• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Carshalton, so the few times I've been Selhurst I've got the tram into Croydon and then the bus into South Norwood

Ahh right, I'm in Coulsdon now. The few times I went we just walked up there. My mum used to turn and stare disapprovingly at the guys at the back of the stand who were yelling things like "kick the cunt" and "the referee's a wanker" lol. Was convinced we'd get stabbed.

How small the world is.

I still find the concept of not supporting a local team totally bizarre.

Depends what you mean by local, there are 2 my town of 15000, both are absolute nobodies. There is however a team 25 minutes down the road(Limerick) that are in the League of Ireland, the highest league in Ireland and I occasionally go to games when I can!

dc89

Arnie

I still find the concept of not supporting a local team (if one exists) totally bizarre. In American sports, the only non-FL team I support are the LA Dodgers and that's just because there wasn't a baseball team in Florida when I was a kid.
England's a lot smaller and denser than the US, though.

Propose an alternate reality where I was born today, I'd have Liverpool, United, or City in a 40 minute radius, or I could support Preston North End in league one. And that's not factoring in things like family ties and heritage which, if you consider the distances involved, is likely to exist.

Or you could just come from London and support United.

Linius

I think most people who have family that like football are likely to follow their dad's (probably the one with the most influence when it comes to football) club. I can't imagine a world where I would want to be different from my dad and support Feyenoord :lol

Kikarian

I still find the concept of not supporting a local team (if one exists) totally bizarre. In American sports, the only non-FL team I support are the LA Dodgers and that's just because there wasn't a baseball team in Florida when

I was a kid. I never got into any Chicago teams but I do follow the Austin Aztex (4th division soccer.. lol) to a certain extent. Have gone to some games. Attend all of the University of Texas' home (American) football games as well, but they're local to me now. Would never, ever consider rooting for them over FSU though.
You're right. United are my local team. I don't understand why people wouldn't support their local team if there's one available.

I know (usually) local teams aren't that good and people want to support a team that are good, but surely you're local team should priorities over the team you like just because they are good.

defel

Lets face it when your a kid you glory hunt and for any kid growing up in the 90s there was only one team in England that mattered

Wilbur

Banned
You're right. United are my local team. I don't understand why people wouldn't support their local team if there's one available.

I know (usually) local teams aren't that good and people want to support a team that are good, but surely you're local team should priorities over the team you like just because they are good.

Depends on more than location though; like I said, there wasn't really much chance of me going to see either my most local professional team (Palace) or my most local non-professional team (Carshalton Athletic or Sutton United) because my parents weren't into football and I was too young to say 'hey should we go see this game yadda yadda?', and by the time I was old enough to say that I'd already started watching it on television and started supporting United. Whatever, I can take the

because i know I support them out of good faith and not because I'm a cunt from London hopping on the bandwagon ;).

I think I know more people who went to my school that support Liverpool than United actually. Arnlold.

Meier

England's a lot smaller and denser than the US, though.

Propose an alternate reality where I was born today, I'd have Liverpool, United, or City in a 40 minute radius, or I could support Preston North End in league one. And that's not factoring in things like family ties and heritage which, if you consider the distances involved, is likely to exist.

Oh yeah, I totally understand why it happens there -- you guys have so many teams to choose from in close proximity. My NFL team (Tampa Bay) was over an hour away by car whereas you could encounter 5 football clubs in England in that amount of time. It's just a very foreign concept!

I still find the concept of not supporting a local team (if one exists) totally bizarre.

Small and denser countries. 1 factor. Much different distribution of wealth between cities. 2 factors.

It's only bizarre because you're comparing to America, where you have like 5, 6 or 7 teams in any sport that are located in different but nonetheless big cities, with big money behind that can sign big players + draft.

Wes

venison crêpe
Lets face it when your a kid you glory hunt and for any kid growing up in the 90s there was only one team in England that mattered

BP2851141@-408404.jpg

Although I supported them before that. I'd just like to have that on the record.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh yeah, I totally understand why it happens there -- you guys have so many teams to choose from in close proximity. My NFL team (Tampa Bay) was over an hour away by car whereas you could encounter 5 football clubs in England in that amount of time. It's just a very foreign concept!

Why do you support City, Noel?

Lightning

Banned
Glory hunting is only for those with low self esteem, imo. People who want to feel important themselves support a winning team feeling it gives them a status they otherwise wouldn't have.

I know a shocking amount of people who support teams purely to piss off their dads!

My own dad supports QPR because the rest of his family support Spurs. There was simply no way I was supporting QPR...

Ingeniero

I support my local team as well as Arsenal.

FBC Melgar

Also my dad, mom, sister and brother support Melgar, we are a happy rojinegra family.
But I have a lot of friends that support different teams than their siblings or parents.
I guess my family is a special one.

L1NETT

Daft Punk interview on Radio One in a couple of mins. Should be good.

--

Our new Kit is being presented next week, in time for Wembley. Hype!

Bo-Locks

England has a massive amount of professional clubs compared to other countries. There are 72 teams in the football league and literally hundreds (thousands?) of pro/semi-pro clubs around the country. I can understand why people may have a local team and still support a bigger PL/Championship club that they have an affinity with.

Wigan is a good example. It's a town in Greater Manchester that is traditionally a Rugby League town. Wigan FC up until 2005 weren't even in the PL; in fact, they were way down in divisions 3,4,5 etc until relatively recently. So if you're a kid growing up in Wigan, then sure, you might keep an eye on your local team, but you're naturally going to gravitate towards United or Liverpool who are in the top division, on TV every week, with massive followings and who are based just a few miles away.

It makes Wigan's current position and their FA Cup run even more remarkable.

Linius

My dad is very sentimental about football by the way. He still supports Ajax but he doesn't care as much as he used to. He can't handle how football has changed over the years with these kid millionairs and their big cars and model wives. And the fact more and more players these days say "yeah Ajax would be a great stepping stone to the big clubs in Europe" instead of "I would literally die for a chance to play at Ajax", that change in mentality basically.

Anyone elses dad having the same problem with today's football? :p

Must admit he has a fair point to some extent btw, but I don't know better than how things go today.

Meier

I think most people who have family that like football are likely to follow their dad's (probably the one with the most influence when it comes to football) club. I can't imagine a world where I would want to be different from my dad and support Feyenoord :lol

Agreed. My dad isn't huge into pro sports but he liked FSU due to Bobby Bowden (an equivalent to Fergie in terms of longevity although not entirely in terms of success) and then my brother went to school there so naturally I started liking FSU as well. I went to school at FSU since I loved it so much -- I couldn't imagine going to a different team's games while I was a student. I actually liked the U (Slizz's school) initially just because they were damn good and I was a little kid.

Why do you support City, Noel?

Yeah, I support Man City due to Noel and Liam.

Kyoufu

All of us should become glory hunters. The winning team in CL should be supported by everyone here until they are knocked out in next season's CL
every team except Bayern

I am a glory hunter. When we avoid relegation, that will be glorious.

Glory glory Newcastle United

Clegg

The Times are reporting that Scholes is retiring at the end of the season.

Two legends will have their last game at Old Trafford this Sunday.

Kikarian

Depends on more than location though; like I said, there wasn't really much chance of me going to see either my most local professional team (Palace) or my most local non-professional team (Carshalton Athletic or Sutton United) because my parents weren't into football and I was too young to say 'hey should we go see this game yadda yadda?', and by the time I was old enough to say that I'd already started watching it on television and started supporting United. Whatever, I can take the
I understand it with your situation but it's others who have the opportunity to see their local team every week who I find a little strange.

Liking and supporting a club is a weird thing, Copenhagen (where I also lived around for a while) and to some extend Chelsea I at least had some good experiences with when I was a kid that made me like them, Palermo on the other hand was just a team I started to enjoy watching and as I really hadn't had any reason to follow Serie A before that they acted as a bit of a gateway to it, never even seen them play in person.

Meier

Hasn't Neymar's goal scoring actually decreased this season?

Santos in general has been pretty poor this year. It's part of the reason the transfer rumors have heated up again so much (or hotted up as the weird Brits would say). He feels like he's being treated unfairly nowadays due to his stardom.

Kikarian

The Times are reporting that Scholes is retiring at the end of the season.

Two legends will have their last game at Old Trafford this Sunday.
Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

He's clearly not in any state to play football week in week out. He came back because he thought he had a few more seasons left in him, which he clearly doesn't and he looks like he's come to terms with that.

Will be a sad day on sunday.

Wilbur

Banned
Liking and supporting a club is a weird thing, Copenhagen (where I also lived around for a while) and to some extend Chelsea I at least had some good experiences with when I was a kid that made me like them, Palermo on the other hand was just a team I started to enjoy watching and as I really hadn't had any reason to follow Serie A before that they acted as a bit of a gateway to it, never even seen them play in person.

The Palermo way is just as good a reason to follow a side, like I said I started watching Villa first and then it was only two months or so before Yorke moved, so its through enjoying watching United that it happened.

It's nice to have a team in other leagues to watch as well; there's no way I actively 'support' teams like Juve/Roma/Fiore or Bilbao/Real, but I enjoy watching them and I'll look out for their results.

The Palermo way is just as good a reason to follow a side

It was at first, but genuinely started caring for it over the years. Although never to Copenhagen levels, where I feel physically ill at times when it's worst (and when i have to sit down and ask myself why i care so much lol).

Clegg

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

He's clearly not in any state to play football week in week out. He came back because he thought he had a few more seasons left in him, which he clearly doesn't and he looks like he's come to terms with that.

Will be a sad day on sunday.

Scholes played well during his initial comeback but he's been pretty poor this season. He never really should have returned as a player imo. He retired because he didn't have the legs to keep up with play. This was a season too far. He's also had a pretty shit run of injuries this year. I don't think he's played in three months.

He was an amazing player in his prime and deserves another good send off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom