• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
iWKad22.jpg

jfh4tJ3.png

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@adamcooperF1
Predictably Bernie and Todt were not keen to go back to 2015 rules and indeed one boss told me that wasn't even on the table today

@adamcooperF1
Instead new ideas were floated - three according to Paul Hembery - and they will be evaluated this week and discussed again on Thursday

@adamcooperF1
Team bosses don't seem too happy that we are not going straight back to 2015 rules but they hint that new ideas might be good

Zeknurn

If only they were to put the same amount of focus on the actual problems with F1 rather than if they should revert qualifying or not. I bet this is Todt and Bernie scheming to do some other change behind the scenes.

tomtom94

The presence of Hembery suggests that they've realised tyres are the number one problem with qualifying no matter what format is used...

The presence of Hembery suggests that they've realised tyres are the number one problem with qualifying no matter what format is used...

Or perhaps simply that any change to the qualifying format will have implications for tyre use and supply, and given the rather urgent nature of the discussions, they realise the need to bring Pirelli in from the start.

Theorry

If this keeps going on we have 5 different kind of qualy this season. Just go back to the 2015 system and really work something good for 2017 if they really want to change it.

John_B

Haha, Hamilton looks awesome in those traditional garments.

Getting away from being a PR-dummy has made him totally fun to follow.

Joni

Give everyone one specific set for qualifying which can't be used for the race, everyone gets the same type of set. Make the tyres a non-issue in this thing.

h3ro

They couldn't decide on a qualy format? Shocking! The aggregate proposal actually doesn't seem too bad though if they could get the tire situation sorted. Fixing what wasn't broken is basically F1 in a nutshell.

Casual racism is hilarious!

TCRS

Banned
Haha, Hamilton looks awesome in those traditional garments.

Getting away from being a PR-dummy has made him totally fun to follow.

yeah I like him this way. living a superstar life like formula 1 drivers of old, partying with hollywood hotties and just not giving a fuck. not like the sterile squeaky clean german champions of late. or just drunk and dumb like raikkonen.

Casual racism is hilarious!
eh?

Joni

They already got that for Q3.

Mixed with rules like having to start on the set they used when the qualified in the top 8 during the second session. And of course, possibly burning through a soft set in those sessions. Just one set that is the same for everyone gives less headaches. Maybe make it the slowest set which is a lot more durable so you can get a lot more laps. Maybe even the one that takes a couple of laps to warm up so they have to be out more instead of the one that is ruined after one good lap.

Orbis

If they really want people on track and insist on having absurd formats then let's have the set times 'degrade' over time. Set a lap as a 1:29.203 and 90 seconds later it becomes a 1:29.403. Slowest driver eliminated every 90 seconds.

In all seriousness we were fine with the 2015 format and did not need to change it literally just before the season start. With time and thought, they could've come up with something decent for 2017. But this is F1.

F1 has been hard to endure for some time. But this qualify system debacle is so fucking retarded that it has failed to make me pissed about it. I'm not even annoyed, to be honest.

In two weeks, WEC is gonna start again and I'll get my awesome racing fix.

I'm spoilt today as i have MotoGP and Touring Cars for racing then some F1 for a little afternoon nap :) WEC soon is a bonus.

F1 has been my fallback racing choice for a few years now and if RoboRace shapes up well then F1 could fall further down my list again.

F1 has been hard to endure for some time. But this qualify system debacle is so fucking retarded that it has failed to make me pissed about it. I'm not even annoyed, to be honest.

How do you watch a six hour WEC race?

How do you watch a six hour WEC race?

Confortably =)

But seriously, the multiclass races, the no-bullshit regulation, the big brands, and the wildly different levels of skills in the field makes all races very interesting because all of these factors add up to very dinamic racing. To the point, at least in my case, that I end up so invested in following my favorite cars along, with live timing and whatnot, that I don't see the hours passing by.

6 hours isn't something for everyone, granted, but I enjoy it beacause WEC races aren't boring. On the other hand, I'd probably shoot myself at the mere thought of watch a F1 race for more than two hours. 1h30 seems to be a strecht lately.

Mastah

That doesn't really reflect what would happen. Drivers yesterday did not set laps knowing that two good laps would be needed in a hypothetical aggregate ranking. In an actual aggregate session they'd try to set two solid laps because they know they need to.

Yeah, I know. It just highlights that no matter what system (unless it penalises success with time penalty, ballast, etc.), it will be Mercedes first, sometimes mixed with Ferrari and then the rest 1-1.5 second behind.

And as you mentioned, aggregate system promotes consistency over full attack, which for me stands in opposition to F1 should be - pushing limits. But I guess laps like HAM's yesterday or such like these aren't exciting enough :/

Ruruja

I'd go back to one lap quali

The problem with that was they complained that a driver upon seeing their time beaten, didn't get to go again to improve.

Also, on dry qualifying (which is most of the time) the top guys got to go latest which meant they had a better, more rubbered-in track to do their laps on so it didn't really shake up the grid, unless there was a rain shower near the end.

But I guess laps like HAM's yesterday or such like these aren't exciting enough :/

F1 will never sound or be as exciting as that ever again.

ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

kharma45

The problem with that was they complained that a driver upon seeing their time beaten, didn't get to go again to improve.

Also, on dry qualifying (which is most of the time) the top guys got to go latest which meant they had a better, more rubbered-in track to do their laps on so it didn't really shake up the grid, unless there was a rain shower near the end.

Well that's the whole point surely, it's do or die.

You could always do a reverse quali, where the higher you are in the championship the earlier you go out, to give those lower down a chance to qualify a bit better. Not that it'd stop the Merc's blasting around and nailing it, but I always liked the idea of one lap quali. Plenty of pressure on the driver and no one out there to get in your way.

Orbis

And as you mentioned, aggregate system promotes consistency over full attack, which for me stands in opposition to F1 should be - pushing limits. But I guess laps like HAM's yesterday or such like these aren't exciting enough :/
Absolutely, this was the issue before with us having heavy fuelled qualifying sessions, we just want to see drivers pushing flat out to get the fastest possible lap.

I find it really fucking frustrating that they won't even consider the 2015 system. If we switch to aggregate now and fans hate it (they will), F1 will look so, so stupid. Again.

While we're on the topic, here's another wild suggestion for qualifying: Q3 is actually just four drivers who get one single lap attempt at pole. Q1 and Q2 are either elimination or 2015 format (except Q2 decides down to 5th place). Hypothetically you could see the 4th fastest driver taking pole by virtue of not fucking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom