• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Suen

Giroud's lack of pace really holds him back.

Sometimes he completely gets the better of the defenders on him but can make anything of it because they can always recover. Bit annoying, but we've really missed a player like him with that amount of strength and the ability to hold the ball up. Szczesny's distribution has got way better recently too which helps us.
Giroud is all about strenght and keeping the ball, he has zero pace. This is why I think that a Giroud - Walcott combo isn't all that great. Fire and water.

Lightning

Banned
Really?

Bale played great in a number of "big games" for Spurs?
He disappeared in a great number too. Saying Ozil disappears in big games is false, like me saying Bale disappears in every big game.

Napoli for example was a big game, Ozil was brilliant that game and won us the match in the first 20 minutes but that's forgetten...

pulga

Banned
Yeah but you originally didn't understand why United fans wanted him out.

I still don't think you do either.

I do, my problem with you guys was how utterly ridiculous you sounded.

All those formations without Rooney in them. I loled so much.

Salvadora

I'd hate to incur Pulga's wrath, but Ozil certainly didn't disappear for 88 minutes tonight.

So far he has been an integral part of our season and even got an assist tonight as well as having/creating some great chances..He plays a big part in our passing game. It seems like unless a player scores or assists he gets marked as "invisible". Which in this case is absurd especially as he was on the assist sheet tonight.

pulga

Banned
He disappeared in a great number too. Saying Ozil disappears in big games is false, like me saying Bale disappears in every big game.

It's false? Exuse me? You've seen him play - what - ten matches for Arsenal and suddenly you're the Ozil expert?

I watched him for three years. His amazing vision is only matched by his uncanny ability to disappear when the team needs him the most.

Suen

Napoli for example was a big game, Ozil was brilliant that game and won us the match in the first 20 minutes but that's forgetten...
I don't know if I'm one of the few Madrid fans who never bought the "Özil disappears in big games" excuse. He doesn't, but he disappears in games yes.

pulga

Banned
I'd hate to incur Pulga's wrath, but Ozil certainly didn't disappear for 88 minutes tonight.

So far he has been an integral part of our season and even got an assist tonight as well as having/creating some great chances..He plays a big part in our passing game. It seems like unless a player scores or assists he gets marked as "invisible". Which in this case is absurd especially as he was on the assist sheet tonight.

Cazorla seemed a much bigger influence than Ozil today, and certainly not because he got on the scoresheet.

Salvadora

Cazorla seemed a much bigger influence than Ozil today, and certainly not because he got on the scoresheet.
All of our midfielders were better than Ozil tonight, but that does not make him invisible.

We've the best midfield in the country, sometimes some shine more than others. It happens. On another night Ozil would've been the one we would be waxing lyrical about and has been in the past.

Suen

I do have to disagree here. Someone of Özil's quality should do much more than just an assist and pass some balls, he was not among our strongest players out there today. Fair enough, he doesn't have to be each time and some Arse fans might think he put a decent effort into the game today but when Özil plays a good game you really notice it. Assists, impossible-looking passes, amazing at picking out the right players at the right time etc. Shit, he's so good then.

Lightning

Banned
It's false? Exuse me? You've seen him play - what - ten matches for Arsenal and suddenly you're the Ozil expert?

I watched him for three years. His amazing vision is only matched by his uncanny ability to disappear when the team needs him the most.
Madrid are one of the most watched teams on the planet but pretend only you watched him. none of us watched his matches for Germany, of course not.

Suen, all players disappear in games. I can give you plenty of games for us when Fabregas done fuck all. That's the point of a team and having more than 1 star. Can't shine all the time and shouldn't have to.

Giroud's lack of pace really holds him back.

Sometimes he completely gets the better of the defenders on him but can make anything of it because they can always recover. Bit annoying, but we've really missed a player like him with that amount of strength and the ability to hold the ball up. Szczesny's distribution has got way better recently too which helps us.

Agreed, I'd like us to buy a poacher in January/the summer; someone like Hernandez would be brilliant for us. Chesney has got loads better too, still cocky though. He needs to cut that out :lol

pulga

Banned
All of our midfielders were better than Ozil tonight, but that does not make him invisible.

We've the best midfield in the country, sometimes some shine more than others. It happens. On another night Ozil would've been the one we would be waxing lyrical about and has been in the past.

But Ozil cost all that money though. He should be held to a higher standard.

At least that's what I've learned on GAF, where if Bale doesn't score a hattrick and 6 assists in a game he's a flop. Seems fair to me the same standards should apply across the board.

Suen

Madrid are one of the most watched teams on the planet but pretend only you watched him. none of us watched his matches for Germany, of course not.

Suen, all players disappear in games. I can give you plenty of games for us when Fabregas done fuck all. That's the point of a team and having more than 1 star. Can't shine all the time and shouldn't have to.
But how frequently do they disappear? Asking the player to be godlike every match is not reasonable I very much agree on that, but then players get shit thrown all the time if they stay inconsistent for a period of the season. Özil has no consistency throughout the whole season so why does he get a special status? Someone who's previously played at Madrid shouldn't even have those problems. If he wasn't so fucking good at what he does we would benched him in Madrid for someone who can at least have 3-5 fives good games in a row.

Elchele

Özil always scored/assisted in RM important matches. Usually when you don't notice a player is because he's actually doing his part right, and not making mistakes.

Clegg

Have to disagree with Wilbury on Rooney's performance today. He was our best player and the heart of our best attacking play.

Still a potato faced cunt, but he's not crap. He's far from it actually. In better form than I've seen him in for a couple of seasons.

Maybe not world class right now, but if he keeps up with his excellent output for the rest of the season then you'd have to consider it.

Salvadora

I do have to disagree here. Someone of Özil's quality should do much more than just an assist and pass some balls, he was not among our strongest players out there today. Fair enough, he doesn't have to be each time and some Arse fans might think he put a decent effort into the game today but when Özil plays a good game you really notice it. Assists, impossible-looking passes, amazing at picking out the right players at the right time etc. Shit, he's so good then.
He definitely should have finished those chances he created for himself, for sure. Hopefully he has a great game next week! We need it.
But Ozil cost all that money though. He should be held to a higher standard.

At least that's what I've learned on GAF, where if Bale doesn't score a hattrick and 6 assists in a game he's a flop. Seems fair to me the same standards should apply across the board.
And if you'd said "Ozil should have played better" instead of calling him invisible then we would've had nothing to disagree about. I haven't been paying attention to Madrid, so haven't a barmy about the Bale situation.

Lightning

Banned
But how frequently do they disappear? Asking the player to be godlike every match is not reasonable I very much agree on that, but then players get shit thrown all the time if they stay inconsistent for a period of the season. Özil has no consistency throughout the whole season so why does he get a special status? Someone who's previously played at Madrid shouldn't even have those problems. If he wasn't so fucking good at what he does we would benched him in Madrid for someone who can at least have 3-5 fives good games in a row.
But Ozil's assists stats for Madrid were outstanding and so far his Arsenal stats are outstanding but early days in his Arsenal career but Ozil against Bayern Munich in that semi final was fantastic. Remember Cazorla last season and how many games he disappeared? If I recall, quite a few.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :lol. You're nothing more than Milol this season :(

The Milan fans just unfurled a giant banner reading "We did warn you we needed a defender and midfielder..."

Writing was on the wall this season. Galliani fucked up big time over the summer, he might deserve to get fired in addition to Max, I hate to say it.

Blablurn

Pep in an interview after the game:

"I have to correct my concept. I will tell my players first what this mean. It's about tactical stuff. We have to improve ourselves to win the league.

"I'm surprised by this level (of the league). It's completely different when you play against a German team in Europe. The stadiums are sold out, the teams are dangerous. This is a big test for me as a coach."

"I still need time to get to know my own team... and the other teams. But of course you don't have time in football".

Elchele

"I have to correct my concept. I will tell my players first what this mean. It's about tactical stuff. We have to improve ourselves to win the league.

"I'm surprised by this level (of the league). It's completely different when you play against a German team in Europe. The stadiums are sold out, the teams are dangerous. This is a big test for me as a coach."

"I still need time to get to know my own team... and the other teams. But of course you don't have time in football".

bring back the 4-2-3-1, you ass

pulga

Banned
But Ozil's assists stats for Madrid were outstanding and so far his Arsenal stats are outstanding but early days in his Arsenal career but Ozil against Bayern Munich in that semi final was fantastic. Remember Cazorla last season and how many games he disappeared? If I recall, quite a few.

Ozil's stats were fantastic because we were demolishing minnow teams left and right.

I don't why you gooners get in a fit when it comes to Ozil. He's fantastic when he's in the zone, but when he's not (and that happens many times during the season) it's like playing with 10 men. Deal with it, you didn't buy Messi or Ronaldo. But stop trying to make Ozil out into something he's not.

Salvadora

Ozil's stats were fantastic because we were demolishing minnow teams left and right.

I don't why you gooners get in a fit when it comes to Ozil. He's fantastic when he's in the zone, but when he's not (and that happens many times during the season) it's like playing with 10 men. Deal with it, you didn't buy Messi or Ronaldo. But stop trying to make Ozil out into something he's not.

sagnagoesatit.gif

It isn't a fit, you're spreading blatant misinformation.

pulga

Banned

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL Pep please, you're not fooling anyone.

It's like fucking doing the SAT with a cheat sheet in your pocket.

Suen

They were outstanding but he had the potential to do so much more if he lasted 90 minutes and didn't disappear in random games. Cazorla has improved lots since then and I can't deny that Özil is looking much stronger now than what he did in Madrid (especially in his last season there). His biggest improvement imo is in attack, he takes the opportunities he gets to score which he rarely did in Madrid. Surprisingly he's also stayed active for 90 minutes in most of his games but I'll wait and see if that changes later in the season.

Elchele

The same could be said about Cristiano Ronaldo.
Özil was always the key player in RM important matches, like it or not. He may not be the one scoring most of the goals, but he was the one who started the whole play every time.

Clegg

Think we should go for Yoann Kebab in Jan.

£20m ought to do it.
He's a good player and in better form than last season, but imo we need to aim higher. However, we aren't signing world class players in Jan so he'd probs be the best we could do for that window.

Top Bottom