• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

The way the english media works;

1. Build up a player (in this case, Bale) to superstar status. Claim he is unmatched in talent and suggest he should be playing for a big European club & winning trophies.

2. Wait for the inevitable links to the likes of Real, and fan the flames until the story is in your face 24/7 in a display that puts GAF's transfer muppetry to shame.

3. Become extatic if/when the player does leave, because they've finally got their big story.

4. Lament the poor quality of the PL 3 months later when we are struggling in the CL group stages, saying club X were idiots for selling player Y.

5. Repeat.

Clegg

Goal UK ‏@GoalUK 5m
EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United are to offer Wayne Rooney a new four-year contract http://bit.ly/10umkOH #MUFC

Noooooooooooo.
If we can reduce Rooney's wages with this deal then I'm all for it. He's still a good player. He's just not 200k a week good.

And we had better not be thinking of converting him into a midfielder. He's been nothing but average in all of his performances there. Keep him up front where he's genuine quality.

Gambit

Did you guys see how Ribery brother ran on the pitch and celebrated with the rest of the team before the security guards came and picked him up? Ribery even went to the guards to help him come free lol. Didnt work. But in the end he managed to give him his matchworn shirt lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hphRRiHvt9U

Funnily enough, Ribery said today that it WASN'T his brother. Just some guy who spoke French and seemed harmless to him.

Ribery is a strange guy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
24723_120977687915710_4384784_a.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Nah it's the right thing to do. 16 goals and 15 assists from the fatman is a more than acceptable foil to RVP.

We need to sign a CM and a Winger and maybe even a LB before a striker.

Just edited to say his stats were great, but the problem is that I don't think Rooney is happy to be foil, and I'm not really happy with him always taking up a space in the squad where either Kagawa can flourish or a centre midfielder could be bought.

Agree with you on them though. Winger coming in is Zaha, don't think we'll buy another one, we'll just promote Adnan and play him out wide. Think we'll play more Powell and buy a midfielder. No more left backs considering Fabio is coming back and Butt is around.

One midfielder for sure, one young CB, and one of either a striker or a winger is coming.

Fady K

Well, he got injured, Lewandowski stepped up and Barrios was the backup striker. He didn't like that and went for the money. I still don't get it, he'd have done great for some EL side with chances for CL qualification. But to be fair, I don't really know if he had good offers, his reputation dropped rather quickly. People were saying he's not good enough soon after his injury which was just not true

That's too bad, really. From what I saw of him he was great - even as a back up striker at Dortmund I recall him scoring an amazing hat trick. I was shocked when I found out he did not hit 30 yet!

Shevchenko, Kezman and Mutu all failed at Chelsea. Shevchenko being our previous transfer record. And I guess there was Sutton, but that was way back.

The number is not that high. I was expecting at least 20 strikers based on the way Laboured said it haha.

59 millions? For Falcao? What the fuck? I take it back then

Jeez, why are prices so inflated these days? Same with Götze or Martinez

My feelings too, ElTopo. Too much money being paid for some footballers these days. And I say that as a fan of Falcao. My club did not help in this case when they paid 50 freakin million pounds for Torres (that's 60 million Euros for God's sake).

Btw the value I'm bringing up for Falcao is based on the media's estimates. I never heard what his official value would be from Atletico Madrid.

Well the media are always saying how Falcao would cost 45-50 million pounds. Atletico bought him for about 40 million euro and his reputation has only increased since then. Even with their financial troubles, he would cost a bomb.

Yeah, he sure is expensive...would be our most expensive player if we got him I think.

Yeah I get it, but it makes me wonder what those teams could achieve if they looked elsewhere for good players.

I wonder the same. Many of Chelsea's players who are doing REALLY good these days are some of the cheapest as well. Our best striker cost us less than 8 million (compared to Torres who cost 50).

Di Marizio:

Benzema is impossible because Perez likes him.
Di Maria could be Chelsea bound
Higuain and Coentrao are 'possible'.

No to all the of the above.

iFzOsHVZHKyZS.gif

No thanks Madrid!!

I won't be the first to tell you this, but you should try to play Chrono Trigger. THe DS version is the definitive one and I replayed it only a couple months ago. So good.

Loved Cross as well, especially because of the music.

I would love to play the iOS version if they release it on the iPad! Otherwise I'll go with the DS version :D yes, Cross had such beautiful music. The same composer recently composed music for the new Vita game Soul Sacrifice.

Goal UK ‏@GoalUK 5m
EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United are to offer Wayne Rooney a new four-year contract http://bit.ly/10umkOH #MUFC

Noooooooooooo.

I can picture you reading this Viva.

i7vXHjQbZN30X.gif

Clegg

United have released their financial results for the third quarter.

Sponsorship revenue has increased by 52.2% and the club has recorded record third quarter revenues of £91.7m.

Hixx

God damnit one of the wheel struts has broke off my chair. I can't swivel on it any more. What the FUCK is the point in this chair now

Also who is this Maritimo defender Goal reckon we are signing in the summer

Sounds shit. Stop signing french players pls

dc89

Andy Green ‏@andersred 1m
On an annualised basis, #MUFC's wage bill is up £36m vs last year.

Who the fuck is getting paid so much? Even if RVP is on £250k a week that covers less than half of that.

Maybe we've already started paying Falcao.

Clegg

United's revenue has hit new highs and its only going to keep climbing. We still have the new kit and training kit sponsorship deals to come into effect. Our kit manufacturing deal is also up for renewal. United could be looking at an extra £100m per year just from those three sponsorships.

arkon

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/30/doping-doctor-eufemiano-fuentes-sentence-shock

Spanish judge orders 200+ bags of likely doped sportsmen and women's blood to be destroyed. This evidence is from one of Lance Armstrong's doctors, gained from raiding his office. Witnesses say they saw lots of football stars going there from time to time.

The evidence is being destroyed to 'protect their right to medical confidentiality.'

Hmm.

It'll be a travesty if they get away with it.

Wilbur

Banned
United wage bill up £36m on last year. Holy shit! How?!

Andy Green ‏@andersred 1m
On an annualised basis, #MUFC's wage bill is up £36m vs last year.

Who the fuck is getting paid so much? Even if RVP is on £250k a week that covers less than half of that.

Maybe we've already started paying Falcao.

Would players like Smalling, Welbeck and Jones have hit wage rises the older they've got? Not that it would account for all of it... lots more staff?

That's an awfully high increase

Would players like Smalling, Welbeck and Jones have hit wage rises the older they've got? Not that it would account for all of it... lots more staff?

I'll repeat:

"primarily due to new player signings, existing player wage increases and growth in commercial headcount"

i.e. very expensive commercial types who are securing and maintaining these insane commercial deals internationally.

Hard to say. Welbeck signed a new contract this season I think so he definitely got a big pay rise. RVP and Kagawa will be on decent money.

I would hazard a guess that board members have taken a big bonus and that's where alot of that expenditure comes from. Just a guess but makes the most sense to me.

Also as Laboured says - club opened a new commercial office in the Far East this year.

Still, it's a remarkable jump.

Wilbur

Banned
I'll repeat:

"primarily due to new player signings, existing player wage increases and growth in commercial headcount"

i.e. very expensive commercial types who are securing and maintaining these insane commercial deals internationally.

Oh okay. Still, it's fucking staggering we can still make so much money when our wage bill must be so high

Clegg

The increase on wages is town to new signings and wage increases for current playing staff. And then the corporate types are taking a lot of money.

United have £36m cash in bank and this will increase sharply in the next few months when the end of season tv payments are added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom