• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

MPW

THE TALE OF UNITED - PART I:

ATOP THE MOUNTAIN OF POWER
FERGIE CHOOSE A NEW MANAGER
NOT MOURINHO NOR GUARDIOLA
BUT MOYES, SCOTTISH AMATEUR

MOYES IS AS INCOMPETENT
AS KAGAWA IS JAPANESE
LIVERPOOL AND MAN CITY
DISPOSED OF THEM WITH EASE

THE LOSS TO WBA WAS HUMILIATING
UNITED STRUGGLED LIKE AN AMPUTEE
AND IN CASE YOU FORGOT IT
WBA JUST RELEASED A DVD

AIN'T EASY BEING MOYES BOYS
DRAW TO SAINTS MADE IT CLEAR
THE TEAM WITH THE RED DEVIL
IS TRULY NOTHING TO FEAR

335707206_700.gif

deroli

Fuck, great win for Arsenal today and this is not even their final form. Golfham. How is Dortmund these days? Any major injuries?

Gündogan, Piszczek and most likely Kehl will miss the match. Out of the most recent games, 2 were very good (3-0 Marseille, 5-0 Freiburg), one was decent but with a shit result (0-2 Gladbach) and one was piss poor but with a decent result (1-0 Hannover), with Gladbach being the only away game. We've won every match so far in Dortmund, but our away performances were subpar quite often (a lucky win in Frankfurt, 1-1 in Nürnberg, 1-2 in Napoli)

Gündogan, Piszczek and most likely Kehl will miss the match. Out of the most recent games, 2 were very good (3-0 Marseille, 5-0 Freiburg), one was decent but with a shit result (0-2 Gladbach) and one was piss poor but with a decent result (1-0 Hannover), with Gladbach being the only away game. We've won every match so far in Dortmund, but our away performances were subpar quite often (a lucky win in Frankfurt, 1-1 in Nürnberg, 1-2 in Napoli)

How is my boy Nuri doing?

To Pulga and the rest of the United bros:

The problem is Rooney. Let’s forget about form for a minute. Rooney is a world class striker. He is without a doubt, better than Kagawa. The problem is that he isn’t a #10. He doesn’t look to create from the middle either through passing down the middle, running at defenders from the hole, neither does he look to face the goal when in the hole. His instinct is to get up the pitch beside RVP and score goals. If he drops deep he’ll look to pass it to the wings all the time. He has great work rate as well. None of those are qualities you want your number 10 to be best at.

Kagawa is the better #10. He has a better vision in the hole, has a better first touch, plays in between the striker and midfield often, and can retain possession well. It’s obvious he should be given a chance in that role. Rooney or RVP should be leading the line and I’m perfectly fine with either leading the line. Both can give you 30 goals. I personally would prefer RVP as he’s slightly better and didn’t want out of United.

Right now we’re essentially playing a 442 no matter how we initially intend to set up because of Rooney’s play style. There is so much space found between the midfield and strikers that the only option is to pass it out wide and hope they create. With Januzaj and Nani (thank god it’s not Valencia, Young, or Welbeck), we have created more chances than the first couple of games with the other 3 wingers I mentioned. But, even though they are creating, we’re still not creating enough and RVP is suffering due to the lack of a number 10. It also leads the midfield to be overran and we concede possession no matter the opposition.

Moyes needs to man up and bench Rooney or play him alone up top.

One thing I will note is that United can not sell Rooney to a PL team, which is what I have been saying from the start. That is something Pulga never comprehended. I wanted him sold at the start of the window so United had time to buy a great left sided winger/attacking midfielder.

To Pulga and the rest of the United bros:

The problem is Rooney. Let’s forget about form for a minute. Rooney is a world class striker. He is without a doubt, better than Kagawa. The problem is that he isn’t a #10. He doesn’t look to create from the middle either through passing down the middle, running at defenders from the hole, neither does he look to face the goal when in the hole. His instinct is to get up the pitch beside RVP and score goals. If he drops deep he’ll look to pass it to the wings all the time. He has great work rate as well. None of those are qualities you want your number 10 to be best at.

Kagawa is the better #10. He has a better vision in the hole, has a better first touch, plays in between the striker and midfield often, and can retain possession well. It’s obvious he should be given a chance in that role. Rooney or RVP should be leading the line and I’m perfectly fine with either leading the line. Both can give you 30 goals. I personally would prefer RVP as he’s slightly better and didn’t want out of United.

Right now we’re essentially playing a 442 no matter how we initially intend to set up because of Rooney’s play style. There is so much space found between the midfield and strikers that the only option is to pass it out wide and hope they create. With Januzaj and Nani (thank god it’s not Valencia, Young, or Welbeck), we have created more chances than the first couple of games with the other 3 wingers I mentioned. But, even though they are creating, we’re still not creating enough and RVP is suffering due to the lack of a number 10. It also leads the midfield to be overran and we concede possession no matter the opposition.

Moyes needs to man up and bench Rooney or play him alone up top.

One thing I will note is that United can not sell Rooney to a PL team, which is what I have been saying from the start. That is something Pulga never comprehended. I wanted him sold at the start of the window so United had time to buy a great left sided winger/attacking midfielder.

-------------------------De Gea------------------------

Rafael--------Vidic---------Evans------------Evra

------------------Carrick-------------------------------
--------------------------Fellaini-----------------------

-----------------------Kagawa-------------------------
------------------------------------------Januzaj
----------Rooney--------------------------------------
-------------------------------Van Persie------------

Would Rafael's energy be enough to compensate for the lack of a proper right winger?

Would Rafael's energy be enough to compensate for the lack of a proper right winger?

The problem with that is Rooney again. He doesn't want to play any other position. It would force him to play out wide a little more than his normal position. Besides, Nani would be much better in that role. Fergie tried the diamond last season to incorporate all of the attackers, but failed because he lined them up like this:

--------------------------Carrick-----------------------
------Kagawa/Valencia--------Cleverley/Kagawa--------
-------------------------Rooney----------------------
--------------Welbeck-----------Van Persie------------

It failed to utilize Kagawa behind the striker(s) and made him play much more defensively, used Rooney in the hole, and made the strikeforce less lethal with Welbeck there when his best trait is to be a workhorse. I think it would work if they put players in their right position, but Moyes will never try something like that.

Lightning

Banned
United were unlucky against Southampton. Simple as that, very harsh to lay the blame on Rooney.

He's performing much better than Fellaini imo.

Lightning

Banned
Didn't seem unlucky to me and the stats agree

9XLxz8v.png
Stats can be misleading. On most other days they would have gotten their 2nd goal with the chances they had.

8 offsides from one team seems a little on the high side
I hope Southampton play that high line defence against us when we play them, you can punish them badly for that. United tried but mistimed it too much. Hopefully Ozil doesn't have that problem.

United were unlucky against Southampton. Simple as that, very harsh to lay the blame on Rooney.

He's performing much better than Fellaini imo.

I didn't even talk about Rooney's form. It was more about his play style. If we're talking about form, he's been bad the past 3 games with his bad touch and generally getting dispossessed. Everyone always talks about Shinji being easily overpowered and dispossessed, but ignore Rooney being dispossessed, which has happened to him more.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Prediction...uhm

Things for certain:
Fiorentina will score first as a result of a defensive mistake
Buffon partly to blame
We'll try to come back from behind, only this time, we won't
Better performance/less shitty in the second half
Isla will be the worst player on the pitch
Isla will be the worst player on the bench
Isla is the worst player in Serie A
Llorente will look fabulous. #TumblrGoldmine

Draw at best, and we'll fucking love it.

That's too narrow for the narrow-minded Moyes innit.

What's Yawnuzaj's best position again?

WJD

8 offsides from one team seems a little on the high side

Mixture of Southampton playing a very high line and RVP still not being completely in sync with others at the moment.

On the balance of things we did have the better chances, but still got dominated territorially and in possession. Had more than enough to put the game to bed well before the 89th minute but we didn't and Moyes shit himself.

Salazar

I agree, but they were far from outplayed from half watching the game at the same time as Chelsea... and when they then start to go into defensive mode the last few minutes they got what was coming to therm.

Yep.

And Fellaini really was fucking atrocious. He's not incapable of relatively quick and prudent distribution - he just wasn't doing it. Played like he had a migraine.

ClevGod is handily the superior option as things stand. Fellaini wasn't even winning the aerial shit or bossing 50-50s.

WJD

Yep.

And Fellaini really was fucking atrocious. He's not incapable of relatively quick and prudent distribution - he just wasn't doing it. Played like he had a migraine.

ClevGod is handily the superior option as things stand. Fellaini wasn't even winning the aerial shit or bossing 50-50s.

Aye, hoping we can put his ineptitude merely down to poor form rather than poor purchase, instruction and barnet. Not the first time a CM has looked completely lost in a Moyes team though.

Rad-

I have always felt that Rooney's best position would actually be on the wing, when looking at his qualities as a player. He isn't playamaker enough as a AMC and he is too good defensively to put him as the top striker. But he starts bitching when played on a wing.

sohois

The problem with that is Rooney again. He doesn't want to play any other position. It would force him to play out wide a little more than his normal position. Besides, Nani would be much better in that role. Fergie tried the diamond last season to incorporate all of the attackers, but failed because he lined them up like this:

--------------------------Carrick-----------------------
------Kagawa/Valencia--------Cleverley/Kagawa--------
-------------------------Rooney----------------------
--------------Welbeck-----------Van Persie------------

It failed to utilize Kagawa behind the striker(s) and made him play much more defensively, used Rooney in the hole, and made the strikeforce less lethal with Welbeck there when his best trait is to be a workhorse. I think it would work if they put players in their right position, but Moyes will never try something like that.

If only there was some formation, some way to fit in 2 strikers and an Attacking midfielder. Moyes would never go for it I suppose. still:

--------Vidic-Ferd/Jones/Smalling-Evans-----
Rafael--------------------------------------------Evra
----------------Carrick-----Fellaini------------------
------------------------Kagawa-----------------------
--------------Rooney-----------RVP-----------------

The main weakness is Evra, but replace him with Baines and baby, you've got a stew going.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
During yesterday's training session Conte & Vidal were seen talking for no less than 30 mins

ACCORDING TO TUTTOSPORT

Vidal decided 'I wasn't going to play [vs Fiorentina] anyway, so it wouldn't matter if I came back 1 day late.

Vidal's decision infuriated Conte, Marotta & Agnelli, who knew that he'd miss Fiorentina, but it's no excuse for him to miss training

As a result, Vidal has been hit with a hefty-fine whose figure will remain private between the club & player

Sell him to United

You're no king of mine.

Salazar

I have always felt that Rooney's best position would actually be on the wing, when looking at his qualities as a player. He isn't playamaker enough as a AMC and he is too good defensively to put him as the top striker. But he starts bitching when played on a wing.

That match-fixer's header back towards our goal, lol.

dc89

CATEGORISATION TIME

S-tier attacking PL players

Suarez
Van Persie
Ozil

A-tier attacking PL players

Mata
Cazorla
Rooney

'Keep it going and you'll be top quality' PL players

Sturridge
Ramsey
Lukaku

Any of you guys ever seen a 4k TV?

Yep. Amazing.

I've seen the Chelsea club World Cup game upresed to 4K and then I've seen stuff in native 4k.

Both amazing.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Alright 'll chip in

----------RVP-Rooney-------
--------------Kagawa------------
--Fellaini-Carrick-ClevDOG--
---------[back four]----------
---------------GK------------

Might as well get rid of your wingers United

3Sixty

United were over run in midfield yesterday. Simples. They may have had more clear cut chances to score more goals but they never had control of the game.

Saints could have been 1-0 up before United got any chances if JRod wasn't shit.

We more than deserved a point despite not playing our best.

They'll get raped at St. Mary's

deroli

How is my boy Nuri doing?

He's far away from his brilliant 10/11 form. If Gündogan was fit, Sahin wouldn't be in the starting eleven. He plays some great passes from time to time, but he isn't able to guide our team or to initiate a large number of attacks. I'd say he is one of the weaker players in our current starting eleven.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
At what point do we accept that Ramsey is in the Gundogan/Veratti tier?

When he's done it for a full season. I think he will keep getting better but right now he's just a player in exceptional form, not an exceptional player. If he steers clear of injury and the rest of his team-mates keep playing the way they are, I don't see why he wouldn't become a top class player
for City.

Salvadora

When he's done it for a full season. I think he will keep getting better but right now he's just a player in exceptional form, not an exceptional player. If he steers clear of injury and the rest of his team-mates keep playing the way they are, I don't see why he wouldn't become a top class player
for City.
He signed a new 5(?) year contract last season.

Easily an exceptional player for me, this form has been up for like, 2+ months now? He stands above the rest of a very exceptional team.

GorillaJu

Easily an exceptional player for me, this form has been up for like, 2+ months now? He stands above the rest of a very exceptional team.

2 months isn't nearly long enough, though. And he was shit for a very long period of time. I'm not saying it won't happen, but he's not there yet.

sohois

At what point do we accept that Ramsey is in the Gundogan/Veratti tier?

Is Verrati in that tier? Looking good for Italy youth teams is a big difference from being one of the world's best midfielders.

edit:

OddMorsel said:
2 months isn't nearly long enough, though. And he was shit for a very long period of time. I'm not saying it won't happen, but he's not there yet.

Indeed, Arsenal fans don't even need to look very far for confirmation of this, Nasri is a prime example. He had half a season at the top and has never looked as good again.

Salvadora

It isn't enough for a definitive conclusion on the player, but I'm watching him week in week out against all levels of competition and he is just incredible. Like, seriously. Always looks like scoring, Zidane-esque play. He's got the works Odd.

Ushojax

2 months in the grand scheme is naff all. Ramsey is playing very, very well but aside from Tottenham and Napoli I wouldn't say he's done it against anybody that good. Let's see if he can keep it going when the real slog starts and he's coming up against some stronger teams. Like I said, I expect he will reach that top level but it's too early to call. Arsenal have played one team from the top half of the table (half-assembled Spurs) and that's it.

GorillaJu

It isn't enough for a definitive conclusion on the player, but I'm watching him week in week out against all levels of competition and he is just incredible. Like, seriously. Always looks like scoring, Zidane-esque play. He's got the works Odd.

I'm not doubting you, but many players go through phases of truly amazing form, and then drop off. It takes a long time and a lot of consistency for the wider public to consider a player world class.

Ushojax

I can't wait for the match today, having to wait 2 weeks has been excruciating. Annoying that Benteke will make his comeback but hopefully Vertonghen has him covered. Jan has actually been quite shit this season (by his standards), I hope he is ready. With Kaboul coming back and our weakness on set-pieces there is an argument that Dawson/Kaboul might be a better option than a pairing involving Vertonghen. In the last two games he's been bossed by Torres and beaten by Winston Reid and Ravel Morrison.

Also:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto 14h Today bad result 2/2... But tmw im goin to wotch my spurs team!!!! Best luck for them�� lol #coys

AVB you are a bad man. Disco forever.

Arnie

Is Verrati in that tier? Looking good for Italy youth teams is a big difference from being one of the world's best midfielders.

He's been excellent for PSG since he moved from Pescara. Just because the Italian national team don't look to idolise its youngsters like us English doesn't mean he's not at a very high level.

I agree that it's probably better to judge Ramsey at the end of the season, but there's no getting around the fact that he's been sensational. Usho's also right that he hasn't done it against a top team yet, though, given that Spurs were still sorting themselves out (and still are somewhat).

It's also why I can't be too excited about Liverpool's start, because we've yet to play a top team. And when we have faced a better side like Southampton we got shown up. For me it's how Rodgers takes these initial batch of fixtures and effects the team that'll decide our fate this season. Going to write up something more substantial but essentially we need to pick and choose when to use the 3-5-2. I'd definitely stick with it against Arsenal; we aren't winning that midfield battle anyway.

With Kaboul coming back
Made Kaboul my statement signing for Shakhtar on FM14 last night. First question in the press conference was about his fitness. I gulped.

Also signed Carlos Vela and Fernando (from Porto). That means I can make a double pivot of two Brazilian Fernando's. If only I still had Fernandinho.

Top Bottom