• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbz

Dunno. They have to score 5 goals.

Madrid "only" needed 3.

And they're facing a better team too.
It's a tall order but Barca are more than capable of scoring 4+ goals. There is no way they will play as bad as they did in the first leg. If they can keep a clean sheet though is doubtful but you never know on the night.

Wilbur

Banned
Flop might be harsh, but you have to admit that if he leaves, he did not do as good as expected of him with the team he had.

And really, you make it sound worse than it is, one flop out of 5 teams is not bad at all and shouldn't change how people see him. Still one of the greatest coaches.

I just think when you look at it with context as opposed to 'one league, no CLs', it might not be what was expected, but its hardly any less than that. Of course in the history books it'll just go down as one league, no CLs... which is the problem. But there's certainly extraneous circumstances as to why he hasn't won everything he's gone for yeah.

What happened to Coentrao btw? In the 2010 WC, he was a genuinenly exciting, intelligent fullback. Has he completely regressed, or was he playing beyond his normal ability in South Africa?

I thought he was really good at the Euros last year as well to be honest. Just looks more comfortable playing for Portugal I think. Marcelo was superb last season, injuries have fucked him over this year.

FootballFan

I'm watching S1 of Spartacus again, such an entertaining show. It's a shame Andy Whitfield passed away, perfect Spartacus. Fuck you cancer

So good. If you get over the weird special effect style they use, then it's so easy to love it.

Andy Whitfield was great. <3

I memorized his speech at the end of season 1, hopefully Messi does the same speech before the Bayern game. Remuntada.

arkon

The expectation of bringing home a European Cup, yeah, that was the dream. After six successive second round exits, he got to the semi finals three times and went out in difficult circumstances. Not damp squib exits, and all against great teams.

He has an extraordinarily expensive side yes. But money's not everything in football and that's been proven time and time and time again.

The Spanish players hating him? Ramos doesn't seem to, Alonso doesn't seem to, Arbeloa doesn't seem to. Just Casillas really.

The press hate him for... I don't really know why. I think they were wrapped up in the Barcelona mythologising and because he wasn't saintly Pep they hated him. I genuinely think they've demonised him a tad.

'Destroying' the club's structure was for the best, definitely. It was part of why every manager was sacked there without getting a chance to bed in.

Of course he was brought in to win the European Cup. He hasn't. It's not great. But it's not a failure. If he can't do it, then who realistically can? Who is better than him? Sure, you might be able to fluke it like Chelsea did. Or you might come across one of those little pockets of time and football when you're at the peak of your history, like Barcelona in 2011 and Dortmund this year. But there's arguably no one better in the world than Mourinho. And I just don't think he's failed at all.

His actions haven't helped him. This was the guy that was poking Tito's eye out after a game or whatever.. You're excusing him for quite a lot but some of the shit he brings on himself.

Of course he was brought in to win the European Cup. He hasn't. It's not great. But it's not a failure. If he can't do it, then who realistically can? Who is better than him? Sure, you might be able to fluke it like Chelsea did. Or you might come across one of those little pockets of time and football when you're at the peak of your history, like Barcelona in 2011 and Dortmund this year. But there's arguably no one better in the world than Mourinho. And I just don't think he's failed at all.
hmm you're verging on saying they don't have a team good enough to win the CL.

They do.

faridmon

The expectation of bringing home a European Cup, yeah, that was the dream. After six successive second round exits, he got to the semi finals three times and went out in difficult circumstances. Not damp squib exits, and all against great teams.

I agree with you, in some cases, but what will Madrid themselves think. That is what matter. You can say that he went out against great clubs, Won the League, Won the cup, played good football, bought great players on cheap, met Jesus in heaven, Beat Battletoads in one try, but Madrid will still think he underperformed,because they wanted one thing and one thing only: CL Cup. They even specified it when they hired him, that is what they were aiming for and Mou took the job fully knowing this.

By that standard he failed. He could win everything else in the world, but he didn't get that, he failed in Madrid's eyes.

jtb

Banned

He has an extraordinarily expensive side yes. But money's not everything in football and that's been proven time and time and time again.

The Spanish players hating him? Ramos doesn't seem to, Alonso doesn't seem to, Arbeloa doesn't seem to. Just Casillas really.

The press hate him for... I don't really know why. I think they were wrapped up in the Barcelona mythologising and because he wasn't saintly Pep they hated him. I genuinely think they've demonised him a tad.

'Destroying' the club's structure was for the best, definitely. It was part of why every manager was sacked there without getting a chance to bed in.

You don't spend 300m on players and blame extraneous circumstances. You spend 300m on players in order to make sure you're never in a position where extraneous circumstances can derail your campaign to begin with.

I think the biggest problem is that Mourinho has built a one-dimensional team. The only thing they can do is counter-attack. They're not particularly physical, they're pretty terrible at defending (which is shocking, considering this is Mourinho we're talking about), they're not particularly aggressive (this is a team with Pepe and Ramos on it...). It's obvious that this team was built to beat Barcelona, but... it's come at the cost of being unable to do anything else. And when you consider Barceona destroyed themselves (and despite being utterly unable to beat Madrid, Barcelona are still going to win the league title) the whole one-dimensionality of the team was completely pointless. It's cost them.

To go along with that, I really do think that Ferguson used Ronaldo far more effectively than Mourinho has.

There is no one better in the world than Mourinho, not in my eyes at least. But that doesn't change the fact that I think it's fair to say he's failed at Madrid. Unrealistic expectations? Sure. But he knew that when he took the job and he still failed to meet them.

They do.

and if they don't, that's Mourinho's fault. He has the money, he has the transfer authority&#8212;and his buys have simply not been particularly good. Modric? Not the plan B he wanted. Coentrao? By most accounts, pretty terrible.

Clegg

They do.

Ramos needs to sort himself out.

He was awful against Welbeck and then against Lewa. He was genuinely dreadful. Khedira looks like a plodder against top level opposition and their fullbacks are nothing special.

Their attacking players are more then good enough though.

You don't spend 300m on players and blame extraneous circumstances. You spend 300m on players in order to make sure you're never in a position where extraneous circumstances can derail your campaign to begin with.

I think the biggest problem is that Mourinho has built a one-dimensional team. The only thing they can do is counter-attack. They're not particularly physical, they're pretty terrible at defending (which is shocking, considering this is Mourinho we're talking about), they're not particularly aggressive (this is a team with Pepe and Ramos on it...). It's obvious that this team was built to beat Barcelona, but... it's come at the cost of being unable to do anything else. And when you consider Barceona destroyed themselves (and despite being utterly unable to beat Madrid, Barcelona are still going to win the league title) the whole one-dimensionality of the team was completely pointless. It's cost them.

To go along with that, I really do think that Ferguson used Ronaldo far more effectively than Mourinho has.

There is no one better in the world than Mourinho, not in my eyes at least. But that doesn't change the fact that I think it's fair to say he's failed at Madrid. Unrealistic expectations? Sure. But he knew that when he took the job and he still failed to meet them.
Very good points.

Suen

He's not a failure. Yes he was brought to win CL, yes he has failed in that yet he managed to bring us to a level were we could threaten and win against Barca, took us to semis three times and have managed to win the league. As you already mention he didn't spend a huge some of money either that some people like to say. This is not to mention that a part of the club most likely hate him along with the fans. They bought him for the CL win yes but to ignore all his other contributions, let alone the CL contributions would be extremely unfair, unless people prefer to have managers who get sacked within one season because they can't win the tenth CL title, I'm sure that will help us more and make us more successful :)

Given the circumstances and environment he has had to go through as a coach of this club, especially with the ridiculous and unrealistic standard many of it's fans and the hierarchy of the clubs holds (and will continue to do), he's done a rather fine job. I think your posts are pretty much spot on.

Wilbur

Banned
His actions haven't helped him. This was the guy that was poking Tito's eye out after a game or whatever.. You're excusing him for quite a lot but some of the shit he brings on himself.

Of course, yeah. He's a cunt. I don't think its necessarily linked to any of his failings though. It was a real shitty shitty thing to do, fucking awful. But it's not that relevant anymore really.

They do.

Oh of course they do. But so do Bayern, Dortmund and Barcelona this year. Only one will though.

On paper, Chelsea didn't last year, but they did win it. It's a mix of playing really well and a crapshoot really isn't it, winning the CL.

Del Bosque made it to 4 semis, won 2; gets kicked out, Mou makes it to 3 wins none and people claim he is not a failure XD

The two aren't linked though. Mou hasn't failed, neither did Del Bosque. Trying to rationalise anything that goes on at the top of Real Madrid is just a thankless task.

Of course, yeah. He's a cunt. I don't think its necessarily linked to any of his failings though. It was a real shitty shitty thing to do, fucking awful. But it's not that relevant anymore really.
That incident might not have but his general behaviour and approach has definitely been a hindrance.

Ramos needs to sort himself out.

He was awful against Welbeck and then against Lewa. He was genuinely dreadful.

and yet...

HYJHId6.png

Slizz

After Madrid won the league last year I really thought this was their year for the CL. How much has changed?

I guess the locker room situation was truly a problem, hard for any manager to control especially with athletes making more than you.

arkon

Well I think that type of thing goes some way to explaining why he might be demonized in the press.

jtb

Banned
After Madrid won the league last year I really thought this was their year for the CL. How much has changed?

I guess the locker room situation was truly a problem, hard for any manager to control especially with athletes making more than you.

Mourinho probably makes more than everyone at Madrid bar Casillas and Ronaldo.

and kaka lol

Wilbur

Banned
Gonna try and break this post up jtb, but its a very good one, you make some great points.

But its football, you know? You can have a perfect squad, the best midfield in the world, arguably the best player there ever has been, and get fucking countered by a long Frank Lampard pass and a Ramires chip. It happens. There's circumstances that happen on a football pitch out of the control of board members and bank rollers. It's not an excuse per se
(yes it is)
, but its just that when you're coming up against top top level opposition in the Champions League, I don't think money is as important as it is on a league level when the majority of teams are just overwhelmed by the talent you've been able to buy. Hence why Madrid and City have done well domestically all things considered, but maybe not at CL level. When they get to the stage they do, Madrid have come up against two teams that have spent nearly as much as them net spend in the last three years. Only Dortmund really have the excuse of not being in a financial position to match Madrid's spending.

Agree with you here for the most part, yeah. But I think Mourinho is the type to have a plan B during a match, and I think he did a good job today with the Kaka/Coentrao tactical switch. It just became too much for Dortmund, and apart from the obvious 'bring an attacker on', it really was quite clever how they went about it.

Hard to argue considering how many goals he's scored, I think. I think Ferguson used the team around Ronaldo more effectively than Mourinho has, which is potentially down to lack of experience compared to SAF/Ronaldo being a better player now than he was at United and therefore dependancy and trust in him is multiplied?

With this, I just think that... I don't know. It's hard. The expectation was that he would win a Champions League. But its easier said than done, and I think in context there's justifiable reasons why he hasn't won it every year, especially last year and the year before. 2011 in particular was an even tie before the red card, and last year was an exit on penalties, not like Barca having absolutely no plan B against Chelsea.

This year has certainly been his worst, both in the CL and the league. But one relatively bad year on balance in three years? Pretty good to me considering the competition.

Suen

I think jtb also makes some good points. Coentrao has been horrible at club level compared to his national side. It actually reminds me of Higuain who looks much better when playing for the national team :lol

The part of being a one-dimensional team definitely holds some truth to it. As much as we rely on Ronaldo we rely too much on counters and while we don't have those we just become slow with our attack and more than often look lost on what to do. That is something that needs to change a bit.

Suen

So it was written. Defeat Pep's Bayern in the 2014 CL final

Heynckes has been linked with a return to Spain when he departs the Allianz Arena at the end of the season, with former clubs Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao believed to be interested in his services, and the 67-year-old suggested he would be happy to go back to coaching in La Liga.

"When you coach big teams in Spain, you also incorporate that culture to understand everything better," he said. "I know I can return to Spain whenever I want.

"I won the Champions League with Real Madrid and I also had great achievements with Athletic. In Barcelona, there's exists a huge sporting culture, especially after the Olympics. It’s a wonderful city with a huge amount of culture, so I love being here."

Heynckes pls, use that magic of yours again and give us the tenth title.

FootballFan

Mou built a team to beat Barca, ignoring the fact that there are 18 other teams(yes Hitcher 18 :p) in the league and many different ones he will face in Europe.

Mou was being naive to think all he has to do is beat Barca and everyone else will be easy.

Sure now he can beat us, but what the hell does he do when he faces a team that gives Madrid the ball and waits to counter them? Pray that Ronaldo does something.

Man United did it and nearly beat them, Dortmund did it again and again, many La Liga teams did it this season etc. The only team that would be too stubborn to give them the ball while allowing them to counter every time is Barca.

Fucking Tiki taka lol.

Remuntada.

I can't agree with that tbh.

Over both legs I thought he did a poor job against Lewandowski. I'll have to watch tonights game again and pay more attention to Ramos.

He did a pretty good job elbowing him in the face 4 times. Maybe it counts that.

Suen

I can't agree with that tbh.

Over both legs I thought he did a poor job against Lewandowski. I'll have to watch tonights game again and pay more attention to Ramos.
You reminded me, I'm fucking lost on how many times they let Lewandowski unmarked. You'd think we would have learned from the first leg but we did exactly the same this leg. We're really lucky Dortmund didn't score or it would have been really embarrassing. Overall pretty bad defense across both legs.

What happened to Coentrao btw? In the 2010 WC, he was a genuinenly exciting, intelligent fullback. Has he completely regressed, or was he playing beyond his normal ability in South Africa?

he was also much better when he was at Benfica. i would gladly take him back but Melgarejo grew into a pretty decent left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom