• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerTaxi

Banned
So Max reacts to other people moves instead of guessing beforehand. That seems like a pretty good quality to have as a driver, just because Kimi decided to sweep across instead of backing off shouldn't be on Max.

I am still questioning Kimi's critique as well, I understand he perceived two moves, but I am pretty sure the lead driver is allowed to move back to the racing line to make a corner and that seemed to be the case here.

Either way, Sky is now both arguing against "having too many rules and just let them race" as well as arguing that "drivers need to make sure they defend good and early so that faster cars can better position their easy overtakes"

You either want wheel to wheel racing or you don't, pick a side.

I'm probably not remembering it correctly but I think Max's second move was actually moving away from the racing line.

So Max reacts to other people moves instead of guessing beforehand. That seems like a pretty good quality to have as a driver, just because Kimi decided to sweep across instead of backing off shouldn't be on Max.

I am still questioning Kimi's critique as well, I understand he perceived two moves, but I am pretty sure the lead driver is allowed to move back to the racing line to make a corner and that seemed to be the case here.

Either way, Sky is now both arguing against "having too many rules and just let them race" as well as arguing that "drivers need to make sure they defend good and early so that faster cars can better position their easy overtakes"

You either want wheel to wheel racing or you don't, pick a side.

Rule 20.3 says you may defend once.

Max moved right after falling for the dummy, onto the normal racing line. He then moved left. Off the normal racing line. The racing line was on the complete opposite side of the track. The "taking the racing line" excuse does not work or apply.

Rule 20.5 rules against moves "liable to hinder other drivers".

Using an unprohibited second move to go diagonal in front of another driver in the braking phase is as much of a hindrance as any. It's a move that is quite frowned upon. If on the limit, the defending driver can be left with nowhere to go.

That hindrance caused a collision. Causing a collision, due to an unprohibited second defensive move that hindered another driver, is as slam dunk as you're going to get.

Which is why people don't get why he wasn't even at the very least investigated.

Mastah

Rumors were true, James Allison left Ferrari:

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 1m1 minute ago

So @ScuderiaFerrari has officially confirmed that James Allison is leaving after all... Mattia Binotto becomes chief technical officer

Mastah

That can be the case, but he has lost wife this year, who was living with their kids in Britain. I think it is rather personal choice.

They really love to put all the blame on a couple of people each year and shuffle them out huh?

They can't blame Alonso or Montezemolo this time....

The Italian press is saying there was some friction between Allison and Marchionne/Arrivabene about how to handle things but I guess the main reason to split has to be the issues with her family.

NHale

Rumors were true, James Allison left Ferrari:

My prediction in 2014:

The Ferrari cycle is Year 1: Technical saviour, Year 2: It takes time to fix the windtunnel, Year 3: Scapegoat. So in 2016 he's gone.

Ferrari is so predictable. What a complete disaster.

Now let's wait until he returns to Enstone and turns Renault into a winning car in the next 2 years.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That can be the case, but he has lost wife this year, who was living with their kids in Britain. I think it is rather personal choice.

Yeah, probably he will be on the gardening leave till the end of the year. I do not know in what kind of relationship he has with Renault, but apparently they were trying to get him back for last few months. But other teams have him high on the list...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why have him in gardening leave? It's not like he's walking away from Ferrari with winning designs and ideas.
It is some kind of unwritten rule in F1 that senior engineers/high profile staff take gardening leave after they leave the team, before signing up with new one... but it will depend on the agreement between Allison and Ferrari when he can sign for a new employer. It could be one month or one year...

My prediction in 2014:

Ferrari is so predictable. What a complete disaster.

Now let's wait until he returns to Enstone and turns Renault into a winning car in the next 2 years.

He didn't even manage that with Ferrari. Most of the gains came from the power unit. Chassis still lacks downforce and has a horrible operating window.

It is some kind of unwritten rule in F1 that senior engineers/high profile staff take gardening leave after they leave the team, before signing up with new one... but it will depend on the agreement between Allison and Ferrari when he can sign for a new employer. It could be one month or one year...
This usually even happens with high profile drivers as well. I think Mercedes had to give McLaren an engine discount to get him into the facilities earlier and I think Red Bull pulled that on Vettel when he went to Ferrari as well.

DD

So, there's this amazing website called "Projeto Motor" focused on the history of F1, and they are posting a series of articles called "Unveiling the Style of the Geniuses", explaining what was so special about their driving styles. I think that it's an interesting read, so I'm sharing with you guys. It's a Brazilian website, so it's written in Portuguese only, unfortunately. But Google Translator might be helpful here. They've released the second chapter today. The first one is about Ayrton Senna and today's one is about Michael Schumacher.

Ayrton Senna: The Master of the Kicks

Michael Schumacher: The Juggler of the Pedals

NHale

He didn't even manage that with Ferrari. Most of the gains came from the power unit. Chassis still lacks downforce and has a horrible operating window.

Aldo Costa didn't managed it to do it at Ferrari as well and got fired from Ferrari. Then he went to Mercedes and designed the car that started the current domination at Mercedes that allows Lewis to win WDC.

They hired James Allison because he was very successful at Lotus, goes to Ferrari and nothing changes. Always close but never close enough to be a constant winning contender. It's been this way since the testing ban.

There are reasons why Ferrari keeps firing people and the end result stays the same since it's very well documented that Ferrari isn't the best place to work especially because of the politics being played inside the team since Todt and Brawn left. Remove the biggest advantage they had (budget and testing at Fiorano 16hrs/day) and you have the current Ferrari.

Aldo Costa didn't managed it to do it at Ferrari as well and got fired from Ferrari. Then he went to Mercedes and designed the car that started the current domination at Mercedes that allows Lewis to win WDC.

They hired James Allison because he was very successful at Lotus, goes to Ferrari and nothing changes. Always close but never close enough to be a constant winning contender. It's been this way since the testing ban.

There are reasons why Ferrari keeps firing people and the end result stays the same since it's very well documented that Ferrari isn't the best place to work especially because of the politics being played inside the team since Todt and Brawn left. Remove the biggest advantage they had (budget and testing at Fiorano 16hrs/day) and you have the current Ferrari.

Except that he did. His first Ferrari nearly won WDC in 2006 (despite Bridgestone lagging behind the Michelins), won it all in 2007 and won the WCC in 2008.

And in 2010, they had an amazing development rate and could have won the WDC if it weren't for the stupid strategy decision in Abu Dhabi to mirror Webber instead of Vettel.

Allison's success at Lotus is overstated, though. Car benefited greatly from the cheese tyres and Renault's advantage in cold-blowing.

Except that he did. His first Ferrari nearly won WDC in 2006 (despite Bridgestone lagging behind the Michelins), won it all in 2007 and won the WCC in 2008.

And in 2010, they had an amazing development rate and could have won the WDC if it weren't for the stupid strategy decision in Abu Dhabi to mirror Webber instead of Vettel.

Allison's success at Lotus is overstated, though. Car benefited greatly from the cheese tyres and Renault's advantage in cold-blowing.
Didn't McLaren technically win the WCC in 2007, but 2007 being what it was they got thrown out of the championship?

Zaru

Didn't McLaren technically win the WCC in 2007, but 2007 being what it was they got thrown out of the championship?

Their points from Hungary (the Alonso and Hamilton pit holdup situation) were excluded either way, which meant they'd have lost regardless of the total exclusion (203 vs. 204 points)

Mastah

Not so many years ago, it was full of people. Now it is full of itself:

Parc Fermé ‏@PFF1

Hockenheim starts to look like China. Grandstands in T1 covered. #GermanGP

CoYWdG2WgAQVJTe.jpg

Their points from Hungary (the Alonso and Hamilton pit holdup situation) were excluded either way, which meant they'd have lost regardless of the total exclusion (203 vs. 204 points)
God damn...if only Dennis managed that shit better. One fucking point...shit, have fun holding that L Dennis.

