• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

I have a question for British gaffers:
for the 2014 WC the Italian TV RAI won't show all matches, just one per day and Italy games, and I don't want to subscribe to SKY pay TV. I'd like to subscribe instead for one or two months to this service: http://www.filmon.com/subscriptions so I could watch BBC one, BBC two, ITV1, 2, 3 and 4 (even at work :D) Am I covered? Do you know if BBC three and four could show WC matches? Thanks :)

In all likelihood, BBC2 and 3 will show every match the BBC has rights to, and BBC1 will show the England matches. The rest will be on ITV1 I think

dc89

BXDYgHpIQAArcXa.jpg:large

According to BarcaStuff - The official poster for a documentary called I Want To Be Messi.

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/392184006516944896

Fake MCFC jersey, but I'll take it.

Blablurn

Really surprised at Hertha's performance. I didn't think they would be able to defeat Godbach.

There is always one team from second division who succeeds. Look at Frankfurt or Gladbach/Freiburg (of course they came from the bottom of the table and not from league 2 in recent years). Then they'll make it to the Europa League and fail at competing in 3 tournaments.

Clegg

The Times say United are likely to make a move for Luke Shaw in January.

But why would he want to sign for a mid table club etc etc.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Barzagli “Unfortunately we’re paying the price this year. It’s not as if we’re allowing our opponents more shots on goal when compared to last season – but we’re always being punished.”

“I honestly don’t know how to explain what happened,” Barzagli continued. “There weren’t even signs of a potential Fiorentina comeback.

“We dominated the game, going close to scoring a third goal and, before we know it, we find ourselves 3-2 down…

You want an explanation? Because you were all arrogant pricks.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Defeats like this can shape a team. Make them angry. Give them a new spirit. Maybe it was what they needed.

Let's hope so. We were equally as bad last year (despite winning 9 out of 10 games) until Inter slapped us back to reality and we started playing well again.

Salazar

Woodward still thinks mercato is a Gilbert and Sullivan joint.

And the need for high-spending focus on the midfield is undiminished.

sohois

From everything I've read about Southampton and their setup, they are going to bend over anyone coming in for their youth. Cortese sounds like a new Levy. Indeed since they seem for all intents and purposes to be setting up for a run at the top 4 in just a few years I would be surprised if they even dealt with premier league clubs unless their players really force their way out.

I'm disappointed at the way Nintendo have taken their home console, but man, the 3DS is probably the best handheld I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!).

Would be sad, especially for someone like me who grew up with Nintendo consoles, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make a new console after the Wii U and focused on handhelds exclusively.

rvy

Banned
Would be sad, especially for someone like me who grew up with Nintendo consoles, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make a new console after the Wii U and focused on handhelds exclusively.

You see your house, babe? Nintendo got enough money in cash to fill 100 houses like yours from top to bottom.

Clegg

I think Evra is defo on his way out. This Shaw thing also comes only a day after he said he wasn't sure if he'd renew his United contract. No surprise there are papers linking us with a left back. Still think we'll go back in for Baines.

Vidic is out of contract in the summer too. We may need to be on the lookout for new defenders as well as midfielders.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Luke Shaw signed a new five year contract a couple of months ago, he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

When he does leave they are going to want megabucks as well, they don't want to get rinsed like they did with Bale. It's going to be £20m plus a sell-on clause.

Clegg

Should swap Fellaini for Wanyama while we're at it.

I know, Southampton would say no.

Nah, keep Fellaini.

He'll get better once he settles imo. We still have an obvious need for another midfielder tho.

If we can't find that creative cm we've been looking for, I wouldn't be averse to making a play for Lars Bender, or a player of similar quality, and pushing Fellaini further up the pitch.

Kenka

There is always one team from second division who succeeds. Look at Frankfurt or Gladbach/Freiburg (of course they came from the bottom of the table and not from league 2 in recent years). Then they'll make it to the Europa League and fail at competing in 3 tournaments.
Yes, and this trend will go on in the coming three/four years. I just hope German teams will be mature enough by that time to not crash in the group stages of the Europa League. Damn, I miss the days when Hamburg and Werder were competitive teams.
You want an explanation? Because you were all arrogant pricks.
Yes, that's perfectly embodies Juve's day this weekend.
Impressive statistics. That's almost 700 passes per game. In the range of ten passes per minute.

I have a question for British gaffers:
for the 2014 WC the Italian TV RAI won't show all matches, just one per day and Italy games, and I don't want to subscribe to SKY pay TV. I'd like to subscribe instead for one or two months to this service: http://www.filmon.com/subscriptions so I could watch BBC one, BBC two, ITV1, 2, 3 and 4 (even at work :D) Am I covered? Do you know if BBC three and four could show WC matches? Thanks :)

You are covered, british law dictates that all World Cup games must be shown on terrestrial tv, thus BBc and ITV have you covered. However, that might change after this World Cup.

