.
Everton (H) - Chelsea have a poor record against Everton, especially on the last day of the season. Chelsea may have beaten Everton at the Bridge last season, but that was an anomaly, with the previous 5 such fixtures ending in draws. Again, a draw seems most likely.

Also, Chelsea have this match sandwiching the Europa League final. The defeat there would both distract their attentions from the Villa match, as well as tire and demoralise them for the final match.

Thus, this comprehensive analysis has indicated that Chelsea will in all likelihood, miss out on a Top 4 spot. Sure, they could maybe sneak a win or hope for a slip up but don't put money on it.

You fill my heart with hope :)

Though you're wrong, its between Spurs and Arsenal and at the moment looking bad for Tottenham.

Pleased with BT's effort going Into Bt sport

I work for BT and my fear was we were going to have a limp effort like setanta but there's a chance this may work

Tc91

David, 50, has been the Everton manager since 2002, joining after a successful spell as manager of Preston North End.

Announcing his successor, Sir Alex Ferguson said:

"When we discussed the candidates that we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on David Moyes. David is a man of great integrity with a strong work ethic. I've admired his work for a long time and approached him as far back as 1998 to discuss the position of Assistant Manager here. He was a young man then at the start of his career and has since gone on to do a magnificent job at Everton. There is no question he has all the qualities we expect of a manager at this Club.”

Sir Bobby Charlton said:

“I have always said that we wanted the next manager to be a genuine Manchester United man. In David Moyes, we have someone who understands the things that make this such a special club. We have secured a man who is committed to the long-term and will build teams for the future as well as now. Stability breeds success.

“David has tremendous strength of character and recognises the importance of bringing young players through and developing them alongside world class talent. At United, I think David will be able to express himself. I’m delighted he has accepted and I’m looking forward to working with him.”

David Moyes said:

“It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager of Manchester United. I am delighted that Sir Alex saw fit to recommend me for the job. I have great respect for everything he has done and for the Football Club.

“I know how hard it will be to follow the best manager ever, but the opportunity to manage Manchester United isn’t something that comes around very often and I’m really looking forward to taking up the post next season.

“I have had a terrific job at Everton, with a tremendous chairman and Board of Directors and a great set of players. Between now and the end of the season, I will do everything in my power to make sure we finish as high as possible in the table.

“Everton’s fantastic fans have played a big part in making my years at Goodison so enjoyable and I thank them wholeheartedly for the support they have given me and the players. Everton will be close to me for the rest of my life.”

David will be introduced to the world as the Manager of Manchester United in due course.

Bring Baines with you.

Linius

Gosling is... well, let's not talk about him.

No rumours yet but I think going back to Ajax will do him good.

I'd like him back but I don't see it happening tbh. We're after two young and talented (more technical) players for our midfield if Eriksen and De Jong leave us. Anita isn't in the picture.

PowderedToast

Educational post:

Some of you may be of the impression that Chelsea have virtually sealed a top 4 place. The purpose of this post is to inform you that you are wrong.

Arsenal
Wigan (H)- Wigan are virtually relegated after that loss to Swansea and suck anyway. Easy win.
Newcastle (A) - Newcastle are a shambles at the moment. Their last two home games saw them concede 9 without reply. Another easy win.

Spurs
Sunderland (H) - Sunderland's form outside Tyneside, even under Di Canio, is shit, crushing loss to Villa a prime example. Easy win.
Stoke (A) - Britannia used to be a fortress. Not anymore, Stoke are awful this year. Plus Spurs have Bale. Can only go one way.

So it seems pretty clear that both these teams will win out pretty easily. Chelsea do only need one win to qualify. Pretty straightforward, right?

WRONG

Remaining fixtures:
Villa (A) - Chelsea have a terrible record at Villa Park, only recording two wins there in the last 15 years or something. Plus Villa are on great form, having won their last two fixtures, including a 6-1 win over a resurgent Sunderland. A point seems the most optimistic outcome.
Everton (H) - Chelsea have a poor record against Everton, especially on the last day of the season. Chelsea may have beaten Everton at the Bridge last season, but that was an anomaly, with the previous 5 such fixtures ending in draws. Again, a draw seems most likely.

Also, Chelsea have this match sandwiching the Europa League final. The defeat there would both distract their attentions from the Villa match, as well as tire and demoralise them for the final match.

Thus, this comprehensive analysis has indicated that Chelsea will in all likelihood, miss out on a Top 4 spot. Sure, they could maybe sneak a win or hope for a slip up but don't put money on it.

mmmmm this is assuming that anything goes the way one predicts in football. wigan could easily beat arsenal, it happens!

madmackem

Was always going to be him, some of the posts on here yesterday were nuts, there was no way it was going to be jose this makes sense and its what saf wanted. Hope he does well and is given the time. Test for utd fans now, welcome to the real world of football where moaning fans can almost fuck your club up.

bud

moyes can't do worse than ferguson. if he can turn united into a team that can string together more than three passes, then he has done exceptionally well.

Linius

I must say I respect Moyes for having the courage to step in the tracks of a living legend at the club. I mean, it's hard to do better than Ferguson (the more easy to do worse) and people expect a lot from you.

madmackem

Educational post:

Arsenal

Spurs

WRONG

Remaining fixtures:

there-is-the-door-get-the-fuck-out.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Six years, eh? I'll try to keep an open mind, but the signings and tactics for next season are going to be under an extra-fine microscope.

Won't be a big change in tactics for the most part. It'll be against the big clubs where they need to be scrutinised. Signings will be fine. He's got a good eye for a player.

It'll be things like egos and whatnot that are more important, but with Fergie still there I think Moyes will be more like a head coach next season and grow into the role of manager.

defel

Hopefully this is a sign that the powers at be at United are wise enough to avoid the Managerial merry-go-round that hurts long term progress.

Tc91

Gonna be very interesting to see what he can do with some money and a better squad at his disposal.

Rooney is on his way out so that's surely £25-35m, I hope he brings Baines with him leave the afro at Goodison.

LTWheels

Pleased with BT's effort going Into Bt sport

I work for BT and my fear was we were going to have a limp effort like setanta but there's a chance this may work

I saw in todays Evening Standard that the sports channels are free if you are a subscriber to BT broadband, but you are still required to purchase the BT TV box which the paper says is £299!!

Shame as I'm already a BT Infinity broadband subscriber.

Dave Whelan will be distraught come May 20th

-His favourite team loses the best manager of all time, and replaces him with David Moyes
-His team gets battered in the FA Cup Final
-His team gets relegated
-He loses his manager, and replaces him with Owen Coyle

Meier

Mourinho should've lobbied harder for the Utd job. Returning to Chelsea... a lot more potential for things to go wrong I think. at least at United, the league basically wins itself so it just comes down to bringing in dat European experience.

Mourinho is the best coach in the world but he probably wouldn't have fit in there at United for a number of reasons. Filling a legend's shoes is a tough gig -- I doubt he'd want to tarnish his own legacy by failing there too (if he did). It's easier to come in after someone else who hasn't been as successful necessarily and try and better them.

jtb

Banned
Hopefully this is a sign that the powers at be at United are wise enough to avoid the Managerial merry-go-round that hurts long term progress.

A bit early to make a judgment on that, I think. If things don't get off to a strong start...

Wilbur

Banned
Kenright sounds devastated.

I must say I respect Moyes for having the courage to step in the tracks of a living legend at the club. I mean, it's hard to do better than Ferguson (the more easy to do worse) and people expect a lot from you.

Yep!

Kyoufu

I saw in todays Evening Standard that the sports channels are free if you are a subscriber to BT broadband, but you are still required to purchase the BT TV box which the paper says is £299!!

Why not watch it online?

Kenright sounds devastated.

Yep!

Oh please. After being at a club like Everton for 900 years WHO WOULDN'T go to a bigger club that has the infrastructure to compete for trophies?

Yeah, RESPECT.

Yep. Leaving Everton to join the second-best run club in the world, on the back of a eague season in which they've walked to victory, with a good youth setup and a lot of money at his disposal, a 6 year contract and a board who have to support him to back up their incessant boasts about how patient they are.

Brave man.

WJD

This has been such a surreal 48 hours.

Completely behind Moyes now he's confirmed, if he's good enough for Fergie then who are we to complain? Going to be a very interesting summer/season.

Nope

Just register your sky viewing card number and you can watch all 3 channels on sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom