• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

dc89

BYVp_PYCEAA33Xr.jpg:large

BYVq8RECAAEtTDH.jpg:large

A few points on last night:

1. Fellaini was gud. Covered space well and frustrated them. Passing wasn't super incisive or creative but that's not strictly his job. That's what Giggs was there for and Giggs failing to do so put pressure on Fellaini.

2. Shinji through the centre was also gud. I do hope Moyes saw and appreciated the difference it makes. Conversely, in tandem with his performance at Fulham, he's so muted on the left wing. Moreover, it nullifies our width and crowds the centre too much.

3. Most other days we would've walked away with a comfortable 2-3 goal win. Chicha and RVP misses were very out of character.

4. Please no more Smalling at RB. Kills our flank. Valencia wasn't awful but he's certainly not at his best either. He's the type of winger that does need an overlap to be at his most effective. Valencia was fucking irritating me by sitting so high and narrow much of the time though.

5. Youngy18 makes me feel sad in my penis.

6. Evra was gud. I feel like I need to point this out sometimes to help balance out all the flack he gets when he fucks up.

Yen

Someone ate a packet of my jaffa cakes, my back is sore, and I burnt my tongue at Starbucks. Horrendous start to the day/first world problems.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Milan in a mess of their own making. (James Horncastle)

Good read

Allegri and Galliani are, from a certain perspective, the ‘useful idiots’ here. Blaming them distracts from the broader issue which is that Berlusconi should perhaps do what Massimo Moratti has done with Inter: accept that he can’t take the club forward or finance it like he did in the past quarter of a century and look for outside investment in order to do so. But that seems unlikely. And so Milan, at least for now, have to get creative.

Clegg

Aye.

Fellaini wasn't crap, which is a level up.

It's fucking perplexing that Kagawa gets so much stick (though he has played many guff passes recently) for cutting in from the left. At least he tends to do it with some kind of decisiveness.

Young trots in at a gentle diagonal. No pressure on the fullbacks. No need for the centrebacks to pull over, push up or drop deeper, or really concern themselves in any degree. Fucking run to the flag once in a while. It's not complicated, but you know what ? It fucking works. They chase you. At the very least, they worry about you getting round the outside.
Young has been thoroughly sussed out by opposition managers. So he needs to develop a new facet to his game. But he's not quick enough to take players on the outside and his left foot isn't good enough either. He's just average in every way possible. So is Valencia, but he has some impressive athleticism to fall back on.

Tc91

Lol Micah Richards after the sky coverage did some little clip.

"Remember remember the 5th of November, the end to the rot. The blue moon is rising, we've claimed our last 16th spot." *stupid laugh he does*

Massive.

Salazar

But he's not quick enough

It's quite possible that I'm too jaundiced to consider this in any reasonable fashion. Hard to judge. He can leg it when he knows he's been a cock and has to get back and pressure someone running towards our goal.

I struggle to even conceive of him pushing it long and trying to get around a player. I mean, even if your running-with-the-ball pace doesn't set the world on fire, there's always that option. And at a minimum, it turns the fullback around and makes his primary option a square pass or a backpass.

That quote is true. This one, though, it's not complete:
And the club, effectively run by Galliani since Berlusconi went into politics in the early '90s, no longer listens to its owner [guess they should have hired Seedorf then?]
The owner still says how we should play, even if he doesn't show up at San Siro except for 3-4 games during an entire season. Berlusconi said to Ancelotti to play with two strikers and Kakà behind them, yet we won a CL with Kakà-Seedorf behind Inzaghi.

Usually he talks too much when it's something related to formations and tactics (last summer we had to play like he said, with a 4-3-1-2 formation, which was pretty much awful to look at). He just disappears when it's time to talk about money and new players, in that case the club is ran by Galliani with the few millions left every summer.