Nah, keep Fellaini.

He'll get better once he settles imo.

Oh yeah, we're definitely keeping Fellaini for a couple of seasons at least. I mean, look how long we've kept Anderson. That's straight-up desperation for squad numbers in midfield. But Fellaini isn't the first XI solution to our midfield problems so long as we keep playing with two men, especially now that Moyes is bending over backwards to please Rooney, positioning him as an outright striker next to RVP in a beyond fucking naive 442.

If we can't find that creative cm we've been looking for, I wouldn't be averse to making a play for Lars Bender, or a player of similar quality, and pushing Fellaini further up the pitch.

And who does Fellaini replace up forward? That just doesn't jive. We really would become Moyes' version of Everton to get the best out of him as a number ten. As a CM, he was okay with Rooney dropping deep against Leverkusen but against top quality like City his lack of mobility gets punished. When I see Belgium play, he has runners like Witsel mopping up for him in a midfield three, which allows him to play his natural game from a deeper position. But Moyes doesn't seem interested in playing a three man midfield. If there's any light at the end of the tunnel, it's barely visible right now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal look set to be without winger Theo Walcott for at least another two weeks after the England international suffered a setback in his recovery from abdominal surgery.

Walcott will definitely miss the Champions League double-header with Borussia Dortmund, as well as the Capital One Cup London derby against Chelsea, but the Gunners’ manager Arsene Wenger is hopeful that he will return for the Premier League matches against Liverpool and Manchester United.

They really need to get a new medical team.

Clegg

Oh yeah, we're definitely keeping Fellaini for a couple of seasons at least. I mean, look how long we've kept Anderson. That's straight-up desperation for squad numbers in midfield. But Fellaini isn't the first XI solution to our midfield problems so long as we keep playing with two men, especially now that Moyes is bending over backwards to please Rooney, positioning him as an outright striker next to RVP in a beyond fucking naive 442.
I edited this into my previous post. I'll quote it in case you didn't see it.

A 3 man midfield is the way to go imo. We'd lose our width, but atm we have a much more pressing need to control the game in midfield. Bender and Carrick are similar players, but a midfield with those two players could work if they had a third man to play off of. Fellaini may not be that third man either, but it's still worth a shot. Better than a two man midfield anyway.

You are covered, british law dictates that all World Cup games must be shown on terrestrial tv, thus BBc and ITV have you covered. However, that might change after this World Cup.

Thanks.
I was asking because that service only covers BBc 1 and 2. So if some matches are shown on 3 or 4, I could miss them.

IA 3 man midfield is the way to go imo. We'd lose our width, but atm we have a much more pressing need to control the game in midfield. Bender and Carrick are similar players, but a midfield with those two players could work if they had a third man to play off of. Fellaini may not be that third man either, but it's still worth a shot. Better than a two man midfield anyway.

Seems like we're on the same page. There's a tinge of hysteria around the Moyes criticism, but so long as he keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... Well, you know the rest.

Jubern

Do you guys know if the European play-off draw is going to be legally streamed anywhere? I'd like to see it live, but I'm in Japan where no one really cares about it.

bjaelke

Great ad.

Reminds me I need to get back to London in a not too distant future.
Do you guys know if the European play-off draw is going to be legally streamed anywhere? I'd like to see it live, but I'm in Japan where no one really cares about it.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelim...99207/index.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_box_4

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=226253&part=sports

Clegg

Seems like we're on the same page. There's a tinge of hysteria around the Moyes criticism, but so long as he keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... Well, you know the rest.

The biggest problem is finding the right midfielder and then actually getting him to sign. To be fair to Moyes, he knows we needed a few new midfielders. It was actually one of the first things he said when he joined the club. now he needs to go out their and get that player.

Although slightly more realistic targets than Fabregas would probably be better.

I'm disappointed at the way Nintendo have taken their home console, but man, the 3DS is probably the best handheld I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!).

Not gonna happen. They just gotta do a better console next time.

The biggest problem is finding the right midfielder and then actually getting him to sign. To be fair to Moyes, he knows we needed a few new midfielders. It was actually one of the first things he said when he joined the club. now he needs to go out their and get that player.

Although slightly more realistic targets than Fabregas would probably be better.

Go all out for Gundogan or Koke. And by go all out I mean overpay for them.

WJD

Nostalgia out the arse in that PS ad, love it.

Also, where's the best place to get the FM14 beta at the moment?

Tc91

Nostalgia out the arse in that PS ad, love it.

Also, where's the best place to get the FM14 beta at the moment?

Amazon, you can pre order the game receive the key which they send in literally seconds and then cancel your order.

Will give you time to test the game before buying it.

Top Bottom