• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

qindarka

Banned
FF9 remains the king.

Battle system is glacial though. It is the one FF game which I actively dislike the gameplay.

King of what exactly? Not being as terrible as FF8?

If FF9 is king then what is FF6? God?

FF6 has its own share of problems. It is rather annoying that how with all the backlash over FF7's excessive hype, it is FF9 and FF6 that are being held up as being perfect when they have significant issues as well.

pulga

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/30/doping-doctor-eufemiano-fuentes-sentence-shock

Spanish judge orders 200+ bags of likely doped sportsmen and women's blood to be destroyed. This evidence is from one of Lance Armstrong's doctors, gained from raiding his office. Witnesses say they saw lots of football stars going there from time to time.

The evidence is being destroyed to 'protect their right to medical confidentiality.'

Hmm.

There goes Messi's horce placenta.

bjaelke

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/30/doping-doctor-eufemiano-fuentes-sentence-shock

Spanish judge orders 200+ bags of likely doped sportsmen and women's blood to be destroyed. This evidence is from one of Lance Armstrong's doctors, gained from raiding his office. Witnesses say they saw lots of football stars going there from time to time.

The evidence is being destroyed to 'protect their right to medical confidentiality.'

Hmm.

With Deco's recent doping charges you'd think that more football players are or have been involved. The Spanish Government is doing this to protect the clubs rather than their 'right to medical confidentiality'.

rvy

Banned
1000x.jpg

rvy

Banned
rvy, what are your thoughts on Bruno Cesar? He's apparently joining Zenit in the summer.

Technically good, smart, makes the right decision more often than not. Great passer. Not sure if he'll adapt to Russia though, Brazilians and cold weather don't mix well.
If you can get him for 3 or 4 million €, I'd buy him.

Fady K

Forgot to post my congrats message to the Bayern fans here, historic win! Congrats boys. Good luck in the final to both you and Dortmund.

Barca bros, this humiliating loss is great news for us. No kidding. Sometimes when a club is doing a lot wrong it needs a kick in the ass to realize it needs to patch things up. In the case of the Semi Final exit, the bigger the ass kick the better really. Now let us hope the club actually LEARNS from this experience and starts making changes. Vilanova, unfortunately, did not seem to get the message from that 7-0 loss.

Now to respond to some missed posts from the last OT!

Oh the environments or rather the exploring parts of Downpour is easily the best, especially doing side missions which are often more interesting than the main stuff.

I did play shattered memories too, although the ps2 version which is supposed to be kind of shitty and ehm, the story was cool, but the puzzles were a joke and while the chases were a good idea I never actually felt scared and it just turned rather boring to do them.

Woodenlung, I hope you're doing well bro! That is great news for me about Downpour as exploration is one of my most important aspects by which I can enjoy a Silent Hill (or any horror/adventure game). Too bad the main story doesn't seem as interesting as the side stuff.

The puzzles in shattered memories were pretty poor, right. I never felt scared too bro - other than the fear of dying as I'd have to begin from the beginning of the chase! What I really disliked about Shattered Memories though is that there was very little interaction with the environment throughout the whole game. No notes, memos, etc of interest at ALL. Sure it is about immersing yourself in an experience that is realistic without picking up conveniently placed notes and such, but the stuff that was there to read was boring and pedestrian as hell!

Ahem, FadyK. Just for the sake of honesty, I think I liked Resident Evil 4 more than ICO last decade. But that's the only exception.

Resident Evil 4 was a condensed pack of fun and awesome.

Resident Evil 4? Great taste bro. Resident Evil 4, story-aside, was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. Ever. I love that game to bits. I only wonder how insanely perfect it would be if it was written well and had a decent story like the Resident Evil Remake (you MUST play that if you haven't!).

my only problem with this sentiment is that i can't like a club who has done damage to united, and all the years i've been watching united play i think all the big clubs have beat us at some point. bayern, barca, juve, madrid and obviously no team in the same league interests me./QUOTE]

I know what you mean sleepless. Reminds me of how awkward it was watching Barca play against Chelsea haha. I definitely prefer that they never play against each other.

Yea, it seems Xenosaga isn't very well liked here on gaf, which I don't understand at all. II was a bit of a let-down, but Rubedo and Albedo's relationship was explained and much more interesting than I had imagined. III should be seen as one of the greatest JRPG accomplishments. All the revelations about chaos, Mary, Wilhelm etc were fantastic. In addition to the story, the gameplay was also improved again after II. All in all, it was a great experience.

And yes, it's the BBC's Sherlock. It's a really fun show that comes on far too rarely.

Gambit, first of all congrats on the epic win yesterday. Your team were better than ours in each and every. single. way. Looking forward to seeing the final between your team and Dortmund's.

I agree with you 100% about Episode II. Not that great, but i'll be damned if I didn't enjoy the plot on the relationship between Jr., Albedo and Negredo. Was just brilliant and very emotional. I agree about Episode III as well. Shame it didn't go on, because I felt like the gameplay *REALLY* improved in Episode III. Was a big, big fan of the music as well, and the graphics were quite nice!

I'll be looking into Sherlock at some point, thanks bro.

Current OT responses

Meh. He's much better than our strikers though.

I feel you Yurt. Believe me, Torres has been a nightmare to watch for most of the season. And Ba can never be match fit because Rafa plays him like, once every four games or something even though he is far more effective.

Hopefully we both bulk up next season bro. It is pretty impressive how much damage both our clubs can do withOUT proper and effective strikers. Imagine how badass our teams would be if we had our own RVP.

I think it might be. When Mino stars talking bullshit and goes on and on about it ... something usually happens. And we're desperate enough for a big name to fall for it. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, mind. But I just don't see us giving PSG 15M€+ and Ibra a 7M+ salary. Marry's gonna Marry, we'll get Aquafresca.

I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world either, I'm just not that big of a fan of Ibra's. Well, for now Llorente is joining, so there's that at least. Ibra will definitely have to take a salary cut for this kind of thing. Would be interesting though if he redeems his career with a couple of great seasons at Juventus before he retires.

I've been saying that for a month.

Quiche and Fady are my gaf role models.

You are such a nice guy FootballFan <3 You and Quiche both rock honestly. I always enjoy megaposting and quoting you both.

Haha Sunhi did this in response to that gifcam program.. fucking brilliant.

Sunhi is damn great. GREAT.

Rewatching the first leg of Barca Bayern.

So much pointless tiki taka. Just fucking counter for once.

I'm a Barca fan. And I agree.

Wilbur

Banned
I wonder how deep the doping goes though, you know? Like for instance could Bayern and Dortmund's superiority this year be because of blood doping and stuff? After Armstrong I genuinely wouldn't rule anything out. Not that I'd run around accusing everyone, but I wouldn't rule it out. If he could do it then I can certainly believe footballers can.

Kenka

But this brings me to the next point: are Dortmund and Bayern players dopped as well ? We know that the German teams enforced rules about youth development to ensure success on the long term but how can we be sure they haven't modified the youngsters' diet to increase blood oxygenation, decrease in lactic acid production in the muscles or sensation of diziness after efforts by regulating sweat temperature ? All of this is possible, and I wonder if some kinds of therapy that may seem innocent to the players themselves actually are the fruit of intense research in laboratories. That would be simply taking advantage of financial muscles to create a gap in sportive performances, yes, but why aren't there more rules and controls to make sure everyone gets the same chances in youth academies across the world ?

I wonder how deep the doping goes though, you know? Like for instance could Bayern and Dortmund's superiority this year be because of blood doping and stuff? After Armstrong I genuinely wouldn't rule anything out. Not that I'd run around accusing everyone, but I wouldn't rule it out. If he could do it then I can certainly believe footballers can.
Absolutely. And if Bayern and Dortmund did indeed dope, I am all for the harshest decisions against them. You don't win a competition thanks to means people cannot have control over. It's straight cheating.
Anyway, we need tighter control on whatever is the set of rules chosen to ensure the game remains balanced. The FIFA should at least come with directives. This has lasted too long, you don't know anymore if you can cheer for a team with a clean consciousness anymore.

Technically good, smart, makes the right decision more often than not. Great passer. Not sure if he'll adapt to Russia though, Brazilians and cold weather don't mix well.
If you can get him for 3 or 4 million &#8364;, I'd buy him.

Thanks, yeah it sounds like this one should be fairly cheap( a rarity for us these days). I guess we'll reunite him with Witsel too, might help with getting adapted. Strangely enough, lots of Brazilians play in Russia, considerably more, than say, in the EPL. Being mercenaries is in their blood, I guess.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

It exists everywhere, across all the leagues.

Kolo, Rio, Fabio, Deco etc.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
@paddypower: The last time Barca last lost both legs of a European tie was in 1987, against Dundee United in the UEFA Cup. Aggregate was only 3-1 though.

FootballFan

:lol fuck that would suck. Dortmund and Bayern eliminated due to doping, Barca and Madrid automatically in the final.

Remuntada is still possible. Platini pls.

rvy

Banned
Thanks, yeah it sounds like this one should be fairly cheap( a rarity for us these days). I guess we'll reunite him with Witsel too, might help with getting adapted. Strangely enough, lots of Brazilians play in Russia, considerably more, than say, in the EPL. Being mercenaries is in their blood, I guess.

Whatever works for him. Great player, especially if you can get him cheap.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I always wondered how doping would affect a sport that is not purely endurance. But then if you talk to most coaches they say it's the most important factor in football - you lose focus and decision making worsens when you're fatigued.

Wilbur

Banned
:lol fuck that would suck. Dortmund and Bayern eliminated due to doping, Barca and Madrid automatically in the final.

Remuntada is still possible. Platini pls.

Barcelona are definitely dopers. And Valdes has all the information, that's why they're reluctant to get rid of him.

bjaelke

There have been significant differences in the way Germany and Spain have handled prior doping scandals. Both on a national level and on club/team level. The punishment and desire to move away from doping dominated German cycling throughout the past decade (Telecom, ZDF, Jan Ulrich etc.). The same cannot be said for Spanish cycling, and the Fuentes case has me wondering if it's a matter of mentality altogether and if said mentality also exists in football.

Wilbur

Banned
I always wondered how doping would affect a sport that is not purely endurance. But then if you talk to most coaches they say it's the most important factor in football - you lose focus and decision making worsens when you're fatigued.

Well of course with a player like Messi, he's always going to have had that skill. But he wouldn't have been a professional footballer without the growth hormones, so even early on shit like that was prevalent you know? Not saying that had an effect at all, but just that physically they needed to make a change.

And then you see Barca pressing the fuck out of everyone with no lack of concentration, or Dortmund able to run all day. It's a bit suspect considering just how much money is in the sport. I assume it would be hard to cover up though as well, taking into account just how many people are at a football club.

Wilbur

Banned
In today's guardian

These are German football's proudest days in more than 15 years. An all-German Champions League final, Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund, was confirmed on Wednesday when Bayern overwhelmed Barcelona, most people's favourite other team, 3-0 at Camp Nou

Words cannot express my fury. I must strike like a hawk and tear apart this wrong.

Everyone's favourite other team is Swansea. Rite?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Looks like we're in for Adem Ljajic with the Wanyama money if he goes. That would probably be our best signing in years lol. Wonder how much he's on now?

FootballFan

Well of course with a player like Messi, he's always going to have had that skill. But he wouldn't have been a professional footballer without the growth hormones, so even early on shit like that was prevalent you know? Not saying that had an effect at all, but just that physically they needed to make a change.

And then you see Barca pressing the fuck out of everyone with no lack of concentration, or Dortmund able to run all day. It's a bit suspect considering just how much money is in the sport. I assume it would be hard to cover up though as well, taking into account just how many people are at a football club.

Don't be jealous pls.

Also, under Pep you'd have a point. Our pressing this season has been shit. The steroids have taken their toll.

Wilbur

Banned
As long as Jones keeps making those faces...I can't not suspect the club of taking some form of drugs before every match!

:looool

Liverpool.

Inter.

Looks like we're in for Adem Ljajic with the Wanyama money if he goes. That would probably be our best signing in years lol. Wonder how much he's on now?

Fiorentina Ljajic?! Would surprise me if he moved from there. Definitely won't if they get CL.

FootballFan

In today's guardian

Words cannot express my fury. I must strike like a hawk and tear apart this wrong.

Everyone's favourite other team is Swansea. Rite?

My favourite other teams are Liverpool, Napoli, Malaga and Bayern. I don't give a crap if they lose but I like to see them win.

YNWA

Gambit

Yeah. Wasn't really defending it more like saying it wasn't as bad as others were trying to make it out to be.

And you are right. Dress, personality... all in all, Lulu is awesome.

Gambit, first of all congrats on the epic win yesterday. Your team were better than ours in each and every. single. way. Looking forward to seeing the final between your team and Dortmund's.

I agree with you 100% about Episode II. Not that great, but i'll be damned if I didn't enjoy the plot on the relationship between Jr., Albedo and Negredo. Was just brilliant and very emotional. I agree about Episode III as well. Shame it didn't go on, because I felt like the gameplay *REALLY* improved in Episode III. Was a big, big fan of the music as well, and the graphics were quite nice!

I'll be looking into Sherlock at some point, thanks bro.

Completely agree. I really wish it would have gone on with a new cast, but the same universe. And then concluded a second trilogy with another final of epic proportions.

Thanks for the congratulations. It was really a great game. Personally, I think it did Barca a world of good. They needed a decisive result to instigate some changes. If it was only a 1-nil loss they'd delude themselves into thinking "Messi will fix it next time".

I don't see it as a changing of the guard in Europe at all. But it will change the Barca team for next year. They'll be just as scary as they used to be the last couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom