• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

I don't they are in deep shit at all. Martinez is a very good manager, he just didn't have much resources to do anything at Wigan. They are a tiny club, to even be where they are is a fantastic achievement.

So is Jagielka/Fellani/Baines all go? Then what, they have like £50m in the bank?

Maybe Martinez brings Mccarthy with him to Everton and they have £40m to invest. They still have a good squad, they will be fine.

The 1 question which I think a lot of people have to answer who think Martinez is a brilliant manager is this: What has he done to get that praise?

Yeah he won the FA cup but when you look at it you win 6 games and you've won the FA cup. Now for me people can fluke the FA cup/League cup and get praise for doing so, what you really have to look at is his PL experience. He's kept Wigan at 17th in the league for 4 years in a row.

He's fluked relegation for 4 years straight, for me he isn't good enough for a top 6 side. We are really going to see how good he is now at Everton and I think he's really going to struggle.

jtb

Banned
The 1 question which I think a lot of people have to answer who think Martinez is a brilliant manager is this: What has he done to get that praise?

Yeah he won the FA cup but when you look at it you win 6 games and you've won the FA cup. Now for me people can fluke the FA cup/League cup and get praise for doing so, what you really have to look at is his PL experience. He's kept Wigan at 17th in the league for 4 years in a row.

He's fluked relegation for 4 years straight, for me he isn't good enough for a top 6 side. We are really going to see how good he is now at Everton and I think he's really going to struggle.

when you do something 4 times in a row, you kinda have to move it out of "fluke" territory and into "hmmm whatever he's doing, it's working" territory. and we can't overlook the fact that Wigan basically has no money, so keeping them in the premier league was a pretty major accomplishment, just as Moyes keeping Everton in the position they're in is a praiseworthy feat.

rodvik

Strangely enough Villa and Liverpool fans both had the same opinion of him which was part of the reason both clubs turned him down.

Oh wait according to Whelan he turned us both down!

when you do something 4 times in a row, you kinda have to move it out of "fluke" territory and into "hmmm whatever he's doing, it's working" territory.

Then again, what was he doing between August and March to motivate the team? Clearly his Wigan team is capable of getting good results for a (relatively) sustained period, so why couldn't he instill that belief and motivation in them before they had the threat of relegation hanging over their heads?

@rodvik, getting Rodgers is the best decision FSG have made. I have complete faith in BrenRod

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to get nervous since it looks like Martinez will be the manager. I don't think we'll drop as much as Villa did. Hopefully he brings McCarthy and McManaman with him.

Koko

Banned
I always find it difficult to make major formation changes within the pause time limits. :mad: I should try this in the future though. I once tried to go to 5 at the back since I had a large lead and it was just a total clusterfuck to change to. :lol

Once you know exactly what you changes are it gets easier. I usually do it during halftime. Besides you can alwways be a cunt and use the three pauses one after another. :lol

rodvik

Then again, what was he doing between August and March to motivate the team? Clearly his Wigan team is capable of getting good results for a (relatively) sustained period, so why couldn't he instill that belief and motivation in them before they had the threat of relegation hanging over their heads?

@rodvik, getting Rodgers is the best decision FSG have made. I have complete faith in BrenRod

Agreed. Silly TV series aside he is a very good manager. He was my first choice for Villa, but happy enough with Lambo.

Tc91

when you do something 4 times in a row, you kinda have to move it out of "fluke" territory and into "hmmm whatever he's doing, it's working" territory. and we can't overlook the fact that Wigan basically has no money, so keeping them in the premier league was a pretty major accomplishment, just as Moyes keeping Everton in the position they're in is a praiseworthy feat.

Scrapping in a relegation battle each year isn't good enough for Everton, a club who's ambitions is to play in the Champions League. We're going to really see how good Martinez is and I think he's going to fail.

Moyes didn't have any money either at Everton and neither will Martinez.

The amount of Everton fans who are against this appointment shows it all really, things could get really rough very quickly for Martinez.

Strangely enough Villa and Liverpool fans both had the same opinion of him which was part of the reason both clubs turned him down.

Oh wait according to Whelan he turned us both down!

Yeah I couldn't believe Liverpool were going to hold talks with him, that would of been incredible.

I'm starting to get nervous since it looks like Martinez will be the manager. I don't think we'll drop as much as Villa did. Hopefully he brings McCarthy and McManaman with him.

There's a title-winning manager on the market, and he already has a house in Liverpool. He'd be a fan of Anichebe as well.

Clegg

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1m

And the fifth, the craziest, the nuttiest, the totally bonkers (piece of news), you will have to wait cause I'm searching for a confirmation

Look at this masterful motherfucker. Stalling for time to gain more retweets and new followers.

Genius

Lightning

Banned
You'll probably get Maloney as well who is quite good.

Martinez was put in a shit sandwich at Wigan. No matter what he achieved his best players were to be sold, losing Moses at the end of last season for example, but he is a very good manager who deserves a chance at a bigger more stable club. I am really glad that Everton are going to give him the chance to further prove himself and if you maintain Jagielka at least, maybe Baines as well, then he will have a good platform where he won't leak goals and Everton have some flair and you add players Martinez will surely target and you could be a big surprise package next season.

Clegg

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 39s

Still no confirmation about the bonkers news. But meanwhile, there is another news. Tonight is just like that.

Yes, Tanc!!!

You whore those re-tweets.

Hixx

So we're apparently taking Inter's chief scout duder too.

On the article one of the comments is:

"The owner of Sunderland can buy Juve, Milan and Inter and close them."

I think Ellis should definitely do this.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Our next signings should be:

Ter Stegen
ter%2Bstegen%2Bborussia.jpg

Iñigo Martinez
Inigo-Martinez-image.jpg

both very young are already great players, and with immense potential. do it rosell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom