• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Linius

Have any of you read this book?

17465493.jpg

It's pretty interesting, especially the statistical analysis and how it knocks down (what it says is) conventional wisdom.

Two Americans write a book about football and call it soccer on the cover of that book. That's not a good first impression :p

Wilbur

Banned
CL preview - http://wp.me/p43ICx-U (sorry to keep shilling it, even if you don't read it a click and an instant close would be lovely just so I get statty shit)

How confident are Arsenal fans tonight? And our Celtic guys? And Milan?

Constant might not play tonight, Emanuelson should be our LB. According to Sky, Allegri is thinking about leaving Balo on the bench and having Robinho on the pitch, basically like the match at San Siro.
CL preview - http://wp.me/p43ICx-U (sorry to keep shilling it, even if you don't read it a click and an instant close would be lovely just so I get statty shit)

How confident are Arsenal fans tonight? And our Celtic guys? And Milan?

I'm confident, I really am.

I'm confident that we're going to lose badly.

Still, confident.

Oh and I really like the blog, congrats everybody!

Salvadora

Disagree about the Flamini bit Wilburp.

Arteta is more than capable in that role and was outstanding against Liverpool. He doesn't make the rash challenges that Flamini does which makes it seem like he's imposing himself on the game, he's more subtle.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lapo Elkann (technically one of our owners): "CR7 is a little Portoguese bully-boy and will always be second to Messi."

LOOOOOOOOOOL LAPO NO STOP

Wilbur

Banned
Disagree about the Flamini bit Wilburp.

Arteta is more than capable in that role and was outstanding against Liverpool. He doesn't make the rash challenges that Flamini does which makes it seem like he's imposing himself on the game, he's more subtle.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch against Liverpool, but the difference between their midfield and Dortmund's is extraordinary. He was very good at moving to where the ball was going to be and making a tackle whereas I think you'll have to press the players just as much as you have to press into space tonight. Not that he'll have a poor game, but it's the same as Koscielny/Per; one proactive, one reactive would work well. Flamini and Arteta would have been good together, and I'd have been tempted to leave out Rosicky or Ozil to let Ramsey play as the peak in a midfield three.

Wilbur

Banned
Lapo Elkann (technically one of our owners): "CR7 is a little Portoguese bully-boy and will always be second to Messi."

LOOOOOOOOOOL LAPO NO STOP

Why is everyone going in HAM on my boy Ronnie :(

Been much better than Messi this season. Read in Sid Lowe's guardian bit today Messi has 42 goals in 43 games or something this year and Ronaldo has 59 in 51.

Probably the best in the world right now considering Messi's form and injury problems. Ribery and Aguero not far off.

Salvadora

I thought he was the best player on the pitch against Liverpool, but the difference between their midfield and Dortmund's is extraordinary. He was very good at moving to where the ball was going to be and making a tackle whereas I think you'll have to press the players just as much as you have to press into space tonight. Not that he'll have a poor game, but it's the same as Koscielny/Per; one proactive, one reactive would work well. Flamini and Arteta would have been good together, and I'd have been tempted to leave out Rosicky or Ozil to let Ramsey play as the peak in a midfield three.
Most of our players were poor against Dortmund last time, especially in the first half. Flamini offers a slightly different skill set to Arteta, but is more than capable of handling Dortmund on a good day. Cazorla will be the key player for us tonight I think. He's been absolute dynamite since his return.

Think a narrative is (and has been) building that has exaggerated Flamini's significance in this Arsenal side.

jtb

Banned
We'll pick up at least a point. Don't really have any particular reason to be confident, but I am.

And I totally agree that Flamini's importance has been overstated in the extreme. He's a good squad player but Ramsey/Arteta should be the first choice midfield pairing. Arteta can and should drop back while Ramsey goes forward, but Ramsey can win tackles too and he offers a dynamism and energy that Flamini just doesn't have anymore.

Wilbur

Banned
Most of our players were poor against Dortmund last time, especially in the first half. Flamini offers a slightly different skill set to Arteta, but is more than capable of handling Dortmund on a good day. Cazorla will be the key player for us tonight I think. He's been absolute dynamite since his return.

Think a narrative is (and has been) building that has exaggerated Flamini's significance in this Arsenal side.

Not for every game; it's like the Xavi argument I put forward a day or two ago. For the most part Arteta and Ramsey will absolutely do the business against sides but you're playing a side who press relentlessly, who will not be afraid to get stuck in and who have absolute boundless energy in attack and defence. Flamini is the right choice for a match like tonight I think; it's all about having that plan B and effectiveness against specific opponents as opposed to a blanket 'Flamini is important', if you know what I mean?

jtb

Banned
I think the biggest mistake against Dortmund the first time around was to play 5 immobile passers in midfield (Wilshere and Rosicky on the wings, iirc). That was a bad bad decision by Wenger, though I suspect there weren't a whole lot of other options. My memory's a little fuzzy. This Dortmund team are built to kill on the counter, but so are we. No Theo will be a blow, but Cazorla being back is very important for us.

Ramsey and Arteta in midfield should hopefully evolve into Ramsey and Wilshere in midfield; I hope they can find a way to balance their game against each other's weaknesses, because in theory, that is a physical, dynamic midfield pair on par with Fabregas/Flamini. And those two didn't have an Ozil to play in front of them.

if we can set out at Old Trafford with:

Ramsey-Arteta
Theo-Ozil-Cazorla
Giroud

like... we could lose. But we really really shouldn't.

operon

it's so great having Wilbur back. Your website should be available in audio form, for the visually impaired and we can hear your voice again

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Defiant Andre Villas-Boas stands by call to leave Hugo Lloris on - and reveals Romelu Lukaku hasn't apologised

He should really watch the footage back, defiant? Clueless more like. And it was clear the physios were trying to get him off the pitch and other Spurs players. AVB just watched like a lemon.

Also does Lukaku need to apologise? Does anyone really think he thought "Oh yeh, lets smash my knee into his head".

If our medical staff were not satisfied then they would never have allowed him onto the pitch. AVB didn't ignore them at all, they both made the same decision which was that Hugo was OK to carry on. The physios performed the relevant tests and concluded correctly that Lloris was alright.

I think AVB is right about Lukaku as well, one of the Football Weekly pundits said the same thing. I don't think it was malicious of Lukaku but he certainly could have avoided Lloris if he wished.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i hope the Arsenal Dortmund game is a thriller, real disappointed in their away performance at the Emirates, despite the cheeky win.

Meier

Orlando City are playing in a small stadium (not even a stadium really.. at a field) this season while their current stadium is renovated and the new permanent home is being built. If anyone is curious, here are the season ticket prices for 15 home games. This is in the 3rd division of US soccer:

BYZoXF4CQAAlBRq.jpg:large

Pretty expensive!

Linius

Tc91

That Walmart thread is just insane.

55" Samsung LED TV's being bought for $300. BF4, GTA V, Pokemon for $18 each.

Someone goofed.

LegoArmo

Linius, what's up with the reports of attacks in Amsterdam? I didn't think Dutch football had a problem with violence.

Do you guys just really hate Celtic?

Linius

They ordered it for pick up. Pictures of them in their cars etc with receipts.

If they are sold out they are phoning other places to price match it.

Lol, Americans go totally crazy over these prices I see. If I could pick up BF4 that cheap I'd do it. Well a few are getting lucky then :p

shortyme

Would British football-GAF be interested in doing a secret santa thing like they're doing in Brit-GAF?

(sorry Johnny Foreigners, but P+P would be a pain in the arse :p)

edit: What exactly are you supposed to buy a 1 month old baby for Christmas?

fuck you too then, no maple syrup for you.

Onesies. A bunch of them.

Linius

Linius, what's up with the reports of attacks in Amsterdam? I didn't think Dutch football had a problem with violence.

Do you guys just really hate Celtic?

Apparently there's been a bar fight between supporters of both sides and Celtic are being cunts about it on their website.

eciEFK2.jpg

Here's a pic of your boys on Dam square. Not much happening today.

LegoArmo

Apparently there's been a bar fight between supporters of both sides and Celtic are being cunts about it on their website.

http://i.imgur.com/eciEFK2.jpg

Here's a pic of your boys on Dam square. Not much happening today.

Video footage does make it look like an unprovoked attack by some wannabe hooligans who run away as soon as the police show up.

www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6570491/e24d2da2/ajax_hooligans_slopen_celtic_aanhangers.html

Apparently there's a lot of teams whose fans are in the city tonight. Must be pretty busy. I'd love to be there for the game.

Linius

Video footage does make it look like an unprovoked attack by some wannabe hooligans who run away as soon as the police show up.

www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6570491/e24d2da2/ajax_hooligans_slopen_celtic_aanhangers.html

Apparently there's a lot of teams whose fans are in the city tonight. Must be pretty busy. I'd love to be there for the game.

Oh yeah, that's a bunch of sad guys. These guys won't even be in the stadium tonight, I bet you 99% of that group isn't allowed in the Arena :p

But I read that PSV and Zagreb (fucking cunts) supporters are also in town. So yeah, if these Zagreb hooligans are looking for a brawl too things can get nasty I imagine.

LegoArmo

Oh yeah, that's a bunch of sad guys. These guys won't even be in the stadium tonight, I bet you 99% of that group isn't allowed in the Arena :p

But I read that PSV and Zagreb (fucking cunts) supporters are also in town. So yeah, if these Zagreb hooligans are looking for a brawl too things can get nasty I imagine.

Here's to a good game and all the action being on the pitch tonight.

Bit nervous.

You guys have inspired me to create my own blog to get myself moving and start writing. It'll be awfully awkward, no doubts about that, but in even the worst case scenario, OneSubLeft will get an extra blog follower. At the very least it will be a church to Baggio.

Shameless link below
www.thehashyhello.wordpress.com

Bumhead

Banned
I didn't think Dutch football had a problem with violence.

Oh man..

In other news, just back from the dentist. Filling and a tooth out. Lucky me.

In other OTHER news, me and my brother dug our old PS2 slim out of the attic and played some PES6 last night. Had more fun in about an hours worth of matches than we've had in an entire generation of current gen PES and FIFA. PES6 is just gold.

Lightning

Banned
Main thing for Arsenal is don't lose. A draw will be a good result here and put us in good stead to qualify but a loss and we're in trouble.

LegoArmo

Oh man..

In other news, just back from the dentist. Filling and a tooth out. Lucky me.

In other OTHER news, me and my brother dug our old PS2 slim out of the attic and played some PES6 last night. Had more fun in about an hours worth of matches than we've had in an entire generation of current gen PES and FIFA. PES6 is just gold.

PES5 was my favourite. Used to spend hours and hours modding that game on the original Xbox.

Bumhead

Banned
PES5 was my favourite. Used to spend hours and hours modding that game on the original Xbox.

I liked them all to be honest. At this point I think you can play any of PES4, 5 or 6 and get the same sort of contrasting experience from the current gen games. Just such an absolute blast. You can instantly feel that bit of "clunk" with the very rigid directional control etc, but they're still so fun for what they are. We were seeing scrambles, crazy screamers and attacking football like you just don't see in the current games. Don't get me wrong, I love FIFA but even today PES6 is quite something. It's almost like a SEGA arcade classic equivalent for football games.

Daytona Evolution Rally Soccer.

Top Bottom