• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For people who are looking for a good VGA-Box setup

suikodan

I wanted to hook up my Xbox to my 17" LCD screen and I checked some topics here about some VGA Boxes.

pr-Samsung_SyncMaster_172_N_17_in_Monitor-resized200.gif

Finally, I decided to buy this one:
COMPONENT.JPG

http://www.zoneaccro.com/en/frmProductDetail.asp?ProductNo=333

It's a good-quality box that has some dip-switches for you manual freaks. Obviously, it supports only 480P and higher so you won't see your Xbox dashboard when booting up. However, you can plug the Y part of the component cable to yout TV, you'll see the dash in b/w but you'll be able to configure your resolution options.

I use a Y-cable to plug the sound into my PC, I have some good speakers.

But I didn't want to switch the VGA cable manually. I searched for a VGA switchbox until I found this:
2611230l.jpg

KVM Switch

I wasn't convinced when the guy recommended me that product except that when I tested it at home, I was sold. You plug your two VGA outputs (in my case: Xbox and PC) with the blue plugs and you hook your PC screen, mouse and keyboard into the grey module.

When I want to switch from one source to another, I press Scroll Lock twice and then 1 for the Xbox and 2 for the PC. The switch is very fast! I love it!

Pros:
VGA Box quality is very good! 480p games are very sharp on my 17" LCD! You think you're playing a PC game!
The KVM switch is great! Easy to switch! Fast switching too!

Cons:
Kinda expensive, I blew 150$ CDN on this alone :p
LOTSA cables! The kvm comes with 2 sets of KVM cables which are 5ft long!
I thought the VGA Box would also serve as a switch but it isn't. The two VGA plugs are for outputs only!

I'll be playing Halo 2 with that setup for sure! Hope it'll be useful for somebody! :)

I think I'll probably get a VD-Z3 for component to VGA whenever I can scrap some money together. That switch sounds nice though. A bit pricy as you mentioned..

How does it look on the LCD? Still looks good despite the LCD's native resolution?

Fongul

I've been working myself to get a VGA setup going with a separate monitor that I have (a Sony G500 21' Trinitron). Currently I have my Xbox, PS2 and GC all hooked up (just waiting on some BNC Monitor cables so I can hook up my Dreamcast as well.

As far as switching goes, right now I just decided to 'daisy-chain' the two adaptors that I have (a KDS XBlaster and a Hori Upscan Convertor 2). I was afraid of losing some clarity on the signal connecting it this way, but I have tested it both ways and did not notice a difference. Simply to explain the connection, I have my PS2 upscan convertor hooked into the VGA from Computer input on my Xblaster. Then on the PS2 upscan convertor, I have a custom VGA cable for the Gamecube into the VGA from Computer input.

The only thing I've encountered so far with this setup that is slighty annoying is that the picture does not stay the same for each system. I've been having to go in and make a manual adjustment to my screen positions each time I switch systems on my Monitor. I'm not sure if there's a way to have the monitor keep multiple image positions at all without the use of a computer in the setup or if there is a monitor on the market that has this capability. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know ASAP.

I've been willing to try a KVM switch as well to see if it would help sustain the monitor settings, but I haven't been able to snake one from my friend as of yet, but I will post when I do just for some FYI.

The sound for all three systems is hooked up to my Logitech Z-5500 PC Speakers, which I just purchased for use mainly with all the systems galore. I had to buy an optical cable switchbox for the Xbox and PS2 that's working out well. The switchbos is a simple box from Radio Shack for $10. I was worried about getting a lesser quality sound using this type of switchbox, but everything is smooth sailing so far.

Lastly, if you upgrade your Xbox with the latest Xbox Live update, the dashboard can be toggled into 480p by holding down both triggers and then pressing in on both analog sticks. You can download the upgrade even if you don't have an Xbox Live account at all.

So far I have nothing but great feelings about the uber setup. I just wanted to have a little more clarity with my games without having to go buy some uber TV which I don't have the room for at the moment. Any input on how I can improve this setup would be appreciated though :)

maskrider

ravingloon said:
I can't read French, but that 1st picture posted sure looks like a KDS converter.

There are many cheap "clones" of the KDS converter, not sure if that one belongs to those China/Hong Kong manufacturered clones.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The XBlaster, clone or not, is still the best, most cost effective VGA solution out there.

aoi tsuki

While on the topic, does anyone know of a place to get high-quality, short length (2-4 foot) monitor extension cables (or just plain monitor cables)? i'm currently connecting my Xblaster to my monitor via a six foot extension cable with a gender changer, and there's some noticable ghosting as well as color warming. The latter's not a big problem, but three months later and the ghosting is still noticeable, especially when doing graphics work.

i'm extremely pleased with the XBlaster, although i wish it had a switch to switch inputs (game system/computer), so i wouldn't have to turn off my Cube (or remove the video cable) to use my computer. i'll be looking at downloading DScaler and buying a compatible capture card next.

john2kx

suikodan said:
Obviously, it supports only 480P and higher so you won't see your Xbox dashboard when booting up.

if you have XBL or a newer xbox, one of the Live updates made it so that you can get your dash to display in 480p, i believe.

aoi tsuki said:
While on the topic, does anyone know of a place to get high-quality, short length (2-4 foot) monitor extension cables (or just plain monitor cables)? i'm currently connecting my Xblaster to my monitor via a six foot extension cable with a gender changer, and there's some noticable ghosting as well as color warming. The latter's not a big problem, but three months later and the ghosting is still noticeable, especially when doing graphics work.

i'm extremely pleased with the XBlaster, although i wish it had a switch to switch inputs (game system/computer), so i wouldn't have to turn off my Cube (or remove the video cable) to use my computer. i'll be looking at downloading DScaler and buying a compatible capture card next.
The VD-Z3 does exactly what you want, it has a switch on the side and is just as good as the xblaster.

maskrider

DaCocoBrova said:
The XBlaster, clone or not, is still the best, most cost effective VGA solution out there.

KDS once has a product named XBlaster, which is a stripped down version of the full product (KD-CTCA2).

Fongul

Oh! My Car! said:
Fongul, how is the Hori Upscan converter in terms of picture quality?

The picture quality with the Hori pretty damn solid. Granted, it does not look better than 480p, but the quality of the picture is quite good. Hori designed the converter to use component, S-Video and composite inputs. The component input is strictly for either PS2 or Xbox (the connector plugs directly into the AV Input on the back of the PS2...the system also comes with an adaptor to use with Xbox as well). With the price of the unit ($70) being cheaper than buying a XRGB-2, I'm pretty damn satisfied.

suikodan

Uncle Dukey said:
I think I'll probably get a VD-Z3 for component to VGA whenever I can scrap some money together. That switch sounds nice though. A bit pricy as you mentioned..

How does it look on the LCD? Still looks good despite the LCD's native resolution?

That is funny, but I haven't noticed any stretching in the graphics. I played DOAU, MK Deception and PGR2 and the graphics aren't stretched at all like when I would play Doom 3 at a lower resolution than 1280x1024

Fongul said:
Lastly, if you upgrade your Xbox with the latest Xbox Live update, the dashboard can be toggled into 480p by holding down both triggers and then pressing in on both analog sticks. You can download the upgrade even if you don't have an Xbox Live account at all.

So if I understand right, I hold L+R and press down both analogs THEN I boot up the Xbox?

Fongul

suikodan said:
So if I understand right, I hold L+R and press down both analogs THEN I boot up the Xbox?

That would be correct. Just make sure you have the latest Live update and you should be ready to rip.

Top Bottom