• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Just catching up on the end of the coverage. Vettel doesn't even have polarising lenses in his Ray Bans. Cheapskate.

untitled-2exso2.gif

untitled-42pluy.gif

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ferrari had a good race today with pace on par with Mercedes and RBR.

All down to the tyres & getting them into optimal working window for Ferrari.
Track temperatures were very high today & it suited the Ferrari today.

If they can get understand how to replicate those conditions on other tracks which won't have the same conditions, they should be at the front runner's pace again.
Fundamentals of the car as not as bad as some make out.

If they can get understand how to replicate those conditions on other tracks which won't have the same conditions, they should be at the front runner's pace again.
That's precisely the problem Ferrari has right now, they can't pinpoint what works or not, so they can't really replicate the results.

Mastah

What??? Hamilton was controlling his pace all race long, saving power unit and tyres basically from lap 1 until lap 70. Haven't you heard comment from Max about driving like a granny, when he was stuck in Mercedes train at the beginning? It was very similar to what he pulled off in Chinese GP last year - winning at the slowest speed possible.

Zeknurn

Is that you Toto?

Wut? Mercedes had pace to spare and were just controlling the gap for the majority of the race. They could easily pull 1s a lap on RIC and VET whenever they felt like it (at the end of the stint on supersofts, or on softs)

I'm beginning to think Lewis's "I have no pace" call on the radio was a bit of a dummy, trying to back Rosberg into the RBRs.

Shaneus

Not a horrific race to watch, but jesus did they focus on the Kimi/VES situation too much!

Also, I missed a handful of laps I think starting around lap 20... how did VES drop from fourth behind Danny to sixth or seventh or whatever?

Zaru

Also, I missed a handful of laps I think starting around lap 20... how did VES drop from fourth behind Danny to sixth or seventh or whatever?

For one, he got held up behind Kimi in a phase where Kimi was slow when Max should have been faster (different strategy), but as we know overtaking isn't that easy (Max kept Kimi behind in a similar fashion during the final stint, same for the other two duels in front of them)
Going by the race chart, they were all close together on lap 18 but Max spent 9 laps destroying his tyres behind Kimi, losing quite a bit of time to the leading pack. He never recovered from that.

He also probably wasn't terribly happy with the car since he already complained about the driveability on his outlap to the starting grid, but I'm not sure if there are any more details about that.

With current tire rules, no refueling, and the need to make power units last several races,
Merc is probably being "sandbagged" by regulations. I think Hamilton in this car, against this field, with 2002 tire, engine, and fuel rules and we would be seeing that two seconds a lap away from the rest of the field every race like Schumi did. I think their dominance is actually being held back and these last few seasons would have rivaled Ferrari's dominance. No one drives flat out anymore. There is too much risk now and no reward for lapping the entire pack. The Mercs go as fast as they need too. Hamilton was just fucking with Ros. Hilarious that in modern F1,going slower is now race craft.

dalin80

Banned
Toto had a less then subtle moan after the race that Hamilton 'over-managed' his pace, they must of seen from the data that he was just cruising .

This track really needs dumping, absolutely awful dull racing.

Business

Not a horrific race to watch, but jesus did they focus on the Kimi/VES situation too much!

VET undercut him plus exited his own pit stop just behind RAI who was on a different strategy.

Toto had a less then subtle moan after the race that Hamilton 'over-managed' his pace, they must of seen from the data that he was just cruising .

It was obvious with the live timing and confirmed when HAM found more than a second of pace just after the team threatened him they would pit ROS first. This pace management F1 is quite something, ridiculous.

What is happening here?

Is it a reference to Blessed or is DANRIC just abusing LOLBERG?

My guess is it's about their first lap overtakes.

DBT85

This track really needs dumping, absolutely awful dull racing.

He needs to cruise though since he's down on engines. The longer he can make this one last the better.

I tihnk they're planning on taking a whole new PU at a race after the summer where you can actually overtake. He'll start from the back but he'd have a ton of tyres and no more penalties for taking additional components at later races.

Zeknurn

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-denies-triggering-rosberg-investigation-802163/
Lewis Hamilton had denied that a conversation he had with the FIA's Charlie Whiting had an influence on the decision by the stewards to investigate Nico Rosberg over the yellow flag issue in Hungarian GP qualifying.

The stewards had initially decided not to conduct a formal investigation into Rosberg's pole lap.

However, the German was summoned by an FIA document timed at 7.16pm, over three hours after qualifying ended, after new evidence emerged.

FIA sources have indicated that Hamilton had been in contact and that the new evidence was provided by him.

Intriguingly, in the post-race press conference Hamilton talked extensively about the yellow flag issue and gave details about how Rosberg's apex speed on the yellow flag lap had been the same as on his previous lap, so it's possible that he provided similar information to the FIA.

Nobody likes a snitch Hamilton.

DBT85

Wow, that's terrible, hope she won't be harmed...

Mother in law being younger than him is weird though, how did that happen ?

Fair play to him, if I was 85 and able to get any woman that much younger into bed I'd be smiling.

Bernie and his current wife (just noticed that his waistcote is done up wrong lol)

922718-fabiana-flosi-et-bernie-ecclestone-637x0-2.jpg

Bernie and his last wife
f1-monaco-gp-2007-bernie-ecclestone-and-his-wife-slavica-ecclestone-wife-to-bernie-ecclest.jpg

Xieldos

Hey, was wondering if you F1 fans would be able to help me!

I've never been to an F1 event before but my partner is a big fan, so we're looking to try and get to a race next year. We live in the UK and while Silverstone is nice, we wanted to go abroad to see a race.

After talking to a few friends, they seemed to suggest going to Spa next year. Was just wondering if anyone had ever been and if they could offer any advice?

Ideally we'd like to go to qualifying on the Saturday and the race on the Sunday but what tickets should we buy? What's accommodation like? And is there anything I need to know before booking?

I've been to plenty of football matches but get the feeling going to an F1 race weekend will be a little different so any advice is much appreciated!

Jezbollah

Hey, was wondering if you F1 fans would be able to help me!

I've never been to an F1 event before but my partner is a big fan, so we're looking to try and get to a race next year. We live in the UK and while Silverstone is nice, we wanted to go abroad to see a race.

After talking to a few friends, they seemed to suggest going to Spa next year. Was just wondering if anyone had ever been and if they could offer any advice?

Ideally we'd like to go to qualifying on the Saturday and the race on the Sunday but what tickets should we buy? What's accommodation like? And is there anything I need to know before booking?

I've been to plenty of football matches but get the feeling going to an F1 race weekend will be a little different so any advice is much appreciated!

Go to Spa. Go camping. Enjoy.

It can be, mostly by virtue of not having to deal with the nightmare of getting to / from the track on race day (Spa actually isn't too bad for traffic though).

As for the ticket, it depends on the track. At some, the weekend pass is actually cheaper than just getting Saturday and Sunday (if you order early enough)... at others, they only sell the full weekend pass anyway. Can't tell you which way it's done for Spa as I only ever go for the weekend passes.

For grandstands, consider Gold 8 or Gold 3.

Never thought about camping? Is that the best option?

If you go to Silverstone or Spa, camping is the way to go.

Been to Silverstone a few times and have always camped. The site always have events on (live music, BBQ's etc) and you get to involve yourself with all the other fans.

A friend went to Spa and it worked out cheaper than Silverstone overall.

Orgun

Yeah camping at Spa is great fun, and I hate camping. The atmosphere you get is fantastic.

I'm going from years old memory but I think General Admission tickets + camping was like £180 or something like that.

I know in the end it worked out cheaper than going to Silverstone lol

Jibbed

If you go to Silverstone or Spa, camping is the way to go.

Been to Silverstone a few times and have always camped. The site always have events on (live music, BBQ's etc) and you get to involve yourself with all the other fans.

A friend went to Spa and it worked out cheaper than Silverstone overall.

It's beyond cheap, like half of what you'd spend at Silverstone.

We worked out that (including some daft shit we bought on the Sunday) we spent around £200-250 each for the full 3 days, including driving there and back from the UK.

Yeah camping at Spa is great fun, and I hate camping. The atmosphere you get is fantastic.

I'm going from years old memory but I think General Admission tickets + camping was like £180 or something like that.

I know in the end it worked out cheaper than going to Silverstone lol

Still is about that yeah.

Mastah

Felipe Massa ‏@MassaFelipe19 55s55 seconds ago

My big brother Stefano, so happy to see you and visit the @lamborghini amazing factory!!

CoS4B5-WgAA8OLQ.jpg:large

Could be nothing I guess, but maybe Massa is looking at his options for 2017?

Danielsan

No surprises there. Kvyat hasn't really bounced back after the demotion and has been doing nothing but shitting on his new team. Everything's the team's fault, nothing his.

No surprises there. Kvyat hasn't really bounced back after the demotion and has been doing nothing but shitting on his new team. Everything's the team's fault, nothing his.
Verstappen took that dudes mojo while giving Sainz some breathing room. Only one that didn't benefit from this was Kvyat himself.

John_B

Great stuff from Raikkonen this weekend. I think Verstappen is exciting to watch when he goes wheel to wheel, but this time around he was blocking Raikkonen rather than running smart defensive lines as he did in Canada while defending from Rosberg. Brundle also is not impressed.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...sberg-and-max-verstappens-defensive-technique
Martin Brundle said:
Max's defensive technique is too junior-formula for my liking. When he's defending, he tends to loiter in the middle of the track and then at the last moment move to the side of the track where his opponent attacks, and cut them off. It all looks a little too late - and it's asking for trouble.

Jezbollah

John_B

I'm glad he wasn't punished (though would have been fair if there had been a big collision), but he can't just drive a completely different defensive game to everyone else. Go look at how he smartly placed his car in Canada while under attack from Rosberg. Superb defensive driving. Quickly blocking so the other car behind has to evade or break is simply not proper.

I hope the Red Bull is close next season. Hamilton and Verstappen wheel to wheel could be fireworks.

Aiii

So not worth it
So Max reacts to other people moves instead of guessing beforehand. That seems like a pretty good quality to have as a driver, just because Kimi decided to sweep across instead of backing off shouldn't be on Max.

I am still questioning Kimi's critique as well, I understand he perceived two moves, but I am pretty sure the lead driver is allowed to move back to the racing line to make a corner and that seemed to be the case here.

Either way, Sky is now both arguing against "having too many rules and just let them race" as well as arguing that "drivers need to make sure they defend good and early so that faster cars can better position their easy overtakes"

You either want wheel to wheel racing or you don't, pick a side.

DD

So Max reacts to other people moves instead of guessing beforehand. That seems like a pretty good quality to have as a driver, just because Kimi decided to sweep across instead of backing off shouldn't be on Max.

I am still questioning Kimi's critique as well, I understand he perceived two moves, but I am pretty sure the lead driver is allowed to move back to the racing line to make a corner and that seemed to be the case here.

Either way, Sky is now both arguing against "having too many rules and just let them race" as well as arguing that "drivers need to make sure they defend good and early so that faster cars can better position their easy overtakes"

You either want wheel to wheel racing or you don't, pick a side.
Yes, they're allowed to do that, but in my opinion, Max came back to the left way before he should in order to get an optimal racing line. In other words, he moved twice and used the turn as an excuse, like, "look, I'm just going to the turn", just like with Prost against Senna at Suzuka in 89.

He should be penalized for that in my opinion. Kimi should too, because he was exceeding the white lines, so...

Aiii

So not worth it
Fair enough.

I have never been a fan of the one-move-only rule anyways, the only reason they introduced it to begin with is because Schumacher was similar to Max and reacted to overtake attempts rather than guessing like most drivers and most of the grid couldn't get past him during the MSC dominance years.

Hell, most of the shitty rules that ruin the sport still stem from that time. From testing limitations to slowing cars down to having every development restricted, I reckon you can all trace it back to 2001-2005 somehow.

John_B

It's not a general thing with Verstappen. He has been defending brilliantly times before without blocking.

You don't block because it leads to collisions like what happened with Rosberg and Hamilton at the Spanish Grand Prix. They were all of the sudden occupying the same line at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom