• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Arnie

SQUASH HIM

Ferguson also remarked rather caustically that Liverpool were around eight players short of what it would take to win the league. "That's probably two short of what they need then," Rodgers countered.

iwSc3cXzfTL97.gif

Walshy

Liverpool-GAF

Did you see Rodgers comments on Ferguson today?

Alex Ferguson's 'sad' autobiography torn to shreds by Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers
24 Oct 2013 22:31
Views Manchester United managerial legend expresses in new book could taint his legacy warns Anfield counterpart

Brendan Rodgers has warned Sir Alex Ferguson’s bitter autobiography bombshells could backfire spectacularly... and destroy the Scot's own legacy.
Liverpool manager Rodgers said he was “saddened” by the vicious attack on the Anfield club, and its players, which is a strong, running theme throughout Manchester United legend Fergie’s new book.

Rodgers insisted he must defend Kop stars such as Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson, who he claims were unfairly maligned, and delivered a series of cutting ripostes, when he:

Accused Ferguson of trying to bring Liverpool down because he resented chasing them for so many years.

Called the attack on Gerrard ‘incredible’ - and claimed Fergie is the only man in football who doesn’t think the Liverpool and England captain is a top player.

Suggested former Old Trafford boss Ferguson owes Henderson an apology for trying to ‘damage his career’.

Slammed the Scot for ‘inappropriate’ comments that breach etiquette in terms of talking about other clubs’ players.

Hoped his own players don’t feel they can’t say anything privately in the dressing room for fear the manager will later repeat it.

Dismissed claims he is too young at to manage a club such as Liverpool after being appointed at age 39, pointing out Fergie was only a few years older, at 45, when he took over at Old Trafford.

Rodgers even humorously suggested that if Ferguson is right about this Liverpool side being eight players away from winning the title, then United, trailing eighth in the Premier League, must need even more.

But his humour could not disguise a forensic and damning dissection of Ferguson’s comments, when he suggested such a bitter outburst threatens to undermine the legendary manager’s hard-earned legacy.

As lengthy queues formed to buy the book on its release, Rodgers said: “I think there is a sadness to it, as this is something that will probably stay with people for a long while.

“I think every football person would have enjoyed seeing him going out and leaving the legacy he had done. But now people are only going to talk about his comments in the book.”

Rodgers was less courteous over Ferguson’s attacks on Gerrard - who the Scot claimed was “not a top, top player”, and Henderson - who Fergie bizarrely suggested ran in too upright a manner, which would lead to injury problems.

The Kop boss said: “It was a breach of etiquette, and it surprised me, coming from someone with such a status in the game. As someone who has worked with young players he must understand the impact his words can have.

“Jordan is an incredible athlete, and for a young player making his way in the game, those comments could be damaging. I would hope that if Ferguson bumps into Jordan, he would apologise for that.

“As for Steven, it’s not credible really, he must be the only one in football who doesn’t think he’s a top, top player.”

Rodgers insists he is proud of the history and dignity of Liverpool as a club.

He hinted that bitterness built up over the years when the Anfield side dominated English football may be behind a lot of the sour grapes.

“When you have been a successful club like Liverpool, chasing them for so many years, you have to find ways of bringing them down. But this is a club that has class, a club that has history,” he added.

Rodgers had one last response to Ferguson’s jibes, when asked about the claim he is eight players away from winning the title:

“Eight? Well at least that’s probably two less than they need to win the league then....!”
I know it was expected but I'm glad he was so strong about defending the club. He really went after Ferguson strongly, something not many managers would do. I thought Fergies comments were really distasteful myself.

Shut the fuck up Brentan and go shag that secretary.

Edit - Seriously though. I think he's right about a lot of things but I also think people need to actually read the book and not select the more controversial lines. From what I understand there is a lot of nice things he says about Liverpool too. People say he's tearing his players apart but again it seems like he is massively complimentary about the same ones, but those lines aren't being mentioned.

I won't bother reading it though, never read autobiographys. You've got to be a complete twat to even think about writing one.

Walshy

Was shitting on Henderson really necessary?
No. It's completely unneeded on a player he actually tried to sign.

Shut the fuck up Brentan and go shag that secretary.

Edit - Seriously though. I think he's right about a lot of things but I also think people need to actually read the book and not select the more controversial lines. From what I understand there is a lot of nice things he says about Liverpool too. People say he's tearing his players apart but again it seems like he is massively complimentary about the same ones, but those lines aren't being mentioned.

I won't bother reading it though, never read autobiographys. You've got to be a complete twat to even think about writing one.
Who do you think is right, Ferguson or Rodgers? I think he says a few nice things about us, there is a whole chapter dedicated to us I think.

No. It's completely unneeded on a player he actually tried to sign.

Who do you think is right, Ferguson or Rodgers? I think he says a few nice things about us, there is a whole chapter dedicated to us I think.
Rodgers.

My main issue is actually writing it and more than that the timing. Ferguson is still employed by the club and paid a hefty wage, I think it's simply unprofessional for him to write this book full stop never mind antagonising current players/staff and possibly future staff. We want Beckham back as an ambassador, will he want to come back with Fergie around? Probably yes and Fergie does say a lot of nice things about him - but you get my drift.

But yeah, whatever. Personally I doubt there is anything of any value there, nothing interesting or revelatory - or we'd have heard it. A lot of it is ground that's been covered and he avoids the main controversies. Ferguson is obv a vindictive man and he wanted a final say on a few things.

I'm sure for United fans small snippets here and there will be interesting and fun.

3Sixty

Not read the book and doubt i will.

Everything I've heard from it confirms my thoughts of Fergie being a cankerous wanker.

kharma45

arkon

Everyone here MUST read Pirlo's book. (this March)

It's so fucking hilarious and out of character. Maybe he IS a fucking stoner after all.

I'm there day 1. Just waiting for a copy to turn up on amazon so I can place that pre-order.

Clegg

Over 5 years too, nice not to be tied in as long as the current deal. The Sun are reporting too that we've been granted sales rights for their kits which could be worth another £15 million per year bringing the deal up to £375 million for its duration.

Fuck all those avatars.

And the Glazers are thinking about raising more cash through another IPO early next year. And then there's the refinancing of the loans which cuts United'd interest payable. And don't forget that record breaking kit sponsor deal which comes into effect next season.

You can't say the Glazer's don't know what they're doing business wise.

kharma45

And the Glazers are thinking about raising more cash through another IPO early next year. And then there's the refinancing of the loans which cuts United'd interest payable. And don't forget that record breaking kit sponsor deal which comes into effect next season.

You can't say the Glazer's don't know what they're doing business wise.

That's why I've defended them on here when I think it was Noal was talking about them. Of course the debt isn't ideal and the loan interest payments are sicking to see but they do know what they're doing, money is flowing in well and we seem to be fairly sustainable at this point in time.

Walshy

Rodgers.

My main issue is actually writing it and more than that the timing. Ferguson is still employed by the club and paid a hefty wage, I think it's simply unprofessional for him to write this book full stop never mind antagonising current players/staff and possibly future staff. We want Beckham back as an ambassador, will he want to come back with Fergie around? Probably yes and Fergie does say a lot of nice things about him - but you get my drift.

But yeah, whatever. Personally I doubt there is anything of any value there, nothing interesting or revelatory - or we'd have heard it. A lot of it is ground that's been covered and he avoids the main controversies. Ferguson is obv a vindictive man and he wanted a final say on a few things.

I'm sure for United fans small snippets here and there will be interesting and fun.
I fully agree with what you are saying about him being on the United pay roll still, did you catch the brilliant Jon Snow interview from in the week? It's a good interview were Ferguson doesn't like the questions that he is being asked, especially about his son's involvement in United's transfer dealings. He touches on your point about him still being involved in the club, I think the book would be even worse if he wasn't employed by United still.

He shouldn't be talking about players that are still there, especially when you see stories such as Vidic wanting to fight in the Kosovo conflict (despite Januzaj being on the verge of breaking through) and comment on Henderson are completely unwarranted to be honest.

I had no idea that Ferguson still gets a hefty wage still at United.

Clegg

That's why I've defended them on here when I think it was Noal was talking about them. Of course the debt isn't ideal and the loan interest payments are sicking to see but they do know what they're doing, money is flowing in well and we seem to be fairly sustainable at this point in time.

But then you have to remember that it's still the Glazer's were talking about. Most other clubs with that kind of cash at their disposal would use it to buy players. That's usually not the case with United. They take money out of the club because they can; the cunts.

However, I think we're now in a position where we can make a big name signing. It's just a case of actually pulling it off.

They have done far more damage than good.

They're leeches. They don't give a shit about the fans and they know nothing about football.

The one thing they know about is making money for themselves and they've done that brilliantly.

I fully agree with what you are saying about him being on the United pay roll still, did you catch the brilliant Jon Snow interview from in the week? It's a good interview were Ferguson doesn't like the questions that he is being asked, especially about his son's involvement in United's transfer dealings. He touches on your point about him still being involved in the club, I think the book would be even worse if he wasn't employed by United still.

He shouldn't be talking about players that are still there, especially when you see stories such as Vidic wanting to fight in the Kosovo conflict (despite Januzaj being on the verge of breaking through) and comment on Henderson are completely unwarranted to be honest.

I had no idea that Ferguson still gets a hefty wage still at United.
He gets paid £2m for making 20 appearances a year. £100k per day of work.

It's insane quite frankly but considering we don't spend our money on many useful things, I guess he has more of a claim to it than most others.

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen. Will watch now.

kharma45

But then you have to remember that it's still the Glazer's were talking about. Most other clubs with that kind of cash at their disposal would use it to buy players. That's usually not the case with United.

However, I think we're now in a position where we can make a big name signing. It's just a case of actually pulling it off.

We've had the chance to spend big in the past but it seems it was more Fergie than the Glazers who didn't front up the cash at the end of the day.

They have done far more damage than good.

They're leeches. They don't give a shit about the fans and they know nothing about football.

The one thing they know about is making money for themselves and they've done that brilliantly.

I don't disagree there, they've taken a lot of money out but if they'd failed in their LBO we could've still ended up with another set of shit owners at some stage.

Walshy

He gets paid £2m for making 20 appearances a year. £100k per day of work.

It's insane quite frankly but considering we don't spend our money on many useful things, I guess he has more of a claim to it than most others.

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen. Will watch now.
That's an absurd amount of money. Is it just appearances at club events?

Surprising that has really been mentioned in the press.

We've had the chance to spend big in the past but it seems it was more Fergie than the Glazers who didn't front up the cash at the end of the day.

I don't disagree there, they've taken a lot of money out but if they'd failed in their LBO we could've still ended up with another set of shit owners at some stage.
Dont fool yourself kharma.

Why on earth would Fergie decide to penny pinch? It makes no sense. He can say it as much as he likes but he's chatting shit, the Glazers gave him a budget and he stuck to it. Absolutely brilliantly in fairness to him.

That's an absurd amount of money. Is it just appearances at club events?

Surprising that has really been mentioned in the press.
Yeah just ambassadorial stuff I think.

Papers ran it when he was retiring but it just got lost under all the other stuff at the time I guess.

kharma45

Why on earth would Fergie decide to penny pinch?

He's Scottish.

Why on earth would Fergie decide to penny pinch? It makes no sense. He can say it as much as he likes but he's chatting shit, the Glazers gave him a budget and he stuck to it. Absolutely brilliantly in fairness to him.

It was more the fact he wouldn't front up the cash for agent's wage demands is what I was getting at.

Clegg

I have to agree with Viva.

Fergie had no problem spending big money for players from 2000-2004. Veron, Ruud, Rooney and Rio were all bought for large sums. Then the Glazer's come in and he starts talking about value. I'm 100% certain that he would have spent big if the money was available to him.

Moyes may actually get a larger budget that Fergie did under the Glazer's. He'll need a larger budget too. He's not able to get that little bit extra out of the squad.

Scum

Yeah just ambassadorial stuff I think.

Papers ran it when he was retiring but it just got lost under all the other stuff at the time I guess.

For his pension.

Top Bottom