• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else do you do as a team in this situation? You have your drivers costing you points through unnecessary incidents twice already and it's likely only to get worse. As a fan I don't want that of course, but it's probably the right move for the team.

From a team perspective, I'm not sure. I agree with your points and it's clear the boys won't listen when they're just told to be careful.

From a fan perspective, I'd be gutted and just see that they're very, very likely to win the championships anyway, let them race for the drivers title.

Honestly though, I can see team orders just being ignored and it ending relationships and contracts as opposed to controlling a one-two.

sam777

you are missing the people, you are at the last lap, you don't really plan things. You just do and trying to corner the one on the offside seems basic racing to me. But its a shit thing to do, the thing is Hamilton does it pretty well, but when nico does it... oh shit what a turd. Blind Fanboyism.

G-Unit

I've rarely seen Hamilton do that. He tends to hit the apex then drift out to the edge of the track and push them off that way.

btw you should consider hamilton was a bit ahead on the outside, I don't see how that doesn''t call for late breaking from whoever was next to him in the inside.

That is if you want to win races

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So if team orders are in play, then surely that means Rosberg will get to win the Championship? Nico is leading, and Lewis already has 3 Championships. Wonder how Lewis will deal with that!

Assuming that Rosberg is telling the truth, i.e. brake problems, I don't see what he did wrong. He had to turn in (very) late, because otherwise he would have simply lost the car and crashed into Hamilton.

Edit: You can actually see that the car does nothing when he first tries to turn in.

Quite curious actually what the rules are in terms of letting drivers in when they are off track. One might argue that Ros should have left enough space for Ham, or one could argue that the driver that's off the track has to wait until there is enough space to get in (I have no clue what's the rule there).

Nico ONLY ever even slightly turns his wheel as an immediate "oh shit!" reaction to him seeing Lewis turn, which only further proves his intention to run lewis right off the track and into the sausage kerbs that have been destroying peoples cars this weekend.

He even blocks off the entrance to the track when Lewis tries to rejoin.

They're into see the stewards right now. Have just gone in. Hamilton was called as well but complaint is still against Nico only for causing a collision. He's gonna get got here

G-Unit

Nico ONLY ever even slightly turns his wheel as an immediate "oh shit!" reaction to him seeing Lewis turn, which only further proves his intention to run lewis right off the track and into the sausage kerbs that have been destroying peoples cars this weekend.

now Rosberg had time to think that? You know what, i'm gonna send him to the kerbs to force a DNF....sureeee buddy.

NHale

Bigger issue is not allowing Hamilton back on track.

That is never the responsibility of the driver on the track.

Rejoining the track safely is 100% on the driver out of the track. So if there was a problem there it would be Lewis getting called by the stewards.

He can use the TOTO defence- 'Mr brakes had failed, my steering was broken and the sun was in my eyes! I was lucky to finish the race!'

That would be hilarious if Nico actually used the Sky Sports fanboy arguments like Mercedes being very very mean or moral obligations. He could stay in the stewards room until tomorrow just using that quality material.

now Rosberg had time to think that? You know what, i'm gonna send him to the kerbs to force a DNF....sureeee buddy.

It's a great conspiracy theory like every #TeamLH conspiracy except for the fact that there isn't any banana kerb on that corner. Who cares about actually facts when you try to create a conspiracy after all?

Lewis under investigation as well or photoshop?

Cmcn2bgUEAAwyDo.jpg:large

tonka

Bigger issue is not allowing Hamilton back on track.

Well he's not being investigated for that, he's being investigated for continuing to drive with his front wing in pieces

that and causing a collision.

he doesn't have to leave room for someone who's left the track outside of just plain not driving into them.

100% if they had hit a second time Hamilton would have been called in to the stewards too

Business

Rosberg did what he had to if he wants to be world champion. He didn't give up the inside and he had to box Hamilton as much as possible to the outside of T2 also thinking T3. Went slightly too long and as always when there's contact with Hamilton he got the shorter end of the stick, no matter who is inside or outside.

I said he fully intended to force Lewis off, and thats exactly what his onboard shows.

He NEVER even slightly turning his wheel till he saw Lewis coming over, at which point he was aiming to go to the edge of the track before turning in.

The only way for Lewis to make the turn in that instance is pretty much park up and wait for Nico to do a 90 degree turn on a dime or go off track.

And yes you better believe that drivers know exactly where the car breaking kerbs are.

SilentRob

This is something I don't understand in the context of it is forbidden to rejoin the track dangerously from pits, which makes me think on track people has preference. I wonder what the rule says.

Of course they have preference, but again: What is Hamilton supposed to do? He would have to stop the car - Rosberg KNOWS Hamilton is there, he KNOWS Hamilton has no other way but to get back on track that way and he decides to ignore that.

Just because you have track position doesn't mean that you can just get out of you car, punch the other drive in the mouth, get back in the car and then say "What?! I just defended my position!"

malyce

Thread proves that being an F1 fan doesn't necessarily mean you know much about racing.

If under attack and your corner entry is compromised, or you're not on a line that will allow you the best exit out of the corner you have 2 options:

Option 1: "Park" the car on the apex of the corner, preventing the "cut back" which ruins the advantage the attacking car would get by forcing you to defend, compromising your corner entry, while the apex still available to them. Allowing them a much better exit and much more momentum out of the corner which puts them in a position to pass you on the straight.

Option 2: Normal turn in from comprised line[you're still ahead as this point], using up most of the track on the exit putting the attacking car in a position to either (a) Back out of the move (b) Cause a collision (c) Run wide

Rosberg did neither of these things. He straight up refused to turn in.

G-Unit

I said he fully intended to force Lewis off, and thats exactly what his onboard shows.

He NEVER even slightly turning his wheel till he saw Lewis coming over, at which point he was aiming to go to the edge of the track before turning in.

The only way for Lewis to make the turn in that instance is pretty much park up and wait for Nico to do a 90 degree turn on a dime or go off track.

And yes you better believe that drivers know exactly where the car breaking kerbs are.

go clean you glasses bro. Want to see a clear ill intend? go check schumacher vs villeneuve.

NHale

Rosberg: "gutted" and was "surprised" Hamilton turned into him.

Tells you everything about his mindset.

Tells a lot about his lack of awareness or honesty too.

Of course they have preference, but again: What is Hamilton supposed to do? He would have to stop the car - Rosberg KNOWS Hamilton is there, he KNOWS Hamilton has no other way but to get back on track that way and he decides to ignore that.

Just because you have track position doesn't mean that you can just get out of you car, punch the other drive in the mouth, get back in the car and then say "What?! I just defended my position!"

So what? It would be a complete clusterfuck if drivers on the actual track would have to give position or worry about drivers outside the white lines. There are limits and if you are outside them, you have to rejoin the track safely even if it means having to halt to a complete stop for 20 seconds like it happens sometimes on racing starts. Just because Lewis "has" to join the track, it doesn't mean everyone else has to give him a red carpet to rejoin.

In this case it would be a double eff you if Lewis crashed into Nico rejoining because he was outside the track due to Nico's dirty driving but it would still be Lewis's 100% responsibility if he touched Nico while rejoining.

Lewis under investigation as well or photoshop?

Cmcn2bgUEAAwyDo.jpg:large

It's probably because of the overtaking Nico under yellow flags. The onboard shows he did it but Nico's car was damaged so he should be cleared very quickly. However he didn't actually slowed down enough until the braking zone which could cause him some issues. It would be a farce to give him a penalty though.

Tells a lot about his lack of awareness or honesty too.

So what? It would be a complete clusterfuck if drivers on the actual track would have to give position or worry about drivers outside the white lines. There are limits and if you are outside them, you have to rejoin the track safely even if it means having to halt to a complete stop for 20 seconds like it happens sometimes on racing starts. Just because Lewis "has" to join the track, it doesn't mean everyone else has to give him a red carpet to rejoin.

In a vacuum, sure.

When you've blocked someone from turning in, run them wide and then blocked them from reentering, it becomes something different.

Mastah

Remember when Manors were 2-4 seconds slower than the second slowest car last year and some people were saying why they even bother with racing in F1?

CmcouWXWIAAE5ta.jpg:orig

That's why you should never rule anyone out, it's Formula 1 racing and anything can happen. What a great result by Pascal and whole Manor team, to achieve that much in 12 months of time is amazing achievement.

Hopefully Sauber can do similar turnaround with new investment, because we know from 2012 or 2013 they know their stuff.

He even blocks off the entrance to the track when Lewis tries to rejoin.

You are jumping to conclusions imo. Nico most likely braked very, very late. At that point he made have decided to run Lewif off the track or he might just as well have realized that he can't get the corner that way and therefore needs a couple more meters of going straight.

SilentRob

Very sensible interview with Hamilton right now on Sky UK. I'm not a fan of the guy, but he handled that as well as he could. Did anybody happen to record it?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
That's one way to drive back home.

EDIT: How is Buemi not entering the pits with a missing rear wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom