• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

Sadly Bruno's career wasn't fully in his hands. His family understandably kept him from it. Didn't he get fucked out of a GP2 championship by a stray dog or something?
Yep.
He lost that championship for the much more experienced Giorgio Pantano, beating the likes of Grosjean, Maldonado, Buemi, Petrov, D'Ambrosio, Chandhok and Kobayashi.
But in my opinion, Di Grassi was the most impressive driver that season. He finished third, just one point behind Bruno, joining that championship after six races already gone. It's sad that unlike Bruno, he doesn't have a strong name. I hope he wins this year's Formula E championship. He really deserves.

Not sorry to see Massa go, one of those drivers that was basically just filling a seat that could go to a talented rookie instead. F1 is in need of some fresh blood.
Massa will probably land on Renault.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sainz confirmed at Toro Rosso for 2017.

It's too bad a seat didn't open up at Ferrari for him since he has no future at Red Bull.
Not unexpected, is this the first time a driver does a 3rd season for STR?
Massa will probably land on Renault.

Hope not. I'm sure he can do some kind of team management thing somewhere instead of driving.

Yep.
He lost that championship for the much more experienced Giorgio Pantano, beating the likes of Grosjean, Maldonado, Buemi, Petrov, D'Ambrosio, Chandhok and Kobayashi.
But in my opinion, Di Grassi was the most impressive driver that season. He finished third, just one point behind Bruno, joining that championship after six races already gone. It's sad that unlike Bruno, he doesn't have a strong name. I hope he wins this year's Formula E championship. He really deserves.
Damn sometimes fate really isn't on the side of certain drivers.

Zaru

Not sorry to see Massa go, one of those drivers that was basically just filling a seat that could go to a talented rookie instead. F1 is in need of some fresh blood.

In the next few years we'll probably be "rid" of all the aged has-been champions (Kimi, Alonso, Button) and Massa (who came very, very close to being one), who have a combined salary of probably over 80 million $ plus huge bonusses.

It's really interesting to think about financially, because champions are a LOT more expensive than other drivers (only Rosberg is up there).

Thanks to the recent dominations, the roster of former champions will soon be thinned out to just Vettel and Hamilton (unless Rosberg takes it this year or some other team surges ahead starting next year), which leaves tens of millions in driver salaries on the table.

dubc35

^ Yeah it will be interesting when Vettel and Lewis are the "old guard."

As far as salaries, who's to say that the grid won't be full of pay drivers?

Mastah

Bruno could be a great driver if he hadn't started his career so late.

Damon Hill started his single seater career at 25 and was still competitive in F1 in his late 30s.

I know Bruno gets a lot of sympathy because of Ayrton, but c'mon, he started when he was 21 and got into F1 6 years later. Average in HRT, Renault and Williams, average in Formula E - what exactly shows that he could be "a great driver"? If Hill could, why Senna couldn't?

Yep.He lost that championship for the much more experienced Giorgio Pantano, beating the likes of Grosjean, Maldonado, Buemi, Petrov, D'Ambrosio, Chandhok and Kobayashi.

Di Grassi got his F1 chance and was destroyed by Glock. I would say fighting for wins and championship in WEC and FE is a great career.

DD

Damon Hill started his single seater career at 25 and was still competitive in F1 in his late 30s.

I know Bruno gets a lot of sympathy because of Ayrton, but c'mon, he started when he was 21 and got into F1 6 years later. Average in HRT, Renault and Williams, average in Formula E - what exactly shows that he could be "a great driver"? If Hill could, why Senna couldn't?
Well, Hill was a race driver long before, and he basically joined F1 in the best car ever made in a time tests weren't restricted as they are now and in the last ten years. Bruno simply wasn't a race driver at all. So, I guess being a championship contender in GP2 and average in F1 and F-E shows that he had the potential, not that he achieved anything. He lives on his name.

Di Grassi got his F1 chance and was destroyed by Glock. I would say fighting for wins and championship in WEC and FE is a great career.
Di Grassi had one year in a Virgin, for Christ sake. A rookie driver in a rookie team against a vastly more experienced teammate. What else did you expect? ;P

Mastah

Well, Hill was a race driver long before, and he basically joined F1 in the best car ever made in a time tests weren't restricted as they are now and in the last ten years. Bruno simply wasn't a race driver at all. So, I guess being a championship contender in GP2 and average in F1 and F-E shows that he had the potential, not that he achieved anything. He lives on his name.

Yeah, riding bikes. And then switching to single seaters career in an era, when you could easily kill yourself or sustain injuries. But he worked hard, played it smart and enjoyed success, even after his title.

Meanwhile there are dozens of drivers like Bruno, who coulda, woulda, shoulda, because of this or that. But at the end of the day, he was F1 driver for 3 seasons and showed pretty much nothing. I just find it silly to think if only he raced since 10 or whatever, he would be 5 tenths per lap faster or something like that.

Di Grassi had one year in a Virgin, for Christ sake. A rookie driver in a rookie team against a vastly more experienced teammate. What else did you expect? ;P

From him? Nothing :D Alonso or Bianchi showed what can be done in difficult environment, while others didn't. No big deal, that's how it is.

And yes, I hope he'll win it too ;)

Shaneus

Ha, yes! Pretty much.
I wish they could've kept the BAR stylings, I kind of really liked those. But then, I liked the last iteration of the HRT livery, too.
hrt-dela-kore-2012-3.jpg

Rumour that Button has signed a pre-contract agreement with Williams, Massa out.
So, 2017:
Williams: Bottas/Button
McLaren: Alonso/??????
RBR: Ricciardo/Verstappen
Ferrari: Vettel/Kimi
And the rest.

I guess Massa will go somewhere, probably to an even more mid-tier, or lower-mid. Maybe we'd see Checo step back up to McLaren now he's matured somewhat?

Mohonky

What, to be replaced by Button? He's a nice guy, but it doesnt hide the fact he has absolutely no personality and Mclaren has been steadily getting more and more shit with every passing year he's there. He cant develop a car and he cant drive one that is anything but perfectly balanced.

Button is by far the worst offender of hogging a drivers seat passed his use by date.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who cares about Button? If Button replaces Massa, McLaren gives Vandoorne a seat and we have a net win. I give no shits if it's Button or Massa in Williams, but if I have to see guys in press conferences and interviews, I'd 10x rather see Button than Massa.

ramparter

Banned
McLaren: Alonso/Vandoorne?
Would be great and probably help Alonso realize it's over...

I loved Alonso but he wasted his best years in Renault(second time) & Ferrari :(.

I like Button but Williams is a dead end, and wtf Bottas, he has to get out of there asap.

Zeknurn

Haas has stopped development on the 2016 car and is now focusing on 2017.
"Halo 2" will be mounted on Vettel's car in FP1.
Renault is set to introduce a second set of power unit upgrades for the Japanese Grand Prix.

legbone

I would love to see stoffel vandoorne get a seat. him vs verstappen would be awesome. battle of the young bloods. i'd have to root for vandoorne. there is just something about verstappen i don't like. i mean, he's a great driver, and probably a future world champion, but it always seems like he's on the verge of having a temper tantrum, or actually having one. it's probably just the fact that i'm now old (41) and most kids his age get on my nerves. anyway, vandoorne may be a complete asshat (i'm not saying he is, i've only seen him race once, but that was mighty impressive) but there's always a chance he's not i guess. not to mention he's a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than verstappen (yeah, i know, not a valid argument).

edit: bravo to the poster above me. bravo i say. nice job sir/madam.

Haas has stopped development on the 2016 car and is now focusing on 2017.
"Halo 2" will be mounted on Vettel's car in FP1.
Renault is set to introduce a second set of power unit upgrades for the Japanese Grand Prix.
Did Haas even put a single upgrade on that car yet?

Can they even do that? They essentially bought a kit car from Dallara, right? Is Dallara on site to gather data?
I never even factored that in. I think even fucking HRT brought like 2 upgrades a season. What's the point of getting a car you can't even strap an upgrade to?

Scottify

It looks like Sauber has found some needed investor support.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125043

Sauber appears to have found a solution to its financial difficulties after paying its Formula 1 staff salaries on time for the first time since January, Autosport has learned.

Cashflow problems meant February, March and April salaries were paid around a week late while it took nearly a month to put the May salaries through.

But the June salaries were paid on time and it is believed the staff have been told a sustainable solution has been found for the future and that there is reason for optimism.

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has been locked in talks for months trying to find financial backing to secure the team's long term future.

It is believed a new investor has been found, which would mean a change of ownership for the team.

I wish they could've kept the BAR stylings, I kind of really liked those. But then, I liked the last iteration of the HRT livery, too.

So, 2017:
Williams: Bottas/Button
McLaren: Alonso/??????
RBR: Ricciardo/Verstappen
Ferrari: Vettel/Kimi
And the rest.

I guess Massa will go somewhere, probably to an even more mid-tier, or lower-mid. Maybe we'd see Checo step back up to McLaren now he's matured somewhat?

Not another year of Kimi pls

Aiii

So not worth it
Some news.

Vettel has a 5-place grid penalty for a gearbox change.

Majority stake in Sauber about to be bought by investment group, current management staying on for transition period.

RIC turned 27 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom