• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
ballack.jpg
Haha, just reminded me of this stupid song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlLriiRwims&#t=67s

sprinkles

As much as I want to see Hoeness lose, I just cannot imagine this Bayern side to lose another final. They just have been sooooo dominating for the whole season in all three competitions. Because I could not remember any other losses besides to Arsenal (0-2 at home), Bayer Leverkusen (1-2 at home) and BATE (1-3 away), I had to confirm this myself just now: it is true, Bayern just lost three times this season, in 31 Bundesliga, 5 domestic Cup and 12 Champions League games... scary..

Blablurn

This is what happens when you have too many Spanish players.

Barca could do with a strong English core.

Martinez was the best spanish player on the pitch. By far :-o Such a great performance. Love the fact that we don't have any suspended players this time.

Clegg

Our midfield hasn't a patch on Bayerns. Only Carrick would stand a chance of getting into their squad and even then he wouldn't be a starter.

Tactics also plays a massive part too. Bayern are so robust and physical. They controlled the game against Barca in a way that United simply wouldn't be able to. They were tight at the back and were able to cope with Barca's pressing perfectly. United were ripped apart when we tried to do that against Barca.

They played the perfect game against Juventus too. Bayern are at their peak right now. United have a long way to go before we're as good as that. First thing we need to do is strengthen the midfield. Rafael is developing nicely, Jones and Smalling are getting there and Evans is pretty solid. Vidic has a few more good years in him too.We need a quality left back though and our wingers need to seriously up their game too. But with Kagawa, Welbeck, RVP and Rooney we have a very good line up of forward players.

If this IS the "end" for Barca, this version of Barca anyway - they were the best team I've ever seen. The football for a couple of years was truly stunning.

But things change and they've been left behind a bit over the last 12 months. Let's see how they respond.

Yep.

A combination of circumstances, only one of which was unavoidable

Age (Xavi and Puyol declining)
Rubbish transfers (Truly rubbish)
Over-reliance on one player, leading to the decline of others
Obsession with tiki-taka at the cost of variety and unpredictability
Great manager who can't be bothered with the pressure

Tecl0n

F05.gif

Anyway, now that this match is over, the true match of the day is almost upon us boca-corinthians (OH GOD IT'S GOING TO HURT).

As much as I want to see Hoeness lose, I just cannot imagine this Bayern side to lose another final. They just have been sooooo dominating for the whole season in all three competitions. Because I could not remember any other losses besides to Arsenal (0-2 at home), Bayer Leverkusen (1-2 at home) and BATE (1-3 away), I had to confirm this myself just now: it is true, Bayern just lost three times this season, in 31 Bundesliga, 5 domestic Cup and 12 Champions League games... scary..

Bayern will demolish Dortmund.

FootballFan

After tonight?

I think maybe barca fans shouldn't talk shit. Madrid went down fighting at least.

Yes but the end result was the same.

Otherwise you are doing what Xavi does. "At least we lost playing real football". Still lost.

I dunno FF, his team scored three goals..

And got eliminated.

Madrid did have a better CL campaign though, we sucked through out the whole thing. People didn't really seem to notice though lol.

But both got eliminated so don't see how either could laugh. But go ahead.

3Sixty

Oh, I've only seen the first F&F, and then only once :p

By both, do you mean Rodgers and Kenny? If so, take a seat next to Lunchbox and kurtrussell :D

You're missing out on the greatest movie franchise of all time.

Well, I'll say you won't get anywhere near top 4 with either manager and leave it there.

Wilbur

Banned
If this IS the "end" for Barca, this version of Barca anyway - they were the best team I've ever seen. The football for a couple of years was truly stunning.

But things change and they've been left behind a bit over the last 12 months. Let's see how they respond.

In terms of results and the legend that followed them around, probably yeah. But like... I haven't really enjoyed watching them the last season or two, besides little pockets of play.

The 2008/09 team with Henry/Messi/Eto'o is one of my absolute favourites.

There's a good discussion guys; what is your favourite/best team you've ever seen? Could be yours, could be someone else's. That Barca one is definitely in the discussion for me, and the Arsenal sides of 2001/02 and 2003/04, and Chelsea 2004-06 were stunning teams.

For me, the United side from 2006-09, that run of three titles in a row, two Champions League finals, Ronaldo and Rooney at their peak as footballers, Edwin van der Sar having a late career renaissance, Rio and Vidic in full swing... those three years have been my favourite as a United supporter.

fuenf

Bayern fan wisdom: "Bayern beat Barcelona, they'll win the CL. Chelsea beat Barca and won it last year."

Fuck, it's true, we're done.

Nah it's a statistic that has been true for the past couple for years. The CL champion was either Barca or the team that beat them, I was shaking my head too when he was making that comment but it isnt as ridiculous as it sounded.

You're missing out on the greatest movie franchise of all time.

Well, I'll say you won't get anywhere near top 4 with either manager and leave it there.

I think given a few years with Rodgers, and a reasonable budget, we could. It became abundently clear that Kenny was unlikely to take us back there as time went on though

FootballFan

4-3 (won a leg)

7-0

One of them lost, the other got decimated.

Yes and Barca went out in glory vs Inter because we were 1 goal away and won the 2nd leg.

Wait, no. still got eliminated.

This is exactly the same points Xavi would make lol. "At least we played good football" or something.

After the past couple years, I'm kinda over the whole glorious failure stuff. No one gives a fuck about pride.

Yep. I was happy enough after beating Zenit 2-0, but for me it'll be remembered as 'that time Zenit knocked us out' rather than 'the time we nearly Remuntada'd'

fuenf

Conspiracy-theorist listen: Is it just a coincindence that we are getting a German final after a state owned TV station bought the German CL rights for the first time (& a massive amount of money)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom