• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Summary:

* Ferrari are slowed down by a turbocharger issue, which they hope to fix until Spain
* GPS data shows that Ferrari stop accelerating in the second half of the straight
* both Vettel and Räikkönen get new control electronics in only the second race of the season
* the new engine is hugely improved, but the turbocharger causes issues
* new turbo can run with a higher boost, but then the MGU-H cannot recover enough energy to charge the batteries
* engine goes into charging mode in the second half of the straight, which costs power
* spinning the turbine too high can cause failures; Räikkönen's turbocharger overheated in Melbourne, which caused the fire in the airbox

___

* problem emerged during testing and Ferrari, unsuccessfully, tried to fix it with new software
* Ferrari car is quick in the corners and good on its tyres, but they lose time on the straights in Bahrain
* in conjunction with Honeywell a new turbocharger has been developed, but lead times in turbocharger development are up to 12 weeks
* Ferrari hope to have the fix ready until the first European races
* restricted power costs 0,5sec/lap so if the fix works they would make a big step towards Mercedes
* turbocharger experts warn that in this area weaknesses might not be cured on the first attempt

Staab

Sigh... Ferrari gonna Ferrari..

if we're really down to McLaren as our last hope to challenge Mercedes for this season, we might as well just slit our throats right fucking now =/

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Nah, Mercedes is still having hidden reserves. They are just playing the cards close to their chests. And they will have their first major upgrade right in time for Barcelona.

Pretty much. If they have to they can be one second ahead easily. Just don't do it because then rules would be changed. By playing their cards right they can keep their advantage for years to come. We've seen one or two races last season where when they needed to they could drive a second per lap faster than everybody else.

Hasney

if we're really down to McLaren as our last hope to challenge Mercedes for this season, we might as well just slit our throats right fucking now =/

I think I'll just choose not to watch if it's all the same with you. It is OK to back out of the F1 OT suicide cult, right?

NHale

China will be even worse for them than Bahrain. Even Russia will be a huge problem.

If true they are fucked and unless Mercedes screws up anything they will probably be around 50-60 points behind the leading Mercedes driver after 4 races.

And then of course if the issue isn't solved by Spain, Ferrari could simply use their most common excuse in the book and "start focusing on next year car and the new regulations".

Of course if Button somehow gets 3rd tomorrow at qualifying the world will end so this might be a moot point (RBR believes they are already behind McLaren ffs).

Ark

How are you guys not used to boring domination yet? It's been this way for so long now. Just enjoy the races for what they are, and the individual fights happening throughout the standings.

Yeah it's boring, but you can still enjoy the sport instead of constantly parroting the same negativity over and over.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Some better analysis of the Ferrari issue on f1technical.

They reckon that Ferrari have larger turbo this year and to overcome the lag associated with this turbo they are using MGU-K power to spool it up.
This is taking away from potential MGU-K power hence why they are running out of steam on long straights.
Very like McLaren from last year who ran out of MGU-K on straights.

Zaru

How are you guys not used to boring domination yet? It's been this way for so long now. Just enjoy the races for what they are, and the individual fights happening throughout the standings.

Luckily in some races the Merc cars are shown so little that you can pretend that only the other cars matter.

Business

Yeah it's boring, but you can still enjoy the sport instead of constantly parroting the same negativity over and over.

Good post. I have the feeling many people here thinks negativity somehow portraits them as the bigger conoisseurs, which often turns F1 threads into only a cynicism contest.

There are interesting things to look for in every race, if you can't find them watch something else.

Fox Mulder

Anyone looking for a fun Android/iOS game should check out Motorsport Manager.

Really well made racing management sim. Good production value and it's only 99 cents (I thin it was free on iOS at some point this week.. Not sure if that's still the case).

There are micro transactions but they are only cheats to get more money. Not really any p2w stuff and it's only offline anyway.

Fun game, wish this shit was in the f1 game. Id love a career like this, too bad FOM are cunts.

chadskin

Bernie's right, they're all windbags because:

“Social media lit up the day it was announced,” Button, the most experience driver on the grid, said. “With pay TV, it’s not cheap for most of the fans of the sport. Football is a massive sport, bigger than F1. And if they have the choice to pay for one or the other they’ll go for football. We’ve seen in Germany it’s hurt the sport dramatically. All I can say is the fans aren’t happy at all.”

F1 has been on free TV in Germany for at least the last 20 years, all races even. Get yo facts straight Jenson!

Bernie's still a massive cunt though

On the bright side, AMuS says the issue costs Ferrari about 0.5s per lap which means they'd definitely give the Mercs a run for their money.

It's up to 0.5s a lap on a track like Bahrain, meaning that it would be much less around, say, Barcelona or Monaco.

And this may cost Ferrari between 2 to 4 tokens, unless they are able to make the changes on reliability grounds, which may be unlikely.

Nah, Mercedes is still having hidden reserves. They are just playing the cards close to their chests. And they will have their first major upgrade right in time for Barcelona.

Did Mercedes announce any engine upgrades?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
FFS, Ferrari.

If they don't find a short-term way to mitigate this issue, they will be slaughtered on the straights and have a hard time to hold track position.

I really cant believe how ferrari went from a team making huge leaps abd bounds of technical progress and making a name of being the most reliable car on track in 2000s to.. basically this..

hadareud

The Translator
Bernie's right, they're all windbags because:

F1 has been on free TV in Germany for at least the last 20 years, all races even. Get yo facts straight Jenson!

Bernie's still a massive cunt though

I wouldn't watch RTL if they paid me for it.

There's free and then there's "free".

Mastah

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 59s59 seconds ago

Behind the scenes McLaren and Alonso have been knocking on every door and kicking every desk to get him in the car today. FIA says 'no'

Patrick S.

Banned
I wouldn't watch RTL if they paid me for it.

There's free and then there's "free".

It's good during F1 races, the target audience then is not RTL's typical audience. Just make sure to immediately change channels the second the race coverage is over.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Formula 3 Race 1 at Paul Ricard was a bit boring. No collision shenanigans typical of last season.

Lance Stroll won.

Adrian Newey's son Harrison finished 9th, while Nelson Piquet's son Pedro finished outside of the points in 11th.

Lego Boss

The only team that are going to challenge Mercs this season are . . . Mercedes!

I've lost interest in the sport, it's really just tearing itself apart in avery public and comic manner.

A real shame as I was brought up on this. It feels a bit like how rallying was in the 1980s: it was once the very best the motorsport had to offer and now it's a sad imitation of itself.

There are some great drivers there, but the machinery fails them. It should NEVER be solely due to the tech that drivers can exhibit their skills, but that's what we have now.

Mastah

Fred
banderas.png

Staab

That was a pretty sick burn, slightly mean :p
Alonso must be feeling crampy from not being able to try for the podium in Bahrein >:)

Jean Todt on new qualifying format, when told of fan of backlash: we decide whats best for the fans.
Jean Balestre would be proud of that quote.

tomtom94

Jean Todt on new qualifying format, when told of fan of backlash: we decide whats best for the fans.
Jean Balestre would be proud of that quote.

I can see what he's trying to say but that's a shitty way of saying it.

Also, Todt is such an arsehole. I suspect Max Mosley spends a lot of time muttering "I told you so" under his breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom