• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Fifa are a joke, how is Totti not on their shortlist. He was one of only about ten players to have over 10 assists and 10 goals(including 8 goals inside the box from only 17 shots), had the most accurate through balls of ANYONE in Europe last year, his trickery saw him being the 4th most fouled player in Europe. So far this year he has the 4th most key passes in Europe, only one player has more assists than him and he has scored the same amount of goals as Neymar. He is also the best player on the best team in Europe right now(he missed the last game and it was their hardest victory)

All this from a 37 year old. He is also still the most fun player to watch(I love having Ozil at Arsenal, but even he can't compare to Totti) and the most technically gifted player out there.

Screw Fifa. No Totti, No Party.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Great article by the underrated Carlo Garganese on 2013 Fifa Ballon d'Or 23-man shortlist.
The Fifa Ballon d’Or shortlist, revealed on Tuesday, has once again shown that players and coaches are rewarded based on reputation and not on their form and achievements over the course of the calendar year.

This has been proven time and again. The snubbing of Wesley Sneijder and Diego Milito in 2010 is just one example, but this year is perhaps the most blatant case of big-name favouritism.

In the main category, Andrea Pirlo and Xavi are among the 23 contenders. The pair have undoubtedly been the top two centre midfielders of their generation but both have been well below their best since January 1.

At Juventus alone, there have been two midfielders superior to Pirlo – Paul Pogba and Arturo Vidal. The omission of the Chilean from the shortlist is nothing short of criminal; the 26-year-old has been Serie A’s standout player this year, inspiring Juventus to the Scudetto and Chile to the World Cup.

Xavi, meanwhile, has endured his worst year at Barcelona from a personal sense since his injury-plagued 2005-06 campaign. Struggling to maintain a high level as he reaches the final stage of his career, Xavi was outshone in a series of high-profile matches, including Barca’s 7-0 Champions League semi-final thumping by Bayern and Spain’s Confederation Cup final loss to Brazil.

Yaya Toure is another player who has only made the list based on past performances. The Ivorian has had an average 2013, with Manchester City finishing 11 points behind neighbours United in the Premier League in May and already well off the pace this term.

Eliminated in Europe in the group stages, it is inexplicable that Toure can be nominated ahead of Dortmund midfield stars Ilkay Gundogan, Marco Reus and Mario Gotze. The presence of just one Borussia Dortmund player, Robert Lewandowski, is insulting. This is a team who lit up the Champions League in 2013 along with Bayern Munich.

And a team that defeated Mesut Ozil’s Real Madrid in the semi-final after a 4-1 thrashing at Westfalenstadion. The playmaker was totally overrun by the above trio in that game and didn’t score a goal for Madrid in 2013 until April. His presence on the Ballon d’Or shortlist is purely a reaction to his high-profile big-money move to Arsenal in the summer, for whom he has played just eight times since.

The inclusions of Eden Hazard and Luis Suarez are less controversial, but also very debatable. Hazard has reserved his best form for the start of the 2013-14 campaign, but if that is sufficient to make the cut then Francesco Totti, Aaron Ramsey and Diego Costa should be inserted too. Suarez has been world class almost every time he has taken to the pitch in 2013, but he has missed almost a third of his club’s games this year due to suspension.

Spanish magician Isco - who dragged Malaga to the quarter-finals of the Champions League, was Player of the Tournament at the Under-21 Euros and has begun his Real Madrid career exceptionally - is more deserving than both Hazard and Suarez.

The coaching shortlist is also a slave to reputation. Vicente del Bosque, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger have all achieved nothing in 2013. Mourinho even confessed upon leaving Real Madrid that 2012-13 had been the worst season of his career. The Special One lost the Copa del Rey final to Diego Simeone of Atletico Madrid - the Argentine is just one glaring omission in this category.

Fifa needs to consider new ways of deciding the nominees and winners of the Ballon d’Or. The current system - whereby the shortlist is compiled by the Fifa Football Committe and employees of France Football before the final voting is decided by international coaches, captains and journalists – does not work. The 2013 shortlist is confirmation that names are being selected purely on reputation.

And yeah, as far as Juve is concerned, I don't see how Pirlo is there ahead of Vidal and Pogba.

@Shanks: Totti too, absolutely.

Yeah, Pirlo has been awful this calendar year and is not the best Italian. Vidal was defo the best player in Serie A last year, and maybe even the year before.

Is the shortlist composed by FIFA or is down to the captains and coaches of the international teams?

The fifa award has always been a joke, because it is usually won by stand out player at the World Cup(Zidane won over Ronaldo in 98 based solely on the final) or Champions League or someone from the most watched league in the world.

pulga

Banned
BOOBIES

ibh1RufgMi08XT.gif

Fady K

A few months back, I was supposed to meet up with Fady with my ex and party all night long but he 'missed' my DMs.

missed

MORE LIKE DODGED FADY

Man I really felt bad when I checked my DMs too late. That's like a golden opportunity, and I totally missed it! If you ever come by again let me know and this time, long as I'm alive, I will take you out for dinner and maybe even a juve match if one is showing.

I would totally not dodge you bro, it would be a pleasure to meet you :D

He's too cool for us now Yurt.

He's turning into Ibra.

No way man :p If anything I am too un-cool these days! I have lost my edge :p

He was with me, he knew you didn't want me. We dodged you for backstabbing so we double backstabbed you.

Haha. We should totally take Yurt out when he comes by next time ^^

I almost feel obliged to buy one and ship it to Fady.

I'd happily send over a new Aguero kit to you myself, you'd totally deserve it :D

He did this to me in barca too btw

Did I reaallly ;D? No way bro. My memory is a bit fuzzy here but - were you really in Barca during the same time I was? Back in April 2012?

Hahah. Fady just couldn't decide if he should wear his barca or Chelsea kit.

LOL! True!! I should probably impress him by wearing a Juve kit with Pirlo's name on the back but then he'd call me a three teamer :p

He was going to show up in a fantastic Zanetti kit.

LOOOOOOOL! I'd imagine that he'd leave me with a black eye if that was the case!

1. bayern gaf
2. yurt
3. wooden
4. fady
5. baco
6. quiche
7. kids
8. sal
9. wilbs
10. odd
11. football fan
12. zabo
13. hixx
14. willkiller
15. lamvda
16. rvy
17. kyoufu
18. kinan
19. freewhelin
20. omie

no order, just all the names i could remember lol

I thank you good sir. I'm no Bayern fan but you are a wonderful Bayern fan and friend :)

So, Fady and me are best bros. Who wants to join us in Abu Dhabi?

You come by AD someday wilbury senior you let me and sleepless know :D We'll take you to one of the best shawarma joints, God willing. We'll take you to an Arsenal game too.

You lucky ya 3am!

I have to wait until the official release date, where do you usually keep your consoles? I'm just gonna sneak in and try it at night. You won't even notice I was there. :p

Btw, love your avatar. It takes real skill to make an avatr purposefully bad!

Wallah bro you can do the same ;D I'll pick mine up from Hamed inshAllah - should be available a few days after the US launch tops. They will likely rip us off during the first few days though >_> I'll keep you posted on the prices I find.

I keep some of my older consoles like the PS2 and Gamecube in the closet. How about you? I'll have to invite you over someday!

Haha thanks for the avatar compliment. I was totally inspired by Freewheelin's awesome avatar!!

Slightly surprised at the good reviews AC 4 is receiving. I was going to get the game because I'm a fan of the series, but just from reading GAF impressions I expected the game to be mediocre.

I am relieved to see good scores on the game and -especially- great impressions by the GAFfers because I adore the pirate setting in this game and apparently the atmosphere in it is soooo goooooooood!

Yes that's it exactly, well done.

So, you don't believe people should know the context behind every seemingly innocent, random GIF they post, after all? No, of course you don't expect that of people. And no, of course you didn't mean to imply I am a holocaust denier. I think everyone can see what you were trying to pull - I just wanted to clarify that

The main character in Ass Creed is from Swansea.

Doesn't fucking sound Welsh to me.

I was watching that call centre show on tele a few months ago and I realised how much I hate the Welsh accent. It's right up there alongside the Geordie, Dutch and Scouse dialects (no offence to our residents from there) for the most painful to listen to.

kharma45

So, you don't believe people should know the context behind every seemingly innocent, random GIF they post, after all? No, of course you don't expect that of people. And no, of course you didn't mean to imply I am a holocaust denier. I think everyone can see what you were trying to pull - I just wanted to clarify that

So you're not a Holocaust denier then?

arkon

I actually think the match was fixed, someone paid him. IIRC, he's a pretty decent GK.

It wouldn't surprise me. Bit of a weird way of going about it though. I mean it's not unusual for a keeper to drop a clanger which has a big effect on the final result, but for one keeper to basically gift the opposition team all three goals (with 2 mistakes being almost identical)... Just draws more attention to it. Surely this would be one of the first matches they look to investigate for any match fixing.

kharma45

I wonder what the chances of Fabio getting some game time tonight are. Would like to see him get a chance at LB and not have to watch Buttner.

Zabojnik

I think my PS3 slim just died on me. Black screen, won't boot to the menu. I bought it last year, ffs.

Could it have anything to do with the HDD? I've had several crashes over the last few days. Probably not.

panty

I think my PS3 slim just died on me. Black screen, won't boot to the menu. I bought it last year, ffs.

Could it have anything to do with the HDD? I've had several crashes over the last few days. Probably not.

Still running 2 launch date fatties here :coolface:

Try switching the HDD just in case?

Man I really felt bad when I checked my DMs too late. That's like a golden opportunity, and I totally missed it! If you ever come by again let me know and this time, long as I'm alive, I will take you out for dinner and maybe even a juve match if one is showing.

I would totally not dodge you bro, it would be a pleasure to meet you :D

No way man :p If anything I am too un-cool these days! I have lost my edge :p

Haha. We should totally take Yurt out when he comes by next time ^^

I'd happily send over a new Aguero kit to you myself, you'd totally deserve it :D

Did I reaallly ;D? No way bro. My memory is a bit fuzzy here but - were you really in Barca during the same time I was? Back in April 2012?

LOL! True!! I should probably impress him by wearing a Juve kit with Pirlo's name on the back but then he'd call me a three teamer :p

LOOOOOOOL! I'd imagine that he'd leave me with a black eye if that was the case!

I thank you good sir. I'm no Bayern fan but you are a wonderful Bayern fan and friend :)

You come by AD someday wilbury senior you let me and sleepless know :D We'll take you to one of the best shawarma joints, God willing. We'll take you to an Arsenal game too.

Wallah bro you can do the same ;D I'll pick mine up from Hamed inshAllah - should be available a few days after the US launch tops. They will likely rip us off during the first few days though >_> I'll keep you posted on the prices I find.

I keep some of my older consoles like the PS2 and Gamecube in the closet. How about you? I'll have to invite you over someday!

Haha thanks for the avatar compliment. I was totally inspired by Freewheelin's awesome avatar!!

I am relieved to see good scores on the game and -especially- great impressions by the GAFfers because I adore the pirate setting in this game and apparently the atmosphere in it is soooo goooooooood!

Yes we should! Take him to falafel only and for some mortabat :p

Problem is I won't be free until I finish my exams, which end on 11th of December. So I may just wait for the official day which would be 2 days later.

Yeah, definitely. No point in throwing them out especially if they're fully functional!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bonucci was chased and stopped by the police for driving his Ferrari recklessly through Turin's streets..

First time I was there we lost to fucking Inter. And then we lost to Sampdoria when I was in Spain.

Fady pls, no Juve.

kharma45

Just ran my five kilometer in under 28 minutes. I'm slightly improving ^^

Any other Footey Gaffers running?

Cycling just at the minute. Will have to start running soon though for a job i applied for. Only thing like running I've done of late is the cross trainer.

Top Bottom