• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Gerrard isn't good enough though.

Fixed that for you.

I'd go for an Allen - Henderson - Coutinho midfield. Lucas was at fault for the second goal today, didn't close down Ramsey quick enough.

You should watch that replay again, he was covering a man and had to come back to try to get to Ramsey by then it was too late. Not his fault at all.

Bullshit, he's stronger, faster than anyone he faces, players just can't get crosses in against him. Only ever seen 2 wingers give him a hard time, Nathan Dyer for some reason and Antonio Valencia when he was in top form.

--

I think it's a little silly to say that Arsenal are not title contenders because of possible injuries to Giroud or Mertesacker, any team would drop heavily when you take away their best players, even Chelsea or City would be considerably weaker without 2 of their best.

I see people bag on Enrique all the time but I'm glad someone else actually notice the stuff I really notice.

pulga

Banned
Can we switch to a 4-2-3-1 now?

Carvajal - Ramos - Pepe - Marcelo
---------------Xabi - Modric
-------Cristiano - Isco - Bale
------------------Morata

Scum

Back to Arkham City then.

Isn't Merte slow against counter attacking play?

I don't think your defence is the best but I think your offence is your best defence.

Farid-chan, do us a favour. Send your mob out on a piss up tonight and grant us 3pts tomorrow. Okay?

Fergie

Banned
DAT BALE DEFENDING

Ronaldo you utter wanker. Sell him, shower Bale with gold
Bale and Neymar displacing Messi and Ronaldo.

878969e78db6841b377e7459c4d567b6_large

As an American, I've only been following football since the '05-'06 season (my girlfriend at the time supported Newcastle and told me to pick a team, so I chose the team Newcastle played that day—Arsenal); it feels so weird finally having absolute confidence in the team after all this time.

Zabojnik

Allegri must've made some sort of deal with the diavolo. Whatever result is bad for Milan yet somehow good enough to keep him in charge for at least one more week, that's what Milan will get. Tonight it's ... a draw, I guess?

Suen

Can we switch to a 4-2-3-1 now?

Carvajal - Ramos - Pepe - Marcelo
---------------Xabi - Modric
-------Cristiano - Isco - Bale
------------------Morata
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!! This is how we should start every game except that Jese should be given some chances as well.

Scum

As an American, I've only been following football since the '05-'06 season (my girlfriend at the time supported Newcastle and told me to pick a team, so I chose the team Newcastle played that day—Arsenal); it feels so weird finally having absolute confidence in the team after all this time.

How long have you been with Kyoufu?
:p

Lightning

Banned
Isn't Merte slow against counter attacking play?

I don't think your defence is the best but I think your offence is your best defence.
Merte is slow against counter attacking play but his positional play is outstanding. Unlike Kos Merte makes very good decisions and is usually very calm in situations. Many dangerous situations simply don't happen because Merte sees it coming and us already there. Kos is a reaction based defender which can make him look great or an idiot depend on the outcome if his action.

I like Merte more because he's a lot safer than Kos. They need protecting though which is where Arteta is fantastic and Flamini is also fantastic.

Arteta was such a great buy. A cool, calm, collected leader.

Walshy

He'll be banging hot aussie broads and slamming shrimps on the barbie with Ale or whatever those backwards fucks call it and you'll be happy for him
I hope we give him a league title first but I doubt we will if that happens.

Although Gerrard did turn down Bayern down in 2012.

Bullshit, he's stronger, faster than anyone he faces, players just can't get crosses in against him. Only ever seen 2 wingers give him a hard time, Nathan Dyer for some reason and Antonio Valencia when he was in top form.
I don't agree with that. He's prone to many mistakes from set pieces especially. Sure on one on one situations he's fantastic, but often he get caught out defensively through either positioning, committing forward to much or dead ball situations.

You was spot on about Flanno/Cissokho today btw.

Fixed that for you.
No. Lucas has shown his 2011 form once, against WBA last week. Besides that, he's been average.

Lucas wouldn't get in any of the current top eight's midfields besides probably United, even then I think it's a bit of a stretch.

pulga

Banned
Allegri must've made some sort of deal with the diavolo. Whatever result is bad for Milan yet somehow good enough to keep him in charge for at least one more week, that's what Milan will get. Tonight it's ... a draw, I guess?

I think it's more a combination of Berlusco not giving a fuck anymore and Milan being too cheap to pay Max off and hire a someone new.

Salvadora

If we're in a similar position at the end of this month then I would consider us contenders. 5 points is nothing in this league (at this stage).
I don't think we'll drop as fast as you think. We would find things much harder though but we possibly have Flamini and Walcott back for United.

Against the top teams we would struggle without Merte and Kos but I think we would still beat midtable teams with Vermaelen playing. Walcott and Podolski can replace Giroud for a period if necessary. He's good but not that good.
Flamini and Walcott back for United would be brilliant.

Even just for a presence on the bench. Two players who offer different qualities for different situations we may face. Walcott especially would help our counter-attacking game.
Koscielny - Mertesacker is the best CB partnership in the league btw imo
I don't know if it's the best, but it is working incredibly well.

Both players just compliment each other. It just seems to work.

Arnie

We're playing Kinect adventures rather than SMG2.

Someone stick a bullet in me.

In fact, I want Ramsey to pull the trigger.

Arteta: 120 touches, 94% pass completion, 7 tackles. Amazing.

Coutinho was really inventive when he came on, top talent. The Anfield faithful will get their money's worth watching him behind Suarez & Sturridge.

I thought Arteta was our best player on the pitch tonight.

There is no way Theo is going to get in this team

Yeah he will, and very quickly. There's no player in the squad who'll benefit from Ozil more than Theo. In fact, I'd say that's finally when we'll be at our best - we need that incisiveness.

Suen

Not really. Look at how many penalties Kos has given away. Merte is very good though.
Yeah I don't think Kos has been that great, he's done so many stupid decisions that shouldn't have happened. He's like a big risk to me....he can be amazing but turn everything to hell in a matter of seconds when he does stupid challenges in the penalty box.

Agree that Podolski could replace Giroud temp. Giroud is on a brilliant run this season but he's not that great that we'd collapse from not having him there for some games. Podolski can do more than a fine job of replacing him for a while, he's a decent back up. Our squad depth is worrying though and could deal us a huge blow. Is there any chance that we'll reinforce our squad with new players in January? Who are we keeping an eye on?

I don't agree with that. He's prone to many mistakes from set pieces especially. Sure on one on one situations he's fantastic, but often he get caught out defensively through either positioning, committing forward to much or dead ball situations.

No. Lucas has shown his 2011 form once, against WBA last week. Besides that, he's been average.

Lucas wouldn't get in any of the current top eight's midfields besides probably United, even then I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Sorry but that's a load of shit. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Yeah he will, and very quickly. There's no player in the squad who'll benefit from Ozil more than Theo. In fact, I'd say that's finally when we'll be at our best. We need that incisiveness.

In every loss or draw since Theo's been out, his presence (or a presence just like his) has been exactly what we've been missing. He will get into the team, without a doubt.

jtb

Banned
Theo gets too much shit from Arsenal fans. He's been our second best player for the past two seasons and even when he has a bad game (and he has quite a few of them), we are are markedly better team with him than without him.

pulga

Banned
CRISTIANO GOOOOOAAAAL!!

AND YET ANOTHER BALE ASSIST HNNNNGGGGG HOLY FUCK WHAT A PLAY

#RISEOFTHEPLANETOFTHEAPES

Lightning

Banned
Theo gets too much shit from Arsenal fans. He's been our second best player for the past two seasons and even when he has a bad game (and he has quite a few of them), we are are markedly better team with him than without him.
I've been saying the exact same thing. I really want Theo back in the team, in time for United would be very welcome. I thought Rosciky played very well today but Theo would be much better in my opinion.

I don't like Cissokho/Enrique as our LB options either, really. We should go back in time and grab Aurelio from 08/09 and have him and Enrique. I want to like Cissokho because he was one of my long-term generals on an old FM game but he's not impressed me.

sohois

I wouldn't say Lucas has been average, he's had some good games and some great games since he came back. Mostly I'm just replying to point out that he wold deffo get into Chelsea's midfield as well - I'm not sure why people never include them as a team with a crap midfield. Ramires is fine but never been as good as he was when he arrived, Lampard is even more past it than Gerrard and Mikel is proper crap.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
paging Zabo

Conte slightly over-celebrated when Paul Pogba turned in the rebound from Fabio Quagliarella’s shot against the bar.

“Usually Angelo Alessio holds me up when I celebrate, but this time he didn’t hold me and we both fell over!"
-
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYFunaTIAAAynAY.jpg[img]

lol, Gary :([/QUOTE]

seriously, what the hell was he thinking?

Top Bottom