• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Hockenheim pains my soul. I miss that old circuit so much it hurts.

Was watching Barrichello footage from 2000 and thought, what glorious track is this? After a few seconds it sank in and got depressed.:( Funny how F1 shows us all the footage from the glorydays only to make it more painful how backwards some aspects of F1 racing have become.

Zeknurn

@ScarbsTech
F1 welcomes @lidl
206bLg1.jpg

Go team lidl

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 5m5 minutes ago

#F1 Strategy group: No Halo in 2017. Maybe later. Radio ban lifted during races. Track limits will not be penalized anymore. #AMuS

FIA can still introduce it on safety grounds, though.

Elros

No more ridiculous penalties because of the radio looks like a good thing to me, at least we'll have more radio coms to listen to keep us awake during boring races.

No more ridiculous penalties because of the radio looks like a good thing to me, at least we'll have more radio coms to listen to keep us awake during boring races.

That's exactly the problem with F1 though. They fucked up with the penalties (radio and track), so instead of putting a well thought out rule in, they just scrap it.

andshrew

I don't think it's a step into good direction. I don't want to hear "brake 10 metres later because your team mate does it" again :/

So don't broadcast that stuff and no one knows any different. These sort of conversations have probably been going on since the radios were first introduced, it just happens over the last few years they've started broadcasting more and more. This seems the most sensible way of dealing with it.

Moozo

I saw some very empty grandstands in Silverstone too, but as long as the circuit owners can cough up the dough, it doesn't matter if the track is empty
That's down to the bullshit ticket pricing upgrades required to sit in a grandstand even if it's empty. It was a near-record attendance, just most people were in general admission.

Mastah

So don't broadcast that stuff and no one knows any different. These sort of conversations have probably been going on since the radios were first introduced, it just happens over the last few years they've started broadcasting more and more. This seems the most sensible way of dealing with it.

But it takes away advantage from better skilled drivers, who can find their feet on their own and that is a problem, broadcast or not.

CoeBWc6WcAANapb.jpg:large

Elros

That's exactly the problem with F1 though. They fucked up with the penalties (radio and track), so instead of putting a well thought out rule in, they just scrap it.

I don't think it's a step into good direction. I don't want to hear "brake 10 metres later because your team mate does it" again :/
Maybe they are planning on reworking this rule for 2017. I agree with you though, I don't want the drivers to be told how to drive constantly by their team, but the rule as it was for the last races was just not good.

Radio ban lifted? What the hell are these clowns doing.....

So we have driver coaching again, where engineers can tell drivers where and when to brake, what gear to use in corners, what brake balance to use, what diff settings to use and all the other bollocks we had before?

Please say it's not true.

yami4ct

Maybe they are planning on reworking this rule for 2017. I agree with you though, I don't want the drivers to be told how to drive constantly by their team, but the rule as it was for the last races was just not good.

The rule as it stands for the last race wasn't good, but that doesn't mean we need to go completely the opposite direction. There's a middle ground. Ban teams from telling the driver how to race, but allow them to talk through problems with the car. That pretty much is what everyone wants at this point.

The Not Enforcing Track Limits thing is insane as well. Why? Who gains from that? The kerb sensors were a consistent and fair way to deal with the issue. Track limits are limits for a reason. That's a rule change that seems like it's gonna disappear as soon as drivers find on a track that driving straight through the middle of a chicane is faster than actually racing the track as it was supposed to be.

John_B

Teams telling drivers where and how to improve is not very sexy. The whole radio ban felt like an artificial way to create excitement. When a driver has an issue it usually results in change of position unless the team can guide the driver to either nurse or fix it. When Perez went into a wall it should have been the end of that experiment. The radio ban was already racking up ridicules situations and penalties.

How the hell is Jenson Button supposed to know what causes his break pedal to go to the floor? Is there a menu on his steering wheel he can access to run diagnostics and then another menu to access a list of error codes? Anyone here working in IT can agree to the amount of documentation they constantly have to refer to because it's impossible to remember every detail about complex systems. The current F1 cars are build to be serviced by the vast amount of engineers that build it. The drivers have zero chance to succeed at this.

The additional tyre compound option was a great success. It gave teams more ways to run a race. Giving drivers and teams more options is better than introducing penalties to shake up the running order.

Can we please just go back to manual stick shifts and minimal driver aids?

I thought the way the cars in the late 80s and early 90s worked was best combo of technology.

Make the damn things so that if all electronics fail, they can still drive it like a normal manual car.

DBT85

Radio is back. Woop.

Can we please just go back to manual stick shifts and minimal driver aids?

I thought the way the cars in the late 80s and early 90s worked was best combo of technology.

Make the damn things so that if all electronics fail, they can still drive it like a normal manual car.
Erm. If you drive a normal manual car and your electronics fail you're fucked. The idea of dragging the sport backwards is madness.

Juicy Bob

So Nico Rosberg gets points taken away for being punished for a rule that now no longer applies for the rest of the season?

How is that possibly fair? I agree with the move, but this is totally unacceptable that Rosberg lost points for doing something that was illegal one race but now not for the rest of the season.

Aiii

So not worth it
So Nico Rosberg gets points taken away for being punished for a rule that now no longer applies for the rest of the season?

How is that possibly fair? I agree with the move, but this is totally unacceptable that Rosberg lost points for doing something that was illegal one race but now not for the rest of the season.

Because it was a rule back when he broke it. Really isn't unfair at all, the rule wasn't just for Rosberg, it was for everyone, he is just the one that broke it and that is still on him and his team.

Fox Mulder

Lol f1.

All the dumbass rule changes and indecisiveness is pathetic.

Radio limits are fine when limiting driver coaching, they just needed to pull them back a bit, but nope of course they wouldn't just do that.

Drivers have been punished for rules that didn't exist too. Oh F1.

Haroldo

Why is always Toto Wolff saying stuff like "oh, our rivals are very close we must be careful" or "Hamilton had a problem that almost cost us the race"??
It just sounds so forced...
Is he a jerk???

DBT85

They still have the beeps anyway, so they're still being told when to let off the accelerator and brake.

Not sure that the beeps work for when to accelerate or brake, as the track conditions change constantly and it would rarely be accurate.

They do however have gear changes on the beeps which is no different to having it on the lights on the dash.

I'd prefer radio to be slightly restricted, but if they can't get it right then just lift it all. Not being able to inform Button last week was the most ridiculous thing. Interesting to see that now everything has to be available to be broadcast. I thought that was already the case.

Radio is back, which mean Lewis secures championship.

He's leading despite the radio ban and multiple engine failures.

But sure, he'll win it because the radio is back.

59582627.jpg

hamchan

"And on our left we see the ancient motorsport called Formula 1 that was run during the 20th and early 21st century. It was initially highly successful but mismanagement ruined what was once a great thing. Thankfully the fall of Formula 1 led to the creation of the current most popular racing series, the F-Zero Grand Prix."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom