• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
For pricks like you that care about graphics

I don't give a solitary Suarez SHIT

Looks and sounds fucking amazing

I understand not caring about random technical stuff, but when everything look like fucking dog shit when more than 2 meters away from you, yeah that's a big annoyance.

To be fair the screens look slightly better without so much compression

Ah, getting rid of that sure helped. Why would gameinformer post that shit lol. Still hate the GTA engine, everything is so fucking ugly and we know it will have lots of frame rate drops like any other GTA on console on top of it.

Hixx

RSG_GTAV_Screenshot_207.jpg

RSG_GTAV_Screenshot_206.jpg

This gen needs to end

the compression on those shots makes them look loads worse than they are

Wilbur

Banned
I understand not caring about random technical stuff, but when everything look like fucking dog shit when more than 2 meters away from you, yeah that's a big annoyance.

Doesn't look like dog shit though, looks exactly the same as almost every game this gen haha. Just fuck it. Fuck graphics, they're not important.

Doesn't look like dog shit though, looks exactly the same as almost every game this gen haha. Just fuck it. Fuck graphics, they're not important.

Graphics are very important. They're never going to make a bad game good, but it can add layers of quality to one, not just the tech side but art style as well which has at least been slightly improved going away from the brown poo filter that was on top of everything in GTA4.

Linius

Oh and guys, before I forget to mention. Boards of Canada is coming with a new album this year (in june iirc). Having high hopes for that one.

faridmon

As far as AOTY goes, we already have albums from Deerhunter, Savages and Nick Cave that are top of the bill. And Arcade Fire, The National and Arctic Monkeys are coming with new albums as well. Kanye and Daft Punk will have to be very good to make it to my top ten.

edit

almost forgot Kurt Vile

For me, The Album of the year so far is The new selftitled Sakanaction Album, Joy of Machineries by British Sea Power, White Orchid by French Films, På vei hjem by Razika, Strange Moon by A PLace to Bury Strangers (its a cover EP though), The New Life by Girls Name and When it was now by Atlas Genius.

Wilbur

Banned
Graphics are very important. They're never going to make a bad game good, but it can add layers of quality to one, not just the tech side but art style as well which has at least been slightly improved going away from the brown poo filter that was on top of everything in GTA4.

Art style is more important than quality of graphics. But its like saying Donkey Kong isnt playable anymore because the graphics aren't good. Or something that looks shitty like Metal Gear Solid, that looks so fucking rancid now. But - I haven't played it - people still cum all over it. Now its either nostalgia talking, or the fact that the gameplay is so good the graphics don't matter.

Which is what all games should be judged by. Something can have nice graphics but if GTA V looked fucking turd and still played great - so like San Andreas now - then I just don't see why anyone would care about the look of it. Games are a unique medium in that sense though, much like the way anything under 7/10 is deemed unplayable by the majority.

Linius

For me, The Album of the year so far is The new selftitled Sakanaction Album, Joy of Machineries by British Sea Power, White Orchid by French Films, På vei hjem by Razika, Strange Moon by A PLace to Bury Strangers (its a cover EP though), The New Life by Girls Name and When it was now by Atlas Genius.

I'm positive you're gonna add Savages to the list. Post punk is back.

Art style is more important than quality of graphics. But its like saying Donkey Kong isnt playable anymore because the graphics aren't good. Or something that looks shitty like Metal Gear Solid, that looks so fucking rancid now. But - I haven't played it - people still cum all over it. Now its either nostalgia talking, or the fact that the gameplay is so good the graphics don't matter.

Which is what all games should be judged by. Something can have nice graphics but if GTA V looked fucking turd and still played great - so like San Andreas now - then I just don't see why anyone would care about the look of it. Games are a unique medium in that sense though, much like the way anything under 7/10 is deemed unplayable by the majority.

I think people can accept that the graphics from games back in 1981 might not be up to today's standards.

Release a game today that looks like Metal Gear Solid 1 and it would be slaughtered, and rightly so.

Wilbur

Banned
I think people can accept that the graphics from games back in 1981 might not be up to today's standards.

Release a game today that looks like Metal Gear Solid 1 and it would be slaughtered, and rightly so.

But then why then a game like GTA V - coming out on a console that was released in 2005/06 - is being judged as shitty graphics when its doing well compared to games that came out then?

I played MGS1 recently but had to play it on the Vita since it looked bad on an HD TV, no unplayable but I opted for the better version, and it still played great. Great game that holds up really well. No nostalgia here.

I think graphics matter and saying it if it looked like SA and played well it would be fine is okay but not a feasible way of thinking about it. I think the problem is people look for texture quality, post processing, shadows etc. Thus is where it breaks for me and I lose interest and just want to get on with the game.

It came a while where I cared but it almost stopped me from playing games.

Linius

Man, these previews on GTA make me excited. Buying businesses to make money. Planning heists (complete with hiring a crew and stuff) to make money. If you want to buy a helicopter you'll need to buy a villa with helicopter path first. Lots of real estate out there. Fun stuff like base jumping. Man this gonna be so much fun.

But then why then a game like GTA V - coming out on a console that was released in 2005/06 - is being judged as shitty graphics when its doing well compared to games that came out then?

Because you expect games to look better as the generation progresses. Devs get much better near the end of a console's life at maximising the graphical potential. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, it's not a particularly great looking game by any means though.

I guess the fact that we're so close to next gen doesn't help, we've been given a taste of much better graphics for over a year now. When you're always looking forward it can be hard to look back.

Especially for us master race people, like me and Wooden :p

Meier

Am I the only one that likes WTT? :(

Great album. 808s is still my favorite Kanye but MBDTF is amazing as well. June 18th can't come soon enough. I bought College Dropout on day 1 and had the little bear sticker from the packaging on my PC monitor during my last semester of college, lol.

Art style is more important than quality of graphics.

Art style and graphics are not separate things, mang.

But its like saying Donkey Kong isnt playable anymore because the graphics aren't good.

No it's fucking not. As I said graphics can add to a game and can in some games be very important, not bad game that relies on graphics rather than gameplay but games like for example silent hill that relies heavily on the atmosphere. Old ass games with great art styles can still look great today but obviously some games really don't need much graphics, I love football manager and that's bareboned as fuck in that department. But a game like GTA where I'm supposed to have a good reason to just fly around over mountains and stuff other than constantly be shooting other people? Or just drive through the huge world for the 500 time? Yeah I would like that to at least look decent by todays standards.

No games shouldn't just be judged on gameplay, that's fucking ridiculous for the reasons I already stated. Again if I can use Silent Hill as it's one of my favorite games which plays terrible most of the time (at least when the gameplay is not puzzles), the story and atmosphere (as a result of music and graphics) makes it enjoyable.

The reason anything under 7/10 is unplayable is a mixture of reviewers having no balls in the industry and that games are so fucking expensive that people can't bother with anything but the very best,

faridmon

Any of you guys been to Rome?

Going next week, any tips?

Yeah, I went there last year.
Trasteverre at night!
Maxxi Museum is sight to be hold. Designed by Zaha Haddid
St. pietra Square and Vatican was a meaty as well.
Just walking around central Rome will get a lot of sigh seeing. Pantheon, Spanish square, The fountain...

Its just a wonderful city to absorb its culture and history!

I guess the multiple protagonists means they have to use regenerating health. Fair enough.

It's not really clear how the switching during missions works.

Wilbur

Banned
Any of you guys been to Rome?

Going next week, any tips?

Plug went I think, didn't he? I'd love to go.

Art style and graphics are not separate things, mang.

Yeah they are. Art style is how a game looks, graphics are how good a game looks. Art style is like specifically if something like Okami or Zelda looks like that, and graphics are technical things. Or at least that's exactly how I would define them.

No it's fucking not. As I said graphics can add to a game and can in some games be very important, not bad game that relies on graphics rather than gameplay but games like for example silent hill that relies heavily on the atmosphere. Old ass games with great art styles can still look great today but obviously some games really don't need much graphics, I love football manager and that's bareboned as fuck in that department. But a game like GTA where I'm supposed to have a good reason to just fly around over mountains and stuff other than constantly be shooting other people? Or just drive through the huge world for the 500 time? Yeah I would like that to at least look decent by todays standards.

And it does look decent by today's standards. How do those screens not look decent :lol?! How does GTA IV not look decent by today's standards? It's just a notoriously fickle industry that moves too quickly for any kind of short term retrospective to be accurate.

No games shouldn't just be judged on gameplay, that's fucking ridiculous for the reasons I already stated. Again if I can use Silent Hill as it's one of my favorite games which plays terrible most of the time (at least when the gameplay is not puzzles), the story and atmosphere (as a result of music and graphics) makes it enjoyable.

Shit like music and story obviously matters, but the most important thing in games should always be gameplay. I always equate it to books; I can happily sit there and watch shit telly/films, listen to shit music because they're passive acts. But when it comes to reading a book, it has to be a good book because I'm actively reading each word, taking it in. Same with games. I couldn't play a game if it played like shit. It could look and sound beautiful, but it could play shit. It would just feel shitty. If a great game looked and sounded like shit but it played well, I'd have a much higher tolerance for it.

That art style of something is very much a part of its graphics?
Art style and graphics are both part of the visuals, yes, but they are two completely different things. Graphics are the difference between a FIFA13 and let's say FIFA06. Art style makes the difference between Borderlands and a CoD.

Meier

Saw Foals with Surfer Blood and Blondfire the other night. Great show. Had seen the first two before but this was my first time hearing Foals do their TLF songs. Fantastic.

Blondfire were a surprise. I liked some of their songs when they were known as Astaire but had no clue it was the same band until I wikied them. We came late so I guess if they played their modest hit (L-l-Love) that they had as Astaire, it was before we arrived.

That pops up if people pirate Game Dev Tycoon :lol

I'm sure there are versions out there on the internet that don't have that problem.

GTAV has me really really excited man. I'm excited for Last of Us and Beyond, but GTA V just looks like the best game of the gen.

pulga

Banned
I will rank the best GoT girls ITT:

10. Shae
PM if you wanna ser her get reamed in a barn

9. Melisandre
CI_71596_1354233525.jpg

Id spend a night of darkness and terrors pounding dat shadow baby birthing cunt.

8. Osha
tumblr_static_osha.jpg

Best thing Theon has ever done in his life

7. Cersei Lannister
Cersei-Lannister.jpg

I just want to cum all over her goddamn twitchy eyebrow

6. Ygritte
3rbpb8.jpg

Would eat her smelly bush out.

5. Missandei
Thanks for aging this character up, producers! Hnnnggg

4. Sansa Stark
game_of_thrones_22.jpg

Ive got some lemon cakes in my pants, baby.

3. Margeary Tyrell
got-game-of-thrones-30420329-500-281.gif

No duckface in sight as she wraps her lips round my fat pink mast.

2. Doreah
Viserys-Targaryen-and-Doreah-house-targaryen-29560333-800-450.png

It is fucking known

1. Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Cock
Bow before the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom