• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Tomorrow is when we start seeing the wheels falling off Arsenals season.
It's funny because Arsenal seem to be firing on all cylinders right now and yet the prospect of playing them really doesn't concern me, and not just because it's the League Cup.

Before yesterdays game I looked at our upcoming fixtures and City scared me. Arsenal, not so much. I really can't explain why given the two teams form.

Salvadora

It's funny because Arsenal seem to be firing on all cylinders right now and yet the prospect of playing them really doesn't concern me, and not just because it's the League Cup.

Before yesterdays game I looked at our upcoming fixtures and City scared me. Arsenal, not so much. I really can't explain why given the two teams form.

It doesn't concern you because Arsenal have a very light squad and will play very few first teamers.

We don't have the luxury of benching Mata.

I'll start playing Metal Gear Rising in five minutes.

It better be good Yurt or I swear on Allegri's head I'll find you.

Edit: fuck you too 400MB update.

pulga

Banned
Keeping up with all the petty drama on the console side of things seems like a huge hassle.

Precisely why I keep far, far away from the gaming side.

It's funny. I used question why people kept saying "come for the gaming, stay for the OT". Didn't make sense to me. Like why would you post at a gaming forum if you're not here for the gaming discussion anymore?

Lo and behold, I spend 85% of my time in here, exchanging bants with you oblivious fuckheads <3

Fuck me. Seems that all of Adam Sessler's whinging and drama, a piece of treachory so great that he could be forced to leave the industry, with his wife needing to elaborate on his position like a family member talking about their spouse's suicide attempt was because...wait for it....wait a bit more, its a fucking doozey

his outlet was not greenlit to receive a pre-release PS4, so they'll have to buy one themselves and be a couple of days late with their launch coverage.

Strange, as the vast majority of gaming sites have to buy their own consoles. Entitled twat.

pulga

Banned
Fuck me. Seems that all of Adam Sessler's whinging and drama, a piece of treachory so great that he could be forced to leave the industry, with his wife needing to elaborate on his position like a family member talking about their spouse's suicide attempt was because...wait for it....wait a bit more, its a fucking doozey

his outlet was not greenlit to receive a pre-release PS4, so they'll have to buy one themselves and be a couple of days late with their launch coverage.

are you shitting me hahahah

Took a look at that thread yesterday, something something monetize youtube something

THAT was it?

Salvadora

The prospect of the "wheels falling off Arsenal's season" if we lose to some of the best teams in England/Europe and Manchester United is funny though, innit.

That would have been expected a couple of months ago by everyone in this thread.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kyle Walker has signed a contract extension with Spurs.

Brings him up to 2019.

He's had an excellent season so far, very solid. If he keeps working hard he can reach the level of Dani Alves, I genuinely believe that. He's a fantastic athlete and is judged way too harshly by some fans.

Looking forward to the COC tomorrow, Chelsea's reserve side is ridiculous. Eto'o, Mata, Wilian, Luiz, should be straightforward if Vermaelen and Bendtner are playing.

rvy

Banned
Hull played with a back 5 and 4 in midfield. Our wingers had two players around them at all times. Really we just had to be patient it wait for a mistake, luckily it came. We had an easy chance on a set play in the first half that Paulinho missed, if he'd put that in the whole game would have gone differently, we have to score early at home and open the game up as soon as possible.
Paulinho sucks ass in PES, how accurate is that?

Clegg

The prospect of the "wheels falling off Arsenal's season" if we lose to some of the best teams in England/Europe and Manchester United is funny though, innit.

That would have been expected a couple of months ago by everyone in this thread.
Its a reaction to the small timeness of a fan base who go into overdrive as soon as they get a decent string of results and sign one good player.

That arrogance deserves to be brought down a few pegs.

Scum

Fuck me. Seems that all of Adam Sessler's whinging and drama, a piece of treachory so great that he could be forced to leave the industry, with his wife needing to elaborate on his position like a family member talking about their spouse's suicide attempt was because...wait for it....wait a bit more, its a fucking doozey...
...his outlet was not greenlit to receive a pre-release PS4, so they'll have to buy one themselves and be a couple of days late with their launch coverage.
Strange, as the vast majority of gaming sites have to buy their own consoles. Entitled twat.

5YRcF.gif
5YRcF.gif
5YRcF.gif
5YRcF.gif

I need Arsenal in all competitons for as long as possible.

rvy

Banned
Its a reaction to the small timeness of a fan base who go into overdrive as soon as they get a decent string of results and sign one good player.

These people remember the unbeaten Arse bro, give them a break.

LOVE IS OVER.

Salvadora

Clegg, I know that you would've said exactly the same thing six months, or even a year back so lets not pretend that its a reaction to arrogance.

pulga

Banned

Hear hear

I couldn't believe my ears when my only IRL gooner buddy started talking shit about how Ozil's top of the league and Madrid is sitting in third place. The audacity.

I can't wait for Ozil to have a brilliant season, leading Arsenal to another fourth place finish.

Scum

It could be a big problem if there's shortages. If somehow they failed to manage to get a PS4 they're essentially without content,no?

Tough shit. These goons in the mainstream media should be buying their shit like the rest of us have to. Then maybe they wouldn't spout out "Citizen Kane" tripe for every game they preview/review.

Clegg

Clegg, I know that you would've said exactly the same thing six months, or even a year back so lets not pretend that its a reaction to arrogance.
It was the same 6 months ago.

We had Arsenal fans in this very thread saying they'd rather qualify for a competition they knew they had no chance in winning instead of winning a trophy like the Capitol One Cup or the Europa League. Such thinking just baffles me.

That sense of entitlement is what bothers me most. Fuck, even the United fans aren't that bad and they're accustomed to a team winning all and sundry for 20 years.

Scum

Oh yeah, I forgot that there's always the second-hand market. You're right. Still a short delay for them, but hardly the end of the world.

It's all about getting those site clicks before other do. It's like those in GamingGAF who fish for "first posts".

Salvadora

It was the same 6 months ago.

We had Arsenal fans in this very thread saying they'd rather qualify for a competition they knew they had no chance in winning instead of winning a trophy like the Capitol One Cup or the Europa League. Such thinking just baffles me.

That sense of entitlement is what bothers me most. Fuck, even the United fans aren't that bad and they're accustomed to a team winning all and sundry for 20 years.
Call people out then.

You're picking on extreme opinions that don't reflect the entire fanbase. I remember that exact conversations and how it was rebuffed by other Arsenal fans in this thread (including me). You and Wilbury are taking things way too seriously when the vast majority of it is tongue in cheek.

Clegg

Call people out then.

You're picking on extreme opinions that don't reflect the entire fanbase. I remember that exact conversations and how it was rebuffed by other Arsenal fans in this thread (including me). You and Wilbury are taking things way too seriously when the vast majority of it is tongue in cheek.

I've no problem in doing that.

Lightning, Barzul, and a few juniors who I can't remember etc. All fine posters usually, but things sour when it gets on the topic of Arsenal. And no they're not posting tongue in cheek. This sense of entitlement doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I am taking things too seriously, but the level of conversation is dragged down far too often, just like it is now, when Arsenal is involved. And I'm part of that too.

We're now reaching the level of tediousness which we saw during the Suarez/Evra thing from a few years ago.

To be fair, it's unfortunately like that. If you want clicks, you gotta be the first.

Or do something fun. Can't wait for the GiantBomb new console livestreams. Got a feeling they'll be destroyed by Jeff's cynicism and Brad's overplayed lethargy, which is just annoying. Vinny will save them though :p

While it does seem like a small problem but I can understand his problems. It's the first few youtube videos that can get in the hundred thousands, or millions, and that gives you a lot of moolah in terms of YouTube partnership program.

I'm guessing he needs it because production work is pretty expensive, which is why he's worried he might have to find another job, He could go broke.

jtb

Banned
in all seriousness, of those five fixtures, I think we'll do pretty poorly in the big ones.

Chelsea L — there's no way we're going to win the league cup this season anyways or ever, blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned
Liverpool W
Dortmund L — don't think we'll be able to do it; probably pick up a point at Napoli to make it through
United D — a point would be more than enough for me
Southampton W — at the Emirates, we need and can probably get a win, but I could see points dropped though

so I see us picking up 7 points, but could easily be 4 or 5 depending on how the United and Southampton games turn out. It's never really the big games that kill us but the ensuing collapse where we drop countless points against lower table teams due to laziness, lack of focus, tiredness, injury crises, etc.

While it does seem like a small problem but I can understand his problems. It's the first few youtube videos that can get in the hundred thousands, or millions, and that gives you a lot of moolah in terms of YouTube partnership program.

I'm guessing he needs it because production work is pretty expensive, which is why he's worried he might have to find another job, He could go broke.

I guess it depends on whether his situation is the norm or not

If most others are in the same situation and aren't getting one pre-release (I'd assume massive sites like IGN and gamespot will be getting them early), he'll be in the same situation he would have been in either way, getting the consoles and games at the same time as their real competitors.

Unless of course they can't get one on release either, in which case he and his bosses deserve a kick in the nuts for assuming that they'd get them for free and early.

Suen

Hull played with a back 5 and 4 in midfield. Our wingers had two players around them at all times. Really we just had to be patient it wait for a mistake, luckily it came. We had an easy chance on a set play in the first half that Paulinho missed, if he'd put that in the whole game would have gone differently, we have to score early at home and open the game up as soon as possible.
So they tried to prevent you from playing wide by marking your wingers with two players, kinda make sense why it looks like it does then but back 5 and 4 midfield? Sounds like they almost parked the bus right from the beginning

Salvadora

Lightning, Barzul, and a few juniors who I can't remember etc. All fine posters usually, but things sour when it gets on the topic of Arsenal. And no they're not posting tongue in cheek. This sense of entitlement doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I am taking things too seriously, but the level of conversation is dragged down far too often, just like it is now, when Arsenal is involved. And I'm part of that too.
Are you really surprised when things sour when we're on the topic of Arsenal?

Unless its between Arsenal GAF, its very difficult to have a serious discussion on the club when the usual suspects turn up with "£42m of shite". I'd rather things didn't sour, but it seems inevitable when certain clubs are involved in discussion. And yes, Lightning does try to have a laugh. Anyway lets end this because its incredibly stupid.

Clegg

in all seriousness, of those five fixtures, I think we'll do pretty poorly in the big ones.

Chelsea L &#8212; there's no way we're going to win the league cup this season anyways or ever, blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned
Liverpool W
Dortmund L &#8212; don't think we'll be able to do it; probably pick up a point at Napoli to make it through
United D &#8212; a point would be more than enough for me
Southampton W &#8212; at the Emirates, we need and can probably get a win, but I could see points dropped though

so I see us picking up 7 points, but could easily be 4 or 5 depending on how the United and Southampton games turn out. It's never really the big games that kill us but the ensuing collapse where we drop countless points against lower table teams due to laziness, lack of focus, tiredness, injury crises, etc.
Don't take this as me having a go at you or Arse fans, but I don't see how you can so easily view the Liverpool game as a win. They're playing some very good football atm and have the two most in form strikers in the league. I'm not saying you won't win, I just don't think it's as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Unless you're trolling ofc.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So they tried to prevent you from playing wide by marking your wingers with two players, kinda make sense why it looks like it does then but back 5 and 4 midfield? Sounds like they almost parked the bus right from the beginning

That's exactly what they did, they played for a clean sheet which is fine. We have to get used to it quickly.

jtb

Banned

I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I can vouch for Lightning. I know he gets a bad rep around here but he's definitely a level-headed Arsenal fan. Maybe too much so. When it comes to things like the Europa League, the COC, etc.—it's never that we don't want to win it, it's that when you have a manager as stubborn as Wenger, and a squad as perpetually thin and injury-prone as ours, a stadium to pay down, etc. it all comes down to opportunity cost. Of course everyone wants to win everything—but it doesn't take a genius to notice that Arsenal's great run of forms at the end of the last two seasons have come because the team has only played once a week.

We aren't capable of competing on every front so it comes down to asking do we want to go all in on a smaller cup and jeopardize our already precarious 4th place or do you hold onto what you already have. Liverpool may be third now, but I don't think anyone realistically thinks they'll be back in the CL next season. Or when Suarez leaves the season after. So then what? Once you drop out of the CL, you don't get opportunities to get back in.

We could never have signed Ozil without still being in the CL, despite all those trophyless years. Whether that's merely a false dawn or not remains to be seen, but it's simply near impossible to make those purchases w/o CL football. So, should Wenger ever move on (which looked to be a very likely possibility in the summer), we at least want to have a platform to build off of in the future. It's not arrogance, it's just being realistic.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I can vouch for Lightning. I know he gets a bad rep around here but he's definitely a level-headed Arsenal fan. Maybe too much so. When it comes to things like the Europa League, the COC, etc.&#8212;it's never that we don't want to win it, it's that when you have a manager as stubborn as Wenger, and a squad as perpetually thin and injury-prone as ours, a stadium to pay down, etc. it all comes down to opportunity cost. Of course everyone wants to win everything&#8212;but it doesn't take a genius to notice that Arsenal's great run of forms at the end of the last two seasons have come because the team has only played once a week.

We aren't capable of competing on every front so it comes down to asking do we want to go all in on a smaller cup and jeopardize our already precarious 4th place or do you hold onto what you already have. Liverpool may be third now, but I don't think anyone realistically thinks they'll be back in the CL next season. Or when Suarez leaves the season after. So then what? Once you drop out of the CL, you don't get opportunities to get back in.

We could never have signed Ozil without still being in the CL, despite all those trophyless years. Whether that's merely a false dawn or not remains to be seen, but it's simply near impossible to make those purchases w/o CL football. So, should Wenger ever move on (which looked to be a very likely possibility in the summer), we at least want to have a platform to build off of in the future. It's not arrogance, it's just being realistic.

Chelsea and Spurs beg to differ. Just because we've made a balls-up of our attempts to get back in, doesn't mean its indicative

@FW, what a gutless prediction :D

I guess it depends on whether his situation is the norm or not

If most others are in the same situation and aren't getting one pre-release (I'd assume massive sites like IGN and gamespot will be getting them early), he'll be in the same situation he would have been in either way, getting the consoles and games at the same time as their real competitors.

Unless of course they can't get one on release either, in which case he and his bosses deserve a kick in the nuts for assuming that they'd get them for free and early.

Pretty much.

YouTube monetization is a pretty crazy thing if done well. My company for instance makes around USD3k via it every month, or around 8k during school holidays and we are just a small animation production company in South East Asia. So that's why I can empathise with his anxiety over this.

Where is the best place to get FM 2014 from? I usually get it from the steam sale but I want it day one.

Green Man Gaming. You can get 25% off by using the coupon code: GMG25-3P6V5-3Q850

Chelsea and Spurs beg to differ. Just because we've made a balls-up of our attempts to get back in, doesn't mean its indicative

:D I just think it'll be a exciting game, very end to end attacking football. The best two teams in England, a point apiece me thinks :p

Arsenal to beat Utd though :p

jtb

Banned

Spurs have spent the past four seasons knocking on the CL places and have only managed to get in once, and that was before City solidified themselves in the top 4. Chelsea spent, what... 100m-ish? after they came so very close to dropping out of the CL. It's pretty difficult, especially if you're trying to do it without huge amounts of investment.

Bumhead

Banned
Any live football on tonight?

Wondering what my new £22 a month Sky Sports subscription bags me during the week. I know there's Brighton vs Watford but not sure if it's on the telly box.

Top Bottom