Zaru

God damn...if only Dennis managed that shit better. One fucking point...shit, have fun holding that L Dennis.

That year was such a terrible time for McLaren that I'm surprised they bounced back in 2008.

Losing both the driver championship AND the constructor championship by such a small margin. Espionage scandal. Getting excluded from the WCC. Unable to keep Alonso for more than a year.

And worst of all, I had stopped watching F1 just before that season and missed out on all the fun.

That year was such a terrible time for McLaren that I'm surprised they bounced back in 2008.

Losing both the driver championship AND the constructor championship by such a small margin. Espionage scandal. Getting excluded from the WCC. Unable to keep Alonso for more than a year.

And worst of all, I had stopped watching F1 just before that season and missed out on all the fun.
I honestly think they did it to themselves...though I don't remember who to blame for the espionage thing. They bounced back in 08, took forever to get their shit in gear in 09, 2010 was steady, but Hamilton fucking up in Monza and I think the race before that didn't help at all, then you have 2011 "hooray we're second best with Button let's treat him like a god now." Then you have that fucking debacle of 2012.

I honestly think they did it to themselves...though I don't remember who to blame for the espionage thing. They bounced back in 08, took forever to get their shit in gear in 09, 2010 was steady, but Hamilton fucking up in Monza and I think the race before that didn't help at all, then you have 2011 "hooray we're second best with Button let's treat him like a god now." Then you have that fucking debacle of 2012.

Hamilton fucked up his downforce package in Monza (should have gone the high DF route like Button). The writing was on the wall anyway as McLaren had been left behind by RBR and Ferrari since the introduction of the exhaust blown diffusers (EBDs). Ferrari's chassis adapted much better than McLaren's.

Ironic you say that because he committed the least amount of unforced errors of all WDC contenders in 2010 (remember, this was Vettel's "crash kid" year, Webber's pace dropped after summer as developments favored Vettel, Alonso committed rare unforced errors (spin out at Spa for instance) and even got outpaced by Massa ("faster than you"), etc.

Hamilton fucked up his downforce package in Monza (should have gone the high DF route like Button). The writing was on the wall anyway as McLaren had been left behind by RBR and Ferrari since the introduction of the exhaust blown diffusers (EBDs). Ferrari's chassis adapted much better than McLaren's.

Ironic you say that because he committed the least amount of unforced errors of all WDC contenders in 2010 (remember, this was Vettel's "crash kid" year, Webber's pace dropped after summer as developments favored Vettel, Alonso committed rare unforced errors (spin out at Spa for instance) and even got outpaced by Massa ("faster than you"), etc.
I do keep forgetting about that. I guess some of the stuff I've read throw shade on him for that year. Granted he would've had to be perfect...either that or he'd have to keep his fucking wheel attached while he was what...3rd at Hungary I think it was? To get that championship. He had a good car for the first half of that season, then it sort of fell away from him, at least he won Spa, that was a good ass race from what I remember.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder on which race will Mercedes take the penalty for new PU for Lewis

And Aldo Costa probably received new offer from Ferrari... it is easy to forget the past lol

spuckthew

Oh 2010, such a close season. I know Vettel had a lot of mechanical DNFs, but even just Hamilton's tyre bursting on the penultimate lap in Spain would have given him an extra 18 points - enough for the WDC that year.

dalin80

Banned
Oh 2010, such a close season. I know Vettel had a lot of mechanical DNFs, but even just Hamilton's tyre bursting on the penultimate lap in Spain would have given him an extra 18 points - enough for the WDC that year.

Same with 2012, Hamilton would have walked away with the WDC if mechanical failures were balanced out. Lost something like 100 points to breakdowns. Retiring from the lead *again* was what supposedly pushed him to joining merc, which many said was a mistake at the time...

Same with 2012, Hamilton would have walked away with the WDC if mechanical failures were balanced out. Lost something like 100 points to breakdowns. Retiring from the lead *again* was what supposedly pushed him to joining merc, which many said was a mistake at the time...
That god damn season broke my heart, but you know what. I'm happier with him at Mercedes currently. If Hamilton was still at McLaren I'd be on suicide watch.

I do keep forgetting about that. I guess some of the stuff I've read throw shade on him for that year. Granted he would've had to be perfect...either that or he'd have to keep his fucking wheel attached while he was what...3rd at Hungary I think it was? To get that championship. He had a good car for the first half of that season, then it sort of fell away from him, at least he won Spa, that was a good ass race from what I remember.

Don't know why. He deserves shade for 2011, but not for 2010 IMO.

In Hungary 2010, he did have a gearbox failure, but McLaren wasn't fast enough to contend.

You're probably referring to Spain. That was a dominant performance by Lewis too - he was about a minute ahead of Jenson before he crashed...

I wonder on which race will Mercedes take the penalty for new PU for Lewis

And Aldo Costa probably received new offer from Ferrari... it is easy to forget the past lol

No way Costa goes back, IMO. Well... I'd hope not. Also, wasn't he happy at Mercedes?

Don't know why. He deserves shade for 2011, but not for 2010 IMO.

In Hungary 2010, he did have a gearbox failure, but McLaren wasn't fast enough to contend.

You're probably referring to Spain. That was a dominant performance by Lewis too - he was about a minute ahead of Jenson before he crashed...
Yeah I was thinking of Spain. I think people seemed to think he was too inconsistent in 2010 or something. In 2011 he just lost his shit and most likely just got tired of trying to over perform to contend with Vettel. Even then he still had some decent races. I think China and the Germany race were his best from that year.

spuckthew

He also won in Abu Dhabi '11 (admittedly after Vettel fluffing the first corner and handing over the lead), but it was a very consistent and controlled performance if memory serves.

Yeah I was thinking of Spain. I think people seemed to think he was too inconsistent in 2010 or something. In 2011 he just lost his shit and most likely just got tired of trying to over perform to contend with Vettel. Even then he still had some decent races. I think China and the Germany race were his best from that year.

He had personal issues in 2011 too... with his family and Nicole (mostly the latter, I assume).

China 2011 and Germany 2011 are two of his finest wins (and some of the best Pirelli-era wins). China won on an aggressive 3-stopper and clawed back his way through the field after nearly missing the GP altogether due to a fuel leak pre-start.

And Germany was a three-way with Webber and Alonso from start to finish (something incredibly rare in today's F1)... and he schooled Alonso around the outside of T2/T3 at Nurburgring.

He also won in Abu Dhabi '11 (admittedly after Vettel fluffing the first corner and handing over the lead), but it was a very consistent and controlled performance if memory serves.
I know all about Abu Dhabi 2011 I just think it's as good of a drive as China and Germany 2011. Those two are still some of the best in his career.

He had personal issues in 2011 too... with his family and Nicole (mostly the latter, I assume).

China 2011 and Germany 2011 are two of his finest wins (and some of the best Pirelli-era wins). China won on an aggressive 3-stopper and clawed back his way through the field after nearly missing the GP altogether due to a fuel leak pre-start.

And Germany was a three-way with Webber and Alonso from start to finish (something incredibly rare in today's F1)... and he schooled Alonso around the outside of T2/T3 at Nurburgring.
I kind of wish he broke up with Nicole permanently sooner. Now that she isn't on his mind he's been driving a lot better and seems happier. I know it wasn't just her effecting him, had to be McLaren pressure as well too. Wasn't that also the year he fired his dad as his manager?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No way Costa goes back, IMO. Well... I'd hope not. Also, wasn't he happy at Mercedes?
I also highly doubt that the would return, just to be sacked once more :p Plus Mercedes would not leave him without extensive gardening period

Mastah

Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega 2m2 minutes ago

No habrá cambios en las salidas con safety car en condiciones d lluvia. Se mantiene el sistema. Sin unanimidad respecto a salida parada

No changes to Safety Car starts procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom