• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Linius

Most Gaffers who have the game seem fairly positive about it. I'm not sure if I want Black Flag or Arkham Origins yet.

Anyways, finally made my way back to division three in FIFA 13 seasons. I made a huge drop when I arrived there the first time. I finished the first season in that division with 14 points which was okay but everything after that went to shit. Now my W/L ratio is finally back to a decent number: 100/105. Schalke brought me back to glory.

But why is EA's website such a fucking mess. I can't find my uploaded goals anywhere :/

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Review scores are ruining the industry.

We should switch to another scale, IMO. Like, "Enjoyable - Not so special - Not enjoyable" and be done with it.

bjaelke

We should switch to another scale, IMO. Like, "Enjoyable - Not so special - Not enjoyable" and be done with it.
I remember a couple of sites implementing a new score system similar to what you described a few years ago. Problem was that people would still translate it into numbers so it'd be applicable on metacritics and those sites.

Suen

Capital One Cup on Setanta, which I ditched a while back.

Sigh. Will check result and watch delayed.

Happy non-Moyes-related news: thesis is basically complete. Lumped drafted sections into one doc, hit word count, got 81,000.

The journey (parallel, in many ways, to Abou Diaby's career) nears its end.
Congrats Sala!

Kenka

I'm expecting Watch Dogs to bomb though.

image.php

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I remember a couple of sites implementing a new score system similar to what you described a few years ago. Problem was that people would still translate it into numbers so it'd be applicable on metacritics and those sites.

But how? It makes no sense

100% - 50% - 0%?

L1NETT

No scores. No metacritic. Just someone written opinion.

I think a word scale would work, although journos being in publishers pocket is a bigger issue.

bjaelke

But how? It makes no sense

100% - 50% - 0%?
Probably something within 100-67, 66-34 and 33-0 based on the perceived score. It's a very flawed system.

When you tell a computer to compute the average of B+, 45, 5, and *****, it just looks at you funny and gives an error message. When you tell a computer to compute the average of 83, 45, 50, and 10, it is much, much happier. Thus, in order to make our computers happy (and calculate the METASCORES), we must convert all critics' scores to a 0-100 scale. So for the letter grade scale used by Entertainment Weekly, an A represents 100, and F corresponds to zero, with the other letters falling somewhere in between. Similarly, 4- and 5-star scales and other odd grading scales are all converted to the 0-100 scales you see displayed on each of our movie, game, TV, and music pages.
GamePro requested that the Fun Factor Score be used for the composite.

sohois

Scores aren't the issue really. Film reviews have always used scores and it's never been an issue there. I will say the 0-10 scale or 0-100 is basically pointless, they'd be better off switching to the 5 star system. Most reviews in other mediums tend to use that, and it works well enough for Giant Bomb.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Scores aren't the issue really. Film reviews have always used scores and it's never been an issue there. I will say the 0-10 scale or 0-100 is basically pointless, they'd be better off switching to the 5 star system. Most reviews in other mediums tend to use that, and it works well enough for Giant Bomb.

What's the difference between 4/5 and 5/5? Or 1/5 and 2/5? Not much, really.

Every game is flawed and there's no 'slightly shit' games either :p

GorillaJu

The only thing the Wii U shows is that console success is very delicate and not at all guaranteed, especially if you go after a fickle market. People aren't going to start buying Wii Us because the Xbone sucks. They're just not going to buy anything. Maybe they'll buy PS4s.

Nintendo had their chance with the Wii U and fluffed it. They might be able to resurrect it with a marketing push and a good piece of casual software and a huge price cut. But people aren't going to be lining up for Wii U as their de facto console just because they're not satisfied with Xbone.

GorillaJu

It's too early to say anything about the (overall) success of Xbone or PS4 at this point anyway. GAF is hardly indicative and as we've seen this gen, things can change.

Xbone is set for a rocky start, that much can't be argued. It's not just on Gaf that people are opposing everything about it. However Sony recovered well with the PS3 last time around and if MS finds a market niche as an entertainment hub they can turn things around.

Walshy

Xbone is set for a rocky start, that much can't be argued. It's not just on Gaf that people are opposing everything about it. However Sony recovered well with the PS3 last time around and if MS finds a market niche as an entertainment hub they can turn things around.
Don't you think things are different this time around and more difficult to make a recovery? Especially with the rise of mobile gaming.

Console sales probably won't probably reach the heights of this current generation.

GorillaJu

Don't you think things are different this time around and more difficult to make a recovery? Especially with the rise of mobile gaming.

Console sales probably won't probably reach the heights of this current generation.

It really depends. Overall yes I think you're right, but technology changes so much over the lifespan of a console that it's hard to predict what the next big thing will be.

kharma45

Slightly surprised at the good reviews AC 4 is receiving. I was going to get the game because I'm a fan of the series, but just from reading GAF impressions I expected the game to be mediocre.

This is why you ignore most of the opinions on the gaming side.

panty

Yeah AC4 looks pretty good. Haven't bothered with the series in a long while but that wnb-pirate thing looks pretty sweet. Might have to buy that at launch.

Salazar

What's the thesis on Sal?

It's an attempt to push historical treatment of literary magazines (one in particular) towards a concentration on the parts that involve social action, interaction, multi-vocality, participation. Argument, sharing, reciprocating insults, collaboration and whatnot. Namely, the letters to the editor. Because scholars looking at magazines tend to see the correspondence (the mad fucks writing in) as dottily orbiting the "real stuff", rather than as a strong and interesting engagement with it. Essentially, it's a reading of an archive of letters covering the 20th century, mostly involving historians calling each other silly names and authors complaining that they took 15 years to write a novel but the reviewer spent only 4 hours reading it and 1 hour writing a review that killed it off.

Blablurn

It's an attempt to push historical treatment of literary magazines (one in particular) towards a concentration on the parts that involve social action, interaction, multi-vocality, participation. Argument, sharing, reciprocating insults, collaboration and whatnot. Namely, the letters to the editor. Because scholars looking at magazines tend to see the correspondence (the mad fucks writing in) as dottily orbiting the "real stuff", rather than as a strong and interesting engagement with it. Essentially, it's a reading of an archive of letters covering the 20th century, mostly involving historians calling each other silly names and authors complaining that they took 15 years to write a novel but the reviewer spent only 4 hours reading it and 1 hour writing a review that killed it off.

Xp8lgna.gif

The good news: despite everything, we're better than last season. We have more points and a better position in the Serie A.
KuGsj.gif

The bad news: we'll play with Abate-Zaccardo-Zapata-De Sciglio tomorrow vs Lazio.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

The worst news: after Silvestre injury, the only defender that still hasn't been injured is Constant.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

Also, I can't fix the Sixaxis and I'll have to buy a new one. In a month or so, probably. Rising will have to wait.

sohois

The good news: despite everything, we're better than last season. We have more points and a better position in the Serie A.
KuGsj.gif

The bad news: we'll play with Abate-Zaccardo-Zapata-De Sciglio tomorrow vs Lazio.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

The worst news: after Silvestre injury, the only defender that still hasn't been injured is Constant.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

Also, I can't fix the Sixaxis and I'll have to buy a new one. In a month or so, probably. Rising will have to wait.

Why don't you get one of those crappy third party controllers? Since I'm assuming you won't be using a PS3 for much longer anyways

Fergie

Banned
Damn. Critics can be annoying.

Congrats on the Thesis.

Avoiding Gaming side till South Park hits.

Very interested to see the sides that Arsenal and Chelsea put out tonight, hope Mata and Bendtner start.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That's pretty cool and interesting.

Top Bottom