I still think that Galliani is one of the best, if not the best, Italian football-CEO out there. His talent is simply wasted with this kind of club and nonexistent money. Allegri, on the other hand, is mediocre and shouldn't really be hired by any top club in the world, but at the same time it's becoming really hard finding a new manager willing to "save" us with these GK and defenders. The rest of the team is fine, but our backline is too fragile as of today, maybe Rami will fix everything, maybe not - in any case, except for Inzaghi and/or Seedorf I find it hard to sign a really good manager.

Arnie

One positive that undoubtedly comes from Young diving again is it is just another nail in his coffin. We're getting there United bros. It will soon be over.
You overestimate Moyes.

He's frightened of dismantling Fergie's title winning squad, even if Young's a glorified water boy.

Kagawa will be gone before Young.

Salazar

You overestimate Moyes.

He's frightened of dismantling Fergie's title winning squad, even if Young's a glorified water boy.

Kagawa will be gone before Young.

Begone, plausible-sounding git.

Sociedad coach Jagoba Arrasate was less certain.

"I couldn't really see it from the dug-out," he said.

"The player kind of folds. I would need to see all the replays from the TV."

It's like he's describing a passenger jet slamming into the ocean. Ashley Young makes even casual description veer away from the human.

Linius

So, Judgement day has arrived. De Boer is gonna switch at least five or six players it seems. Poulsen won't be playing, so that's an improvement. Boilesen, Schöne and Klaassen are probably gonna start tonight. So I wonder how it will all work out. We're in absolutely dire form and can't score goals at all so I just expect the worst.

bjaelke

Why is Young getting more stick than Riether got last game? They're both cheating, but one of them us risking seriously injuring the opposing player. Will never understand why diving is any more cheating than a tactical foul. It's judged the same. A tactical foul on someone who can create a goal scoring opportunity will give you a yellow card. So will diving. Both are deliberate cheatung. But dangerous tackles and injuring players with no attempt to get the ball is assault and could in some cases almost be considered a criminal offense. What Riether did last match is completely despicable and I can not understand how Young's diving is worse. Please explain if you don't agree.
The user behind this brilliant post has a Barcelona flair.

Yen

It's odd to see a European behemoth such as AC Milan
and Man United)
doing worse than Liverpool. Sic transit gloria mundi, innit?

It's odd to see a European behemoth such as AC Milan
and Man United)
doing worse than Liverpool. Sic transit gloria mundi, innit?

Happens to every club, sooner or later. I'm not even worried to be honest, as long as everything doesn't actually start falling around.

My personal issue with FM is that I keep buying the same young wonderkids for most of the teams I manage - I just have a compulsion of getting them over an overpriced English left-back in his thirties who'd want high wages and etc, which kind of kills some of the fun for me. Another issue is the damn 3D match-engine, and I know that I can swap it for the classic 2D pitch but dammit it's not the same! I just feel like an old Championship Manager 2004/2005 fogie, wanting to buy Negredo and Di Vaio again. :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Lloris is back in training today along with the rest of the squad, you'd imagine Friedel will play tomorrow though.

Elchele

Tbf it actually did happen to Bayern. They failed to qualify for the CL in the mid 2000's.

That's because Klinsmann was the coach :lol

edit: thought you were talking about doing worse than Liverpool. Yes, Bayern also had a shitty year and failed to qualify for CL under Hitzfeld

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ah well we've got a couple more games to win the group anyway.

Surely we can beat Sheriff at home with Friedel in goal? He's got his weaknesses but if we can beat Villa 4-0 with him then we can beat these Moldovan nobodies.

Tbf it actually did happen to Bayern. They failed to qualify for the CL in the mid 2000's.

The way they're organised means that blips will be blips though I think. They'll always have the finances and reputation to attract players to drag them out of the shit when they're in it. Especially combined with their mantra of buying the best players from their own league, with the advantage of that weakening the teams who could overtake them even if only temporarily.

Barca and Madrid are invincible because of the ridiculous TV deal

Top Bottom