• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

sohois

Not really much in the game, but Arsenal got it done in the end. Liverpool could have scored a bundle but contrived to mess up every attack. The double mistake at the end really summed it up, first you have the Sczez blunder which any other day could have been an easy goal but just went straight back to him, then Arsenal went out of their way to gift Liverpool a chance and the players still messed it up.

I though Sakho was Liverpool's best player today, good in both positions. Skrtel generally did well, Flanno was fine and Coutinho was good coming on but otherwise disappointing in most areas. It looks like Gerrard is going to drag down performances the same way Carra did in his twilight years, with the manager too afraid to drop him. Lucas is already pretty languid so pairing him with someone so immobile is just a recipe for disaster. Hendo can cover for them against a team like West Brom but it won't work against a midfield with quality like Arsenal. Allen should have come on at the 55th minute.

As for Arsenal, well Ozil was completely anonymous. They really began to fall apart at the end as well, no way they are going to be challenging for the title with their lack of depth.

Suen

yeah he was real quality for us, a great buy. I had thought he deserved to be 1st choice this season, but Gibbs has upped his game a lot. For me he has been the best LB in the league this season.
Gibbs have been amazing this season. Deserves to have the first spot but Monreal is such a good player that I just wish to see more from him. I wonder how he would do as a CB.

Three deserved point. Giroud and Özil were the two most disappointing players for me today. Giroud for that chance he had to score mostly and Özil for being anonymous. Other than that I think we played great, our passes are beautiful and Ramsey continues to show what a player he is. Where was all this energy and motivationwhen we played against Chelsea earlier this week? Anyway almost a perfect day with a Newcastle win! Based Horses!

Fuck....I can't believe that we might really be the strongest challengers for the title this season! Five points clear from Chelsea who are looking amazing this season
(not today)
, Wilbrrrrrrr & Arsenal-haters CO. am cry :looooooool.

Dortmund next, we really need to win against them!

edit: we did lots of errors though, most of them could have costed us our win. We really really need a huge improvement there. We let the ball away very easily.

pulga

Banned
Dhcngs4.jpg

Everton is above United with one less game?

Moyes, you made a huge mistake.

bud

suarez and sturridge are liverpool's most important players and they were expertly neutralized (again, especially koscielny was magnificent). without them, this liverpool team isn't all that. that's why i'm disappointed with this performance even though the result is perfect. they should've battered liverpool.

giroud's my man of the match. he has grown into such a great, technical striker. he didn't score--although he should have made at least one goal--but he was so important in arsenal's linkup play.

against a proper team like dortmund, though, this isn't going to be enough.

Arnie

Congrats to Arsenal, what a fucking brilliant team

and LiverpoolGAF, you're still 2nd and the season is long. Losing an away games ain't so bad. ;)
I'm not too distraught. We're still joint second.

Just fussed at how lifeless our play is sometimes. I want us to fuck the 3-5-2 off and return to the system that had us murdering teams last season.

And we're desperate for a top quality central midfielder with a spring in his step.

Anderson

Take a draw against United next weekend. Needed the win today as the others round us have quite comfortable games next week.

Dortmund I have no idea what to expect, we looked tired towards the end there, will need a huge effort to get anything out of Dortmund

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Madrid paying the refs again.

Player is on loan from Spurs as well.

pulga

Banned
LOOOOOOOOL

Tough luck Vallecano, if the other cunt wouldn't have deflected the ball it would've been a legit goal

CARLO PLS STOP FUCKING AROUND THOUGH

jtb

Banned
Giroud was totally ineffective today. Without pace on the flanks, he seems totally unable to score. Like half of his goals have been some kind of short, quick cross on the counter from Theo. Gonna have to do better than that against Dortmund and United.

We'll need to play well for the full 90. We had a very good first half performance today, but switched off for the second. That should be expected after making 3 sub's at ht tho.

Marwan didn't look like complete shit either.

I still think Arsenal are a team of pussies so if we scare them we should be able to win but right now not sure how scary Manited can be.

There's CL midweek right?

Suen

Please beat them next week David Mong.

Going to rid the sight of a gassed Gerrard from my mind by playing SMG2 with my little brother. I need to escape to a colourful place.
:lol

ARNIE BENZEMA SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEED!!! JANUARY PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

edit: HNNNNG BALE ASSIST!!!!!!!!!!!

Walshy

Congrats to the Arsenal fans on here, you lot was fantastic today. Ramsey and Arteta ran the midfield. Arsenal are by far the most convincing of title challengers so far.

Liverpool today was poor. Skrtel was solid, Mig did a few decent saves and Sakho and Flanagan were solid. Everyone else was awful, Suarez tried to do it all himself, Cissokho was terrible and the entire midfield was non existent. Still joint second so hopefully we can bounce back and try for the top four.

sohois

I'm not too distraught. We're still joint second.

Just fussed at how lifeless our play is sometimes. I want us to fuck the 3-5-2 off and return to the system that had us murdering teams last season.

And we're desperate for a top quality central midfielder with a spring in his step.

3-5-2 just doesn't work without proper fullbacks, but for me is a much better setup when Johnson and Enrique are fit.

feel

Xabi Alonso nonchalantly turned that from a dangerous Rayo play to a Madrid goal. Such class.

edit-
stop quoting that Mangala gif *cringe*

L1NETT

Do people still not think arsenal are title contenders.

I know it's early, but they look proper good And for me have the best midfield in the league. Only questions is the strength of the squad.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Giroud was totally ineffective today. Without pace on the flanks, he seems totally unable to score. Like half of his goals have been some kind of short, quick cross on the counter from Theo. Gonna have to do better than that against Dortmund and United.
He can't do much against a back three. He needs the wide players to stretch them out.

on paper a 4-2-3-1 is the anti 3-5-2 though.

3-5-2 just doesn't work without proper fullbacks, but for me is a much better setup when Johnson and Enrique are fit.

If we had Baines, it'd be such a good setup. We don't though. We have a really good attacking right back, a good balanced rightback and 2 mediocre leftbacks

Want Agger back in the team, someone comfortable both passing and running out of the backline

Clegg

I still think Arsenal are a team of pussies so if we scare them we should be able to win but right now not sure how scary Manited can be.

There's CL midweek right?
Yeah, we're playing Sociedad away. Tricky fixture, but if we win we're almost guaranteed qualification for the 2nd round. That would be a genuinely excellent result for this team and for Moyes especially.

Marwan will sit on Ramsey and Clev will run rings around little Jack, just like he did last season.

Salvadora

I know it's early, but they look proper good And for me have the best midfield in the league. Only questions is the strength of the squad.
We're not title contenders.

An injury to Mertesacker or Koscielny and we'll drop like a rock. Ditto with Giroud.

Suen

5 points clear at the top of the table is an enviable position to be in.

Time to go to David Moyes' place.
and we'll come out with three points with minimal effort while Shinji is benched and RVPs tears fly away from the force of Ramsey's beautiful shots.

faridmon

I honestly think they could win the league. They do have their confidence back. They will concede goals, no doubt about that, but they will also score goals.

Its amazing to see what confidence doing for a team.

Top Bottom