• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Conn writes negatively about a bunch of clubs, perhaps he's just a cynical bloke? Sometimes cynicism is a good angle for observing truth.

Either way his current article raises some very sound points in a week that's been typified by absolute sensationalism.

fuenf

Yeah Khan's set-up definitely could've been better. Spock I thought was fairly good at being the hero and Kirk's sacrifice too was something bold enough. They should've kept him dead though. Although that then would just be calling out for a Star Trek III resurrection film

It's not a bad movie by any means, it's just not what I expected. The 5year mission should be an intriguing setup for the next one, though. I liked Spock being the hero and captain Sulu was hilarious, but unfortunately Spock didnt feel like Spock at all :( Overall it felt like the story was too big for one single film, Kirk losing the captain's chair was unneccessary and the Klingons felt like a late tack on to make up for cutting them out of the first one.

Conn writes negatively about a bunch of clubs, perhaps he's just a cynical bloke? Sometimes cynicism is a good angle for observing truth.

Either way his current article raises some very sound points in a week that's been typified by absolute sensationalism.
He's overly contrary far too often.

His article does raise some good points though - but they're based mostly on assumptions at this point.

kharma45

It's not a bad movie by any means, it's just not what I expected. The 5year mission should be an intriguing setup for the next one, though. I liked Spock being the hero and captain Sulu was hilarious, but unfortunately Spock didnt feel like Spock at all :( Overall it felt like the story was too big for one single film, Kirk losing the captain's chair was unneccessary and the Klingons felt like a late tack on to make up for cutting them out of the first one.
Spock isn't the same Spock as that one never had to see his planet destroyed in front of him which would undoubtedly have greatly changed the character, as he admits during the film about the anger etc. that he felt because of it.

Kirk losing the Enterprise I agree with was unnecessary.

Empty

ferhie handpicking his successor isn't a huge problem tbh. i trust him far more than gill and the glazers and they talked about it being unanimous so charlton seems to agree too.

the role of ferguson in the nebulous director/ambassadorial position is interesting. i really hope he has a similar role of just being there for advice like he has been for the random scottish managers who phone him up, but it's going to be hard for him to maintain restraint after being used to complete control and it being his club for so long.

Wilbur

Banned

I agree with him if I'm honest, I'm worried about whether Moyes will get to be his own man. But yeah, he's a cynical writer. I don't think its even a relatively fascinating article in light of the last week to be honest, because I think any of their writers could have written something with the same subject. I guess it was necessary because someone else hasn't written about it but its hardly revelatory, I've said as much a few times this week.

Arnie

He's overly contrary far too often.

His article does raise some good points though - but they're based mostly on assumptions at this point.
Isn't everything written on Moyes' United until the first week of next season, at the very earliest, based on assumptions?

This is just an assumption based on prior experience, and for that matter it actually holds more weight than 'United will be shit because Moyes is Moyes', or something of that ilk.
I agree with him if I'm honest, I'm worried about whether Moyes will get to be his own man. But yeah, he's a cynical writer. I don't think its even a relatively fascinating article in light of the last week to be honest, because I think any of their writers could have written something with the same subject. I guess it was necessary because someone else hasn't written about it but its hardly revelatory, I've said as much a few times this week.
Well unless you've read that book he refers to, which I haven't, you wouldn't be aware of the startling parallels between both situations.

For that reason I think it's worth reading.

fuenf

Spock isn't the same Spock as that one never had to see his planet destroyed in front of him which would undoubtedly have greatly changed the character, as he admits during the film about the anger etc. that he felt because of it.

Kirk losing the Enterprise I agree with was unnecessary.

I know, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around such a drastic change. Especially if it's one of the most iconic scifi characters ever. Btw. Simon Pegg was great and I loved how they changed his looked, he looked far more like original Scotty with his longer hair

Suen

I know you are joking but you made me check anyway, ten out of 25 in our first team are black.

And nobody gives a shit about the Russian Premier League.
Man how do you survive supporting that team
Bacon <3

Russian teams are ok bro, Zenit Spartak and CSKA are the future of Russia!

Isn't everything written on Moyes' United until the first week of next season, at the very earliest, based on assumptions?

This is just an assumption based on prior experience, and for that matter it actually holds more weight than 'United will be shit because Moyes is Moyes', or something of that ilk.

Well unless you've read that book he refers to, which I haven't, you wouldn't be aware of the startling parallels between both situations.

The assumption is with regards to how much influence Ferguson will have.

He might be right, but as is usual for Conn he approaches topics from a worst case scenario.

As you said, maybe he's just cynical, but it's quite tedious and it makes you cynical just reading his stuff.

Fwiw I don't the parallels are too strong. Obv I wasn't around at the time when Busby became a director but this situation is quite different, from the role Ferguson will have (at least officially) to the incoming manager.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm not going to criticise Conn. He's written an article that filled a vacuum for readers who were being swamped with articles mainly regarding Moyes' press conference, praise of Ferguson or is Moyes the right man. It's very good editorialising.

Here he's discussing how the relationship will work behind the scenes, something that has been restricted to a few lines in most other articles I've read.

At it's root he is asking the question have United, in their eagerness not to repeat past mistakes actually committing one by utilising Fergies wealth of knowledge? It's an interesting point of view and it's a narticle that he can point back to and pivot around for the next few years depending upon how well Moyes does.

Personally I don't think there will be a problem. Ferguson knows everything that went on after Busby and I think he's smart enough to know that A) his limitations with regards helping the club from inside the building and B) he's not up to all the games involved anymore. Frankly I think Fergie will love retirement. It sounds like he'll finally be able to travel and study places that he's had long seated interests in and he'll be able to watch top flight games around the continent in his ambassadorial (and high profile scout/agent for the club) role too.

Wilbur

Banned

I haven't read the book but I was fully aware of the Busby and McGuinness situations.

kharma45

I know, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around such a drastic change. Especially if it's one of the most iconic scifi characters ever. Btw. Simon Pegg was great and I loved how they changed his looked, he looked far more like original Scotty with his longer hair

I still don't like Pegg as Scotty, just don't think he can pull it off.

Arnie

The assumption is with regards to how much influence Ferguson will have.

He might be right, but as is usual for Conn he approaches topics from a worst case scenario.

As you said, maybe he's just cynical, but it's quite tedious and it makes you cynical just reading his stuff.

Fwiw I don't the parallels are too strong. Obv I wasn't around at the time when Busby became a director but this situation is quite different, from the role Ferguson will have (at least officially) to the incoming manager.

I'm cynical anyway, so that's of no great tragedy to me. Nor do I like United, so it doesn't weigh on my heart reading something of a slightly murkier crop.

I think the parallels are clear with the fact that Ferguson will have an office around Old Trafford (I'm sure it won't be the manager's office, but he's still knocking about), that it was Ferguson's decision alone to select Moyes as manager (as great as he's been as a football manager, how do those skills translate to selecting future legacy managers?), and that he's made recommendations on staff, too, beyond his retirement.

The stuff about walking past Ferguson's statue and taking seat in his stand is a bit of guff, but the rest has clear merit, in my opinion.

I haven't read the book but I was fully aware of the Busby and McGuinness situations.
As you would.

I'd rather have inserted one of my testicles into a bowl of boiling hot mascarpone sauce like a lone bauble of tortellini.

I'm cynical anyway, so that's of no great tragedy to me. Nor do I like United, so it doesn't weigh on my heart reading something of a slightly murkier crop.

I think the parallels are clear with the fact that Ferguson will have an office around Old Trafford (I'm sure it won't be the manager's office, but he's still knocking about), that it was Ferguson's decision alone to select Moyes as manager (as great as he is as a manager, how do those skills translate to selecting legacy managers?), and that he's made recommendations on staff, too, beyond his retirement.

The stuff about walking past Ferguson's statue and taking seat in his stand is a bit of guff, but the rest has clear merit, in my opinion.
I agree it's something which bears thinking about, it was discussed here briefly earlier.

More just a comment on his articles. Reason people poo poo Conn is because almost everything he writes (even about his own club) is pessimistic. Not surprising people don't really enjoy his pieces. He's probably just trying to be alternative but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more depth.

Wilbur

Banned
As you would.

I'd rather have inserted one of my testicles into a bowl of boiling hot mascarpone sauce like a lone bauble of tortellini.

You'd rather have inserted one of your testicles into a bowl of boiling hot mascarpone sauce like a lone bauble of tortellini than what

edit: oh Conn supports Man City

QUELLE SURPRISE

Arnie

I agree it's something which bears thinking about, it was discussed here briefly earlier.

More just a comment on his articles. Reason people poo poo Conn is because almost everything he writes (even about his own club) is pessimistic. Not surprising people don't really enjoy his pieces. He's probably just trying to be alternative but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more depth.
He probably doesn't even like football.
You'd rather have inserted one of your testicles into a bowl of boiling hot mascarpone sauce like a lone bauble of tortellini than what

edit: oh Conn supports Man City

QUELLE SURPRISE
Than read into United's history.

Unless, that is, said history is used to justify an overly negative picture of their future.

In which case take the sauce off the stove and sheath that bollock.

Man how do you survive supporting that team
Bacon <3

Russian teams are ok bro, Zenit Spartak and CSKA are the future of Russia!
Spartak won't even qualify for the Europa League next season(to my delight). All their fans have to look forward to is the new stadium that they'll open next year.

Lightning

Banned
I know you guys are poo pooing that David Conn article because it's pessimistically interrupting your David Moyes wank off, but it raises a few very good points worthy of consideration and discussion.
Is there a link to this article that I've missed? I would like to read it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Spartak won't even qualify for the Europa League next season(to my delight). All their fans have to look forward to is the new stadium that they'll open next year.

It is fun seeing how Yura Movsisyan's career has evolved. He had just left MLS when I first started watching the sport and now he is playing in Russia.

Wilbur

Banned
The Mrs is ill and it's making her snore like a bunged up boar. Help.

the nostril is perfect for your small amount foreskin

lol not even Europa League.....meanwhile Parma isn't even close to EL itself :(. So I guess Zenit and CSKA will be what we see in CL?

edit: Wilbury, meet Commander Jameson

image.php

It is fun seeing how Yura Movsisyan's career has evolved. He had just left MLS when I first started watching the sport and now he is playing in Russia.
Yeah, he's made some nice progress. He was a good player at Krasnodar, and now he's playing for Russia's most popular team. Good for him. If he was Russian, then he'd probably get a call up for the national team.
lol not even Europa League.....meanwhile Parma isn't even close to EL itself :(. So I guess Zenit and CSKA will be what we see in CL?

Yeah CSKA and Zenit for CL, Anzhi and Dinamo almost guaranteed EL, and 2 out of 3 of Rubin, Kuban and Spartak for EL as well. If Kuban win tomorrow then Spartak fall to 7th, aka out of Europe :)

Arnie

What's the situation with Alderweireld?

Thought he'd gone to Roma, but the gossip column have some story about him once again posturing for a move to Liverpool.

Suen

Yeah, he's made some nice progress. He was a good player at Krasnodar, and now he's playing for Russia's most popular team. Good for him. If he was Russian, then he'd probably get a call up for the national team.

Yeah CSKA and Zenit for CL, Anzhi and Dinamo almost guaranteed EL, and 2 out of 3 of Rubin, Kuban and Spartak for EL as well. If Kuban win tomorrow then Spartak fall to 7th, aka out of Europe :)
Funny how they went from being in this CL to having a hard time qualifying for EL but they didn't do well in CL anyway. Still it's nice to see some variety, I hope CSKA will do better this time, their game against Madrid was pretty good in CL 2011-2012. But these guys switch off on away-games, why I don't know. Is Dinamo the team Lev Yashin played for?

Arnie

We're going to see a Hendo/Jonjo midfield against Fulham, and you're all going to love it.

168639337ap004_liverpool_tr.jpg

By the way, if anyone could cut Suso's head out of this photo for perfect avatar usage I'd be extremely grateful. Perhaps get a bit of his jacket in to not make it look too strange.

Funny how they went from being in this CL to having a hard time qualifying for EL but they didn't do well in CL anyway. Still it's nice to see some variety, I hope CSKA will do better this time, their game against Madrid was pretty good in CL 2011-2012. But these guys switch off on away-games, why I don't know. Is Dinamo the team Lev Yashin played for?

CSKA didn't have the great Igor Akinfeev in net for those games against Madrid. Their back up keeper is ultra shit and I remember he let in a hilarious howler from a long Ronnie shot in the away leg. With 'feev they would have put up more of a fight.

They'll be in pot 2 for next year's CL so they should have a decent chance of making the knockout rounds again.

And Dinamo are indeed Yashin's team. They also have Aleksandr Kokorin, the great hope for Russia's future at the striker position. I no longer call him Koko so people don't think I'm fawning over a footy-gaf member.

Fintan

Going to be in an exam tomorrow during the game against Villa. I hate Saturday exams.

I'm sort of worried about it, I know we thrashed them earlier in the season but still, they have Benteke.

Arnie

united won't finish in the top four next season

Moyes is a bottler, but not that much of a bottler.

It'd take a manager of Hodgson proportions to drop off that much. Moyes won't get any silverware, though. The Hobbit was first published in 1937 and it holds true to this day.

Suen

CSKA didn't have the great Igor Akinfeev in net for those games against Madrid. Their back up keeper is ultra shit and I remember he let in a hilarious howler from a long Ronnie shot in the away leg. With 'feev they would have put up more of a fight.

They'll be in pot 2 for next year's CL so they should have a decent chance of making the knockout rounds again.

And Dinamo are indeed Yashin's team. They also have Aleksandr Kokorin, the great hope for Russia's future at the striker position. I no longer all him Koko so people don't think I'm fawning over a footy-gaf member.
I didn't even know that at that time. I was only aware of the swedish players :lol. But from what you're saying they are coming stronger so that's pretty good, looking forward to it. If Dinamo has what you call RUssia's future a striker position then they have to find one who can at least come somewhat close to Yashin's skills...imagine that!

Also I'm pretty sure you hurt Koko's feeling, he's the nicest Madrid member here :(

GolazoDan

I know you guys are poo pooing that David Conn article because it's pessimistically interrupting your David Moyes wank off, but it raises a few very good points worthy of consideration and discussion.
David Conn is a terrible writer. Which is weird because he writes the same article every time. Then again Zonal Marking does that too (if a team wins it's because of their defensive midfielder) so I dunno.

Watching the Treble DVD (well, it's on YouTube), had it on video back in the day. Spent my Christmas/birthday money in the club shop and bought the Treble video, the Italian Job one (more extensive highlights of the Inter and Juve games), maybe another video and a Beckham shirt. Don't think I really appreciated as a youngster just how much trolling we did over the course of that season. Lothar Matthaus, loooool. Poor bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom