• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Suarez covering his mouth?
a_suarez-lucas_300x400.jpg

Meier

Sky Italia are saying the Fernandinho deal was completed in January supposedly. I do recall him saying he would play football in Manchester next back then.

jtb

Banned
Gonna try and break this post up jtb, but its a very good one, you make some great points.

But its football, you know? You can have a perfect squad, the best midfield in the world, arguably the best player there ever has been, and get fucking countered by a long Frank Lampard pass and a Ramires chip. It happens. There's circumstances that happen on a football pitch out of the control of board members and bank rollers. It's not an excuse per se
(yes it is)
, but its just that when you're coming up against top top level opposition in the Champions League, I don't think money is as important as it is on a league level when the majority of teams are just overwhelmed by the talent you've been able to buy. Hence why Madrid and City have done well domestically all things considered, but maybe not at CL level. When they get to the stage they do, Madrid have come up against two teams that have spent nearly as much as them net spend in the last three years. Only Dortmund really have the excuse of not being in a financial position to match Madrid's spending.

Agree with you here for the most part, yeah. But I think Mourinho is the type to have a plan B during a match, and I think he did a good job today with the Kaka/Coentrao tactical switch. It just became too much for Dortmund, and apart from the obvious 'bring an attacker on', it really was quite clever how they went about it.

Hard to argue considering how many goals he's scored, I think. I think Ferguson used the team around Ronaldo more effectively than Mourinho has, which is potentially down to lack of experience compared to SAF/Ronaldo being a better player now than he was at United and therefore dependancy and trust in him is multiplied?

With this, I just think that... I don't know. It's hard. The expectation was that he would win a Champions League. But its easier said than done, and I think in context there's justifiable reasons why he hasn't won it every year, especially last year and the year before. 2011 in particular was an even tie before the red card, and last year was an exit on penalties, not like Barca having absolutely no plan B against Chelsea.

This year has certainly been his worst, both in the CL and the league. But one relatively bad year on balance in three years? Pretty good to me considering the competition.

Against Barcelona, Madrid were thoroughly outplayed over two legs. Red card or not, they were terrible. and the red card had been coming—if you stick Pepe in midfield and your tactics boil down to "kick, foul, and kick some more," then someone is going to get sent off. It's inevitable.

Against Bayern, Madrid had a good spell of 20-30 minutes or so at the Bernabeu before they switched off and played for penalties.

Against Dortmund, they were destroyed in the away leg and barely threatened until the last ten minutes.

And if you want to talk about red cards, I'm surprised you haven't brought up the Nani incident. Madrid could have easily been out in the Round of 16 had it not been for a very generous slice of luck. Mou capitalized on it, but they were outplayed up until that point.

I don't think you can call it luck at that point. They just have never been good enough, never been the better team, so it doesn't surprise me that they haven't gone through to the final.

Arnie

Read all the posts and, as I did last night, still maintain that he's failed at Madrid.

He's built a team of lemons that aren't cohesive and dominating like his teams of the past. I honestly can't tell you a time when I've been floored by a Real performance under Mourinho.

FootballFan

Yeah. He did well there.

The technique, the timing, the awareness of the referee, these things have to be considered when giving the player ratings.

You add to that, that he was one yellow away from missing the final, yet still risked and managed to do that. You have to give it to him. MotM easy.

Suen

The technique, the timing, the awareness of the referee, these things have to be considered when given the player ratings.

You add to that, that he was one yellow away from missing the final, yet still risked and managed to do that. You have to give it to him. MotM easy.
Very good post. People still don't understand how good Ramos is, he's the player with most red cards in Real Madrid's entire history and today you could see why. He's sharpening his techniques.

He's a great defender in my opinion, he's just a super-cunt as well.

faridmon

OK, I am thinking one album right now of Amazon! Even though I do have a lot of most wanted list, I can't decide.

I will get the first recommendation here (providing I don't have it)

arkon

The technique, the timing, the awareness of the referee, these things have to be considered when giving the player ratings.

Very good post. People still don't understand how good Ramos is, he's the player with most red cards in Real Madrid's entire history and today you could see why. He's sharpening his techniques.

You both make good points. Very well put.

FootballFan

Yep lol. If only he came to Barca with Casillas.

He is a cunt, but adding a cunt to a bunch of cunts won't make a difference. He can score goals, can play RB/CB and pretty good defender USUALLY.

Better than having Masch, Song, Busquets, Adriano or Bartra there in CB.

Suen

Yep lol. If only he came to Barca with Casillas.

He is a cunt, but adding a cunt to a bunch of cunts won't make a difference. He can score goals, can play RB/CB and pretty good defender USUALLY.

Better than having Masch, Song, Busquets, Adriano or Bartra there in CB.
I'm actually surprised by Biscuit this season, from some of the Barca games I watched he's done good and all those Biscuit-cunt moments seem to be gone. Did he pass the title to Alba?

Wilbur

Banned
I'm actually surprised by Biscuit this season, from some of the Barca games I watched he's done good and all those Biscuit-cunt moments seem to be gone. Did he pass the title to Alba?

Hasn't been a cunt in ages. Best DM in the world

BUSI

Dinokill

Kaka probably has more goals/assists than both of them combined for their new teams lol.

Still a flop though. He used to be so good.

Then why are Dortmund and Bayern doing so well when they are far superior to the teams beneath them. Great logic lol.

Bayern and Dortmund are playing against better competition.

Ozil shits the bed everytime against decent to great teams. He is overrated as fuck.

Suen

Not sure, but nobody could have predicted that Torres would be so underwhelming. His fee was justifiable.
I wouldn't know if his fee was justifiable but it's amazing from how he really went from good to shit. I actually feel sorry for the guy, I don't know if it's him or the team but it feels like so much wasted quality that's now all gone. Should let him go to Liverpool.....or perhaps they will send him back to Atletico if they get Falcao over the summer.

faridmon

Not sure, but nobody could have predicted that Torres would be so underwhelming. His fee was justifiable.

I saw him play against Villa at Villa Park, when he was at Liverpool just before his move, and honestly that was the worst performance I have witnessed from a professional player. Couldn't be bother to make a run and Gerard was really getting frustrated.

I knew he would be bad at Chelsea from that day!

FootballFan

He is becoming really vital.

Busquets' replacements aren't as good for us. Masch can tackle, but can't pass. Song can pass, but can't tackle. Busquets can do both very well.

Xavi missing is less of a blow than missing Busquets imo. Or maybe I am crazy.

Wilbur

Banned
Vidal, Schweinsteiger, Bender.

Is Gundagon considered a DM? If so, he'll be there in a season or 2.

Only Bender is really a DM out of all of them I think.

Strictly, anyway. Vidal and Schweini are box to box. Gundogan is really good behind the striker.

Suen

Kaka probably has more goals/assists than both of them combined for their new teams lol.

Still a flop though. He used to be so good.
I sometimes wonder if Kaka really just became lazy or if he just lost all his energy or if he simply never felt that he fitted in Madrid (especially with how passionate he seems about Milan when being interviewed from time to time). What a waste of money....just imagine how much better our squad would be if he was the same player he was at Milan (or even half of that).
The thing is that I feel like he's really trying to be of some importance and really is trying to contribute to the team and so I always feel like we should give him more chance and more playtime but perhaps it's just his price that is making me feel sympathetic to him so I can be in an endless denial of how bad the transfer ended being.

arkon

Bayern and Dortmund are playing against better competition.

Ozil shits the bed everytime against decent to great teams. He is overrated as fuck.

Malaga almost knocked Dortmund out of the competition and they're fifth in La Liga last I checked. Spanish club sides have also done well in European competition comapred to their German counterparts in recent times. Especially the Europa league teams.

I'm not writing off Hulk yet, not until next season anyway. I mean he hasn't been dreadful this season, 8 goals 6 assists in 25 games, but he hasn't totally fit into Spalletti's system, and has terrible chemistry with Kerzhakov. Still, he's been better after the winter break than before so there's hope for the future.

arkon

I'm not writing off Hulk yet, not until next season anyway. I mean he hasn't been dreadful this season, 8 goals 6 assists in 25 games, but he hasn't totally fit into Spalletti's system, and has terrible chemistry with Kerzhakov. Still, he's been better after the winter break than before so there's hope for the future.

Those are decent stats for a first season in a new League and country. Maybe just needs time to acclimatise.

He's a mercenary, so don't expect much from him.

FootballFan

Deco failed a doping test. Sheeeeiiiit.

Malaga almost knocked Dortmund out of the competition and they're fifth in La Liga last I checked. Spanish club sides have also done well in European competition comapred to their German counterparts in recent times. Especially the Europa league teams.

And Barca shat on 3rd placed Leverkusen 7-1. Does that mean the Bundesliga teams are shit? Nope. But people are crazy and once they make up their mind you can't change it.

You can't convince G-Unit EPL is good, can't convince doicare that ManUtd have flaws, can't convince confuziz managers matter etc.

Valencia, Sociedad, Betis, Atletico(not when they play Madrid), Malaga are very good, and teams like Sevilla and Bilbao still have great players, though it isn't working this season.

Those are decent stats for a first season in a new League and country. Maybe just needs time to acclimatise.
I can only hope. However, 2 points.

1) His stats look better because he has a goal and 3 assists in 2 cup games against the last placed team in the RPL and against a team from a lower division.

2) He's a bit like Giroud this season, seems to have decent stats but if you watch him play you'd know he hasn't been that great.

But you are right, playing in Russia is a lot different than playing in Portugal, he needs more time before we fully judge him.

He's a mercenary, so don't expect much from him.

Any "big" purchase we would have gotten last summer would have been a mercenary. Nobody dreamed of playing for Zenit when they were growing up.

Suen

People are being harsh against La Liga because the only thing they hear about is Real Madrid and Barcelona and the only ones who usually win the league and make it furthest in european competitions are these two. Fair enough, it's kind of a two-team league from that viewpoint but it's fucking bullshit how people suddenly dismiss every other team there. There are some great teams there who not only do well domestically when you consider their finances and players compared to the big two but can and have done well in europan competions. Valencia continues to be a good team despite hard times (and this shitty season), Sevilla can also be rather surprising. Malaga has been incredible this season and has been getting better since some seasons ago. Betis and Sociedad has shown this season that they can still play well and so that is something to look forward to. At this point it just seems like blind hatred from some.

Suen

Any "big" purchase we would have gotten last summer would have been a mercenary. Nobody dreamed of playing for Zenit when they were growing up.
That is because everyone dreams of playing for Spartak, the one and only true Russian team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom