• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awful Lambda. Can't you do anything about it? We should set up a football team on Madeira.

Madeira got 2 teams already: Nacional and Maritimo. both were in the EL this season.

also, CL debut for Paços Ferreira. their stadium:

Wes

venison crêpe
Some Villa news:

Barry Bannan reportedly told some people today that he'll be leaving in the summer. He doesn't have a relationship with Lambert and he has had several offers from preimer league team.

Saw it coming. His hollywood passing doesn't fit Lambert's style.

You guys keep advocating for Rooney to leave and yet you don't want him at Chelsea....what if Kagawa doesn't live up to expectation? what if he doesn't fit in? it has happened before with other quality players who couldn't fit in, for whatever reason. I would prefer he works on his fitness and stays.
Rooney doesn't give a fuck about Man United.

I don't give a fuck about him.

He needs to leave.

Linius

True and living just 100km away from Dortmund (/600km to Munich), doesnt help much either ;)

I must say I always find it weird to find out some dude from a small village more close to Eindhoven supports Ajax. But I won't judge them :p

But Germany is a lot bigger than our country, so I guess the fans are more spread over the country.

Kyoufu

Some Villa news:

Barry Bannan reportedly told some people today that he'll be leaving in the summer. He doesn't have a relationship with Lambert and he has had several offers from preimer league team.

Is he any good?

scently

Yep! Where are you? I'm rewatching it, on the last ep of S2. It's so fucking good, I laugh out loud about 10 times every episode.

Except I've said that every season for like 5 years now and he always comes back a tubbo. He doesn't have the right attitude any more.

In those five years he has contributed immensely to us winning the league. I am actually not against Rooney leaving if thats what he wants, my point is; How sure are you that Kagawa will perform as good as he has been in Dortmund. Now, you might say SAF hasn't really played him in that position and I will say to you that I am sure Fergie knows best. You lot are acting as if he was our worst player this season when, except for Carrick, RVP and maybe Raphael, he has actually been very good for us. Maybe not at his best (definitely not) but he still scored 12 goals and provided 10 assists in the league. His form has been awful towards the tail end of the season but he is the best partner RVP has had all season and scored some vital goals when RVP isn't performing.

Point is, we need to be sure we have a better player before we sell the one we have right now. Hell, we actually don't need to sell. Top clubs don't go around selling their best players.

Wilbur

Banned
Some Villa news:

I really rated Bannan but he's been poor when I've seen him this year. Lambert's doing a really good job I think, you would have won if it wasn't for Benteke being a toaster today.

yawn

Linius

Madeira got 2 teams already: Nacional and Maritimo. both were in the EL this season.

also, CL debut for Paços Ferreira. their stadium:

http://www.radioclube-penafiel.pt/op/image/?co=17558&h=d1ac8[/IMG[/QUOTE]

They go to the CL qualifiers right?

I remember AZ playing against them some years back in the EL (or maybe it was still Uefa Cup back then :P).

Find it weird Bayern are celebrating that community shield win so much.

Shows they're happy with what they've achieved so far this season and don't have the balls to go out and win the big one.

Dortmund will run em over.

:lol I'm not. No matter how many times people explain it to me, supporting 2 clubs seems impossible.

What's this In Moyes We Trust rhubarb then? You can repent by admitting that Downing is better than Sanchez.

tumblr_mamwz5c7So1qauzxmo1_500.jpg

6ft2". Muscular as fuck. Shaved head.

Yet he couldn't look less imposing. Anyone watch Alex Cross?

Arnie

Far Cry 3 time. Another easy Platinum it seems like

Who's been the best bit of business from January? Don't think there's been anyone as impactful as Jelavic or Cisse from last year, Coutinho is the best I can think of. Newcastle's Frenchies started off well, but I'll let Arnie take it from there :p
God I enjoyed being right about that one.

I always knew I'd be right about Moyes, it wasnt in question, but the Newcastle one was a punt, no more. Then I was right, then I had Gary Neville giving my theory some airtime, and it all came to a head against Liverpool of all teams.

Fry

Find it weird Bayern are celebrating that community shield win so much.

Shows they're happy with what they've achieved so far this season and don't have the balls to go out and win the big one.

Dortmund will run em over.

A Bullshitter right here.

jtb

Banned
Can't say I'm on board with the Podolski love.. He's been pretty underwhelming for me. Not a natural wide man, but still plays on the left so he doesn't offer much goal threat... It's not really his fault he hasn't been doing too well (though his work rate is shit... Can't finish games, gave up on tracking back after Anfield) but I've been mildly content with Giroud this season.

The only thing that really bothers me about Giroud (and this is a huge glaring flaw in his game) is how fucking slow he is. Because he is slow. And in today's game, there's a pretty low ceiling for immobile forwards, no matter how technically gifted you are (or, in Giroud's case, aren't).

I'll admit it's a strange feeling to finally have a real rival. Before Dortmund's recent emergence Bayern was the only consistent top team in Germany and Dortmund / Bremen / Schalke (+Stuttgart / Wolfsburg) all took turns challenging Bayern. But Dortmund's definitely there to stay now.

What really annoys me though, is that us Bayern-fans get called "Erfolgsfans" by our fellow Germans, I don't really know the English term... I think 'bandwagon fan' is closest. Which is odd because, for example I've been a Bayern fan before I even knew how succesful they were. Anyway, ever since Dortmund started winning things again millions of people suddenly remembered that they were lifelong Dortmund fans and started to ridicule Bayern and still dared to call us Erfolgsfans.... It's annoying but after last season I finally realized that it's just another way of showing respect ;)

I think the adequate comparison for Dortmund would be, if Liverpool suddenly started winning and playing great football again...

It comes with success, speaking of Liverpool.

In 2007 when Liverpool reached the CL final I remember very well many people coming to school with Liverpool kits. My brother had been a lifelong Liverpool fan at the time and he got caught up in the glory hunters and people thought he was a bandwagon fan.

It happens with United a lot too, many supposed United fans completely turned away once Ronaldo left.

Kyoufu

God I enjoyed being right about that one.

I always knew I'd be right about Moyes, it wasnt in question, but the Newcastle one was a punt, no more. Then I was right, then I had Gary Neville giving my theory some airtime, and it all came to a head against Liverpool of all teams.

But you're wrong. Pardew is the problem.

I must say I always find it weird to find out some dude from a small village more close to Eindhoven supports Ajax. But I won't judge them :p

But Germany is a lot bigger than our country, so I guess the fans are more spread over the country.
Lots of people I know are Ajax fans and I live 20km away from Rotterdam.

They go to the CL qualifiers right?

I remember AZ playing against them some years back in the EL (or maybe it was still Uefa Cup back then :p).

yep, qualifiers.

still, to put it in perspective it's like Swansea, Osasuna or Heracles getting 3rd spot in the league. good for them.

Wilbur

Banned
In those five years he has contributed immensely to us winning the league. I am actually not against Rooney leaving if thats what he wants, my point is; How sure are you that Kagawa will perform as good as he has been in Dortmund. Now, you might say SAF hasn't really played him in that position and I will say to you that I am sure Fergie knows best. You lot are acting as if he was our worst player this season when, except for Carrick, RVP and maybe Raphael, he has actually been very good for us. Maybe not at his best (definitely not) but he still scored 12 goals and provided 10 assists in the league. His form has been awful towards the tail end of the season but he is the best partner RVP has had all season and scored some vital goals when RVP isn't performing.

Point is, we need to be sure we have a better player before we sell the one we have right now. Hell, we actually don't need to sell. Top clubs don't go around selling their best players.

Rooney's only going to get older and poorer. Add to that the fact he reportedly wants to leave, the fact that he was willing to fuck us over and move to Manchester City, the fact that he obviously doesn't show the desire to turn up every season and be fit... I want him gone. He's not what I want a Manchester United player to be like.

It's a shame, because my only memory of my nan and grandad's old flat in Bognor is watching the MOTD when he scored that 30 yarder against Arsenal when I was 9, and I liked him and was so happy when he moved to us. I'll always remember the hat trick on his debut, his 30 goal season, his games against Milan, the pen against Arsenal, the volley against Newcastle, the lob against Middlesbrough... its hard for me to imagine a United without Rooney.

But it was hard for me to imagine a United without Scholes. It'll be harder to imagine one without Giggs. It'll be fucking devastating to imagine one without Ferguson. All are more important than Rooney, and none have acted out like a cunt repeatedly like Rooney.

Kagawa is much younger, can play behind the striker to the same effect Rooney can given time in that position, is more attuned to the style of play I think we're moving towards (or at least were before SAF's retirement). I'm just not a fan of him anymore; he's still a very good player, but he's not what I want from a Manchester United player.

Can't say I'm on board with the Podolski love.. He's been pretty underwhelming for me. Not a natural wide man, but still plays on the left so he doesn't offer much goal threat... It's not really his fault he hasn't been doing too well (though his work rate is shit... Can't finish games, gave up on tracking back after Anfield) but I've been mildly content with Giroud this season.

The only thing that really bothers me about Giroud (and this is a huge glaring flaw in his game) is how fucking slow he is. Because he is slow. And in today's game, there's a pretty low ceiling for immobile forwards, no matter how technically gifted you are (or, in Giroud's case, aren't).

I think we're seeing the death of blistering pace being all that important, as long as they're in the right system. Cavani, Falcao, Suarez, Ibra, Mandzukic, Van Persie. All of them have average pace as far as I can tell

fuenf

I know it's odd, but my hometown team sucked when I was younger and Bayern was the first German team I ever watched on television: 1-1 vs Spartak Moscow during the 94/95 CL campaign and naturally I decided to support the German team, became a Bayern fand and watched them advance 2-2 on aggregate over Goteburg before Ajax thrashed as 5-2 in the semis :(

That same season Bayern finished 6th in the Bundesliga and it would be another 2 season before they finally won the Bundesliga. Everybody at school etc. made fun of me because I always was the lone Bayern fan but I never wavered and always stayed with them.

Salazar

Point is, we need to be sure we have a better player before we sell the one we have right now.

No we don't. They're not 11 fleshy lego blocks of particular and predictable physical and emotional dimensions. Get a great player, sure, and get one who respects the club. We'll be fine. RVP was the upgrade on Rooney.

Fry

He's right though, look at Wigan today, money can't buy you a victory if you're up against superior desire and coaching.

Think Dortmund will do it, me.

You think he's right about Bayern celebrating a league title too much?

Fucking LOL you guys are getting desperate.

Wilbur

Banned
Stop yawning cunt.

I even complimented your avatar you shit named fucking turkey hole

My defence was a fucking chocolate teapot one year, next year strikers couldn't score in a whore house. Should do it this time, squad is pretty boss now. My low point was... coming 5th one year.

4th, 4th, 5th wow. How were you not sacked :lol :lol

You won nothing for four years?!!?! What competitions have you won?

Arnie

You think he's right about Bayern celebrating a league title too much?

Fucking LOL you guys are getting desperate.
I think you guys are celebrating it on here too much, that's for sure.

Someone throwing a pint of beer over another person grows old very quickly.

And no, Kyoufu, a team full of French mercenaries with no desire to win for the Newcastle shirt is the real problem.

I guess someone dropped them as baby's. What sane person from the Rotterdam area would support us?
Most of them had their parents move here from the Amsterdam area so they simply grew up as Ajax fans, but some nutters thought they should support Ajax even though their friends and family supported Feyenoord. Glory hunting cunts

Hell, I even know a few PSV supporters. Madness

Wilbur

Banned
I think we're seeing the death of blistering pace being all that important, as long as they're in the right system. Cavani, Falcao, Suarez, Ibra, Mandzukic, Van Persie. All of them have average pace as far as I can tell

Falcao is deceptively a speedy little fuck, give him half a yard and the ball's in the back of the net.

Linius

I know it's odd, but my hometown team sucked when I was younger and Bayern was the first German team I ever watched on television: 1-1 vs Spartak Moscow during the 94/95 CL campaign and naturally I decided to support the German team, became a Bayern fand and watched them advance 2-2 on aggregate over Goteburg before Ajax thrashed as 5-2 in the semis :(

That same season Bayern finished 6th in the Bundesliga and it would be another 2 season before they finally won the Bundesliga. Everybody at school etc. made fun of me because I always was the lone Bayern fan but I never wavered and always stayed with them.

Oh man, don't talk about school and football. I had a PSV fan (a girl even) in my class. During my complete high school periode Ajax won exactly one title and PSV four. So yeah, you can imagine how that went.

It doesn't matter how good or bad Rooney is anymore.

He isn't committed to playing for United.

He lies about how he wants to stay and loves the club and kisses the badge and all that shit and then he asks to leave. So he should leave. Honestly it's better for him and us.

Kyoufu

I think you guys are celebrating it on here too much, that's for sure.

Someone throwing a pint of beer over another person grows old very quickly.

And no, Kyoufu, a team full of French mercenaries with no desire to win for the Newcastle shirt is the real problem.

I know that's the real problem, but can we place the blame on Pardew? I don't want him anymore.

Also find me a Demba Ba replacement because we really need a striker.

Meier

My Porto are a selling side in FM as well. My net transfer spend thus far.

2020: $104m in, $302m out -- $198m
2019: $114m in, $136 out -- $22m
2018: $110m in, $274m out -- $164m
2017: $67m in, $101m out -- $34m
2016: $100m in, $209m out -- $109m
2015: $43.5m in, $167m out -- $123.5m
2014: $56m in, $9m out -- ($47m)
2013: $31.5m in, $34.5m out -- $3.5m
2012: $55m in, $43m out -- $(12m)

$595m in profit from transfers. Board takes most of it.. greedy bastards.

So if you're 10 or 20 seasons in in FM, are the football players randomly generated by then?

Yeah, there are still some real players.. many have moved on to become coaches. It's mostly regens by that point though. For some reason, scouting is kinda shitty in FM 2013. They did some weird thing so that it's more automated. Feels like 90% of my scouts never find anyone of use.

kharma45

4th, 4th, 5th wow. How were you not sacked :lol :lol

You won nothing for four years?!!?! What competitions have you won?

I've no idea, after coming 5th I thought I was a gonner :lol they just said it was disappointing to miss out on the CL and that was it. The board love me though for playing youngsters and generally playing attacking football, plus getting rid of dat debt.

I've won the FA Cup, Champions League, League Cup, Club World Cup and the Community shield.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is he any good?

He's a very good passer and can evade tackles but he can get shrugged off the ball easily and almost always looks for the hollywood pass rather than the percentage one.

Kind of like Charlie Adam but slighter and shorter.

I really rated Bannan but he's been poor when I've seen him this year. Lambert's doing a really good job I think, you would have won if it wasn't for Benteke being a toaster today.

I think he's forever destined to be a fringe premier league player or top championship player.

fuenf

It comes with success, speaking of Liverpool.

In 2007 when Liverpool reached the CL final I remember very well many people coming to school with Liverpool kits. My brother had been a lifelong Liverpool fan at the time and he got caught up in the glory hunters and people thought he was a bandwagon fan.

It happens with United a lot too, many supposed United fans completely turned away once Ronaldo left.

Yeah but that's what annoys me, fans who turn away because their club isnt succesful anymore or because there favorite player left. Maybe I'm looking through it with rose-tinted glasses because I'm a Bayern but I'll always support them regardless of their performance. If anything I'm more vocal about them when they lose than when they win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom